Cheap tyres.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 00:39 - 17 May 2020    Post subject: Cheap tyres. Reply with quote

Get them while they're available?

I just noticed I can get a Michelin road 5GT rear for my VFR for £135.

Everywhere seems to be discounting their tyre stock but I also know the pirelli factory locally to me has been having shutdowns. I expect there will be a sudden increase in price and shortage of stock further down the line.

Maybe worth tucking a couple away somewhere warm, dark and dry for next year?

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:48 - 17 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny, I've just been scouring Ebay for tyres, and cheap tyres are really cheap (and probably nasty) these days. Not to rain on anyone's parade or kick their online business in the goolies, but there are certain brands I wouldn't touch with a bargepole, yet there are lots of sellers selling them, which means people must be buying them. If I had a trails bike, I wouldn't hesitate to buy cheap TT tyres for it. For a road bike, decent brands and a recent month/date of manufacture are a must. I think if these are going to become scarce, then odd-sized tyres (for vintage bikes) are bound to be the first lines to be discontinued. That's it - buying now.

kramdra
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:49 - 17 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldnt call 135 cheap. Wait for ebay 20% off, there is usually a bike shop or two.

t121anf
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:14 - 17 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don’t know the normal price but going by the rrp and selling price these seem cheap.

https://www.mandp.co.uk/products/120-70-zr17-bt-015-r-m-180-55-zr17-bridgestone-battlax-bt015-tyre-pair-tp-716029-716030

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 13:47 - 17 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

kramdra wrote:
I wouldnt call 135 cheap. Wait for ebay 20% off, there is usually a bike shop or two.

It is for a road 5.

kramdra
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:18 - 17 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assume 180 55 17. Current prices for the road 5 GT with 20% discount is 120-130. Ebay were doing the discount atleast once a month., There was one a couple weeks ago.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:03 - 18 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

My bikes tyres are fine although I might do as Stinkwheel suggests and buy a rear for later use as my bike is heavy on them.

Does anyone know if this is the same in car tyres? Wifies Megane has a slow puncture which I could probably plug but the tread is getting low anyway and the drive tyres on the Jag are not long for this world either.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:52 - 18 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought some b-stone t30s in the first week of March.

Neutral

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:34 - 18 May 2020    Post subject: Re: Cheap tyres. Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Get them while they're available?

I just noticed I can get a Michelin road 5GT rear for my VFR for £135.

Everywhere seems to be discounting their tyre stock but I also know the pirelli factory locally to me has been having shutdowns. I expect there will be a sudden increase in price and shortage of stock further down the line.

Maybe worth tucking a couple away somewhere warm, dark and dry for next year?

At the rate we are hurtling into the abyss, there may not be a Next Year. 😮

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 13:49 - 18 May 2020    Post subject: Re: Cheap tyres. Reply with quote

MCN wrote:

Well time to get some oversize knobblies ready for the apocalypse then.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 04:51 - 22 May 2020    Post subject: Re: Cheap tyres. Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
MCN wrote:

Well time to get some oversize knobblies ready for the apocalypse then.

For a 1300GT two-up cross-country? 🤔

***MCN Looks through Blackcircles website.***

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 08:46 - 22 May 2020    Post subject: Re: Cheap tyres. Reply with quote

MCN wrote:

For a 1300GT two-up cross-country? 🤔

***MCN Looks through Blackcircles website.***

Cannae be heavier or more unweildy offroad than a GS...

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:06 - 22 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

/\ Flame.
Shocked

Very Happy
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 338 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1