Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

New biker! Hit me with your wisdom-sticks

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

BeaverBike
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 17:32 - 13 May 2020    Post subject: New biker! Hit me with your wisdom-sticks Reply with quote

Hello Everyone,

Firstly I would like to say thank you for welcoming me* to the group, I hope you are all safe and sound!

I have been given the opportunity through work to complete the BMW Rider Training (DAS) in June (hopefully) - Once completed I will be on an A2 license due to the fact I haven’t held a bike license for 2 years, and I’m only 21.

SO! Like many of you, I have been working from home, dreaming of what life will be like once I have my license and the weather is well. I used to ride Downhill/Enduro mountain biking so getting a motorbike license has got me excited (new shiny stuff woo!)

I’ve been looking at gear and bikes, and trying to create a short list to have a look at once possible,

So far the bikes I’m interested in are:

- BMW G310 R / GS (leaning more towards the GS)
- Honda CB500 f / X
- Kawasaki z400
- Honda CRF250L
- Kawasaki KX
- Any other recommendations
- Yamaha XT660 (recommended by Cdug & stinkwheel)
- Kawasaki KLE500 (recommended by stinkwheel & wr6133)
- Kawasaki KLX
- Suzuki DRZ400 (recommended by Cdug)

Now I know I will need to test drive them to see which ones I prefer as I have seen enough posts previously of “test drive them all and see what you like” I’m ideally looking for peoples personal experiences with either the bikes/ dealers /servicing parts etc…

My intended use will be a mix of Road and Trails , possibly take the Better half on as a pillion once I’ve got some more experience riding.

To give you an idea, the Trails I would like to do would be The GWT / TET - as I live in NorthEast Hampshire (I have a strong love for Scotland and am considering moving there with the BH)

My budget: Ideally around £4/5,000 for bike, + a bit more for bits like a slide cage etc, I’m open to the idea of having 2 bikes possibly (£2/3k split) as I have heard “dual sports means compromises”, but so far the G310 GS seems to be a decent bargain with some as low as £3.5k (G310 R’s £2.5-£3K)

Gear budget is a higher priority than bike budget, I would rather go for a cheaper bike with gear that will increase my chance of survival if I hit the floor (or anything else) hard.
Gear budget is probably around an additional £1,000 or more if needed**

*Disclaimer, don’t feel pressured to welcome me, but if you don’t I’ll never bring you cookies

**I have a kidney for sale if anyone is interested

Last edited by BeaverBike on 16:03 - 14 May 2020; edited 2 times in total

jeffyjeff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:48 - 13 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greetings Bellyfull!
My wisdom stick says get a jacket with armor and a good back protector. I personally am partial to leather...doesn't necessarily have to be black, there is a lot of sport gear available in colors. A quality lined leather jacket keeps the wind off better than any textile, and keeps me comfortable when temperatures drop down into the 40's or even high 30's.

You can get leather pants, too, but I prefer the utility of leather chaps. Gotta have thick skin though. You'll get a lot of shit from idiots who will question your sexual orientation.

Rock on!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 22:52 - 13 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leather chaps?

What's wrong with the PVC ones? They're much easier to wipe down.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 23:19 - 13 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://i.imgur.com/u1yCqkA.jpg

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 00:21 - 14 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

My wisdom stick says spend half your gear budget on more training after you pass your test because not crashing inthe first place is the best protection bar none.

Also not blowing your wad on an expensive bike 'till you know what you like in one.

Trail riding in Scotland is tricky. No BOATs and greenlanes. You need the landowners permission.

Looking at a list of natively A2 compliant, dual-sport bikes that will cope with proper trails and not be totally awful on the road or 2-up. Yamaha XT660Z? Maybe a bit old for you though?

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:24 - 14 May 2020    Post subject: Re: New biker! Hit me with your wisdom-sticks Reply with quote

BellyfullBikes wrote:
Firstly I would like to say thank you for welcoming me to the group...

Rather presumptuous! We don't know if we like you yet Wink I note you've not attached any pictures of bikes and/or the other half Very Happy Not getting off to a good start...

I wouldn't panic too much about a specific bike as you'll probably learn what you really want after the first one. I would suggest a nice solid, middle of the road dual-sport. Jack of all trades, master of none sounds bad but you might find yourself leaning more off- than on-road or visa versa.

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:27 - 14 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

As the above really; don't skimp on gear (which you seem to recognise already) as it'll probably last you a good few years, factor in a bit of extra training and don't be too hung up on a specific bike for your first one. I was utterly convinced I knew what I wanted as I had wanted once since i was 16 (a Bonneville by the way), initially I loved it as I had nothing to compare it to, but over time I realised it was the bike I thought I wanted, not I actually wanted.

You mention dual sports . . . how tall are you, or more specifically what's your inside leg length like? Some DS are pretty lofty which for a first bike may be intimidating; you'll likely get plopped onto some pretty low-average in height for training.

I would strongly recommend buying your kit before your training (but after you've done CBT if you haven't already, both to entitle you for the various tests but also to confirm you actually want to ride a bike!) as stuff you train in probably won't be a perfect fit, might be a bit tatty etc. - my view is when you're learning, the last thing you want is to be distracted by your kit. Buy stuff in person too (hard at the moment obviously) as fit is really important with bike gear, especially your lid.

Good luck and keep us posted!

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:39 - 14 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just googled TET, if this is as bad as it gets I'd take a road bike down that Laughing Not that I'm recommending you do but it looks like you don't necessarily need a really hardcore offroader.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49893273891_2d2c477c32_c.jpg

Personally I think you should spend less, unless those big numbers are actual spare cash you have lying around that is alot of money to piss away on something you have not even tried/got in to properly.

I'd buy an old XT or KLE, something you can batter about down green lanes without the worry of totally fucking up a new bike and repair yourself without to much drama.

Once you are done dropping and crashing the thing and armed with a much more accurate picture of what you require from a bike, then go and spunk the big money (or keep it for a house deposit and laugh at all the renters you know in a decade time bitching about buying a house, while you collect motorbikes).

That 1k should do you fine for gear, remember a 700 quid helmet passes the same standards as the 100 quid lid. You should manage head to toe with decent stuff for a grand.

BeaverBike
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 09:01 - 14 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers for the quick replies!

I’ve put in a disclaimer for my presumptions thanks and added an avatar

I’ve got 0 bikes at the moment, family have never ridden Sad so I’m the first one be interested in riding!

My inside leg is about 82cm ish, I’m about 5,11 / 6ft depends who’s asking, and suspect around 200lbs (possibly 250lbs if this lockdown goes on any longer aha)

Had a look at the XT and KLX (cheers for recommendation) nice bikes, like the XT :3

I’ve taken note to reduce the budget (I guess it’s like cars, don’t go out and buy a Ferrari for yours 1st one because you’ll mess it up)

I will definitely look to get some more training (off road stuff looks very appealing and hopefully by then I’ve worn the Mrs down enough that she’ll come along as well)

Stupid question but where do yours guys/gals/ze-zer etc. Etc. Buy your bikes?! Auto trader, eBay? I can’t seem to find things that strike me as a “deal”

Also, what should I be looking for mileage? For the older single cylinders I suspect they’re easily repaired / serviceable by self with some hard work.
[/b]

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:57 - 14 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

BellyfullBikes wrote:

Stupid question but where do yours guys/gals/ze-zer etc. Etc. Buy your bikes?! Auto trader, eBay? I can’t seem to find things that strike me as a “deal”

I prefer private sales. I tend to trawl eBay, Gumtree and Facebook marketplace. Local forums can be ok too. If you go this way firstly take someone who knows bikes well. Don't fuck around, call seller arrange soonest possible time to see and arrive with a thick wad of cash to wave at them. You'll be shocked how easy it is for someone to end an eBay auction 5 days early because you are there waving (lowball) cash.

Dealers you will pay more, you will get some kind of warranty but odds are it'll be worthless. You might get a free coffee too. Main advantage is you can go to a dealer and sit on alot of types of bike to at least get a feel. Feel is best you will do most places will not allow a brand new licence to test ride.

BellyfullBikes wrote:
Also, what should I be looking for mileage? For the older single cylinders I suspect they’re easily repaired / serviceable by self with some hard work.
[/b]

Condition. Higher miles that has been loved and well serviced is better than lower miles that has been redlined it's entire life, left outside and only given an oil change if sounded rattley.

c_dug
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:59 - 14 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome!

CRF250L is a bit on the under powered side for pillion use in my opinion, if you were after something which would spend the majority of it's time being used off road I'd have said it was a great choice.

I'd echo the XT660, it's a solid recommendation.

DRZ400 might be worth a look too. though neither the DRZ or CRF will be comfortable at all for pillion.

Bike prices are a bit odd at the moment, I've been wondering if lots of people are turning to bikes as a way of avoiding public transport whilst Covid is ongoing. Certainly I have a couple of friends that fall into that camp. In any case, personally I tend to turn to https://www.autotrader.co.uk/bikes and https://www.motorcyclenews.com/bikes-for-sale/ when I'm looking for a new bike, and then invariably end up buying from eBay, no idea why, that's just how it tends to go!

For bike gear I'd be after textiles over leathers, though again very much personal opinion, but I prefer the versatility and comfort of textiles for the most part. I do have a set of leathers in the loft but they come out less than once a year.

You probably want different gear for days spent riding off road, generally you'll be working hard and moving slowly so get hot quickly, and you'll be more interested in impact protection than slide protection.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 10:29 - 14 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

KLE500 was always the unloved red headed stepchild of dual-sports bike but hell, they'll cope with a moderate amount of offroad and being a twin, are totally fine on the road over distance and with a pillion. Quicker on the road than they have any right to be.

Getting older now mind and some people find them uncomfortable, questionable styling. I ran one as my main bike for a few years including long distance touring round the Highlands. It's actually still on the road, mate's won the rat and survival bike show on it twice now.

BeaverBike
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 16:37 - 14 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

So Thank you for further replies and suggestions,

I’ve been looking at the suggestions and have updated the original post with the bikes and credits to who recommended them (sorry if I missed you out)

I seem to be comparing the bikes against a BMW G310 GS (34bhp single cylinder) 17-19plate around £3.5-4K

The XT660 seems perfect! Also stock it’s 46bhp so fits perfectly within A2 license restrictions

:O KLE500 also looks suitable too (however couldn’t see many for sale with the quick internet search)

Seen a couple XT660s in the £3-4K price band on eBay varied mileage and age, but as noted above CONDITION of the bike is most important (cheers)

Which leads me on to the next debate, how does an XT660 stack up against a G310GS (or G650?) for the same price?

Also to note:

Seems Textiles > leathers: Any specific brands that are great (or to avoid)?

I was recommended Shoei Helmets and had a brief look at the GT Air? Anyone had experience with this?

Also food for thought: Restricted Bike (95bhp restricted to 47.5bhp ish) or stock 47.5bhp (max)?

c_dug
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:35 - 14 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I'd opt for stock ~45bhp over a restricted bike, no need to lug around the extra weight of a bigger engine/chassis etc and no temptation to sneakily de-restrict and hope not to get caught.

I say that full well in the knowledge that I personally ignored my 33bhp restriction for most of the second year, but I'd probably not risk the same these days.

Helmets are ideally bought on fit rather than just plain size measurement, though I'd imagine testing a dozen different helmets to see which fits best will be difficult whilst Covid is still kicking about!

With helmets the higher costs are generally going on better quality vents/visors/linings etc rather than more safety, safety comes more from the fit. Personally I like DD over quick release, and these days insist on pin-lock, steamed visors piss me off no end.

Textiles, experience has taught me nothing beats Gore-Tex for all day waterproof, if that's a concern, expect to pay more for it though. At the very least removable lining and a full length waist zip are musts in my book.

As mentioned earlier, I personally would want separate gear for days spent on the dirt. You don't want to ruin a ~£200 pair of trousers on rocks and mud.

Blueberry
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 09:50 - 26 May 2020    Post subject: Re: New biker! Hit me with your wisdom-sticks Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
My wisdom stick says spend half your gear budget on more training after you pass your test because not crashing in the first place is the best protection bar none.

+1, and I recommend a BikeSafe day as soon as you've passed DAS. It's an excellent starter for ten, and an enjoyable day out too.

Often, you need to book BikeSafe early because it's popular and soon books up for the year. IAM Roadsmart or RoSPA are worthwhile too Thumbs Up

But Rapid Training – if you can afford it – is utterly brilliant for riding skills and the most fun too Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:43 - 26 May 2020    Post subject: Re: New biker! Hit me with your wisdom-sticks Reply with quote

BellyfullBikes wrote:

- Honda CB500 f / X

Very good, long-lasting engine. Excellent value for money road bike.

Quote:

- Honda CRF250L

Fun bike but thief magnet. Get a tracker system.

Quote:

- Yamaha XT660

Magnificent beast - I recommend. This is what I would go for, if I had off road opportunities local to me. It's a lot of fun on the road too. I enjoyed my time on one. Don't forget a tracker.

Quote:

- Kawasaki KLE500 (recommended by stinkwheel & wr6133)

Very long in the tooth (would be a good project), and personally, I don't like it. Off road, it's OK. On the road, anaemic.

Might be putting the cart before the horse here. Also, bear in mind you will chop and change bikes a few times before you know what you like.

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 14:13 - 26 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh-Kay.
My sport was 'natural terrain, Observed' trials; in short slow speed rock-hopping.
When I started, over 30 years ago. no skid lid was needed, and in the intervening, ACU have only made that plus gloves 'mandatory' with 'advice' to clubs competitors 'should' wear long sleeve jerseys.
I've done most of my falling off, which is the main definition of 'off-roading' btw; in jeans and a rugby shirt. Hat is a £20 open face, & gloves £20 Sammy Miller specials.

Best advice I was ever given was don't skimp on BOOTS. You want good ones to protect from stabbing your own shin with the foot-peg/ brake pedal/ lever / handlebar.

Plus good grip to get OFF; you can do that you know, and 'pre-walk' what you got to ride, so its no surprise

Did I say, 'off-road' is more 'off' than anything?
As such, dings, dents broken plastics, bent bars and bruises are all par for the course. If looking for bikes.. well pristine means some-one has either never taken it off road. and or is hiding something... buyer beware...

Look past the shiny bits, consider the mechanicals, CAREFULLY!
And make/model/colour really dont make much odds.

Tops choice I would have for week-end green-laner these days would be something 'like' a Yamie DT125 or a Honda XR125. Power is NOT what matters much in the mud, and more weight just means more mass to muscle out the mud... a lot.
The Cota only has about 12bhp, you really dont 'need' much if any more; decent tyres make much more odds.

So go see whats on offer and how expensive it is.. WHEN you have a licence to ride it... till then not much matres really....

Save your pennies for replacing plastics, getting wheels straightened and elasto-plast... probably in that sort of order...

And remember, NO-ONE cares what YOU or BIKE look like when you are both bleeding and broken and covered in landscape....
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Ice Burger
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 13:48 - 28 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I came from a similar background, no biker friends or family so I had to learn a lot of things myself.

I have to stress a couple of safety tips:

- It's good to develop a healthy fear of manhole covers especially when slippery and wet. It's fine to ride over them going straight, but take maximum caution in turns, if one wheel slips, its likely the rest of the bike will fall over.

- If you dont have ABS on your bike, teach yourself how to stop quickly. Apply the brakes like you're squeezing juice out of an orange, progressively harder.

- Know your limits! When I got my first 125 I wanted to race with the big bikes and would try to chase behind them, I would follow round bends and turns with much more speed I was able to safely handle, luckily I made it out these encounters, albeit a lot wiser and frightened. Please don't be like this! keep to your own pace and don't end up in a wreck.

- Also try your best to remember to cancel your indicators Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:12 - 28 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

The new ktm 390 adventure is only 5.5k new. I think I'd go for that over a 310gs, but the cb500x is the pick if you can't find a decent xt660.

BeaverBike
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 21:51 - 20 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you everyone for the responses - I’ve got my eyes open for a XT660as they just seem perfect for everything

Just waiting to do my Theory Test and then I can crack on with my DAS! (Once it stops being delayed by the DVLA)

Sketchy2013
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 22:14 - 20 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't give much advice on bikes as I've only had 3 one of them was a suzuki dr350 which you might like? But for riding advice when I did my test I was very much taught ride to survive etc any way stopped one day for drink and got chatting to some ol bloke who happened to be a instructor and he gave me some sound advice which I try to pass on as much as I can he said.. Ride to arrive no amount of safety equipment will save you if you break your neck. Lastly don't get caught up on bhp latest and greatest. Your first bike whatever it is will be the one you remember Smile hope this helps alittle
terrytibbs This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Abusive). Unhide this post / all posts.
bikerlady20 This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Spam). Unhide this post / all posts.

T1Cybernetic
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 11:44 - 14 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Karma The Yamaha XT660 Thumbs Up Looks great and it sounds great too !

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:32 - 14 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goes straight for the best one on the list...

OK, from now on I'm only recommending the Yamaha Diversion 600. Laughing
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 246 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2