Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Towing a motorcycle using a car.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

Gazz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:39 - 11 May 2020    Post subject: Towing a motorcycle using a car. Reply with quote

Anyone know what the law is regarding this?

Can't see much information about it online. In years gone by I've been towed by a car using a rope for a couple of miles just to get the bike home. Never had any issues with it, but was just wondering what the police would say if they seen us.

Was thinking of buying a towing pole if the situation ever arose again, but don't know if it would be a waste of money or not.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 08:53 - 11 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you'd be told to stop if caught. I've tried it myself and found it terrifying.

Nowhere near as bad being towed by another bike.

"Safest" and easiest way is to hold onto the cars roof. Or for another bike to "push" the broken one by means of a foot on the pillion peg.

Oddly, it seems the best place for the rope is on the rider. Next best is attached to the headstock. When I say attached, I mean not tied. So either sitting on the end or wrapped round you/the headstock then held against the bar by one hand so it releases if you let go.

If you were going to buy/make something to tow a bike with a car for a short distance, a towing dolly that attaches to the front wheel would be best. Or putting the front wheel in the boot and lashing it down.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:45 - 11 May 2020    Post subject: Re: Towing a motorcycle using a car. Reply with quote

Gazz wrote:

It's not allowed (told by an police inspector some years ago). If you must do it, take the rope/cord a turn around the handlebars for instance, if accessible (NO *not* at one end, in the middle...), and hang on to the long loose end as you move off slowly (else the jolt will pull iout of your hand). If anything goes wrong, let go. It's very dodgy. You can, I think, tow a motorbike with another motorbike, same technique, even more dodgy.

EDIT: Actually, I dimly remember an answer to this. Hang on.

EDIT: OK here we are, the nice Cornish police inspector may have been right, unsure but the law changes:

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1986/1078/made

The Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) (Amendment) Regulations 2012

Statutory Instruments
1986 No. 1078

ROAD TRAFFIC
The Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986

Made 25th June 1986
Laid before Parliament 18th July 1986
Coming into Operation 11th August 1986

Trailers drawn by motor cycles

84.—(1) Save as provided in paragraph (2), no person shall use, or cause or permit to be used, on a road a motor cycle—

(a)drawing behind it more than one trailer;

(b)drawing behind it any trailer carrying a passenger;

(c)drawing behind it a trailer with an unladen weight exceeding 254 kg;

(d)with not more than 2 wheels, without a sidecar, and with an engine capacity which does not exceed 125 cc, drawing behind it any trailer; or

(e)with not more than 2 wheels, without a sidecar and with an engine capacity exceeding 125 cc, drawing behind it any trailer unless—

(i) the trailer has an overall width not exceeding 1 m;

(ii) the distance between the rear axle of the motor cycle and the rearmost part of the trailer does not exceed 2.5 m;

(iii) the motor cycle is clearly and indelibly marked in a conspicuous and readily accessible position with its kerbside weight;

(iv) the trailer is clearly and indelibly marked in a conspicuous and readily accessible position with its unladen weight; and

(v) the laden weight of the trailer does not exceed 150 kg or two thirds of the kerbside weight of the motor cycle, whichever is the less.

(2) The provisions of paragraph (1)(b), (d) and (e) do not apply if the trailer is a broken down motorcycle and one passenger is riding it.

So there you are. However, I would not tie the rope to the bike, let alone tie it or have it wrapped around the rider, and slow is the word!

Gazz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:54 - 11 May 2020    Post subject: Re: Towing a motorcycle using a car. Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:
Gazz wrote:

It's not allowed (told by an police inspector some years ago). If you must do it, take the rope/cord a turn around the handlebars for instance, if accessible (NO *not* at one end, in the middle...), and hang on to the long loose end as you move off slowly (else the jolt will pull iout of your hand). If anything goes wrong, let go. It's very dodgy. You can, I think, tow a motorbike with another motorbike, same technique, even more dodgy.

EDIT: Actually, I dimly remember an answer to this. Hang on.

EDIT: OK here we are, the nice Cornish police inspector may have been right, unsure but the law changes:

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1986/1078/made

The Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) (Amendment) Regulations 2012

Statutory Instruments
1986 No. 1078

ROAD TRAFFIC
The Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986

Made 25th June 1986
Laid before Parliament 18th July 1986
Coming into Operation 11th August 1986

Trailers drawn by motor cycles

84.—(1) Save as provided in paragraph (2), no person shall use, or cause or permit to be used, on a road a motor cycle—

(a)drawing behind it more than one trailer;

(b)drawing behind it any trailer carrying a passenger;

(c)drawing behind it a trailer with an unladen weight exceeding 254 kg;

(d)with not more than 2 wheels, without a sidecar, and with an engine capacity which does not exceed 125 cc, drawing behind it any trailer; or

(e)with not more than 2 wheels, without a sidecar and with an engine capacity exceeding 125 cc, drawing behind it any trailer unless—

(i) the trailer has an overall width not exceeding 1 m;

(ii) the distance between the rear axle of the motor cycle and the rearmost part of the trailer does not exceed 2.5 m;

(iii) the motor cycle is clearly and indelibly marked in a conspicuous and readily accessible position with its kerbside weight;

(iv) the trailer is clearly and indelibly marked in a conspicuous and readily accessible position with its unladen weight; and

(v) the laden weight of the trailer does not exceed 150 kg or two thirds of the kerbside weight of the motor cycle, whichever is the less.

(2) The provisions of paragraph (1)(b), (d) and (e) do not apply if the trailer is a broken down motorcycle and one passenger is riding it.

So there you are. However, I would not tie the rope to the bike, let alone tie it or have it wrapped around the rider, and slow is the word!

So, does that mean that you are allowed to tow a broken down bike with another bike but not using a car?

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:02 - 11 May 2020    Post subject: Re: Towing a motorcycle using a car. Reply with quote

Gazz wrote:
So, does that mean that you are allowed to tow a broken down bike with another bike but not using a car?

Blast! Sorry, you are quite right, that's bike towing bike. I have crossed my wires and gone off at a tangent.

Hang on..... i will see if I can dig anything out.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 12:02 - 11 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

For your convenience, here's a clickable link to the regulations about towing trailers using a motorcycle: https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1986/1078/made

It doesn't say you can't tow a motorcycle with a car but that's probably because it's not about towing things using a car. Laughing Plus there doesn't seem to be about using a tow rope.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:21 - 11 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
For your convenience, here's a clickable link to the regulations about towing trailers using a motorcycle: https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1986/1078/made

It doesn't say you can't tow a motorcycle with a car but that's probably because it's not about towing things using a car. Laughing Plus there doesn't seem to be about using a tow rope.

Same law. I think I may have to make an enquiry about cars/motorbikes.

Coby
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 13:27 - 11 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobody quote me on this because it's only something I heard, but on the road towing legality has something to do with the number of wheels on the vehicles.

Unless of course, it is a vehicle specifically designed purely for towing.

Actually, it could be the number of 'axles' of the vehicles!
I'm not being much help here am I?

Last edited by Coby on 16:57 - 11 May 2020; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:48 - 11 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen it done once, many years ago. The bike was towed along the A13 and tried to go round the five bells roundabout at Laindon at which point it went over and got towed another 100m or so on its side in a shower of sparks with the rider rolling along after it followed by loud cheers from the crown of bikers at the burger van. Well it was entertaining...

I took that as a hint and have never bothered to try but apparently, the best way is for the rider to hold the rope. No thanks, I'll use the RAC. Laughing

World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:21 - 11 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was legal bike towing bike many years ago, but not car towing bike. My first 50 seemed to end most of journeys on the wrong end of a tow rope...
Not sure if the same still applies...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

martin734
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 18:19 - 11 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know about a car towing a bike, but this looks pretty cool. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8qdNdFMgRI
I would love to see the guys face when that turns up to recover him.

steve the grease
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 18:20 - 12 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

1198 wrote:
It was legal bike towing bike many years ago, but not car towing bike. My first 50 seemed to end most of journeys on the wrong end of a tow rope...
Not sure if the same still applies...

That is my understanding of the law too.

smokin joe
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 22:09 - 14 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Islander wrote:
I've seen it done once, many years ago. The bike was towed along the A13 and tried to go round the five bells roundabout at Laindon at which point it went over and got towed another 100m or so on its side in a shower of sparks with the rider rolling along after it followed by loud cheers from the crown of bikers at the burger van. Well it was entertaining...

I took that as a hint and have never bothered to try but apparently, the best way is for the rider to hold the rope. No thanks, I'll use the RAC. Laughing

Hi, my first post on the forum after lurking for a bit. My experience of towing a bike was also on the A13 back in the seventies, towing a mate on his broken down Bantam from Forest Gate to Rainham with the rope attached from the bumper on my Reliant Regal and round his front forks. It was the hairiest drive I've ever had, going round the Volunteer roundabout was particularly interesting when I looked in the mirror and found him trying to control it like it was a drunken three legged pig. I stopped looking in the mirror after the first one and used the flyover on the next roundabout at the Thatched House. (I might have the roundabouts back to front, long time since I've lived that way).

When we got to his house I said "I'm never doing that again", to which he replied, You're never f****** doing that again....?"

Happy days!
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 346 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1