Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Dead graphics card

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone
View previous topic : View next topic  

andym
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:46 - 18 May 2020    Post subject: Dead graphics card Reply with quote

Without boring people with all the details, I sold my GTX 1060 on gumtree and was paid through PayPal, 26 days later the buyer claimed the card never worked, (even though I stripped, cleaned, applied new thermal paste and tested it), and has just got his money back because he "returned the card".

OK, so he did return a Zotac GTX 1060, just not the one I sent him.

I've never bothered much with fault finding on circuit boards, but I want to try repairing this one, (so I'm not £120 AND a graphics card down), so can anyone shed some light on where to start, or recommend someone/somewhere that can have a look at it fairly cheap?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

King29
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:10 - 18 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have the guys name and address, send him a letter saying you'll put him in the county court to regain your losses. If you want to have a stab at repairing it, try this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hP2_w5Mebe8

Alternatively you could check the serial number on Zotac card to see if there is any warranty left on it on Zotac's website.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 11:00 - 18 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

King29 wrote:
Alternatively you could check the serial number on Zotac card to see if there is any warranty left on it on Zotac's website.

Its a 1060.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

blurredman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:15 - 18 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freaking Paypal.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:44 - 18 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ouch! How low a blow Sad

Now if it was me I'd have taken some photos to put on the listing, especially for something second hand. Would not the serial number be visible on one of these photos (that I hope) you have taken?

If so then first contact PayPal to explain the situation. The automated refund systems are doing the job that fits 99.9% of the time so no point getting angry at that. Go down the CC route if PayPal can't wrap their head around the concept of fraud.

If you don't have any photos...

Does it have multiple outputs? Maybe it's only one of the HDMIs and not the DisplayPort (or whatever selection of sockets there are present.)

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:25 - 18 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

King29 wrote:
If you have the guys name and address, send him a letter saying you'll put him in the county court to regain your losses. If you want to have a stab at repairing it, try this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hP2_w5Mebe8

This, he's obviously trying it on. Broke his own card, bought the same model online, and sent the faulty one back.

Go to paypal and explain the situation with photos etc.

andym
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:05 - 18 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

@King29 - I tried baking it, that made no difference.
Also definitely no warranty left, that's why I put the effort in to cleaning it and applying new thermal paste etc.

@Easy-X - I took photos, unfortunately the one that would have contained the serial number wasn't clear or close enough and I don't sell many things online, so I didn't even think of making sure the serial numbers were clear.
Unfortunately I think the court would come to the same conclusion as PayPal.
It's DEFINITELY NOT just an output thing, the card is dead.

@xX-Alex-Xx - As Easy-X has said, the automated refund systems are doing the job 99.9% of the time, because this is a less waffly version of what I sent to paypal when I first read the dispute (the buyer didn't even contact me to say the card was faulty, just went straight to paypal for a refund):
Quote:
It doesn't matter that it took him 26 days to test the card in 3 different systems, but he managed to sell 2 of those systems in that time.

Or that he reduced the refund amount that he wanted, (paid £120, asked for £120 then reduced it to £100 a few days later).

Or that the brand new thermal paste I had applied only a month ago was as easy to remove as dried weetabix.

Or that he couldn't provide any spec, pictures, videos or information about any of his systems.

Or that he couldn't answer any basic questions about what happened with the card.

Or that he was given several options to resolve this, including me travelling to Braintree to help.

He raised a dispute, told PayPal "gib munny bcak" and they just said "OKAY Mr Nye, here you go"

King29
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:48 - 18 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Order pizza to his address and taxi's and anything else. Post anonymous letters to his neighbours and local shop (if he has one) saying he is a predatory paedophile and if you have kids keep them well away. Find him on Facebook and if he has a workplace listed; have fun with that as well.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:34 - 18 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anything of the serial number at all? Even if it's blurry, if it's enough to show it's a different number to what you have now that'd be enough. Like if you couldn't tell a "K" from an "X" on a distant numberplate you could still say it wasn't "O"

<addendum> also, dead as in not detected (no drivers load) or dead as in no output? Does the fan even go round?

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 20:15 - 18 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

King29 wrote:
Order pizza to his address and taxi's and anything else. Post anonymous letters to his neighbours and local shop (if he has one) saying he is a predatory paedophile and if you have kids keep them well away. Find him on Facebook and if he has a workplace listed; have fun with that as well.

Yes.. great way to get yourself a criminal record. Well done.

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:43 - 18 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just call his mum, gain her trust, feck her doggy style, make pictures, send them to the scamer with a letter saying ''I'm your new daddy, now. Give me my money, you little cxnt''. Thinking

Hetzer
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:43 - 20 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would travel the length of the country to deal with sub-human filth like that.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 334 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1