Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Electric Bikes

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Gazza M
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 17:48 - 11 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be quite easy to incorporate the equivalent of pedal maps as well as a speed/torque limit into the controller as well to cover various different scenarios - surprised it hasn't been done yet!

Hypothetically if the motor can produce enough torque to wheelie the bike and some, you're not going to want any more at the peak. Generally this will be available across the full speed range (albeit with a drop at the top end as friction takes over) so the mid-range as you put will always be more than is possible to use which is a function of the centre of gravity and mass of the bike. So, the gearbox isn't necessary!

The only time you might want one is if you're wanting to run so the motor will be spinning too fast for its mechanical components to cope with, but if that's necessary the motor/final drive ratio has just been done wrong
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

martin734
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 17:51 - 11 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coby wrote:
What are the British manufacturers going to do if Kawasaki come up with an electric power plant that sits straight on top of their Z400 gearbox; and they make the greatest little mid-range bike in the world?

They would probably laugh at Kawasaki for making the bike heavier and less efficient than it should to be by keeping an unnecessary and power sapping gearbox, then build a lighter and faster bike by ditching the gearbox and using the ECU to make best use of the motor's speed and torque.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 18:22 - 11 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coby wrote:
What are the British manufacturers going to do if Kawasaki come up with an electric power plant that sits straight on top of their Z400 gearbox; and they make the greatest little mid-range bike in the world?

Absolutely bugger all because electric bikes need neither a clutch or a gearbox. There is no engine that needs to tick over at a standstill so no need for a clutch and electrical engines provide virtually no resistance when not powered and virtually all its torque immediately.

Fucking stupid question.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:15 - 11 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Starting to think, "sock."
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:03 - 11 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
...electrical engines provide virtually no resistance when not powered...

Not strictly speaking true if the motor is doing double-duty as a dynamo for regen braking.

If we set aside the foot-warming capabilities of the original poster and just assume, with all due respect, ignorance of the subject surely it should be our task to educate Wink

The crucial thing to consider is that electric motors and ICEs only have one thing in common: rotational power to drive a wheel. How they go about it is absolutely nothing alike.

An electric motorbike that has a 10kW motor could give you 10kW at 1, 1000, 10000, whatever rpm you want. There's no torque curve, it's a flat line. What need gearing? Having taken the engine out of my DT I can tell you the gearbox is one of the heaviest components of the bike. If you could do without it you would!

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 12:12 - 12 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
Nobby the Bastard wrote:
...electrical engines provide virtually no resistance when not powered...

Not strictly speaking true if the motor is doing double-duty as a dynamo for regen braking.

If we set aside the foot-warming capabilities of the original poster and just assume, with all due respect, ignorance of the subject surely it should be our task to educate Wink

The crucial thing to consider is that electric motors and ICEs only have one thing in common: rotational power to drive a wheel. How they go about it is absolutely nothing alike.

An electric motorbike that has a 10kW motor could give you 10kW at 1, 1000, 10000, whatever rpm you want. There's no torque curve, it's a flat line. What need gearing? Having taken the engine out of my DT I can tell you the gearbox is one of the heaviest components of the bike. If you could do without it you would!

Electricity is flowing through it so has power going through it, abet generated because a complete circuit is in existence. Powered.

When the bike is neither using the motor to power the bike along or using the not into create power it will roll completely freely.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:32 - 12 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
Electricity is flowing through it so has power going through it, abet generated because a complete circuit is in existence. Powered.

When the bike is neither using the motor to power the bike along or using the not into create power it will roll completely freely.

Fair enough, I concede the point.

Coby
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 09:34 - 14 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK Dudes,

Would anybody like to explain, in simple terms:

Why did we invent the 'star & delta' starter for electric motors?

Why did we invent 1,2 & 3/ B,C & D Type circuit breakers?

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:47 - 14 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coby wrote:
Would anybody like to explain,

Highly unlikely. If you're that bored, say "CB125" 3 times, and you'll summon a hard Teffing.
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

Coby
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 15:20 - 14 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why did we invent the 'star & delta' starter for electric motors?

Why did we invent 1,2 & 3/ B,C & D Type circuit breakers?[/quote]

No other electricians?

OK, in simple terms:

To absorb the 'massive' current flow requirements, associated with starting and accelerating an electric motor!

Coby
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 15:33 - 14 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Listen Guys,

I don't believe for one minute that I'm more intelligent than anyone else, I certainly don't want to be thought of as some smart-arse.

But anyone who really is 'smart' must believe that as an old grizzled electrician, given my life's experiences, what I have to say on the subject of electric bikes has got to be worth a listen.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 15:37 - 14 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are any of them mechanical gearboxes with multiple gears?

Coby
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 15:53 - 14 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's try to give you some figures; don't worry I'll keep it as simple as possible, I'm fully aware that electrical equations are enough to make the most mild mannered among us kick the shit out of their Labrador.

OK: You should of all seen this before at some point;

P=IV

Where - 'P' refers to Power, measured in Watts (or Kilowatts for our purposes).
- 'I' refers to Current, measured in Amps.
- 'V' refers to Potential Difference, measured in Volts.

Therefore a 2.3Kw electric motor, supplied at a potential difference of 230v, will draw current at a rate of 10amps.

or 230v x 10amps = 2300w

Therefore I can say that my 2.3Kw motor is going to draw 10amps when it's up and running.
Therefore I can choose a 10amp (motor rated) 'D' Type circuit breaker as my over-current protective device (that's just a glorified fuse really).

Now a 'D' Type 10amp circuit breaker has to be designed to absorb an initial starting current of....200amps!

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 15:57 - 14 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

You didn't answer the question.

How many of these are mechanical gearboxes with selectable gears?

Coby
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 15:59 - 14 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess what I'm saying is this:

If you road your ICE powered bike around all day in sixth gear, your fuel consumption would be diabolical!

Therefore if you run an electric powered bike around all day in top gear, the drain on the battery is going to be diabolical!

It stands to reason;

and the only complaint I hear about electric bikes is "the batteries don't last long enough".

I ain't surprised!

Coby
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 16:01 - 14 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Nobby; in a world of my own.

What are you saying?

I'd have as many gears as an ICE engine given the choice; and change gear just like an ICE bike because it's the best bit about biking or driving for me.

You ride/drive on your gearbox, that's how you control a vehicle at speed.

Last edited by Coby on 16:04 - 14 May 2020; edited 1 time in total

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 16:03 - 14 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coby wrote:

If you road your ICE powered bike around all day in sixth gear, your fuel consumption would be diabolical!

Therefore if you run an electric powered bike around all day in top gear, the drain on the battery is going to be diabolical!

It stands to reason;

and the only complaint I hear about electric bikes is "the batteries don't last long enough".

I ain't surprised!

So, there's a big drain initially, but then it becomes efficient almost immediately, which can be mitigated by using the eletrical methods of limiting/handling power.

verses

A mechanical gearbox that would assist for the initial powering up whilst pulling away, but is much heavier and the friction inherent with mechanical stuff would rob it of power the rest of the time.

Coby
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 16:05 - 14 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

An electric motor doesn't become efficient until it has stopped accelerating!

Coby
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 16:15 - 14 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look closely at how a 'star & delta' starter works:

You initially provide a three phase motor with power in a 'star' formation at 230v, therefore allowing the motor to draw massive amounts of current:

Only once the motor has almost reached optimum rpm do you then switch to the 'delta' formation at 400v, when the current flow then drops right off; and the motor becomes cheap to run.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 16:18 - 14 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coby wrote:

You initially provide a three phase motor with power in a 'star' formation at 230v, therefore allowing the motor to draw massive amounts of current:

Only once the motor has almost reached optimum rpm do you then switch to the 'delta' formation at 400v, when the current flow then drops right off; and the motor becomes cheap to run.

Whereas a mechanical gearbox becomes more ineffiecient the faster you spin it because of friction.

You're rarely in a state of constant acceleration in any vehicle and are usually using a constant rpm in typical usage.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:37 - 14 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why this obsession with gearboxes? High powered eBike/eMotorBikes have either direct drive hub motors or simple "final gear" fixed systems.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 20:58 - 14 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was going to mention hub mounting because if they are small and light enough the lack of a final drive would offset the unspring weight cost of the motor, bearing in mind it can also replace the brake, removing that weight but I dont know enough about optimising the rpm for efficiency and speed.

It's a well and good using a motor that's efficient at 20k rpm but that's quite useless of that means about 400 mph.

iooi
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:48 - 15 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coby wrote:

But anyone who really is 'smart' must believe that as an old grizzled electrician, given my life's experiences, what I have to say on the subject of electric bikes has got to be worth a listen.

It stands to reason;

I ain't surprised!

That would be RODE..... As ROAD is what your wheels sit on Rolling Eyes

And how good the fuel economy is depends on what speed you are doing. Do 60mph is 1st & it will not be as good as 60mph in 6th....
Same with a EV.... Which if you draft them, has exactly the same effect.
Is that "Electrician" same as sense as a "IT" expert?

But can you answer "Nobby the Bastard" question?

I can think of a couple of instances where a electric motor has a mechanical gearbox.

TheIncredible...
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 16:07 - 15 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coby wrote:

Here's another complaint then.

Noise (or more accurately, lack of noise!).

Forgive me but if all I want is wind noise, I'd drive my car and stick my head out of the window like a dog Laughing

Oh and not to mention the safety ramifications of a silent bike! At the moment we have the "sorry, didn't see you" excuse which will then turn into "sorry I killed you, I couldn't see or hear you".

andy-b2
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 17:03 - 15 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coby wrote:

Star delta starters went with the dinosours. We have proper control of motors with inverter drives now. Technology moves on...

Andy
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 345 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4