Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

What to do about pain

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Feasty
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:25 - 10 May 2020    Post subject: What to do about pain Reply with quote

I've been wondering what to do about myself, when I suddenly realised I'm not alone - I have the BCF experts to go to - more specifically, the medical BCF experts! Very Happy

So, last Thurs (3 days ago) I was about to start work again the following day, after 5 weeks of furlough. Bit of a stressful time as I had an online meeting with work to find out their plans. I found out then I've been furloughed for another 7 weeks, but could be asked to go back at anytime in-between if they decided... It took me very much by surprise!

I've been getting anxious about all this the past week and on Thurs started getting uncomfortable pain/pressure feeling in the left side of my chest. It got quite sharp just as the meeting was about to start, but then calmed down again.
Since then, for the past 3 days I've had this uncomfortable feeling coming and going in the same place. Course that's now got me worried am I having heart problems, should I call 111, have I got the virus, I shouldn't go to A&E as I'm likely to catch the virus...etc, etc.

I have noticed when I occasionally manage to distract myself, the pain isn't there or I'm just not noticing it. But when I think about it, it's back again. I've tried taking indigestion medication but it doesn't have much effect.
I'm guessing it's down to anxiety causing me to have some sort of chest/stomach tightening leading to heartburn/acid indigestion going on.
I'm pretty overweight but I've not stopped doing my normal activities, taking the dog on long walks, playing football with my kid, eating meals - and I can do deep breathing. None of this makes the pain worse or seems to cause it or make it go away.

Any ideas? Anyone had anything similar before?

(Years ago I had chest pain for a long time and ended up in hospital for the day nil by mouth, but they never found anything - I hadn't had a heart attack and it was put down to indigestion - I do wonder if I just need to go through that again to put my mind at rest).
Previous: Aprilia Habana Retro 50cc (beauty), Yamaha SR125 (fell apart), Honda XR125 (nippy little commuter), Honda SLR650 (Geewhizz), Yamaha Diversion 900S (Smoooooth) written off courtesy of a stupid escaped horse.
(7 year gap), BMW F650 (Relaxing ride). Aprilia Caponord ETV1000 (Big and bold). Yamaha FZS600 (got me in trouble too quick!).
Current: Yamaha TDM 900 (Comfy, light but big, power when needed).

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:48 - 10 May 2020    Post subject: Re: What to do about pain Reply with quote

Feasty wrote:
that's now got me worried am I having heart problems, should I call 111, have I got the virus, I shouldn't go to A&E as I'm likely to catch the virus...etc, etc.

You don't need BCF to tell you what the the answer is do you - call 111 FFS!!!

FWIW my partner was in considerable pain from what turned out to be a kidney infection 2-3 weeks ago... She called 111 ended up in A&E (or rather, the adjacent central out-of-hours GP service). It was completely empty; full anti-infection protocols were in place everywhere; she was seen by a doc and got the necessary antibiotics very promptly.

Yes it's probably anxiety/indigestion, but just do it.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:10 - 10 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could be all sorts of things. Think about how old you are, and whether you get any symptoms typical of heart problems other than a pain in the chest.

You said: "Years ago I had chest pain for a long time and ended up in hospital for the day nil by mouth, but they never found anything - I hadn't had a heart attack and it was put down to indigestion - I do wonder if I just need to go through that again to put my mind at rest", so that's encouraging in a way, since it's long-term and you have been investigated.

You might have a hiatus hernia, for instance, which can be pretty ghastly. Try having a small drink of water if you get pain. Accurate diagnosis is easy enough for that, but you will require what might be humourously called a "gargleoscopy" (endoscopy).

However, do get in touch with your quack to discuss the matter.

Tracey Suntan-King
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:03 - 10 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reflux, hiatus hernia, acid and other digestion problems tend to cause pain in the middle of the chest, behind the breastbone not on one side. Left side is particularly worrying.

My advice, echoed above is treat this as an emergency and get yourself to A&E.

The message has been that despite Covid, the NHS is open for business, there will be hygiene protocols in place........get yourself down there.

With your symptoms you're more than justified in doing a 999. In which case a paramedic will come out and do a basic ECG to rule out (or in) heart problem before moving you anywhere, then you'll be taken in for a 12 lead ECG. Once heart is ruled out, they'll check you for pulmonary problems like an embolism.

Get your head round this.....it is an EMERGENCY

XOXO Dr TSK

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:07 - 10 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just pick up the phone.

I had problems breathing at night and put up with it for a while. In the end went to the walk in centre and was in hospital that evening with heart failure.

I'm not saying you have or haven't got anything wrong but don't be a stupid cvnt like I was. Phone the NHS. If nothings wrong your stress levels will drop, if it is, you get fixed. Thumbs Up

It's a no brainer.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 14:36 - 10 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you don't A&E today then on Monday morning you should phone your GP and say to them what you've said to us. Thumbs Up

As you can look forward to having ECG sticky pads attached to your chest, the longer you leave them on the more the glue will have cemented itself and the more it hurts when you pull them off. Laughing

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:09 - 10 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

We all get aches and pains, but when they are in your chest and won’t go away it might be time to talk to the doctor.
It could well be something quite trivial, but best not take a chance.
If it is trivial, the worst that can happen is the doctor has a moan at you, but I’m sure you can live with that.

Dr Pepperami says: talk to your gp Thumbs Up

Of course it could be , ebloa gay monkey aids! Shocked

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:31 - 10 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

pepperami wrote:
We all get aches and pains, but when they are in your chest and won’t go away it might be time to talk to the doctor.
It could well be something quite trivial, but best not take a chance.
If it is trivial, the worst that can happen is the doctor has a moan at you, but I’m sure you can live with that.

Dr Pepperami says: talk to your gp Thumbs Up

Of course it could be , ebloa gay monkey aids! Shocked

You never know with these pesky animals. Why, just a year ago some university came out with the stupid idea that flu could be transferred to humans from bats. Ludicrous. Folded arms

Bat influenza viruses could infect humans

Date:
February 20, 2019
Source:
University of Zurich
Summary:
Bats don't only carry the deadly Ebola virus, but are also a reservoir for a new type of influenza virus. These newly discovered flu viruses could potentially also attack the cells of humans and livestock, researchers have now shown

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:33 - 10 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need medical advice, sharpish.

I've been in a private hospital in another country where they ran me (unnecessarily) through an ECG and pin-prick blood test, probably with a view to racking up charges for my insurer. It was a fast and simple procedure. I have no idea if they did it properly, but I don't think it took longer than about half an hour, tops, to do the tests and get the results.

I have no medical knowledge, but even I know that if you've had a minor heart attack, you need to be apprised of the fact, fast, because it's like a warning. They can put you on a course of medication to avoid something more serious.

The local NHS trust published a message in the local papers saying that people should not avoid the hospital for fear of contagion, that they still have capacity to treat patients, etc. You should call the NHS - they will ask questions about your symptoms and will be able to advise.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:40 - 10 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
You never know with these pesky animals. Why, just a year ago some university came out with the stupid idea that flu could be transferred to humans from bats. Ludicrous. Folded arms

Bat influenza viruses could infect humans

Date:
February 20, 2019
Source:
University of Zurich
Summary:
Bats don't only carry the deadly Ebola virus, but are also a reservoir for a new type of influenza virus. These newly discovered flu viruses could potentially also attack the cells of humans and livestock, researchers have now shown

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1550436/

Later, more concise and perhaps more interesting, mentions bats:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1550436/

Feasty
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:04 - 10 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your replies, I get it - I'll contact 111, or the GP tomorrow. It's difficult making the decision when I think it's very likely to be anxiety or indigestion related.
I'd say it's been better today than the past few days, but there's only one way I'll know for sure if there's anything more serious behind it all 👍
Previous: Aprilia Habana Retro 50cc (beauty), Yamaha SR125 (fell apart), Honda XR125 (nippy little commuter), Honda SLR650 (Geewhizz), Yamaha Diversion 900S (Smoooooth) written off courtesy of a stupid escaped horse.
(7 year gap), BMW F650 (Relaxing ride). Aprilia Caponord ETV1000 (Big and bold). Yamaha FZS600 (got me in trouble too quick!).

Tracey Suntan-King
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:14 - 10 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Feasty wrote:
Thanks for your replies, I get it - I'll contact 111, or the GP tomorrow. It's difficult making the decision when I think it's very likely to be anxiety or indigestion related.
I'd say it's been better today than the past few days, but there's only one way I'll know for sure if there's anything more serious behind it all 👍

Once while in the same position as you, I rang the GP. Was told go to A&E immediately. "By taxi?" I asked. " No, an ambulance is on its way. "
They'd called it while keeping me talking Rolling Eyes

Checked over, all fine. No-one judged me, no-one told me off, better safe than sorry they said Thumbs Up

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:32 - 10 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Feasty wrote:

Yes, definitely call your GP.

By the way, in the mean time, if it is anxiety (mild panic atack), have some magnesium oxide. That will 100% calm your nervs. A warm melissa tea should also calm your nervs. The next thing to do to calm your nervs would be chewing a gum to make your brain think it's eating time. When people (animals) eat, their stress level drops significantly, that's why some ''sad'' people get fat. If you decide to eat your stress away be aware, that if you overdo it and get bloated, your digestive system organs are going to press onto your heart making you feel even worse. One last thing to try, just make your brain busy, play tetris or something, watch a film...etc.

IF it's not anxiety, none of the above will cause you any harm. Those things will calm you down however, regardless.

Feasty
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:25 - 11 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips RhynoCZ, I'll try those 😁

So, I've been in touch with 111 this morning and after going through the 50 questions routine they told me to call my GP.
I've spoken to them and been advised it's probably nothing to worry about, but if I get worse pains again to let them know straight away. It was mentioned I'd be safer staying at home than going into A&E and getting tests done etc due to the current circumstances.
3 years ago I was in A&E with chest pain that turned out to be nothing, I think the GP had this in mind too - maybe I'm just a sensitive soul eh! 😆

I'm a bit surprised tbh, but I guess if they thought anything was looking worrying I'd have had blue lights.

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:21 - 11 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Feasty wrote:
Thanks for the tips RhynoCZ, I'll try those 😁

So, I've been in touch with 111 this morning and after going through the 50 questions routine they told me to call my GP.
I've spoken to them and been advised it's probably nothing to worry about, but if I get worse pains again to let them know straight away. It was mentioned I'd be safer staying at home than going into A&E and getting tests done etc due to the current circumstances.
3 years ago I was in A&E with chest pain that turned out to be nothing, I think the GP had this in mind too - maybe I'm just a sensitive soul eh! 😆

I'm a bit surprised tbh, but I guess if they thought anything was looking worrying I'd have had blue lights.

So it wasn’t Ebola gay monkey aids then? Laughing

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:04 - 11 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Feasty wrote:

Glad you did it. Thumbs Up
Yes, anything to do with chest pain will have got the antennae twitching, and hopefully you can be pretty sure that the 50 questions will have been designed to find out whether an instant ambulance was required (see eg Tracey's post)

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:06 - 11 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Feasty wrote:
... maybe I'm just a sensitive soul eh! 😆

It could as well be the case. Several years ago I felt a very sharp stabing pain in the heart area. Thinking, well feck, this is it (I'm getting 30 this year, btw). Anyway, since I've never experienced such sharp and unpleasent pain in that area before, I paniced a bit which lead to palpitation, heavy breathing... well, that did not help the issue a bit. So, I called the ambulance, just in case. My first and last ambulance ride, by the way. The cool thing is you don't have to wait in a queue to get treated when you arrive with the sirens on. Laughing

Moving on, several tests later, they gave me magnesium and potassium IV, as the levels of these two substances were rather low in my blood stream, and I was pretty much imediately alright after that. The thing is, heart is a muscel and for muscels to work as they should they need, amongs other substances, magnesium and potassium , to prevent spasms. Also, magnesiums calms nervs in general.

Anyway, they gave me some magnesium oxide tablets to take home with in case if any of that occured again. Then I went to a cardiologist, did all sorts of tests (I could do 250W for 3 minutes on a stationary bike, if they allowed me to wear my shoes, I could do better, #cool), everything in perfect working order. The doctor told me and I quote ''when you have these pains in the heart area, just because it feels like you're going to die, doesn't mean you actually are''. For some reason this was all I had to ever hear. She also told me about magnesium oxide for calming nervs and other those things I've told you about. It's been maybe 10 years now, and I fell alright.

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:33 - 11 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tetris would make me more anxious Shocked

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:51 - 12 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suffer from occasional panic attacks, and the symptoms are very similar, palpitations, shortness of breath, feeling like you're going to die.

They're terrifying at first, but bearable once you know them for what they are - a chemical misfire in your brain.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:01 - 16 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/angina/

FFS, don't inconvenience your family and friends by dropping dead and causing a funeral during lock-down.
Get your erse down ton A&E prontolero.

You'll look a bigger dick in an open coffin than in a hospital bed.

Clanger
Stirrer

PostPosted: 22:44 - 16 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Panic Attack?
Angina?
Did the doctor advise you to suck an aspirin?

Anyway, dialling 111 doesn't mean you end up in hospital. And anyway the covid wards are sealed off from the rest of the hospital. Thumbs Up

Skudd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:41 - 17 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

My cure for all illnesses and pain was a pint of milk and man up.
To my cost, it wasn't the best thing to do, doctors and a visit to the hospital was a much better course of action.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 09:41 - 18 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny story. When I was young I was incredibly fit especially around the age of 16/17/18 or so. I started having chest pains when I exercised hard so my school arranged an appointment for me and I saw a nurse practitioner type who said I had nothing to worry about.
Years later I was diagnosed with a heart murmer after an ECG so that first examination was a bit useless.

Moral of the story, sometimes health professionals are wrong.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:25 - 18 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

sickpup wrote:
Funny story. When I was young I was incredibly fit especially around the age of 16/17/18 or so. I started having chest pains when I exercised hard so my school arranged an appointment for me and I saw a nurse practitioner type who said I had nothing to worry about.
Years later I was diagnosed with a heart murmer after an ECG so that first examination was a bit useless.

Moral of the story, sometimes health professionals are wrong.

I'm not the greatest fan of nurse practitioners. I understand the logic of having them treat minor stuff but I have been miss diagnosed twice by one at our doctors.

Anything other than basic first aid I'll give them a miss thank you.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:43 - 18 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

sickpup wrote:

Except that (a) heart murmurs can develop later in life, and (b) they can be completely asymptomatic, so there's no reason at all that your chest pain was definitely caused by a murmur.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 341 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2