chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:06 - 17 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

RhynoCZ wrote:
chickenstrip wrote:

Pussy Razz

You knew that was coming Laughing

How about fast bike controlled?

I'd rather be an alive pussy than a dead hero.

Even when you control the bike perfectly, you are still doing triple digits on the open road very often, effortlessly. Other road users are not accustomed to that. The ZX10R was a real eye opener for me (note, bikes got faster since 2007). One thing though, just like the ZX7R, that I owned, the ZX10R gave you tons of false sense of safety. When a bike is made to do 160mph+ and you're going ''just'' 120mph on it, it feels like nothing to you, until the moment something goes wrong.

Lastly, having 120-140kW under my arse and using just 70kW of that, at most, isn't very exciting. Meaning, going slow on a fast bike is, meh.

Feck off, you added the ZX10R bit after I posted Laughing

As per the OP, is a Street Triple too fast?
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:22 - 17 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
Feck off, you added the ZX10R bit after I posted Laughing

As per the OP, is a Street Triple too fast?

When I edited the comment at 23:52, I could not see your response from 23:50 quite yet. Shifty

Anyway, I do not think a Street Triple would be way too fast for the open road. From my experience, all the naked 600cc-750cc bikes are just about ideal for having fun while keeping it still safe.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:25 - 17 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

RhynoCZ wrote:

When I edited the comment at 23:52, I could not see your response from 23:50 quite yet. Shifty

Anyway, I do not think a Street Triple would be way too fast for the open road. From my experience, all the naked 600cc-750cc bikes are just about ideal for having fun while keeping it still safe.

Well, the Street Triple set the reference for the thread, so you know where you can stick your ZX10R Laughing
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Blueberry
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 15:55 - 19 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think small bike are more fun (except on motorways!).

PotatoHead202...
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 23:25 - 19 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got my cbf500 mainly as i wanted something simple as a project bike. Since I've finally got it working properly I absolutely love it. You can chuck the thing into the corners with almost no concern and as long as you keep it on song it's more than fast enough for the road - and this is coming from someone whose almost 18 stone.
Don't get me wrong I love my K1300 but for back roads the 500 is better in every way imaginable (apart from brakes). Counter that on faster roads the K1300 is far better.
Why not do what I did and buy a snotter, do it up and have it for back roads hooning?

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:44 - 19 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got to admit, if I had both the GSX750 and the Snarley (1100 sportster) on the road, I would be more likely to go out on the GSX.

The Snarley would be more for showing off.
But now because its the only one I have on the road (although technically not right now, cos its in the MOT garage being made road legal) ... it has at least meant that I've gotten used to the very peculiar motion and ways that Harleys have, still not sure I am a huge fan of them, but this bike in particular I have come to quite like and am unlikely to really ever want to sell it.

When I first brought the GSX back from Milan, I was crazy in love with it for months. Mind you, it was fantastically tuned, the guy I bought it off really did know what he was doing.

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:14 - 20 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

PotatoHead2020 wrote:
I got my cbf500 mainly as i wanted something simple as a project bike. Since I've finally got it working properly I absolutely love it. You can chuck the thing into the corners with almost no concern and as long as you keep it on song it's more than fast enough for the road - and this is coming from someone whose almost 18 stone.
Don't get me wrong I love my K1300 but for back roads the 500 is better in every way imaginable (apart from brakes).

The CBF500 is an excellent, poised bike. Feels very tight, as a modern bike should feel. Superb handling, thanks to the balance, low centre of gravity, rigid feel and big tyres. But, as it's so refined, perhaps it does what it does a bit too well (even the old GPZ500S, ER5 and CB500 were sort of bland), and it's that lack of processed refinement in design and engineering which makes much older bikes more interesting to me. I know what those underrated 50-60hp twins can do (nothing new about that formula - goes back to the 60s). My next acquisition could well be an old 250/350 twin, or a big single. The more a bike feels like a bike, and the less like a car, the better.

1claire
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 01:35 - 20 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

It doesn't matter one way or the other. It should be fun no matter what and if it isn't then that isn't the bike for you.

NakedBiker
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 11:03 - 21 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

1claire wrote:
It doesn't matter one way or the other. It should be fun no matter what and if it isn't then that isn't the bike for you.

It's fun when you are doing license losing speeds but then the stress from the realisation that you will lose said license if you get caught, takes away from the fun. At least for me anyway Smile

NakedBiker
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 11:12 - 21 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="RhynoCZ"]
chickenstrip wrote:

I suppose it comes down to what you're definition of 'too fast for the road' is.

My Street is 120bhp and will be more or less as fast as any bike upto 120mph. (tenths of a second difference)

So how fast does a bike have to be to be too fast for the road? Smile

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:01 - 21 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely feel the power loss going from a K5 thou to a GSR750, but at least I can use more than first 3 gears on the 750 Wink The lack of fairings helps to keep things at sensible (ie non-immediate loss of licence) speeds too Laughing

c_dug
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:53 - 21 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yesterday I did a 140 mile motorway journey on a little 4 stroke Aprilia Tuono, bringing it home for a friend who only has his CBT.

It must have been the most engaging motorway journey I've ever done, honestly not a moment of boredom. Full blown race tuck to try and get the extra couple of mph up hills, slip streaming lorries and popping out to overtake as late as I dared, I even ventured into the outside lane a couple of times!

Having done the exact same journey a few weeks back on the GS, it was by far more enjoyable on the Tuono, and possibly more comfortable too!

Today I put my own two stroke Tuono back on the road for some small bike summer fun Mr. Green

Alex A
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:53 - 21 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fast bike fast?

jeffyjeff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:48 - 21 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

c_dug wrote:
It must have been the most engaging motorway journey I've ever done, honestly not a moment of boredom. Full blown race tuck to try and get the extra couple of mph up hills, slip streaming lorries and popping out to overtake as late as I dared

Ain't that the truth! Nothing like a small bike for practicing the techniques to squeeze out a little extra speed. I have definitely noticed how tucking into a passing car's slipstream can add a few extra mph. My YBR hits 62 pretty easy, but really runs out of steam at about 66 mph. When I slide in behind a passing automobile, it will wind up to 70 (maybe 72 on a hot day) and stay there for as long as I can keep it close. If the car driver is cool with me there (some are oblivious) I can keep it up all day. Once the car gets 30 to 40 yards ahead, it's all over.

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:33 - 21 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alex A wrote:
Fast bike fast?

Very Happy clearly best answer.

Though our knackered roads actually make it more like Very Happy Confused Crying or Very sad Rolling Eyes Sick Thumbs Down

NakedBiker
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 10:35 - 22 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Ain't that the truth! Nothing like a small bike for practicing the techniques to squeeze out a little extra speed. I have definitely noticed how tucking into a passing car's slipstream can add a few extra mph. My YBR hits 62 pretty easy, but really runs out of steam at about 66 mph. When I slide in behind a passing automobile, it will wind up to 70 (maybe 72 on a hot day) and stay there for as long as I can keep it close. If the car driver is cool with me there (some are oblivious) I can keep it up all day. Once the car gets 30 to 40 yards ahead, it's all over.

That reminds me of this? Have you watched this before?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlCNMcE4QPY

EazyDuz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:47 - 22 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do miss having a 125cc. WOT everywhere and still returns over 90mpg. Light as a feather and very easy to maintain

jeffyjeff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:29 - 22 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

NakedBiker wrote:
That reminds me of this? Have you watched this before?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlCNMcE4QPY

Oh that's cool! never saw that before. Makes me want to fit a 20 tooth front sprocket to my YBR and try for 120 as well! The stock ChengShit tires should be able to handle 120, they're hard as wood!

The Original Muzza
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:41 - 22 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like my new Husky 401 Svartpilen. Slow, but quick enough. Small, but big enough. And very, very light.
I went down to an MSX125 for 3 years and it never got used. Before that I had a TT600 that got used, but never to its full potential, and some older, shitter mid-size bikes.
I find the Husky the perfect balance for me, not for everyone of course.
If I had the money I'd quite like a desert sled though.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:45 - 22 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

EazyDuz wrote:
WOT everywhere

Nope, I don't get it Confused

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:20 - 22 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
EazyDuz wrote:
WOT everywhere

Nope, I don't get it Confused

Wide Open Throttle.
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:27 - 22 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I know what it stands for Rolling Eyes

But I don't get what's so great about it, all the time, on a small bike. On a 125, you do it cos it's the only way you ever get anywhere Laughing

Val
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:43 - 22 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can try Honda CBR500R.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:18 - 22 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

EazyDuz wrote:
I do miss having a 125cc. WOT everywhere and still returns over 90mpg.

What am I doing wrong, as most have the 125's I've owned have never done over half that mpg figure at best?

jeffyjeff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:50 - 22 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
What am I doing wrong, as most have the 125's I've owned have never done over half that mpg figure at best?

What!?? EasyDuz's mpg claim pretty much aligns with my experience. In fact, my YBR125 has never done less than 100mpg. I'm not alone, check out this link for the YBR. https://www.fuelly.com/motorcycle/yamaha/ybr_125 Maybe you just owned a lemon (or a Y2K YBR) Wink
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 311 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3