Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Electric Bikes

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Coby
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 17:35 - 15 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

And how good the fuel economy is depends on what speed you are doing. Do 60mph is 1st & it will not be as good as 60mph in 6th....
Same with a EV.... Which if you draft them, has exactly the same effect.

Sorry, what does "draft them" mean exactly?

Fuel consumption of an ICE is dependent upon how far you have the throttle open!
Therefore if you spent all day riding around in top gear, you would have to have the throttle on the stop trying to pull away/accelerate and therefore consumption would inevitably be 'diabolical'.

Last edited by Coby on 17:59 - 15 May 2020; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Coby
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 17:55 - 15 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Star delta starters went with the dinosours. We have proper control of motors with inverter drives now. Technology moves on...

Andy[/quote]

Referring to a star & delta starter, along with 3 x Types of circuit breaker was just an easily understandable way of emphasizing just how high the current requirements are of accelerating an electric motor.

How would you start a 'heavy' electric motor these days?
From what I have read, inverter drives only control the speed of 'small' electric motors.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

iooi
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:57 - 15 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coby wrote:
A

Sorry, what does "draft them" mean exactly?

Fuel consumption of an ICE is dependent upon how far you have the throttle open!
Therefore if you spent all day riding around in top gear, you would have to have the throttle on the stop trying to pull away/accelerate and therefore consumption would inevitably be 'diabolical'.

You must have a very strange bike if you need throttle to the stop to stay in top gear....
You never mentioned stopping or starting Rolling Eyes
But even so, you do not need throttle to stop to pull away. You need careful clutch control Thumbs Up

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drafting_(aerodynamics)

Still not answered Nobby either...

Coby
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 21:10 - 15 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

You must have a very strange bike if you need throttle to the stop to stay in top gear....
You never mentioned stopping or starting Rolling Eyes
But even so, you do not need throttle to stop to pull away. You need careful clutch control Thumbs Up

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drafting_(aerodynamics)

Still not answered Nobby either...[/quote]

By throttle on the stop; I meant - 'as far as it will go'.
Yes you will need good clutch control to pull away in top; and you will use an awful lot of fuel.

Can't see this question from Nobby I'm afraid, to what are you referring?

Of what relevance is 'drafting' to the conversation?

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:30 - 15 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please sort out your quoting. You need opensquarebracket quote="name" closesquarebracket BEFORE what you are quoting.

It's usually easier to use "Quote" for what you are replying to, and edit the text if necessary.

HTH.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:21 - 15 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding gears and gearboxes, let's make it clear what we're talking about: electric motors may utilise gears if they spin at too high or two low a speed to match road velocities.

I only know eBikes, apologies, but you either have small wheel hub motors that have a planetary gear stashed away in the case or direct hub motors that are much, much larger and have no gears at all.

So gears, if present are fixed. Let's just lump these together as "final drive."

Gearboxes imply selectable ratios where the user must judge the engine speed and the road speed and make allowances for deficiencies in the former. The main deficiency in ICEs being where you are on the torque curve. As electric motors have no curve there's no outside intervention required hence no gearbox.

There is a "Third Way" for eBikes and that's mid drive that goes through the main crank. Ask anyone with a Bafang BBS-HD and they'll say they might use gears occasionally but 80% of the time they're just in top gear. And TBH dropping down a gear on a particularly tricky hill is more to overcome the limitations of everything after the electric motor (i.e. the inefficiency of dumping power at the main crank.)

Having said that the main problem with direct drive wheel hub motors is you're contributing to unsprung weight in quite a big way so when you step from the world of eBikes to eMotorbikes you'll only see hub motors on the cheap, shitty 125 replacements. Any decent bike will have the motor in the frame driving a chain, belt or shaft to the back wheel.

Coby
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 23:26 - 15 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, just watched a video on you tube concerning this subject, but the guy seemed to be concentrating pretty much on formula E sprint racing.
Where I believe they have to stop half way through to change cars!

Therefore speaking as an electrician, all I'm still seeing is a finite, in fact very limited, ELV power source, trying to supply a dirty great electric motor that is stuck in forth gear.

Doesn't seem logical!

andy-b2
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 08:18 - 16 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coby wrote:
Star delta starters went with the dinosours. We have proper control of motors with inverter drives now. Technology moves on...

Andy

Referring to a star & delta starter, along with 3 x Types of circuit breaker was just an easily understandable way of emphasizing just how high the current requirements are of accelerating an electric motor.

From what I have read, inverter drives only control the speed of 'small' electric motors.[/quote]

No limit on size and can run at any speed and control torque.
The only limiting factor in slow speeds is the need for forced cooling.

Andy

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:49 - 16 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coby wrote:
...that is stuck in forth gear.

Doesn't seem logical!

You're one to talk! On and on and on comparing apple to oranges. And now you're conflating motors with the limitations of storage.

Sorry, I take it back: until proven otherwise this guy is either a moron or a paid shill sent to sow disharmony Sad

Coby
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 16:07 - 16 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently we're increasing voltage in order to reduce current demands on the battery as we accelerate, therefore no need for a mechanical gearbox!

(Basically in the same way that a 'Star & Delta' starter used to).

Simple eh!

Last edited by Coby on 18:08 - 16 May 2020; edited 1 time in total

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 17:53 - 16 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do Tesla do? Do teslas have gearboxes? They are the premier manufacturer of electric vehicles built by the man who has built rockets that land on a sixpence on their rails.

This is something that NASA hasn't ever achieved.

I bet they don't.

martin734
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 18:42 - 16 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
What do Tesla do? Do teslas have gearboxes? They are the premier manufacturer of electric vehicles built by the man who has built rockets that land on a sixpence on their rails.

This is something that NASA hasn't ever achieved.

I bet they don't.

No, Tesla's are all single speed, and for today's boring fact, the whole drive train of a Tesla has only 17 moving parts.

Coby
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 20:55 - 16 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to buck the trend, Porsche are using a two speed mechanical transmission on their Taycan!

Coby
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 11:49 - 19 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Porsche have also decided to go for an 800v set up!

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:18 - 19 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edge cases - always worth bringing up in discussion Neutral

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:47 - 19 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coby wrote:
Hi All'

How come Electric bikes haven't got a gearbox?

Wouldn't it be a bit boring always coming into and out of apexes in the same gear.
Plus if you had a gearbox you could get more out of the power pack couldn't you?

When I see an article about new electric bikes in the motorcycle press, I always think to myself "I wonder how many gears it's got"; the answer's always the same - one. Crying or Very sad

if you are going to so desperately going to miss gears, the Kymco and Kawasaki are likely to come to your rescue

https://www.electrive.com/2020/04/21/kawasaki-electric-motorbike-named-ev-endeavor/

https://www.motorcyclenews.com/news/new-bikes/kymco-revonex/

Doesn't take alot of research to find this out, despite what has been posted in this thread so far.

Personally, I still don't see the need for the additional weight and complexity of a gearbox, nor, it seems, do most manufacturers.

TravisBickle
Formerly known as
DUCAUDI

PostPosted: 19:20 - 19 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
Starting to think, "sock."

Why is it that whenever anyone comes out with a 'seemingly' stupid/noobish question they get called a sock?

Does anyone on here actually own an electric bike? Or does owning an electric bike mean that therefore by definition you are not a proper biker and wouldn't be interesteed in frequenting this type of forum in the first place? Or is that a stupid question?

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/5/5f/MrSock.jpg/170px-MrSock.jpg

TravisBickle
Formerly known as
DUCAUDI

PostPosted: 19:44 - 19 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coby wrote:
Listen Guys,

I don't believe for one minute that I'm more intelligent than anyone else, I certainly don't want to be thought of as some smart-arse.

But anyone who really is 'smart' must believe that as an old grizzled electrician, given my life's experiences, what I have to say on the subject of electric bikes has got to be worth a listen.

Jesus this guy sounds as arrogant and conceited as me in the early days Shocked

TravisBickle
Formerly known as
DUCAUDI

PostPosted: 19:49 - 19 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheIncredibleSulk wrote:
Here's another complaint then.

Noise (or more accurately, lack of noise!).

Forgive me but if all I want is wind noise, I'd drive my car and stick my head out of the window like a dog Laughing

Oh and not to mention the safety ramifications of a silent bike! At the moment we have the "sorry, didn't see you" excuse which will then turn into "sorry I killed you, I couldn't see or hear you".

Given your point of view here you must also subscribe to notion that 'loud pipes save lives'?

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:10 - 19 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

People tend to shout "sock" when the account keeps banging the same drum with seemingly no reaction to either insult or sense.

Coby
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 16:00 - 24 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see the Police have started using electric bikes so that they can sneak up on people!

They seem to think that they're "capable" off road!

Coby
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 16:06 - 24 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, you gotta luv Kawasaki!

And don't forget Porsche.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:15 - 24 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coby wrote:
I see the Police have started using electric bikes so that they can sneak up on people!

They seem to think that they're "capable" off road!

Since you're too lazy to shake the sauce bottle I did it myself.
https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/news/west-yorkshire-news/electric-bikes-help-police-catch-18208300

Is that the Tardis?
What are snickets and ginnels?

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:53 - 24 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coby wrote:
Andy wrote:

Andy

From what I have read, inverter drives only control the speed of 'small' electric motors.

I think I have worked out can't who said what with the quoting, or lack of.

Star delta starters are still commonly used in large 3 phase motors because they are simple beasts with fcuk all to go wrong.

Also have you not heard of soft starters for large motors? They have been going for donkeys years. Some of the big forced draught fans I worked on it seemed you could go for a cup of tea while it was winding up to speed.

Not as brutal as star/Delta or DOL but much more shite in the box to go wrong.

What has this got to do with electric bikes though, I is confused. Laughing

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:12 - 24 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Porsche electric 2-speed example is only because they wanted to extend the Taycan's top speed from 125 mph to 162. Efficiency won't be improved. No lessons to learn there for motorcycles with smaller batteries and thus more limited range.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 335 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4