Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

A long and wideing load, to my door, in my van?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF...
View previous topic : View next topic  

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:25 - 30 Jul 2020    Post subject: A long and wideing load, to my door, in my van? Reply with quote

My lovely van is 4,522 long and 1,844 wide (all measurements mm), so the manual tells me. So:

Can I legally carry a load (on the roof rack) that's 4,800 long and 2,400 wide?

The roof rack itself is smaller - 2,130 long, 1,120 wide.

The load would hang over each side *of the van* by 278, and off the back by 1,000. It would overhand the roof rack a bit more, of course.

I found this to look at:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/overhanging-loads-on-vehicles/overhanging-loads

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 18:29 - 30 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Full sheet of ply?

Many vans are actually designed to fit one in corner to corner. My SWB vito even had a cutaway in the middle of the door you could JUST slide a full size sheet in through and with it jammed right up into the opposite corner, you could shut the door.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:45 - 30 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Full sheet of ply?

No, they're normally 2400 x 1220, this is four times the area. Reinforcing material. It won't go inside any van I know of!

Kyle.
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 19:07 - 30 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the 1844mm measurement in the manual is not including the mirrors you’d be legal. Can’t go over 300mm off the side of the body, rack size doesn’t matter as long as its secured safely.. No matter what the overhang at the back hang a hivis vest or similar from both edges, somebody might drive into it if you don’t. Mind the overhang at the front when going round bends (might need to straddle lanes to avoid lamposts, traffic lights etc) and with wind and when pulling up behind traffic. Check your straps, rope or whatever frequently.

Edit: what is reinforcing material. Weight limit of 3.5 tonne might ne an issue

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:13 - 30 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

KRM wrote:
If the 1844mm measurement in the manual is not including the mirrors you’d be legal. Can’t go over 300mm off the side of the body, rack size doesn’t matter as long as its secured safely.. No matter what the overhang at the back hang a hivis vest or similar from both edges, somebody might drive into it if you don’t. Mind the overhang at the front when going round bends (might need to straddle lanes to avoid lamposts, traffic lights etc) and with wind and when pulling up behind traffic. Check your straps, rope or whatever frequently.

Edit: what is reinforcing material. Weight limit of 3.5 tonne might ne an issue

Hm, steel A142 I seem think it's about 30 to the tonne, so pretty lightweight. Why am I saying that, I can look it up! 39 sheets to the tonne, so say 26kg each, ~75kg all up.

I've been thinking, I could snip 200mm off one edge and still have enough area, not sure what they'd think about me doing that in their yard though!

I've had a 5.5m sea kayak on, so I'm aware of rreversing issues... Smile

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 21:53 - 30 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will the stockholders not drop it off for you?

Cross their palm with beer.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:21 - 30 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Will the stockholders not drop it off for you?

Cross their palm with beer.

!!!!

I am sure they would drop a delivery off, but there's a most unfortunate indeterminate lag time locally, and delivery cost from 20 miles away about is over 100% of the cost of the steel. Ugh! I will do the 2 hours work plus the fuel for a ton, guv., honest.

Smile

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:53 - 31 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got it, strapped it on well, saw no policemen (but it should have been OK anyway...).

I had to buy a 5.4m of 47 x 150 sawn treated also, to support the mesh, which was far more flexible than I'd thought it would be, and drooped down onto the bonnet. I can return an inferior length of the same stuff I got a couple of days ago, so that's OK.

It's not easy to handle or carry fabric mesh, the easiest way if you are on your own is to get it upright on one long edge, grip it high up in the middle, each hand a couple of wires out from either side of the central wire and walk along like a weightlifter at full lift. Be very careful putting it down, you don't want to pierce your foot.

yen_powell
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:43 - 31 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Couldn't you have cut it in half and used a couple of steel bars to wire it back together before pouring concrete on it, or get a slightly longer piece of mesh so the two halves could overlap by the right amount?

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:03 - 31 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

yen_powell wrote:
Couldn't you have cut it in half and used a couple of steel bars to wire it back together before pouring concrete on it, or get a slightly longer piece of mesh so the two halves could overlap by the right amount?

I could have cut it, yes, but I did not want to. The long edges will indeed overlap slightly.

I don't know anywhere I could get bigger sheets, 4800 x 2400 is standard, "merchant" sheets are smaller.

There's money, too. 3 standard sheets were £26.99 each, merchant size 3600 x 2000 £30.79, mini 2.42m x 1.22m £20.34.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 270 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1