Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

What type of bike have you had most 'fun' on?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

droog
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 21:52 - 06 May 2020    Post subject: What type of bike have you had most 'fun' on? Reply with quote

'Fun' is kind of a cheesy expression but I can't sum up the concept any better than this. Sad

I guess this is principally a sport v naked question - I'm in the market for a mid-noughties litre sportsbike but I've got a sneaking suspicion that in terms of actual fun and happiness something like a Kawasaki Z1000 or similar naked would be the better option for me.

It's based on the idea that these bikes are designed to be used and experienced in different 'zones' - and that you should choose a bike based on the kind of 'zone' you spend most of your time in - whether that is the road or the track - or maybe this is just horsesh*t Mr. Green which is why I'm interested in your opinions.

I remember reading a Bike magazine article where a 954 Blade and a Kawasaki Z1000 went back to back on the public road. The upshot of the article was that while the Blade represented the pinnacle (at the time) of motorcycle performance and technology the Z Thou was the more rewarding and fun bike to ride because all of the sweet spots in the Kawasakis performance and handling were calibrated to coincide with the kind of speeds and conditions we experience as road riders - whereas with the 954 the whole package (while brilliant) only really came together at the kind of sustained high speeds you only really get to see at somewhere like the Nurburgring.

If you have experience of both types of bike I was just wondering if anyone has any thoughts on this?

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:08 - 06 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm? Off road my Bultaco Pursang that was modified for playing motoball (Google it) gave me many hours of fun and more than a few bruises.
On the road , I loved my Yamaha RD 250lc and again gave me many hours of smiles!

As with most of us here, I’ve had many bikes since, but those two stand out as smile makers.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:23 - 06 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Different kinds of enjoyment for different reasons on many of the bikes I've had, but for pure fun, I guess I'd have to say the RG500 and the Street Triple were probably top of the list.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

spottedtango
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 22:33 - 06 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

First generation Aprilia tuono 1000, it’s hard to express the how hilariously fun it is and it’s easy to ride in town although it likes to heat up.

The way the rotax engine delivers low down punch and top end rush, you need to hold on with an iron grip. It also handles brill like it’s sister bike the Mille, it handles a bit too well sometimes.

Also it’s reliable except regulators can fail and you need to replace the side stand with one of a Honda blackbird. They have a bad habit of falling over in high winds. Would recommend.

Would you consider a twin or is your heart set on an I4?

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:53 - 06 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fun purely in bike riding terms, A few old Yammy 2 smokes back in the youthful days (could be a tint of rosy glasses there mind)and recently, my Street Triple R for sure.

But I get huge enjoyment touring around on my bikes and for that my Goldwing 1800 was the dogs danglies and I loved it. Does enjoyment and fun equate?

Obviously that wasn't as exciting (as in wetting myself type of exciting) as when I hit stupidly illegal 3 figure speeds on my Busa on a motorway in the early hours of one morning but my nerves wouldn't stand that too often. Some people might call it fun though. Pale

So Street Triple for me. Thumbs Up

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:10 - 07 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anything two-stroke. I just prefer the sound, feel and smell plus I’ve never really got on with engine braking on a 4t. Disclaimer- I do more miles on my four strokes and really enjoy it, but I wouldn’t say it’s as much “fun”.

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:14 - 07 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had a load of fun on a CRF-50. Two of us drifting them around in the football field next to work, even managed to high-side it when the back end dug into some mud and it flicked me off.

Or trackdays on my F4i.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 08:19 - 07 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

For all round laughs and enjoyment, Street Triple, 100%.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 08:30 - 07 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most fun on a bike? Small bikes with silly power delivery.

1980's 100cc air cooled 2-strokes are a good example. Utter hoot, grin from ear to ear every time I go out on one. 9bhp, skinny tyres and a wafer-thin powerband can be a right laugh.

I preferr riding a naked bike to be fair, a sports bike is more purposeful and mindful. A fairing is sometimes necessary.

I'm (hopefully) going on a Euro-trip later on this year. Last years Euro trip had certain places I had to be at certain times (Spa classic racing then Vosages) and some of them a long way away. My VFR was the tool for the job. I can say for a certainty that going on a lower powered/naked bike would have definately been less fun. This year, we've decided on a loose 150mile/day limit and staying off motorways in the Spanish Picos. I'm giving serious consideration to taking my tuned Enfield bullet

TheIncredible...
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 08:42 - 07 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

My experiences are vastly fewer in quantity to most on here, especially with anything other than Sports Bikes, having only ever ridden 2 Naked bikes in my time.

The first was an old GS500 which I passed my test on many moons ago, which being the first bike I'd ever ridden, felt fast.......

Then I ventured on to a Bandit 1200 which I borrowed from a mate and that was incredibly good fun, until I hit about 75-80mph at which point it felt like the buffeting was going to dislodge my shoulders from their sockets.

From the very first time I rode a sports bike (if you can call a J1 ZX6-R a sports bike?), I've been hooked ever since and probably will be until such time that my ageing frame cannot hunker over the tank to reach the bars.

Oh and I've had the pleasure of riding an RS250 which was immense fun but by the very nature of the "beast", it was such hard work to make progress compared to other bikes I'd ridden at the time. Full throttle or nothing at all, which was fun but draining!

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 09:00 - 07 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:

droog
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 10:24 - 07 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting comments - thanks Very Happy

Quote:
pepperami; As with most of us here, I’ve had many bikes since, but those two stand out as smile makers.

Yeah - I get this - there are always those bikes that stand out in your memory for some reason - I've had 750 and 1000 sport bikes in the past but funnily enough the most fun and smiles I ever had was on my commutes into London on a 600 Hornet.

Quote:
chickenstrip; Different kinds of enjoyment for different reasons on many of the bikes I've had

Yeah - I guess ultimately what we all need is a stable of different bikes for different scenarios - I wish I had the cash and the space to do this Very Happy

Quote:
spottedtango; First generation Aprilia tuono 1000, it’s hard to express the how hilariously fun it is and it’s easy to ride in town

Yeah - I've always been intrigued by the Tuono and have heard very good things about it - definitely an alternmative to the Kawa Z.

Quote:
spottedtango;Would you consider a twin or is your heart set on an I4?

I like twins - the power characteristics, the sound etc - but the one thing I don't like is that the centre of gravity seems higher on twins - the bike feels 'taller' and you are sitting 'on it' rather than 'in it' due to the practicalites of building a frame around a large twin cylinder (whereas the Kawasaki Z looks squatter with a lower centre of gravity which has a tremendous impact on the way the bike feels when you ride it) - if you know what I mean? Or maybe this is not true - I have never ridden a Tuono so I could be totally wrong on this.

Quote:
Polarbear; Fun purely in bike riding terms, A few old Yammy 2 smokes back in the youthful days

Aaah yes - the days of the RD350LC, the Green Harrington jacket and DMs Mr. Green

Quote:
Polarbear;Obviously that wasn't as exciting (as in wetting myself type of exciting) as when I hit stupidly illegal 3 figure speeds on my Busa on a motorway in the early hours of one morning but my nerves wouldn't stand that too often. Some people might call it fun though.

Yeah - I get this - I used to have an old Yamaha 1000 (Thunderace) - not in Busa territory but with the power and legs to get you up to similar speeds in fairly short order given the right circumstances - usually experienced like you in the early hours and before the motorways became 'smart'.

Quote:
Forcedl Anything two-stroke. I just prefer the sound, feel and smell

Yeah - missing out on two stroke is a big hole in my motorcycing experience - as a kid I went on the back of my mates Suzuki Gamma and the experience was frantic and intense! Mr. Green

Quote:
xX-Alex-Xx; Had a load of fun on a CRF-50. Two of us drifting them around in the football field next to work, even managed to high-side it when the back end dug into some mud and it flicked me off.

Pure motorcycle happiness in one sentence Very Happy

Quote:
Paddy; For all round laughs and enjoyment, Street Triple, 100%.

Yeah - this bike has had some incredibly good reviews - I would love to have a ride on one.

Quote:
stinkwheel; Most fun on a bike? Small bikes with silly power delivery.

It's that two stroke thing again - I'm starting to feel I really missed out by only having ridden IL4s and the odd twin.

Quote:
My VFR was the tool for the job.

A truly brilliant motorcycle - and that V4 engine is an absoilute jewel. Very Happy

Quote:
TheIncredible...Then I ventured on to a Bandit 1200 which I borrowed from a mate and that was incredibly good fun, until I hit about 75-80mph at which point it felt like the buffeting was going to dislodge my shoulders from their sockets.

Yeah - I also heard this from a Bandit 1200 rider - a big engine capable of getting you up to high speed very quickly but you can end up feeling a bit like a sail with you arms stretched out over the bars and no fairing (although come to think of it you can get them with the bikini fairing).

Quote:
TheIncredible...From the very first time I rode a sports bike (if you can call a J1 ZX6-R a sports bike?), I've been hooked ever since and probably will be until such time that my ageing frame cannot hunker over the tank to reach the bars.

Yeah - Kawasaki J1ZX6R is definitely a sportsbike Very Happy - and I feel the same way - if it comes to the crunch and I have one choice I will stick with sports bikes.

Quote:
TheIncredible.. RS250 Full throttle or nothing

Yeah - that famous power band - I imagine it takes a lot of skill to ride those old strokers properly.

spottedtango
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 13:56 - 07 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually funny you say that.

The tuono is a tall bike along with the 900ss and yeah it makes the speed feel less because you’re further away from the road.

Bit like when you drive a car vs a van vs go cart. The go cart at 60mph is gonna feel ridiculously fast, the van not so much.

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:02 - 07 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably my GSXR K1 1000 is the most fun I've had. I know that bike as well as I know my own cock. No electronic safety shit, stupidly loud and obnoxious, faster than anyone could ever need, handles like it's on rails, in certain gears if you sneeze and twitch your hand it'll lift a wheel. It's bonkers and with no gay electronics it's far more engaging (and slightly dangerous feeling) than the more recent equivalents I've ridden. Even after the years and miles I've had it for it can still scare the shit out of me while making me grin ear to ear. Add to that excluding topping it out in a straight line it manages to entertain me to that level while probably not even seeing half it's full potential.

I've ridden other bikes that are as bikes maybe more fun, either for good or comedy bad reasons, (looking at you stupid Suzuki X7) but I think time and miles on the GSXR mean it probably will not be eclipsed.

That said I barely ride it anymore, buying an Enfield introduced me to a whole new world of fun at a slower pace.

Powerful litre nakeds I just don't get. Why buy a bike that comes alive at triple figures if doing triple figures tries to tear your arms off and blow you off the back.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:38 - 07 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Droog wrote:

Quote:
chickenstrip; Different kinds of enjoyment for different reasons on many of the bikes I've had

Yeah - I guess ultimately what we all need is a stable of different bikes for different scenarios - I wish I had the cash and the space to do this Very Happy

Don't we all!
But in the end I took your question as literally as I could. The two bikes I mentioned seemed to me to be about just one thing, although the ST actually was quite capable in other regards too. The RG500 though - a definite one-trick pony, i.e. mad as a box of frogs and no alternative way to approach it. I couldn't live with that much fun all the time!
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

TheIncredible...
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 14:47 - 07 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
I couldn't live with that much fun all the time!

My ex wife used that as grounds for divorce Laughing

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 15:10 - 07 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
Paddy. wrote:

So let me expand on this.

Street Triple

The Street Triple is immense fun. It's all around great. It has good handling, it turns nicely, it's lightweight and has an eager rorty engine with a great sound. It's got a good amount of power, but not so much as to be constantly looking over your shoulder for PC Plod. Also, you can use it for things. You can go to the shops on it. I commuted 100 miles a day on mine a few times. It's comfortable, fairly reliable and has a few practical features. Why do I find myself mentioning these things in a thread about fun? Well, you'll find out shortly.

RGV250 gamma /TZR250R 1KT / KR1S / 350LC

Nothing can beat the pure fun of a 250cc/350cc sporty lightweight two stroke. Particularly the RGV, it was just nuts. I've said in another thread (about 'keepers') the Street Triple encourages you to ride like a nutter. The RGV DEMANDED it. I have previously compared having a pure bred tuned 250cc two stroke sportsbike to (what I imagine it's like) dating a supermodel. On the days when it's good, it's REALLY REALLY good, but the rest of the time they throw strops and smash all the crockery. I wouldn't ever try to go somewhere on my RGV. I luckily had some fast dual carriageways, roundabouts and twisty B roads on my doorstep when I had it. And I wouldn't ever go anywhere else. I tried to go up into the village for petrol once, and it coughed and spluttered and I had to slip the clutch and tiptoe one mile up there. When it was working though, it was absolutely magic. Beautiful smooth power at the top end, and absolutely sublime flickable but stable handling. Trouble is, it really was only good 50% of the time or less, and the rest of the time it was either a pig to ride, or was dead in the garage. The same is true for my KR1S too. The LC and TZR were a bit better, but neither quite reached the highs of the RGV.

GasGas Pampera

Another bike that stands out in my memory is my GasGas Pampera, which as the only really capable offroader I've owned, sticks out as being a laugh for getting muddy. I would like another off roader, but it's not a priority at the moment so I'm not too concerned, but I did enjoy it.

Buell XB12R, XB12S and XB12R again

The Buells were amazing. Not quite as good as the Street Triple, but very close and very unique sound, engine feel and grunt. It had a weird combination of big bike grunt and torque and small bike flickability and thrashability.

Hmm... Maybe there is a pattern here? I like bikes that don't have immense power, but are flickable and have lovely tight handling.

Anyway, really the two subsequent Buells I owned did not quite match up to the fun, grunt and hoonability of the first one. The first one had a muller power clutch, a Rizoma spring loaded belt tensioner and a low gearing kit as well as a flat bar conversion. I loved that bike, and was very sad when I had to sell it. The others I had never quite recaptured that. The third one I sold just last summer, and I don't really feel bad about doing so. It was a good bike, but not as good as the Street. I think I bought it after the unfinished business of writing off my 12S in 2011.

Speed Four - Light, flickable, confidence inspiring, but didn't quite have that same sparkle as the others on the list. Cheap fun though!

droog
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 15:23 - 07 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
spottedtango; The tuono is a tall bike along with the 900ss and yeah it makes the speed feel less because you’re further away from the road.

I had an SV1000 V twin - the bike had a higher centre of gravity and was 'taller' than the IL4s that I was used to due to it being a V-Twin - It affected my perception of the handling - and I just couldn't get confident on it - although I expect the Tuono handles a lot better than my old SV.

Quote:
wr6133 Probably my GSXR K1 1000 is the most fun I've had. No electronic safety shit, stupidly loud and obnoxious, faster than anyone could ever need, handles like it's on rails, in certain gears if you sneeze and twitch your hand it'll lift a wheel. It's bonkers and with no gay electronics it's far more engaging (and slightly dangerous feeling) than the more recent equivalents I've ridden.

Yes - when it came out I remember the consensus was that the bike was a beast - that rawness and sense of danger is an important quality in a bike of this type and is the reason we want to ride them - I've been looking at getting a K3 as I've heard that it delivers a proper litre GSXR experience but still makes a pretty good road bike.

Quote:
chickenstrip The RG500 though - a definite one-trick pony, i.e. mad as a box of frogs and no alternative way to approach it. I couldn't live with that much fun all the time!

Yeah - I imagine it was 100% or nothing with that bike - super intense! Mr. Green

droog
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 15:25 - 07 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Marjay; So let me expand on this.

Hey thanks Marjay! gonna read this with interest! Very Happy

martin734
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 15:51 - 07 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bike I have had most fun on was an old DT125 YPVS I used to own in Israel. Riding one of those offroad through the Negev is one of the highlights of my youth. (can early 20's be described as youth?)

droog
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 19:26 - 07 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

martin734 wrote:
The bike I have had most fun on was an old DT125 YPVS I used to own in Israel. Riding one of those offroad through the Negev is one of the highlights of my youth. (can early 20's be described as youth?)

The early bikes from the past often hold the fondest memories. Smile

Quote:
Marjay Street Triple The Street Triple is immense fun. It's all around great.

Sounds like my kind of bike - I had a 98 Hornet which I had similar feelings about.

Quote:
Marjayl Nothing can beat the pure fun of a 250cc/350cc sporty lightweight two stroke

You wrote a vivid description of the performance two stroke experience Very Happy - it's everything I imagine it to be - I've got to try one of these bikes to really understand what it is all about Very Happy

Quote:
Marjay; The Buells were amazing. Not quite as good as the Street Triple, but very close and very unique sound

I first saw one of these when a fellow biker colleague at work rode up on one (I think it was a Lightning) in about1999/2000? I was like - WTF is that! - the noise from the HD lump was amazing and the looks were kind of cartoon muscle bike (in a good way) - I never understood why HD let Buell go down the sh*tter - The Buell lightning was the bike HD should have been building and should still be building (but without some of the 'issues' surrounding this era of Buell).

stevo123
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 21:16 - 07 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

2 stand out, an old Yammy DTR 125 that was stripped of street gear and used for razzing about the hills and woods with a mate of mine when we were about 14 or 15.

2nd is my first road bike, Honda NSR 125 (twin round headlight jobbie). I left home to get a bike because my dad gave me the old not under my roof routine haha. Lots of sunny rides and thrills had on that old bike. Night rides over the moors - just you and the bike. Magic!

had other bikes as well, I stepped up to a TZR 250 after the Honda and although quicker it never felt as sure footed or rewarding. Since then I have learnt about the importance of good boots and setting the bike up to your own preference.

Had my ZX6r (2006) since Feb and just about got it dialed in now. Love it to bits.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 21:28 - 07 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Droog wrote:
I never understood why HD let Buell go down the sh*tter - The Buell lightning was the bike HD should have been building and should still be building (but without some of the 'issues' surrounding this era of Buell).

Politics. The CEO of HD at the time was poached from a company that made monogrammed towels or something. He didn't understand the 'adrenaline market' nor Erik and his 'Racing hobby'. He didn't understand win on Sunday sell on Monday.

Erik designed the XB as a Turbocharged bike with 150bhp called the 'Barracuda' but HD wouldn't allow it. Then he designdd a liquid cooled engine that HD insisted could be used in their new bike. The spec HD insisted on made the engine too large for the next Buell, and it was then handed to Porsche consulting to sort... And became the V-Rod motor. Harley then did some accountancy to say that Buell owed them for engine development for an engine that they never used, and so wrote the whole lot off as a loss which is how they justified shutting it down.

It's sickening and I for one will never ever ever go near a HD product for as long as I live.

Then to add insult to injury, Hero motor corp then went and did basically the same thing with EBR. Erik is exactly 30 years older than me, so he's just turned 70. How many more companies does he have in him? It's very sad.

barrkel
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:38 - 07 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

SH300 and Brutale 920.

The SH300 scooter is massive fun in London traffic. The low centre of gravity means it's got quick steering, but the 16" wheels give it more stability than something like a Vespa, the engine is enough to dart for gaps in the 20-40mph speed range, and the brakes are surprisingly good in case you misjudge, with ABS for good measure. At city speeds, I'd rather be on the SH300 for an emergency stop than on the S1000R with its Brembos & fancier ABS.

I kept doing accidental wheelies on the Brutale the first time I rode it. It has very little torque just off idle, so you need to slip the clutch more than a little, and then it goes pow. It feels quite short, and is a lot of fun on mountain passes - more fun than my VFR was on tight Alpine-style roads - and I rode it back and forth between France, Switzerland and Italy multiple times on the one tour I took it.

The Brutale has a lot of jerk; it hits maximum acceleration faster than my S1000R, even though it's got a good 30hp less power. That means it's quicker to wheelie, and feels both more responsive and more dangerous. It's not smooth unless you are.

It's also quite hard to get parts for, the ignition coils in particular were falsely advertised as for sale on multiple sites. If it had better support, I'd probably have kept it - or traded it for a higher power version.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:25 - 08 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

KX500 Supermoto. Without doubt the biggest shit-eating grin I've ever had on a bike. Hard work to ride it on public roads within limits, totally unsuitable as a daily, or for keeping your license long. But it's the most fun I've had on a bike. Ever.

The only thing that's come close was a Tuono V4 I handed back to my mate after 10 mins. It cost me a lot to get my license back, and I don't fancy losing it again, which is a given with me on that bike. A slightly less manic grin, but that is a proper tool for antisocial riding, it carries its weight (comapared to a 2t Motard) very well.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 353 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2