Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

CB400 super four flat tracker/cafe racer exhaust

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

Frostdog
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 02:46 - 20 May 2020    Post subject: CB400 super four flat tracker/cafe racer exhaust Reply with quote

Hi guys, a while since i posted but after a lull of 18 months bikeless (divorce..) im in a position to get back on two wheels and have seen a lovely Honda CB400 super four flat tracker style bike. Everything on it looks ace, the guy has done a great job, put a fresh mot on it, i will try and attach a pic, only thing needing replaced (doesn't need but i want that grunt) is the exhaust, i want a decent aftermarket can in keeping with the cafe racer/flat tracker style. Does anyone know a brand which would suit? Its a 93 jap import and i cant seem to find any that are recommended specifically or am i being daft and there are lots suitable. I really like the arrow and akropovic cans. Cheers any advice welcomed, the seller has recommended a reverse cone megaphone, they all seem to be generic brands on ebay and my garage said go for a brand, which I would prefer anyways tbh

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 09:00 - 20 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't that a one piece pipe that will need cutting to fit a slip on end can?

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:09 - 20 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMO, old style exhausts on Liquid Cooled IL4's look silly but hey ho it's your canvas.

If you really want one, then those cheap eBay jobs usually have feck all in them to damp down the noise. So expect seriously loud, I put a set of cheapo slashcuts on a 250 twin and it was noisy enough my Mrs could hear me coming home as I entered the opposite end of our town. At the time I thought it was pretty cool, now I think I just pissed off alot people and antagonised my tinnitus. You'll need to reject the carbs after fitting. Build quality on the ones I had was really good, they were cheap because they were basically just a metal pipe with the end slashed and then chromed.

*edit* ... have you bought it yet? Is that an eBay front m/c?

Frostdog
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 13:20 - 20 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

sickpup wrote:
Isn't that a one piece pipe that will need cutting to fit a slip on end can?

Ahh, excuse my ignorance, he did say that the pipe would need cutting and there would be no guarantee about how loud and no going back on tone etc.

Frostdog
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 13:29 - 20 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im maybe jumping the gun as i pick it up at the weekend, its just he mentioned that he would replace it and i love a good burble but dont want to be tone deaf! Rolling Eyes

I will speak to him in more depth re how loud, i didn't realise it wasnt as straight forward as just buying a can, now makes a bit more sense Razz Sorry, ebay front m/c?

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 14:26 - 20 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I liked the stock sound on the 400 Super Four, my brother in law added a carbon can co one to his and it didn't sounds bad, but I missed the noise. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:13 - 20 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frostdog wrote:
Sorry, ebay front m/c?

The front brake master cylinder (m/c) is non standard. Unless it's got Brembo (or similar) written on it, I'd consider it eBay tat that is going to fail on you.

Headlight looks like an eBay special. Check the beam pattern.

Is that a big dent to the front of the tank or lighting and my shit eyes?

Rear shocks..... I'm guessing not Ohlins... what are they, any good or cheap eBay crap?

Mirrors will be as useful as reverse lights on a missile.

What are the gaitors hiding?

Butchered mudguard, hope you like cleaning extra shit off the headers, rad, etc.

Proper seat recovered or universal nafe racer seat? If it's universal what butchery has happened to fit it? Also is it even nice to sit on?

I don't think any of it's deal breaking, you can replace any shit bits easily. It actually looks half decent the guy hasn't gone too OTT with the bolt on crap. If it was me though I'd want that to cost comparatively peanuts compared to a stock one.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:32 - 20 May 2020    Post subject: Re: CB400 super four flat tracker/cafe racer exhaust Reply with quote

Frostdog wrote:
Hi guys, a while since i posted but after a lull of 18 months bikeless (divorce..) im in a position to get back on two wheels and have seen a lovely Honda CB400 super four flat tracker style bike.

Decided to fish in another pond eh? Can't say I blame you.

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

Frostdog
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 18:35 - 20 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh i see, hes only asking 1500 its got 30k and new tyres, pics looks good tho is a drive away, im thinkin it will do the job looks in better nick than a lot I've seen round here but yeah admittedly im a noob and not quite sure exactly what im looking at. My car was in a prang and written off, albeit its nkws worth 3 times what i paid so ive some extra pennies for a bike. As for fishing, always although this divorce malarkey is getting expensive, think ill leave the third time lucky bit Laughing
Thanks guys

Frostdog
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 18:39 - 20 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:
I liked the stock sound on the 400 Super Four, my brother in law added a carbon can co one to his and it didn't sounds bad, but I missed the noise. Laughing

Cheers paddy, suppose i better ride the damn thing first amd see!! Mr. Green

weasley
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:54 - 20 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite like that. The Castrol logo is all wrong though - there was never a logo like that. Probably not show-stopping.

Frostdog
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 22:15 - 20 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

weasley wrote:
Quite like that. The Castrol logo is all wrong though - there was never a logo like that. Probably not show-stopping.

Haha is it not? Ach well, no biggie Wink
Yeah i know its been done without using expensive parts, i think for a wee reintroduction to the road will be good fun and yrah its no ducati scrambler but for the price i think its quite cool Razz

Tl:dr.... Could be made of cheese Laughing

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 22:47 - 20 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surprisingly, the MOT history isn't horrific and other than a small blip in 2016 it appears to have been mostly looked after.

https://i.imgur.com/QZIQJj3.png

Frostdog
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 23:10 - 20 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
Surprisingly, the MOT history isn't horrific and other than a small blip in 2016 it appears to have been mostly looked after.

https://i.imgur.com/QZIQJj3.png

Cheers Ste, forgot about that! Apparently it was sold in 2017 and the buyer started to change it, have pics, then the now owner bought it 6 months later and tweaked a few things, mainly new paint job, renthal bars, made a grill for the light etc

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:08 - 21 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

That price doesn't seem too terrible. Quick look on eBay decent stock ones going for 2k+

Frostdog
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 15:57 - 21 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

wr6133 wrote:
That price doesn't seem too terrible. Quick look on eBay decent stock ones going for 2k+

The guy was quick to take ad down and keep for me, he is an enthusiast and doesn't seem to be in it for a quick turnaround Thumbs Up
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 340 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1