Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

2t autolube feed? Solved...I think

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

stirlinggaz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:11 - 15 May 2020    Post subject: 2t autolube feed? Solved...I think Reply with quote

Hi all,
Technical question :
Most of my other 2 stroke bikes have been either pre-mix or the autolube pump goes to the carb.
On my Yamaha the pump connects to the manifold.
What's the difference?
Reason for question? I'm fitting a bigger carb (Some versions of this engine/bike come with dellorto 32mm carb as standard but mine has the mikuni 28mm)
I got the carb used, complete with manifold & yeis bottle but there is no nipple for the 2t feed.
I'm not sure if the dellorto vhsb32 has a 2t nipple on it like my other dellorto carbs.. & i dont have access to it just now.

worst case scenario: carb does not have the 2t input.
Is it just a case of drilling a hole on top of manifold & "glueing" in the 2t feed from pump?
I'd rather not blank off the 2t pump & go premix.

cheers,
GAZ
I've been told by Belgrada owners the vhsa32 has an oil input.
So looks like I'm good to go 😉

Last edited by stirlinggaz on 20:36 - 16 May 2020; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:40 - 15 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whereas the idea with the petrol is to atomise it down to the smallest particle to make it easier to burn what you want with the oil is just to splat it onto the surface of the barrel and hope enough of it hangs around till the next dollop (with regards to autolube) so where the oil enters the system is not that important. (As long as it's past the throttle slide.)

The neat solution would be to look around for a replacement manifold that has the oil inlet. The Dellorto looks to be quite a compact carb and none of the ones Google Images throws up show a hint of an oil port.

If you have to bodge something up I'd suggest getting some itty-bitty brass pipe. I'm assuming it's a rubber intake manifold. If you can make a clean hole a tad smaller than the pipe it'll problem just stick there by friction alone. Worst ways, break out the JB Weld Smile

jeffyjeff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:40 - 15 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Gaz.
Dude, I think you are taking a big risk if you decide to modify your intake manifold for the autolube pump. I suggest you find out how the Yamahas with the 32mm dellorto connect to the autolube pump and construct your system accordingly.

If you modify as you have described, you cannot be sure that the oil is metered correctly.

Be aware that you might not realize the power increase that you envision just by installing a larger carburetor. If your exhaust system is original, tuned for the flow from the 28mm mikuni, you may experience an imbalance that could negate some of the potential of the larger carburetor. Just my thoughts...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:54 - 15 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a good shout, there was a 28mm carb on my DT (stock is 24mm) and I wondered this but it also has a thinner than stock shim on the metering pump so (I hope) the previous owner accounted for such.

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 00:04 - 16 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Tzr250 has the oil port on the carb rubber. Toying with converting my rd350 to the same, mainly in my case as one less thing to faff with when I take the carbs off.

Dell’Orto carbs often gave oil connection points.

All the best

Katy

stirlinggaz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:12 - 16 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeffyjeff wrote:
Hi Gaz

Be aware that you might not realize the power increase that you envision just by installing a larger carburetor. If your exhaust system is original, tuned for the flow from the 28mm mikuni, you may experience an imbalance that could negate some of the potential of the larger carburetor. Just my thoughts...

Hi,
I'm not too bothered about power increase, as it's enough at 30bhp 😁
BUT the carb does help it a bit when combined with "sports" exhaust (which I have) & functioning ypvs (which I also have)
The bigger carb is actually standard equipment on some other bikes with the same engine (& also different version of SAME bike) which are full power from new, whereas uk bikes are 14bhp.
So it's a fairly common mod, just like the aprilia rs125, which also come with 28mm carb but earlier versions had 34mm, so it's not like I'm going into the unknown.
Main reasons I'm swapping carbs is just because I prefer the dellorto over the mikuni & plain old curiosity.
Im also curious about the 2 different ways of connecting the autolube, from pump to carb or pump to manifold?

The manifold is rubber, so if there's not a 2t inlet nipple on the new carb, I'm sure I could drill a hole & take the inlet nipple from the old manifold & glue it in with some sort of sealant.
I'll try find someone with a tdr or tzr 125 Belgrada which it came off as i really don't fancy going premix.....

cheers,
GAZ

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 05:56 - 16 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Over analysing things. It really doesn’t matter if the oil inlet is on the carb body or the intake rubber as the intake charge will atomise it and pull it into the cylinder regardless.

I wouldn’t poopoo premix, now I’ve tried it I wouldn’t go back to automatic oiling. Engine much more responsive and spins up a lot faster without the pump and it’s train of drive gears, less to go wrong / service, less weight and less wear.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:37 - 16 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Worth noting though that an oil pump varies the ratio based on throttle and engine speed. Less oil used at idle, more used under high load, therefore kinder to the environment....*

*Obviously we're all very, very concerned about such matters when you get 2 smoking. Straight face now, no tittering at the back!

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 11:39 - 16 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the rd I intend to buy some reed block spacers, and drill those to mount the oil feeds, rather than trying to drill the actual intake rubbers

All the best

Katy

stirlinggaz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:20 - 16 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kickstart wrote:
With the rd I intend to buy some reed block spacers, and drill those to mount the oil feeds, rather than trying to drill the actual intake rubbers

All the best

Katy

Hi Katy,
Is that a deliberate attempt to alter the powerband or just for ease of fitting?
I have a manifold for my vhsa32 & I don't think it would be difficult to drill but don't want to butcher the old manifold just to get the wee port out.

cheers,
GAZ

stirlinggaz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:27 - 16 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forced wrote:

I wouldn’t poopoo premix, now I’ve tried it I wouldn’t go back to automatic oiling. Engine much more responsive and spins up a lot faster without the pump and it’s train of drive gears, less to go wrong / service, less weight and less wear.

Hi,
I remember premix from years ago & don't miss it.
Having to measure oil every time you refuel, then there's the rejetting, nah sod that, too much of a step backwards imho.
Dunno about more responsive though & pumps only driven by a plastic gear cog iirc.
Never had a oil pump fail in over 30yrs, & less seizures so they must work.
Once there set up & adjusted as per manual, they're "fit & forget"

cheers,
GAZ

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:54 - 17 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
Worth noting though that an oil pump varies the ratio based on throttle and engine speed. Less oil used at idle, more used under high load, therefore kinder to the environment....*
[size=7]*Obviously we're all very, very concerned about such matters when you get 2 smoking. Straight face now, no tittering at the back![/sizere..

..think about that some more Wink

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:56 - 17 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

For my Yamaha the specs say it varies from 160:1 to something like 16:1. Only burning as much oil as you need = less asthmatic kittens killed!

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 13:18 - 17 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

stirlinggaz wrote:

Hi Katy,
Is that a deliberate attempt to alter the powerband or just for ease of fitting?
I have a manifold for my vhsa32 & I don't think it would be difficult to drill but don't want to butcher the old manifold just to get the wee port out.

cheers,
GAZ

Honestly, for ease of fitting. Although pushing the power band up a touch is a bonus.

I also don’t want to attack a half decent manifold. But in your case might be worth checking models of tzr250 to see if one matches your engine but with an oil intake.

I took a pump apart recently for a look. Quite simple things, and basically a variable stroke pump, with stroke controlled by the throttle, while the speed it pumps controlled by the engine revs. On the Aprilia, the pump dies one cycle every 72 crank revolutions

All the best

Katy

stirlinggaz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:48 - 18 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

oops, double post

Last edited by stirlinggaz on 00:55 - 18 May 2020; edited 1 time in total

stirlinggaz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:55 - 18 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all,
Sorted. I think.
Brung the carb in from shed & was able to have a good look at it.
& yup, just like other dellorto carbs it has a wee brass nipple for the 2t oil 😁

So i was worried for nothing, still curious why there's 2 different places to connect the pump though, as mikuni carb doesnt have the input but connects at the manifold instead.
When I bought the dellorto it came with a manifold (which does fit the bike) which is stamped with 3BN which I think correlates with a DT125 whereas my original manifold is stamped 4FU which matches with everything else on the bike.

cheers,
GAZ

stirlinggaz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:03 - 18 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeffyjeff wrote:

Hi,
I realise that it isnt just a case of bolting on a bigger carb & viola more power but I also have a full power giannelli exhaust & will likely have to modify the airbox slightly.
These mods have been done before (successfully) & other bikes with same engine come fitted with the bigger carb, so it must make a difference....

cheers,
GAZ

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:30 - 18 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

stirlinggaz wrote:

Hi,
I remember premix from years ago & don't miss it.
Having to measure oil every time you refuel, then there's the rejetting, nah sod that, too much of a step backwards imho.
Dunno about more responsive though & pumps only driven by a plastic gear cog iirc.
Never had a oil pump fail in over 30yrs, & less seizures so they must work.
Once there set up & adjusted as per manual, they're "fit & forget"

cheers,
GAZ

Think about it, you have a plastic cog, which drives a shaft which passes through a seal, then there's a worm on the end of that shaft which drives a pump, which is full of drag to turn. If you are premixing properly you'll get less wear, more power and less chance of a life threatening engine failure.

This was one head on my YR5 shortly after spending a mile and a half flat on the limiter.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49908286908_f735f5fdff_h.jpg

See how wet it is, and therefore safe? Most fast two strokes, road or race don't run an oil pump for two good reasons, Weight / drag and reliability / higher engine wear.

stirlinggaz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:37 - 18 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forced wrote:

Think about it, you have a plastic cog, which drives a shaft which passes through a seal, then there's a worm on the end of that shaft which drives a pump, which is full of drag to turn. If you are premixing properly you'll get less wear, more power and less chance of a life threatening engine failure.

This was one head on my YR5 shortly after spending a mile and a half flat on the limiter.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49908286908_f735f5fdff_h.jpg

See how wet it is, and therefore safe? Most fast two strokes, road or race don't run an oil pump for two good reasons, Weight / drag and reliability / higher engine wear.

Hi,
I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree then.
Maybe, just maybe id go premix if I was trying an unknown mod & wanted to play safe with a high revving sports bike.
But this is a tdr125 which isn't exactly built for speed & max power is at around 10500rpm.
I still think premix is a backwards step.
I might change my mind if I ever have a 2t pump fail causing catastrophic damage but in over 30yrs it ain't happened yet, so I'll stick with what Yamaha recommend.

cheers,
GAZ
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 342 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1