Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Panniers racks - are they universal?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration
View previous topic : View next topic  

CorriganJ
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 15:09 - 05 May 2020    Post subject: Panniers racks - are they universal? Reply with quote

Im trying to wrap my head around panniers for long distance travel. I think I want soft side bags and a hard top box, but for the side bags, do they just mount to a generic universal mount, or do I need to get a specific one for my bike (hyosung gt 125 comet)?

Also does anyone know good soft bags that can be worn as both a backpack or a messenger bag? Bonus points if they would work as carry on luggage for flights. Thank you

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 16:25 - 05 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Soft panniers usually have two adjustable straps that sit on top of the saddle and the panniers hang down either side.

Some have an additional strap you put under the saddle to stop them sliding off to one side or the other. Some have straps on the pannier itself you attach to a frame rail/footpeg hanger for the same reason.

So likes of the oxford sports ones, you pop the saddle up, put a velcro strap across under the saddle then put the saddle down and put the two main velcro straps over the saddle. With my ortleib ones, you join them together with two velcro straps then drop them down over the top of the saddle. Then there are two adjustable straps at the front that clip to the pillion peg hangers and a third one that goes round the back of the tailpiece.

You can fit pannier rails for them to rest against so they don't rub the paintwork on the tailpiece, Many rear racks will have pannier rails incorporated in them. Or you can put some sort of protective matting over first, or use helicopter tape to protect the paint. Or don't bother and put up with rubbed paint.

The important bit is you attach them in such a way as they can't touch the exhaust or get pulled into the back wheel.

Lomo watersports (makers of canoe dry-bags and wetsuits) are doing some remarkably cheap, waterproof throwover motorcycle panniers. £50 a set last time I looked. Waterproof enough to throw in a river and expect the contents to staty dry. Also no zips, which is what always breaks on soft luggage and is never included in the warranty.

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:29 - 05 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Generally there will be a bike specific fitting kit, it was easier when most bikes had twin shocks.
You might still get a small set will more or less sit over the seat and rub paint off your sidepanels.
Top Boxes are similar but if you can fit a rack you can get a more generic box will clamp or bolt to it somehow.

You can spend a lot of money on this sort of thing and you won't get it back trading with the bike
Consider the soft bag options which you can strap on the pillion (or rack) they can be altogether more versatile and easier to swap bikes.

A tank bag is good for more valuable bits and pieces like camera and paperwork, you can just lift it off and carry over shoulder and you have a decent chance of adapting it to future bikes.

At touristy locations I'd risk leaving a soft bag strapped to pillion if it didn't contain anything especially valuable, most people are reasonably respectful and probably assume it might mostly contain two weeks worth of used undercrackers.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

CorriganJ
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 16:50 - 05 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:

You can fit pannier rails for them to rest against

Yeah I guess this is what I was thinking about - is there a universal set? Because I can't find specific kits

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 17:08 - 05 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I personally was going to use throwovers for touring on a GT125. I'd get a set of those lomo waterproof ones and I'd stick a wide strip of clear helicopter tape/rhino tape along the plastics for them to rest on.

Probably wont be able to fit a "universal" rack without some metal bracket fabricating. As doggone says, you used to get them for twinshock bikes which attach to the top shock mounts but monoshock bikes are too varied in their setup to make this workable.

A company called shad seem to make a rear rack with integral pannier rails for your bike.

Again as above, lomo drybags are great. Strap them to the pillion seat with bungees/rokstraps. Some of them convert to backpacks. They are good, tough and cheap. The side-entry ones are easier to live with because it's easier to get stuff out from the bottom of the bag. If you order stuff from there, get some of their bungees too, they are properly strong ones.

CorriganJ
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 20:17 - 05 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
If I personally was going to use throwovers for touring on a GT125. I'd get a set of those lomo waterproof ones and I'd stick a wide strip of clear helicopter tape/rhino tape along the plastics for them to rest on.

Probably wont be able to fit a "universal" rack without some metal bracket fabricating. As doggone says, you used to get them for twinshock bikes which attach to the top shock mounts but monoshock bikes are too varied in their setup to make this workable.

A company called shad seem to make a rear rack with integral pannier rails for your bike.

Again as above, lomo drybags are great. Strap them to the pillion seat with bungees/rokstraps. Some of them convert to backpacks. They are good, tough and cheap. The side-entry ones are easier to live with because it's easier to get stuff out from the bottom of the bag. If you order stuff from there, get some of their bungees too, they are properly strong ones.

Its not techically touring as such - its moving house and I have to take everything I own with me via bike. So I guess what I'm saying is the solution doesn't need to be pretty, just functional

And then ideally having a way to carry a laptop bag to work. afterwards
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 350 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1