Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Decided to practice wet emergency stops today

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

SirFallalot
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 01:41 - 04 Oct 2020    Post subject: Decided to practice wet emergency stops today Reply with quote

And guess what happened! Rolling Eyes

I have both the full A tests and a trip soon, coming back from a looong bikeless holiday I thought i should practice slow manoeuvres and the big stop beforehand while it's pissing down as I hadn't riden the 750 in rain...

Was doing it progressively, 20-0, 30-10, 40-20, 60-floor Laughing
I actually managed 2 60 to 20, but fell right off on the third lolz

Anyway, was reading some topics on straightening handlebars and whatnot. Saw some used ones on eBay for 25-30, better to get some used ones or do you usually have any luck straightening them?? Not sure if anything else out of whack, also broke the footpeg so was riding funny. At least I didn't break the odo like I always do on the 400, just the headlight. And shame, the exhaust was so shiny.

All in all l'm glad I ride cheap bikes and bought most of my gear on eBay Laughing

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 07:36 - 04 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firstly, don't think of it as 'emergency stop' think of it as 'stopping under control'. All you have to do is come to a quicker than usual stop without skidding - from around 30mph - and if you are doing it in the wet then all you have to do is, well, stop. Practising at 60mph in the wet is a bit daft.

Bars are a piece of cake to bend back into shape so long as they are not kinked or flattened where they bent. Long piece of wood to align the wheels and a tape measure. Have someone hold the steering straight and the bike upright then use the tape to check one side against the other. Measure back from the bar end to somewhere at the back like the rear indicator then measure each side down to the front spindle. Bend the bars by hand and get the measurements the same within about 10mm. If they are only mildly bent then straightening them won't hurt. If you're talking like 30 degrees or more don't attempt it.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:01 - 04 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never had a bike with ABS but I wonder if it'd have prevented that?

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:08 - 04 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

It should stop your wheels locking up, that might not be why he fell off though Laughing
I have noticed it working reasonably well even at lowish speed on crappy stuff at the edge of the road for example
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 09:58 - 04 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steel bars are less likely to suffer from internal stress fractures having been bent then straightened than alloy ones.

Check your steering lock-stops.

Watch this: https://youtu.be/HiOGAYOXN8U

I'm not so convinced about preloading the levers like he says but it's a very good explanation about the physics of braking and why a progressive squeeze is better than a grab.

SirFallalot
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 10:30 - 04 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips guys, yes it was definitely daft Rolling Eyes

It was that progressive braking that I was practicing. Also I'm as sore as the first day at the gym after years Laughing

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:52 - 04 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Practising emergency braking at all sorts of speeds is a very good idea. It will save your bacon one day.

If your front wheel skids, you've grabbed it too hard, but that's no problem, as all you have to do is let go of the brake and hold the bike in a straight line, and you won't fall.

Progressive pressure on the front brake. As soon as you initiate this, apply the rear brake. It's a sequence, and it will stabilise the bike.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:58 - 04 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha wrote:
I've never had a bike with ABS but I wonder if it'd have prevented that?

ABS would have 'helped' prevent a lock-up (As opposed to a lock-down.) skidding can create an unstable condition that may lead to dropping the beast.

ABS depends on a certain amount of coefficient of friction between road and tire just like non ABS.

If the surface is loose, icy, wet then ABS is compromised.

It works by sensing when a wheel is 'almost' stopped then the braking effort is momentarily released then applied again.

(You know the principle.)

If the wheel has no friction then the wheel will slide.

If you can keep the beast vertical then it wont drop. If you lean to one side then you bite the dust.

I have eaten some dirt before due to this science. Embarassed

Not dropped a bike since my bikes have had ABS. Cool

SirFallalot
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 18:20 - 04 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well not sure if abs would've helped much, maybe, probably, I have tried it in cars with varied results depending on road conditions (when I drive a new vehicle for a long journey, first thing I do is check braking).

This once I was testing, albeit at slower speeds, braking on pine leaf covered country lane. The abs took about twice as long to stop as controlled braking. I found this quite amusing.

Regarding my ooopsy, it was very very quick, I thought I was getting the hang of it, but must have been lingering on the limit because then it instantly slid off before I knew what was happening. I was quite surprised tbh, as when I did the same practice on my 400 I was able to feel it and recover.

I'm an avid Fortnine watcher too Very Happy

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:11 - 05 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheWhiteBaron wrote:

I'm an avid Fortnine watcher too Very Happy

He's a great old-school salesman, that guy. A credit to what a bit of Googling can do for someone. I hope our posts on BCF are as useful to him and others as ever. There's nothing quite as satisfying as having your own ideas, knowledge and experiences repackaged and presented by a tall, smiling Canadian with a Youtube channel. I mean, why should it just be Bike Shed types who benefit from the archives here?

Last edited by Bhud on 00:23 - 05 Oct 2020; edited 2 times in total

barrkel
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:13 - 05 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Based on my aggressive year-round riding on slippery London streets on bikes with ABS, I'm certain you wouldn't have crashed with ABS, providing you were braking in a fairly straight line. With functioning ABS, on road which is simply wet and not covered in oil or ice or debris, absolutely 100% certain.

When I rode my many SH300s every day, I regularly exercised the ABS through aggressive riding and deliberately braking at the limit. You can feel the ABS pump pulsing through the levers on that bike when it kicks in, so I was well aware of it. I used it to ride faster in wet weather because I knew I could slow down rapidly while retaining control. I'd ride hard up to a stop line with a red light and brake hard, learning how much extra slippage I'd get under ABS.

The most dramatic incident that I recall had me effectively drifting somewhat diagonally, with partial traction on both front and rear, while emergency braking for a hazard (I no longer recall what it was). I still had control over steering and I did not crash or drop the bike.

I'd never buy a bike for commuting that doesn't have ABS. Commuting means riding all year around (so, all weathers) and filtering during rush hour. I could do it on a non-ABS bike, but I'd be a lot slower when the weather is wet.

c_dug
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:29 - 05 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree ABS would have almost certainly saved it. My current commuter has no ABS and having gotten used to having it over the past few years it's definitely a thought in the back of my mind whilst filtering in the rain.

Bhud wrote:
I hope our posts on BCF are as useful to him and others as ever. There's nothing quite as satisfying as having your own ideas, knowledge and experiences repackaged and presented by a tall, smiling Canadian

Curious what you're referring to here?

Serendipity
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:55 - 05 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I value ABS for exactly that. Filtering in the wet along slippery white lines. The majority of front wheel lock-ups that I've provoked have been panic grabs as a car changes lane without looking. Eating tarmac because someone manoeuvred without due care is shit and anything that can help prevent that is good.

I've saved quite a few front wheel lock-ups on bigger non-ABS bikes, but smaller bikes seem to fold and go down in milliseconds. Not sure if that's additional gyroscopic assistance from a heavier, still spinning rear wheel on the bigger bikes, or just better brakes that release quicker. I binned my old RXS100 a couple of times in the wet. My reactions are pretty good, but there was no saving it either time. It was down and sliding in an instant.

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:59 - 05 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Bhud wrote:
I hope our posts on BCF are as useful to him and others as ever. There's nothing quite as satisfying as having your own ideas, knowledge and experiences repackaged and presented by a tall, smiling Canadian

Everything. What drew my attention to it was after I wrote a long and detailed analysis of what killed Harley Davidson, on Mark Hinchcliffe's Motorbike Writer website, in the form of a text comment. I made a number of points, the central one being that Reagan's tariffs ensured the slow demise of that company by relieving it of the need to adapt or give way to a competitive new manufacturer that would have been willing to adapt.

About a week later Ryan came up with a video regurgitating the same points, in a flashy semi-pro audio visual presentation. It got lots of reviews and praise, but, knowing exactly what I had written, based on my belief in the value of allowing businesses to fail, I didn't feel it was original. My own thoughts about economics and business have come out of a lot of specific reading, and they took time for me to forment. Curious, I checked his other videos and I found the same pattern èverywhere. He did a video on "darksiding" which was just a more polished pastiche of a video made about a month earlier by an engineer type, and so on. I could probably our emergency brake the guy in my sleep, but I expect he will have watched advanced motorcycle instruction videos and picked out the salient points to repackage in his own video, which makes him an "expert".

As for the role in BCF in all this, it's a huge archive open to anyone with an internet connection. You've got maybe 5 people talking about what had for breakfast, a new bike-related thread every couple of days, yet 77546674 people online at any given time lol. They're reading and some are just going to repackage what they read.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 10:25 - 05 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

What you're saying is Mark Hinchcliffe is a Dirty Bertie AND his Motorbike Writer website is a Dirty Bertie?

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:41 - 05 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
What you're saying is Mark Hinchcliffe is a Dirty Bertie AND his Motorbike Writer website is a Dirty Bertie?

Well, it's hard to say yes or no for certain, but ideas seem to migrate to Youtube from a variety of known typed/written sources on the internet, and I would say Motorbikewriter and BCF are 2 of those, yes.

Bugs me a bit, though, when the wheel comes completely around and Youtube becomes the new centrestage. It's exactly like the Bike Shed and similar things. Those people started butchering old classic bikes, right? How did they ever get them to sort of run in the first place? It wasn't from Haynes or from people they knew - it was from reading posts in the Workshop subsection of this forum most of the time. If your dad's a hedge fund manager and you're 21 year old NGO worker who lives in Notting Hill, you don't know anybody but Mr Google. Now those same people are commissioning professional videos that say there was no custom bike scene until they created it in the UK in about 2014, AND that dad taught them to build bikes in their back garden at the age of 8-ish, funnily enough (I've actually seen those videos). Pure lies. The rabbit-hole goes deep with narcissists.

PotatoHead202...
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 16:42 - 07 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, this is the reason why I sold my Tuono. The Sprint that preceded it had ABS and it didn't so I was quite nervous - or rather suspicious - that i'd made a bad decision to go back to a non ABS equipped bike.

SirFallalot
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 00:07 - 15 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bhud wrote:
Quote:

Bhud wrote:

As for the role in BCF in all this, it's a huge archive open to anyone with an internet connection. You've got maybe 5 people talking about what had for breakfast, a new bike-related thread every couple of days, yet 77546674 people online at any given time lol. They're reading and some are just going to repackage what they read.

To be fair most of those are probably reading through Tefs posts, but you have plausible arguments.

SirFallalot
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 00:12 - 15 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also I managed to get parts for the bike by Friday and was braking hard by Saturday morning Very Happy

It was in a straight line, barkell you are right, abs probably would've saved it, but I had expected to be able to save it myself, such as is possible at slower speeds, before things went sideways. At least now I know exactly how much I can brake at 60 in the wet Laughing i just hope I don't forget

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 07:12 - 15 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheWhiteBaron wrote:
At least now I know exactly how much I can brake at 60 in the wet Laughing

If that's the way you think then ABS is definitely a requirement for you.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 229 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1