Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Cheap vs expensive motorcycle helmets?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

CorriganJ
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 12:07 - 19 May 2020    Post subject: Cheap vs expensive motorcycle helmets? Reply with quote

Been riding in Madrid traffic at 30mph with a full face helmet lately. Its not been fun and temperatures are going to hit 40 degrees this summer.

I'm considering getting a cheap second helmet with better ventilation. Still a full face one with a chin bar (I like my jaw), but with a wider face hole and maybe without a visor - I have't put my visor down once while commuting because its just too hot, and I never get above 30mph - so why bother having it at all? I have a second helmet that does have a visor so I would still have that option for longer, faster rides.

I'm looking at this one because its cheap and visorless and looks well ventilated for summer:
https://www.motoblouz.es/casco-dexter-marty-titan-grey-mat-151776-v.html

I'm just concerned about the quality. But, I don´t have €700 for a Shoei or Arai, and I guess all helmets have to meet European safety standards (ECE 22.05 in this case), so it should be fine, right? Or should I take out a bank loan for an Arai lol?

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:13 - 19 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's twice the price I'd expect a cheap one to be!

If you're doing 30 or 40 (MPH!) everywhere, I can't see anything wrong with open-face helmets. In city traffic, they might even be safet (better visibility/hearing).

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:19 - 19 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dirtbike helmets? Designed for more airflow but intended for slower speeds.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 12:21 - 19 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about a moto-cross style helmet. Often very ventilated because you get hot and sweaty. Designed for goggles. The peak may come in handy too.

Bru
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 12:32 - 19 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem with an open-face helmet is its inability to protect your good looks when performing an unintended face-plant. Avoid.

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:46 - 19 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd never wear an open face helmet having seen the results of an unfortunate spill first hand. Not worth the risk IMO. There are options with much better ventilation but still full face.

As for cheap Vs expensive - I have a Nolan that cost £130. I also have a £500 Shoei. Whilst the materials, and I guess comfort, of the Shoei are a little better and higher end feeling (visor hinge, etc.) I actually prefer the Nolan. It vents better, I get less condensation inside, my glasses steam up less and it doesn't let water into the inside of the visor in heavy rain which the Shoei does. It's also higher rated on the Sharp tests.

So no, I dont think it's necessary to spend a bomb.

CorriganJ
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 13:09 - 19 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bru wrote:
The problem with an open-face helmet is its inability to protect your good looks when performing an unintended face-plant. Avoid.

kgm wrote:
I'd never wear an open face helmet having seen the results of an unfortunate spill first hand. Not worth the risk IMO. There are options with much better ventilation but still full face.

I totally understand that and I like my face - but, I'm riding with the visor open anyway, so does it make any difference? I would never wear a half helmet without chin protection. But what is the difference between an open-face helmet with a chin bar, and a visor helmet with the visor open?

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 13:15 - 19 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can do 30mph on a pushbike wearing shorts and t-shirt and no lid at all and am much more likely to fall off doing that speed.

martin734
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 13:17 - 19 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

CorriganJ wrote:
Bru wrote:

kgm wrote:

I totally understand that and I like my face - but, I'm riding with the visor open anyway, so does it make any difference? I would never wear a half helmet without chin protection. But what is the difference between an open-face helmet with a chin bar, and a visor helmet with the visor open?

The visor is to keep the rain and other crap out of your eyes, it offers little or no protection in a crash as they almost always flip up or come off, whereas the chin bar will stop your face hitting the road if you crash.

CorriganJ
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 13:28 - 19 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

martin734 wrote:

The visor is to keep the rain and other crap out of your eyes, it offers little or no protection in a crash as they almost always flip up or come off, whereas the chin bar will stop your face hitting the road if you crash.

Not a lot of rain in Madrid! I do get dust in my eyes occasionally but I will get some glasses I think to prevent that

CorriganJ
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 13:47 - 19 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
I can do 30mph on a pushbike wearing shorts and t-shirt and no lid at all and am much more likely to fall off doing that speed.

Also that. I don't know. Some people are really pushing the ATGATT thing so... I don't know. I feel like this is a sensible compromise to stop me overheating but maybe I shouldn't go near a bike with less than a house deposit around my face

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:58 - 19 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:

You could, but would you? Having cracked two cycle helmets all the way through (once off road hitting a tree and once on road after getting taken out by a car on a roundabout) I'd never ride a pedal cycle without a helmet either. If I'd hadn't been wearing a helmet in either of those crashed I'd have at least a fractured skull instead of a bad headache.

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:09 - 19 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

CorriganJ wrote:

If it has a chin bar it's a full face helmet, whether or not it has a visor is irrelevant, some open face helmets have visors too.

You can get modular helmets with removable chin bars, I don't trust these personally. It's just another mechanism for failure.

droog
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 14:16 - 19 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the past I have taken a look at the Sharp helmet safety rating site to check out a potential lid before purchase - they carry out various laboratory tests to see how safe the helmet is and award it one to five stars based on their findings.

They have a wide selection of makes and models from budget to expensive which might help you to choose your lid.

Some of the results are suprising - with some very cheap lids scoring more safety stars than much more expensive helmets from some very highly regarded manufacturers (although there is some dispute regarding how accurate these ratings are in terms of actual helmet safety)

Here is a link if you are interested:

https://sharp.dft.gov.uk/

Personally I would not ride with an open face lid after sliding down the road face downward at just 30 mph after some tw*t U-turned on me - afterwards my AGV had a 4 inch wide scape from the bottom of the chinbar to the top of the visor - stripping all the paint off back to the white plastic shell - hate to think what state my face would have been in if I was wearing an open face at the time.

CorriganJ
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 14:25 - 19 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

kgm wrote:
CorriganJ wrote:

If it has a chin bar it's a full face helmet, whether or not it has a visor is irrelevant, some open face helmets have visors too.

You can get modular helmets with removable chin bars, I don't trust these personally. It's just another mechanism for failure.

Yeah to me, if the chin bar is designed to move, how can I trust it to... not move? I would rather a full face. I guess I am just worried about the general quality of said helmet, seeing as there is no SHARP rating for that manufacturer. People say it is good build quality, but I've not seen it crash tested. That said, it meets EU standards.

notbike
Formerly known as
notabikeranymore

PostPosted: 15:25 - 19 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

After a certain point the price on a lid doesn't mean jack.

You can get 5 star sharp rated helmets for a hundred quid.

Then again, some of the sharp criteria are bollocks.

My helmet cost me a grand but I didn't buy it because that extra £899 was for safety. I bought it because I liked how it looks.

That makes me a bellend.

Be sensible but only if you want to.

Also white lids make me think you're police and that pisses me off, don't get a white lid.

Get one with a visor unless you like bugs hitting your face. A bee at 30mph still hurts, and what if a pebble hits you in the tooth?

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 17:23 - 19 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

kgm wrote:
stinkwheel wrote:

You could, but would you? Having cracked two cycle helmets all the way through (once off road hitting a tree and once on road after getting taken out by a car on a roundabout) I'd never ride a pedal cycle without a helmet either. If I'd hadn't been wearing a helmet in either of those crashed I'd have at least a fractured skull instead of a bad headache.

Yes I would and sometimes do (takes a steep hill mind). I only wear a helmet when I'm doing technical or fast offroad stuff. Too hot otherwise. It spends most of its time attached to my hydration pack.

I know of someone who sat down after a particularly gnarly MTB ride, took their helmet off, threw themselves back in the grass and fatally cracked their skull open on a rock.

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 10:34 - 21 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Helmets do not exist on a sliding scale of price/vs safety.

There is so much more to it. A BMW might cost twice as much a Dacia doesn't mean it scores more on NCAP but I bet we'd all rather be in the beemer.

Quality of materials, weight, durability, design, support, comfort. I Commute on my bike all year so get a lotr of use out of my helmets. I stick to Arai/Shoei because they tend to last longer 3-5 years compared to the cheaper ones lasting 2 at most. They are a nicer place to be the visors are more scratch resistant and if something brakes I can easily get spares.

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:53 - 21 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris-red wrote:

There is so much more to it. A BMW might cost twice as much a Dacia doesn't mean it scores more on NCAP but I bet we'd all rather be in the beemer.

I take your point, however, I would choose most manufacturers over a beemer anytime, whther that be a bike or a car, baring perhaps the the R18, but, even then, that exhaust looks hideous !!

But, yeah, on the subject of helmets, comfort and fit are more important than cost.

iooi
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:54 - 21 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

19 posts ad NOT one mention of FIT....

Standards are slipping....

I guess we take it that all theses "Won't wear open Face" are all wearing full leather then?

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:19 - 21 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd just wear an open face for slow speed, hot weather, urban commuting.

If they were so dangerous there would be alot more jawless people at bike meets.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:30 - 21 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

wr6133 wrote:
I'd just wear an open face for slow speed, hot weather, urban commuting.

If they were so dangerous there would be alot more jawless people at bike meets.

I've similarly no particular problem with them either, unlike those pudding-basin things, which I don't like. There are advantages to consider as well.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 19:37 - 21 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

People doing trials pretty much exclusively wear open face helmets and the oppertunities for epic face-planting from a height onto highly unforgiving surfaces (or a knobbly front tyre) are legion in that particular branch of motorsport.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:08 - 22 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mesh Jaiket. Look at moto-x gear.
Then you can protect your fizog.

EazyDuz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:53 - 22 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been using Nitro made helmets for a while. Current one is about 4 years old, modular. Very comfortable and reliable, built in sun visor. Lets some noise in but everyone should wear ear plugs anyway. 4 star SHARP IIRC.

A cheaper 'Caberg Duke 2' basically, which everyone seems to love for some reason. Not sure why, I tried one on and it was just like any other modular helmet.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 338 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2