Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Suzuki Gn125 SLide carb install ?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

MrGMoto
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 22:47 - 18 May 2020    Post subject: Suzuki Gn125 SLide carb install ? Reply with quote

Hey my dudes.. I haven't been on here for a while but I thought I would rejoin the joys of the BikeChatForums Very Happy

Okay here is my question...welll sort of a question as well as me asking for some friendly advice.

My friend used to own a Suzuki GN125, the original carb that came with it was pretty shot, he brought a Chinese one off ebay, only to learn that they cap off the mixture screw so you can't tamper with fuelling for emissions purposes.

I then came up with the idea if fitting a old 28mm slide carb that came off one of my Yamaha YBRs, modified the cable to fit and it worked. He said it had more power etc. I never got to ride it with that carb on it.

I was just wondering if anyone knew what the difference would be between a CV Carb vs a Slide carb on a gn and what differences I would notice would be.

My carb is currently the CV style but the diagram has wear when the rubber has made little pin holes on the creases, as a temp fix I have put some silicone sealant over the pin holes and have improved the bikes running state but not 100% as I can not find the correct one

Any help would be great

Very Happy

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:03 - 19 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

CV carb the airflow and needle control are separate, the one follows the other obviously but there is a lag - the fuel flow is reactionary. Looking at the extremes a scooter wants a CV carb as you tend to go max throttle all the time with a CVT.

Slide carb the airflow and needle control are linked. More airflow and fuel simultaneously dumped down the throat of a greedy engine. More responsive but less efficient. But you can't go max throttle straight from the get go.

Horses for courses then, efficiency and convenience vs responsiveness.

jeffyjeff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:08 - 20 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back in the day, I had a 1973 Honda CB450. Knowing no better, I thought I would get more power from increasing the carb size. I swapped out the Kehin CV carburetors for Mikuni slide carburetors. Don't remember the precise throat diameter, but the Mikuni's were 4mm over the stock Kehins (maybe like 28mm > 32mm).

The bike did not have noticeably more power, and when I whacked the throttle wide open on the Mikuni's, the slide reacted so quickly that velocity of air flow through the venturi decreased. The bike would stall out. I could counter that effect by modulating my right hand. Ultimately, I reinstalled the stock carburetors, sold the bike, and got a bigger one.

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 16:08 - 21 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should be able to get a new diaphragm from NRP carbs.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 311 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1