Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

I made an E-Bike - With Pics

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell
View previous topic : View next topic  

BillyJ
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 15:04 - 15 May 2020    Post subject: I made an E-Bike - With Pics Reply with quote

I've been meaning to post about this for a while now, using a 15kW 120V controller with a 72V battery and MXUS 3k Turbo motor rated for 3kW continuous. I can comfortably reach about 10kW peak.
Bike weighs about 30kg.

She's.. umm... rapid! haha and range is pretty great!
At 30mph with no pedalling I predict approx. 35-40 miles.
Should get 20-25 miles of "hard riding" but brakes get hot quick as I've got no regen at the moment due to my investigation into a previous failure - details at the bottom.

The rough schematics (these changed a little but I ended up not updating the schematic and moved directly to wiring tables for the connectors):
https://i.ibb.co/d5RSt1Z/EBIKE.jpg

Late stage CAD design with 3D scanned bicycle frame and 3D modelled battery, BMS, controller shelf, controller and contactor.
https://i.ibb.co/PM31FXV/Whats-App-Image-2020-05-14-at-23-50-41.jpg

Ally frame fitting:
https://i.ibb.co/tzNf6TL/Whats-App-Image-2020-05-14-at-23-50-42.jpg

Battery pack post-welding:
For anyone in the know, yes all the cells had their internal resistance measured and matched in similar parallel blocks with the highest IR in the centre of the pack to reduce total heating in the pack - although this was an insignificant difference between parallel blocks. Oh and its 20s6p.
https://i.ibb.co/LNCW45Q/Whats-App-Image-2020-05-14-at-23-50-41-1.jpg

Battery pack with BMS attached:
BMS can handle 300A bursts, I have it programmed to cut at 150A and I have a hard fuse at 125A which has been well matched to the setup so far.
https://i.ibb.co/7Shw2P2/Whats-App-Image-2020-05-14-at-23-50-41-2.jpg

BMS software is pretty good actually:
https://i.ibb.co/pQxMzZ1/BMS.jpg

Custom spoked wheel (by me) to the MXUS 3kW motor. (I learnt to spoke a wheel the same night I made it haha):
https://i.ibb.co/pr0mzTX/Whats-App-Image-2020-05-14-at-23-57-36.jpg

Almost finished product with the carbon side plate removed:
Changes made after this were the dash, wiring finished and big gel saddle.
The battery pack is yellow because it's wrapped in fire proof kevlar fabric.
https://i.ibb.co/Fq5zLxq/Whats-App-Image-2020-05-14-at-23-50-42-1.jpg

Here is the 3D printed dash:
Note, the battery percentage is wrong, that's the only sh*t thing about the BMS software. But I know the percentage roughly based on cell voltage.
https://i.ibb.co/41GkCH4/Dash.jpg

Some fun challenges:
The motor is so wide that I had to angle grind the 3mm ish thick logo plates off the casing so they didn't hit the brake calliper... (the calliper still grinds a little Embarassed )

Had to make a torque arm to transfer the motor torque from the dropouts (can be seen in above image of the bike side on) and instead into the swingarm of the bicycle. Without this the dropouts would just get ripped apart. There's similar torque in this to my gsxr 1000 according to my dyno print out (of the gsxr)

First and only "big" failure so far was at about 55mph when I lost all power and what had happened was a FET short circuited in one of the phases that required extensive open heart surgery to swap out that complete leg of MOSFETs. Since then it's limited to 30mph for range and reliability but I'll start turning up again soon. The worst outcome of this was that after the failure, the short circuit meant that the motor was cogging (dragging) so badly I couldn't even pedal. The first upgrade was adding a connector to disconnect the motor if this happens again so I can at least pedal.

The front flexes quite a lot under heavy braking and turning... a bit like a CB500 haha. I can't do too much about that... meh.

Regarding legality, it can be turned down a lot.

Feel free to ask questions.

Last edited by BillyJ on 09:31 - 17 Aug 2020; edited 1 time in total

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:18 - 15 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Impressive, I build one with a 1.5kW rear hub motor similar to yours. Schwalbe tyres FTW I see...

Mine only cruised to about 30, max 35 on the flat - nothing dramatic - but the torque still scared the shit out of me!

My tips: oversized disks, hydraulic brakes. BIG difference Smile Also, what sort of throttle you running? Bit hard to see from the photos. I found a really nice full-twist throttle from China that was practically invisible:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ebike-Throttle-for-bafang-BBS01-BBS02-BBSHD-1000W-BAFANG-Part-Accessories/253940399025

...referring to the chunky bit on the end most cheap throttles have.

As to legalities, don't try fooling anyone here. It's a 3kW motor and restricting it to 17.5mph is irrelevant. It's over 250W, no certified throttle, overspec battery and controller: straight to jail, do not pass Go, do not collect £200; if the Police ever bothered you which TBF is unlikely.

I went with a downhill racer frame which was the longest wheelbase I could lay my hands on at the time and - regardless of having less than half the power of your beast - I came to the conclusion that the geometry didn't suit that level of power. Just my personal opinion. So I got a real bike instead Wink

That being said I'd be highly tempted to buy some steel and a tube bender and make up a longer wheelbase custom frame... if I didn't have a million better things to do Very Happy

BillyJ
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 16:47 - 15 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot and yeah the tyres are so good! Worth the extra money for the much higher demands they see than pathetic human pedalling haha
Now it's turned down, it cruises super easily at 30 and with very little effort tops out at 40.

It's got hydraulic brakes and I went up 20mm on the already decent size discs. I'd go larger if I had the balls to stack 2 disc spacers on top of each other. Laughing
I originally had a thumb throttle but ended up changing it for a nice hall effect full twist throttle from China. Not dissimilar to what you linked actually and it's a huge upgrade.

Quote:

As to legalities, don't try fooling anyone here. It's a 3kW motor and restricting it to 17.5mph is irrelevant. It's over 250W, no certified throttle, overspec battery and controller: straight to jail, do not pass Go, do not collect £200; if the Police ever bothered you which TBF is unlikely.

I mean if I put it in slow mode with low current limits, it can be 250W and 16.5mph and the battery and controller spec shouldn't be an issue. At that point the only rule I fall foul of is no pedal assist.
Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green Laughing

Good shout with the downhill, I was forced into this shape bike as one of my personal design goals was to fit it all in the centre of the bike frame and i just got away with it haha

I was wondering what my next electric project will be and thought maybe a go kart or something but nothing will get used as much as a bicycle so I might get one of those big steel off road frames and build a 15kw offroad beast.

My cell pack now can deliver 90A continuous and 180A if you monitor temps (which I do). Equates to 16.8kW at full charge and around 10kW at empty.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 18:35 - 15 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if you could fit a set of speedway leading-links to it? That would eliminate the flex and lengthen the wheelbase. You'd need to add some way of fitting a brake though.

Is there a risk of the tyres slipping on the rim with that much torque? Or are you tubeless? Do they need a rimlock device like they use on trials bikes?

BillyJ
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 20:40 - 15 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
I wonder if you could fit a set of speedway leading-links to it? That would eliminate the flex and lengthen the wheelbase. You'd need to add some way of fitting a brake though.

Is there a risk of the tyres slipping on the rim with that much torque? Or are you tubeless? Do they need a rimlock device like they use on trials bikes?

Oh interesting, didn't know these were a thing. One thing I wanted to do was minimise mechanical mods to the bike hence why there is no drilling or welding to the frame directly.

Regarding tyre slip, I haven't had any issues at all.The tyres are reasonably high pressure (50psi ish) and I think the tyres have steel cables in the bead like a motorcycle tyre and are a tight fit to the rim which would aid with reducing tyre slip. - they're advertised as ebike tyres and super strong etc etc.

Gazza M
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 21:28 - 15 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the braking on the rear purely through the hub motor then or do you have mechanical brakes as a back up? I'd imagine that takes a fair bit of tweaking so it doesn try to harvest too much when you roll off the throttle

I wonder if there's a way of mounting a second caliper on the front as well to improve the bite
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:37 - 15 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
As to legalities, don't try fooling anyone here.

He may not live in the UK. TBH I hope he does not live in the UK, or at least will not ride that thing on the footpath like so many do.

BillyJ
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 21:43 - 15 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gazza M wrote:
Is the braking on the rear purely through the hub motor then or do you have mechanical brakes as a back up? I'd imagine that takes a fair bit of tweaking so it doesn try to harvest too much when you roll off the throttle

I wonder if there's a way of mounting a second caliper on the front as well to improve the bite

Yep there is a standard brake behind the motor, would be sketchy af without one. The regen is programmable, you can limit the negative current harvested from the motor which is essentially your negative torque or "braking".

The front brakes are fine regarding bite and feel, they just heat up if riding hard as you'd expect with the extra weight. You can offset this and increase your range a fair amount if you just ride more economically by rolling off the throttle and using the brakes less.

Gazza M
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 22:07 - 15 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fair enough, how much do you actually end up harvesting?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:45 - 15 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

TBH the regen you get back is pathetic - once you get on one of these things the thought of "energy efficiency" flies completely out the window Twisted Evil Way too much fun!

However it does make for a good alternative to wearing out brake pads and discs so well worth having. I did toy with various ways of employing it to simulate ICE-style engine braking but I never managed to perfect it.

As an aside, I can't think of anywhere with eBike regulations where 3kW is legal. I'd be curious if anyone could correct me...

Regarding frames: I know what you mean! The suspension arrangements of most downhill racers zap most of the internal triangle. I was only running 48V but even so I still had to weld up a custom shaped pack to fit the space available.

Here's some mad ideas if you have the yen to do something new:

An electric cruiser: take some inspiration from the beach cruiser style, stretch it out a bit but just drop the pretence of pedals and just leave it 100% electric hence skipping the problem of having a massively long chain. A 20 inch fat tyre on the back, standard 26 or 27.5 on the front. Yes, I'm totally insane, ask around.

An electric trike: single electric hub motor at the back and two wheels for steering up front? Far to easy! How about having the both front wheels with hub motors! Twin throttles - you'd need Jedi skills to control it but it'd be a fast way to A&E!

BillyJ
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 12:36 - 16 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gazza M wrote:
Fair enough, how much do you actually end up harvesting?

How do you quantify much?
Can I regen enough to lock up the rear wheel?
Absolutely, yes

Should I regen as much as possible?
Tricky questions, there a pros and cons to regen.

Pros:
-Increased range and eff.
-Less mechanical braking required
-Feels more like a motorbike with engine braking so can be easier to ride

Cons:
-Significantly increased cell heating (charging cells is less eff. than discharging them)
-Constantly charging or discharging while moving which is higher demand on the cells (similar to above point)
-Feels less like a bicycle as you don't freewheel
-The eff of the energy path from the cells>controller>motor>wheel and back again is very low. So if you pull 1kWh from the battery and have full regen on and you don't touch the brakes... you'd be lucky to get back 0.1kWh.

TL;DR
It's worth using it a bit or even better having it on a second throttle to use it like a normal brake but the difference in range is very small.

Also this is very true:
Easy-X wrote:
TBH the regen you get back is pathetic - once you get on one of these things the thought of "energy efficiency" flies completely out the window Twisted Evil Way too much fun!

BillyJ
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 12:42 - 16 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:

As an aside, I can't think of anywhere with eBike regulations where 3kW is legal. I'd be curious if anyone could correct me...

There are some European countries with no rules on ebikes at all which makes everything legal. In the UK though, the maximum power output cannot be more than 250W but there is nothing stopping the motor from being 4MW capable haha

Easy-X wrote:

Here's some mad ideas if you have the yen to do something new:

An electric cruiser: take some inspiration from the beach cruiser style, stretch it out a bit but just drop the pretence of pedals and just leave it 100% electric hence skipping the problem of having a massively long chain. A 20 inch fat tyre on the back, standard 26 or 27.5 on the front. Yes, I'm totally insane, ask around.

This was actually my first plan Laughing . The super wide dropouts let you fit basically any motor Twisted Evil . I had to stretch my swingarm arm about 5-10mm to get the current motor in there... Shocked

Trikes sound lethal though.

Got any photos of the ebike you made? I'd be interested in seeing your battery pack if you made it yourself?

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:40 - 16 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here you go:

https://i.imgur.com/79Lwjar.jpg?1

No pictures of the battery pack in a state of undress but then they all look the same really.

Controller's in the top bag, batteries in the bottom one.

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:05 - 16 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
Here you go:

No pictures of the battery pack in a state of undress but then they all look the same really.

That is one interesting seat. I've never seen one like that before. Thinking

BillyJ
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 21:56 - 16 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
Here you go:

That's nice and tidy. Weird seat Laughing but where did you get the kickstand from?

I bought a beefy cast ally one that looks similar to yours from china and as it just snapped in half with the bike weight.

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 22:37 - 16 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
I wonder if you could fit a set of speedway leading-links to it? That would eliminate the flex and lengthen the wheelbase. You'd need to add some way of fitting a brake though

Wouldn't make any difference. What he needs is a twin yoke i.e top and bottom yoke or even better would be a Cannondale headshock.

BillyJ
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 22:46 - 16 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

sickpup wrote:
stinkwheel wrote:
I wonder if you could fit a set of speedway leading-links to it? That would eliminate the flex and lengthen the wheelbase. You'd need to add some way of fitting a brake though

Wouldn't make any difference. What he needs is a twin yoke i.e top and bottom yoke or even better would be a Cannondale headshock.

Yeah fully agree with this!
Wanted a bike with a twin yoke and thicker forks but this came up and was a really good price and the right size. Couldn't say no.

If I were to do it again I'd probably go for:
Bigger brakes
Twin yokes
Better bike geometry (more motorbike-y)

If I really cared I could just change the forks out to one's with twin yokes and mounts for a larger disc on the front.
That's not free though and the bike is still great without it so not too bothered.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:22 - 17 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well this is where we go from motorising a bicycle to making an actual motorbike!

The best home made ebike examples I've seen tend turn out more like e-dirtbikes (geometry wise) than push-bikes.

BillyJ
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 17:27 - 17 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
Well this is where we go from motorising a bicycle to making an actual motorbike!

The best home made ebike examples I've seen tend turn out more like e-dirtbikes (geometry wise) than push-bikes.

Yep, agreed.

The nice bit about converting an existing bicycle is it can still mostly look like a bicycle and you don't fall into the clearly a motorbike category.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:41 - 17 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I ever build another ebike I'll just stick with super-stealth.

Unless you swing for big bucks the largest hub motor I've found is 350W that'll tuck behind the cassette to the point it's barely noticeable. Couple that with a light alloy frame and battery/controller tucked in a toolbag one might manage a respectable 20 to 25 mph without actually looking like an ebike.

BillyJ
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 20:52 - 17 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
If I ever build another ebike I'll just stick with super-stealth.

Unless you swing for big bucks the largest hub motor I've found is 350W that'll tuck behind the cassette to the point it's barely noticeable. Couple that with a light alloy frame and battery/controller tucked in a toolbag one might manage a respectable 20 to 25 mph without actually looking like an ebike.

Yeah, very good shout.

A friend of mine is doing something similar now and trying to fit all the cells and controller into a large water bottle.

Should be very cool when done.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 334 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1