Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Party whips chastise mps over fake news.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs
View previous topic : View next topic  

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 18:32 - 14 May 2020    Post subject: Party whips chastise mps over fake news. Reply with quote

As title. Please discuss.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-52653609

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:11 - 14 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

MPs of all varieties are spreading a lot of "fake news". However, taking a video at face value and not checking it is rather naïve, and it is right that these particular MPs should have been taken to task.

I do note in the BBC article that: "Labour MP and shadow Treasury minister Wes Streeting replied: "What's revealing is that: 1. You've spread fake news and indulged a smear being promoted by the far right. 2. You had time to do this despite being a minister in the Department of Health during a public health crisis.

"It's either malevolence or stupidity. Probably both."
"

I do not think it right that MPs should say those things, either, and look forward to Mr Streeting being taken to task as well.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 20:06 - 14 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you put it down to, then. Seems a quite straightforward and accurate statement.

I'll also point out that your opening comment is that they should be taken to task.surely that's what that is.

Jmoan
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 20:35 - 14 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

The media spreads fake news the police spread fake news and who did [/i]Sir[/i] gobble off to get that title.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:41 - 14 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd think MPs would have better things to do than flinging shit around on social media. I'd think they'd be quite busy around about now Neutral

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:53 - 14 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
I'd think MPs would have better things to do than flinging shit around on social media. I'd think they'd be quite busy around about now Neutral

Not really. If the last four years has shown us anything it's that politicians are surprisingly ineffectual. They're only interested in the gravy train and in prestige. Also take a look at the number of holidays Parliament has.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:07 - 14 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
What do you put it down to, then. Seems a quite straightforward and accurate statement.

I'll also point out that your opening comment is that they should be taken to task.surely that's what that is.

What do I put it down to? Naïvety, as I said in my post.

I also said it is good that they were taken to task. The party whips did that.

However, the other fellow whatshisname should be pulled up also.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 21:12 - 14 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, the fact that the whips have been even mentioned in the article is because the conservative leadership are mightily pissed with them and at any other time Boris would be stating his utmost confidence in them and they'll have resigned in the morning

Quite frankly they've got off incredibly lightly and having the opposition state that they are stupid is quite correct.

The chief whip probably had a screaming fit at each of them in turn.
Rebel This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:06 - 15 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rebel wrote:
Anyone with eyes that close together is patently not to be trusted.
I am of course referring to the execrable neocon shill Keir Starmer.

Yes, I'm sure he is quite capable of fucking things up on his own without assistance from opposing MPs Smile

I also recall seeing, many, MANY moons ago a TV doc on advertising and one of the coke snorters ad executives stated "never slate your competition, it makes you look small and petty" (or words to that effect) and I've always thought that was a good rule to stick to.

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:23 - 15 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had some facebook article yesterday (I think it's been removed) which had pictures of Boris, Gove, and Hancock demonised with blood on their hands. So it works both ways.

What was amusing was that Labour HQ evidently 'encouraged' them to apologise several times, because their response to complaints went from 'Not sorry at all', to 'Sorry for posting it but it's a fact', to 'Sorry for posting it', to 'Sorry for posting it and it won't happen again'.

lol
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 18:47 - 15 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tbh I posted this because I fancied fishing for some nice fresh donk but he had the cheek to flounce before he saw it.

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:03 - 15 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
politicians are surprisingly ineffectual. They're only interested in the gravy train and in prestige. Also take a look at the number of holidays Parliament has.

I really think politics is divided in almost the same way that society is.

There are the gravy train charlatans who think it's their god given right to rule the proles, and there are the hard working democratically minded folk on both sides of the political spectrum doing all the legwork.

Today I was listening to BBC Asian radio in my car (no I don't understand the Urdu parts Laughing, I just live near Bradford and my radio had reset itself...) and an MP was on to answer listener questions about the economic and business situation we're currently in. He gave excellent answers, and it was really obvious that he was working extremely hard to understand and deal with the situation the country is currently in. He was just some unknown guy, yet his responses were so much more down to earth and well researched than what you ever hear from the upper echelon folk who sit at the top of the power ladder.

I really got the feeling that there are people in government (the Tories, who I'm supposed to hate) who really are trying very hard indeed to make this all work. Meanwhile we have Boris 'lovable' Johnson sitting in front of TV cameras babbling absolute shite in a plum accent to endear the masses, then returning to his country manner to shag his extra-marital missus and care for his what, 7th child? and let the plebs do whatever it is that plebs normally do. Because that's his god given right.

"Democracy" Laughing

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:14 - 15 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord Percy wrote:
an MP was on to answer listener questions about the economic and business situation we're currently in. He gave excellent answers, and it was really obvious that he was working extremely hard to understand and deal with the situation the country is currently in.

Plenty (especially when in opposition) will empathise and talk the talk you want to hear, but what do they actually achieve?

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:36 - 15 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
Lord Percy wrote:
an MP was on to answer listener questions about the economic and business situation we're currently in. He gave excellent answers, and it was really obvious that he was working extremely hard to understand and deal with the situation the country is currently in.

Plenty (especially when in opposition) will empathise and talk the talk you want to hear, but what do they actually achieve?

No he wasn't opposition. A bit of research tells me it was Paul Scully, a Tory from the Reading area. Perhaps he was just talking the talk, but his responses weren't just bluster and deflection. It was clear he had been doing a lot of work and research. Far more than good old lovable Boris with his floppy hair.

Just let me praise a Tory for once, it doesn't happen often Laughing
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 339 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1