Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

You can go for a drive for pleasure from Wednesday..

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
View previous topic : View next topic  

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:36 - 17 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just seen this today: https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/news/local-news/covidiot-campers-fined-boozy-stopover-18263299

Aside from the main story, which is an understandable thing for targeting and issuing a fine, the quoted busybody neighborhood watch copper in the article seems to think that we're still on full lockdown and can't even leave the house.

He also said that motorcyclists shouldn't be going out "just for a ride".

Proper annoying me now. Did or did not Boris say, "Go outside as much as you like and as far as you like, as long as you maintain social distancing and are in groups no larger than 2"...???

Yet now we have local coppers saying they still have the power to issue fines for people doing just as Boris said they could do???

Is there any actual legislation here, or is it down to how the copper's feeling on the day?

And why can't the likes of you or I go and camp out somewhere in the absolute middle of nowhere, yet we're expecting hundreds of thousands of sniveling snot-nosed kids to go merrily back to school without issue?

Confused

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:27 - 18 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

North yorkshire seem to be prime offenders, over the weekend they also closed off Scarborough North Bay because they thought people might park in the hundreds of spaces below the cliff with no buildings to speak of.
You could still drive to Scarborough but the safe places you might have stopped away from locals were not available so you'd have to go in the local shopping carparks presumably.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:18 - 18 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord Percy wrote:

He's probably sick of the huge groups and angry. I went to the coast (alone) yesterday, pre-0800 I didn't see a soul, couple of old bikes on the road but in the main deathly quiet.

I broke down, by the time I was recovered it was lunchtime and coming home on the same road we passed endless little groups of bikes but 3 or 4 really, really big packs (with the shite behaviour big packs seem to create). I could see why Police would be getting pissed off, only time I normally see that density of bikes on that road is the 1st Poole Quay bike night of a season.

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:03 - 18 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

wr6133 wrote:
Lord Percy wrote:

He's probably sick of the huge groups and angry. I went to the coast (alone) yesterday, pre-0800 I didn't see a soul, couple of old bikes on the road but in the main deathly quiet.

I broke down, by the time I was recovered it was lunchtime and coming home on the same road we passed endless little groups of bikes but 3 or 4 really, really big packs (with the shite behaviour big packs seem to create). I could see why Police would be getting pissed off, only time I normally see that density of bikes on that road is the 1st Poole Quay bike night of a season.

This is why I think the government should have enacted properly strict lockdown rules form the start, with zero ambiguity.

The fact that it's all down to such interpretation, with the constant and frankly naive belief that "people have enough common sense to do the right thing" just baffles me.

It also feels like the covid-19 situation has entirely vanished from the news ever since Boris announced the new lockdown rules. This also baffles me. Everything seems to have gone from 'blitz spirit' to 'meh' in less than a week.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:16 - 18 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord Percy wrote:
Proper annoying me now. Did or did not Boris say, "Go outside as much as you like and as far as you like, as long as you maintain social distancing and are in groups no larger than 2"...????

As far as I can see, he didn't say that.

Edit: Perhaps you're referring to "The UK Government’s COVID-19 recovery strategy"? It's worth a careful look, and contains occasional insights into their thinking for the future[1]:L

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/884760/Our_plan_to_rebuild_The_UK_Government_s_COVID-19_recovery_strategy.pdf

(section: "Public spaces", "Enforcement")

[1] E.g. the bit about grants to widen pavements and closing some roads in cities to motorised traffic..

Last edited by Riejufixing on 11:27 - 18 May 2020; edited 2 times in total

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:21 - 18 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord Percy wrote:

The fact that it's all down to such interpretation, with the constant and frankly naive belief that "people have enough common sense to do the right thing" just baffles me.

What particular things that affect you personally are you baffled about? Maybe BCF can help Smile
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:06 - 18 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not about how I'm affected personally, it's about how the country (well, just England actually), is likely to be affected by the incoherent new rules and guidelines that were set out last week.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:23 - 18 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord Percy wrote:
It's not about how I'm affected personally, it's about how the country (well, just England actually), is likely to be affected by the incoherent new rules and guidelines that were set out last week.

Why do you personally find the new rules and guidelines "incoherent"?

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:29 - 18 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord Percy wrote:

Well if yous hadn't all ganged up on - (aka MDF 4x2) he could illustrate what the rules mean.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:40 - 18 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord Percy wrote:

And how is that?

But it IS about how it affects you personally. It is for each individual. If you can figure out how to behave, why do you think everyone else can't? Are you better than everyone else?
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:59 - 18 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
If you can figure out how to behave, why do you think everyone else can't? Are you better than everyone else?

He might be. If he is adhering to Social distancing in the spirit of not just the letter of the rules, then why shouldn't he feel like he has a high ground?

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:03 - 18 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

wr6133 wrote:
chickenstrip wrote:
If you can figure out how to behave, why do you think everyone else can't? Are you better than everyone else?

He might be. If he is adhering to Social distancing in the spirit of not just the letter of the rules, then why shouldn't he feel like he has a high ground?

If so, is he in the minority or the majority?
When we see the idiots who foolishly flout the guidance by gathering in large groups etc, do they illustrate the behaviour of the majority? Why do we see those folks? Because they're high profile, they stand out. And because the media focuses on them, and not those who just quietly do as advised. The latter don't get the views that the media wants, and you don't see them.

Also, social media exaggerates the extremes. Look how that mpd character seemed so dominant on here at times. But he was just one person.

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:09 - 18 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:

Well it's always the minority who spoil it for the rest of us, and it's for these folk that proper laws are required. Not just with covid-19, but society at large.

TheIncredible...
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 13:09 - 18 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord Percy wrote:

I'm affected by these "new rules" and the confusion contained therein due to living in Wales but commuting to England for work.

I am on strict lockdown at home but not so much at work. It's a strange scenario.

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:16 - 18 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:

Why do you personally find the new rules and guidelines "incoherent"?

This is a comment stolen from elsewhere, but it helps illustrate the incoherence:

Quote:
You can invite your mother round to your house, but only if she is your cleaner.

And as TheIncredibleSulk says above, there's also the issue of this sudden division of rulings between the devolved nations of the UK. When Boris gave his speech last week, he mentioned something about the whole country being in this together, then the very next hour we learned that in fact there were a whole different set of enforced rules for Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland.

So Boris addressed the nation about this easing of lockdown on national television, but really he was only speaking to England. Total incoherence.

Last edited by Lord Percy on 13:16 - 18 May 2020; edited 1 time in total

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:16 - 18 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord Percy wrote:
chickenstrip wrote:

Well it's always the minority who spoil it for the rest of us

Maybe so, but if you continually focus on that minority, then in your mind, things seem worse than they really are. I just don't think it's healthy to spend that kind of time and energy on such folk. We have the authorities to police these things. Let them do their jobs, and the rest of us just make sure we do our bit. What else are you going to do? Are you going to become one of those people that constantly look for things to complain about? Feck that. That's no way to live a happy life. And in times like these, you'll likely wind up topping yourself if that's your mentality.

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:17 - 18 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:

Clearly the Majority, doesn't mean he can't look down at the minority. Also the minority seems less minor when they have 120DB exhausts.

Media over representing it doesn't mean it's not an issue, the twat that blew himself up in Manc was a minority, does this mean we shouldn't condemn him, look down on him and curse him?

If those knobs at Matlock over the weekend allow the media to demonise bikers should we not look at them (and the media) as cunts?

and yes I'm a hypocritical cunt, I was at the Seafront taking pictures on Sunday morning Laughing

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:23 - 18 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheIncredibleSulk wrote:

I'm affected by these "new rules" and the confusion contained therein due to living in Wales but commuting to England for work.

I am on strict lockdown at home but not so much at work. It's a strange scenario.

This whole thing is a balancing act. You know not to get close to those outside of your household while the virus is still so prevalent. But if you need to earn to eat and pay your bills, well, you might have to take some risks, e.g. go to work where you might be in the vicinity of others. Hopefully, your workplace will do what it can to limit close contact, although that won't be possible everywhere. But you do as much as you reasonably can. What's the alternative in that case? Starve? Lose your home? That's an individual judgement you have to make. It's not like you never had to weigh risks, advantages and disadvantages before in your life.

Or we could have total lockdown, where the choice is not yours to make, and you're effectively imprisoned. How long can the country keep that up for?

So we don't live in a perfect world. Who has just learned this, since the pandemic began? Do what you can. It's enough to have on your plate.

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:25 - 18 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
Are you going to become one of those people that constantly look for things to complain about? Feck that. That's no way to live a happy life. And in times like these, you'll likely wind up topping yourself if that's your mentality.

Well someone's got to take mpd's place Laughing

Meh, everyone's different. For what it's worth, my cynicism extends only as far as politics, governance and the perpetual state of human incivility. Okay so I'm cynical about everything Laughing. But there's no sadness or suicidal urge here. Not even one bit, in fact life is rather good at the moment, for myself personally. My criticisms are more about 'big picture' issues, rather than everyday life, which is of course perfectly fine and quite enjoyable for the most part.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:33 - 18 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord Percy wrote:

Well someone's got to take mpd's place Laughing

Crying or Very sad

Quote:
Meh, everyone's different. For what it's worth, my cynicism extends only as far as politics, governance and the perpetual state of human incivility.

Yeah well, not healthy to spend too much time thinking about that stuff. Look what it does to those who make a profession of it Laughing

Quote:
But there's no sadness or suicidal urge here. Not even one bit, in fact life is rather good at the moment, for myself personally.

Cool Thumbs Up

Quote:
My criticisms are more about 'big picture' issues, rather than everyday life, which is of course perfectly fine and quite enjoyable for the most part.

My problem is where people continually make the same criticisms over and over again. That's not beneficial to anyone. That's just bleating and quickly becomes tedious. That's what mpd did.

Did. Now doesn't that feel good?! Laughing

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:22 - 20 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:
Lord Percy wrote:

Well if yous hadn't all ganged up on - (aka MDF 4x2) he could illustrate what the rules mean.

I haven't been looking in around these parts of BCF, is Donk out? (forum not closet)

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:22 - 30 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a useful link (written by White Dalton solicitors) on justifying riding at the moment, and in particular what you should be saying to overzealous polis if you get pulled for being out and about:
https://www.whitedalton.co.uk/motorbike-blog/2020/05/can-i-ride-my-motorcycle-during-the-coronavirus-lockdown/

(There's also a readily print-out-able version here to keep in your pocket:
https://www.whitedalton.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2020/05/can-i-ride-my-motorcycle-during-the-coronavirus-lockdown.pdf)

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:14 - 30 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:
This is a useful link (written by White Dalton solicitors) on justifying riding at the moment, and in particular what you should be saying to overzealous polis if you get pulled for being out and about:
https://www.whitedalton.co.uk/motorbike-blog/2020/05/can-i-ride-my-motorcycle-during-the-coronavirus-lockdown/

(There's also a readily print-out-able version here to keep in your pocket:
https://www.whitedalton.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2020/05/can-i-ride-my-motorcycle-during-the-coronavirus-lockdown.pdf)

I've been riding my bikes all through the lockdown, for shopping, delivering stuff, occasional work related activity. I've even had the rear of the seat loaded with bags of bark, and cement on differing occasions, have passed police, including with the with said loads, and haven't been stopped so far, so, highly unlikely I will now.

kawakid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:08 - 31 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lockdown ended for bikes 2 weeks ago, hundreds if not thousands are out around me.

For once thank god, I live in Yorkshire and not Wales, Scotland or Ireland.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 303 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6