Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

How much tread is typically on a brand new tyre?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

EazyDuz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:58 - 12 May 2020    Post subject: How much tread is typically on a brand new tyre? Reply with quote

Just morbid curiosity really. It would be a good way to gauge how long a tyre would last if measured every 1000 miles.
The legal limit for a bike is 1mm across the entire width of the tyre correct? And 1.6 for a car across central 3/4s?
1mm seems like nothing as well, how could that be at all safe in the wet?

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 18:08 - 12 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have to be going pretty damned fast to aquaplane a motorcycle tyre due to the small contact patch and round profile. Far less likely to happen that on a car. The tread is only there to clear water, it's the compound that grips.

If you think 1mm is bad, you need "visible tread" on vintage mopeds.

I don't think your idea will work though, they seem to wear down faster towards the end of their life- possibly due to heating up more? Be interesting to test though. Do report back with what you find.

Evil Hans
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:39 - 12 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:

If you think 1mm is bad, you need "visible tread" on all mopeds..

FTFY

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:54 - 12 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

All sorts of things happen as a tyre ages/wears. Tyre tread depth and ability to clear water is only one aspect of safety. Take two tyres of the same type on new the other worn, one will have a nice firm feel and stiff carcass, the other will be floppy as a wet rag.

Used to drive my missus mad when I'd buy new tyres to take to the runway if mine were even half-worn. I just didn't fancy running 200mph+ with the tyres at 50psi on worn carcasses. Apart from that the reduction in rolling resistance was very apparent on a new tyre.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

JackButler
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 00:06 - 13 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you need to rely on legislation to tell you when it's come time for new tyres . . . . Then you really do need that job pays slightly above minimum wage & then cost of new tyres isn't as much of a problem.

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:32 - 13 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
You have to be going pretty damned fast to aquaplane a motorcycle tyre due to the small contact patch and round profile.

I managed to aquaplane my old Zed1100 at the bottom of Haldon Hill in some vile weather, probably wasn't exceeding a ton. I don't recall my tread being overly grim and the Zed wasn't exactly the lightest of crotch rockets, luckily I was through the puddle in no time and not on a bend. Must say it was a bit of a sphincter clencher feeling the front end go light in that kind of weather.

As for the topic, I was quite surprised at just how little thickness there is on a Pilot 2 between running out of tread, hitting 'canvas' and going through. When you're illegal at 3500 miles and canvassed at 4000 it's not something you want to be ignoring for too long.

EazyDuz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:43 - 13 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

JackButler wrote:
If you need to rely on legislation to tell you when it's come time for new tyres . . . . Then you really do need that job pays slightly above minimum wage & then cost of new tyres isn't as much of a problem.

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/TastyScarceConch-size_restricted.gif

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:09 - 13 May 2020    Post subject: Re: How much tread is typically on a brand new tyre? Reply with quote

EazyDuz wrote:
How much tread is typically on a brand new tyre?

When I was playing with spreadsheets for a DIY speedo, I went particularly OCD on the accuracy to the extent of tyre wear affecting the radius for the calculation. It's going to depend on the tyre, but I'd found 7mm when new.

As an aside, I stopped being anal about it and went with 800 pulses per mile, as it was good enough and a nice round number Smile
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:14 - 13 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW, my current tyres (Michelin PR4) had 5mm on the front and 6.5mm on the back, when new.
stinkwheel wrote:
I don't think your idea will work though, they seem to wear down faster towards the end of their life- possibly due to heating up more?

I've done this myself with reasonable success; just enough to give me a fair idea of whether my tyres have enough tread to last going on tour or not.

blurredman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:16 - 13 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do find it interesting that the more the tyre wears, the quicker it wears. I though perhaps that less flex in the tread would occur.

That said, I myself have just experienced a tyre that 'will need preparation for replacement soon' (like buying the tyre), has after only 500 miles suddenly become 'that tyre is borderline illegal'.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 347 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1