Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Recommend me a bike computer

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Cycling Forum
View previous topic : View next topic  

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 10:23 - 08 May 2020    Post subject: Recommend me a bike computer Reply with quote

The middle Bastard's birthday is in a couple of weeks and he wants a bike computer with tracking.

It doesnt have to do route planning like a GPS.

Any recommendations? He doesnt want to use his phone in case he drops the bike etc.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 10:37 - 08 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mrs stinkwheel has a garmin watch. Hers is a fenix 3

Does everything a bike computer does and everything a sports watch does. And everything a GPS does.

It has a rubber mount for going on the handlebars and a customisable display. We even got a stubby plastic adapter for the handlbar mount to go on her tribars. Battery lasts long enough to do an ironman.

It'll do your route tracking, elevation and GPS speed but if you want it even more functionality it has bluetooth accelerometer sensors that attach to the wheel and crank to give you road speed and cadence even when you're on a turbo trainer. Also a bluetooth heart rate monitor strap so you can get training zones and calorie calculations.

They also do a compatable power meter but £££.

So spendy but highly functional, versatile and expandable and more than a one-trick pony. I thought it was a gimmick but it's actually really quite an impressive piece of tech. It even measures paddling cadence and speed over ground when I go canoeing and it told her her knee injury was playing up before she noticed by detecting a limp when she was out running. It even warns her about thunderstorms when it detects an abrupt drop in air pressure.

However. as I said, very spendy, depends how into it he is.

He has a mobile phone which already does tracking, speed, GPS and will send that all back to strava so he can show off to his mates. He presumably TAKES it in case he runs into trouble. That stays in the frame bag/pocket/rucksack. Get him a smartwatch to pair to it and a handlebar mount for it.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 10:45 - 08 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

The one he's found looks mostly acceptable. Razz

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/bryton-rider-15-id_8587535.html
Manuel: https://www.brytonsport.com/download/Manual/UM/Rider15/Rider15-UM_EN_20200416.pdf

I don't like ones that can't take AA batteries and as much as he says he'll carry his power bank, that's hassle and AA batteries are the easiest.

Some reviews say that the mount it comes with for attaching it to handlebars isn't the greatest but there are aftermarket ones available.

If you're willing to up the budget slightly to £80 then a Garmin Etrex 10 might be a better choice. On the Bryton one you can't see the GPS track it's recorded without connecting to a computer or syncing to a phone. The eTrex doesn't have maps or anything like that but you can see the route you've taken so can always use that to get home. Laughing

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 10:54 - 08 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

See. An idea of budget would have been good. Wink

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 10:57 - 08 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think £60-70 is what's been discussed.

As you can probably tell, I've already had conversations about it with Nobby and Noblet. Laughing

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 11:24 - 08 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apologies, yes about 70 quid but these things are quite fluid.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 13:11 - 08 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found my slightly antique eTrex 10 which hasn't been used in something like 12 years. Duracell batteries in it haven't gone flat and it works fine, it's like the Nokia 3210 of GPS's. Mr. Green

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 13:34 - 08 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Temporary measure.

https://i.imgur.com/jCUTaui.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/NPKPkUu.jpg

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 15:54 - 08 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Decided to buy an nice amount for the Garmin.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 12:54 - 23 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the final choice was this.

https://www.bikechatforums.com/files/img-20200523-wa0003.jpeg

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 13:50 - 27 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is noblet extremely short?

weasley
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:02 - 27 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Word of warning - that computer and mount will really hurt your sternum and/or abdomen when the rider hits the bars. I had a light mounted just there and still have a mark on my chest from hitting it in the winter. Nobody plans to hit their bars, but it does happen.

I have a Wahoo ELEMNT Bolt mounted on a stem mount or on an out-front mount (depending on which bike I'm on).

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 14:22 - 27 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

sickpup wrote:
Is noblet extremely short?

Family trait. Ask donk.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 15:10 - 27 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's a very short noblet, in fact according to Google he's only 12cm tall. Laughing

He is right on the limit of an acceptable height for that bike and the phrase "you'll grow into it" can be a bad road to go down but in his case it's correct. In the photos, his seat is too low anyway.

It came with a dropper post that he can't use fully extended but he likes it for the novelty value . When the seat is at the right height for him then it looks more normal than it does in the photos.

We did 25 miles yesterday and all is good. Mr. Green
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 306 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Cycling Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1