Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

VFR400 to SV650

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Quickly
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 15:26 - 20 May 2020    Post subject: VFR400 to SV650 Reply with quote

I have had a VFR400 NC24 for ten years. I've not been riding consistently in that time and haven't ridden at all for four years. I had a bad accident on another bike and my riding became much more tense and nervous. I think I'm past that now but don't actually know since I've not ridden for a couple years.

I want something which is fun to ride at weekends, good for commuting around London on, and capable of doing the occasional 400-500 mile trip a few times a year. Also cheap to insure.

The MT-07 appeals to me visually but I'm concerned the low end torque might be too much after a break and trying to stay relaxed on the bike (but I don't actually know). I'm also concerned the poor breaks and soft suspension might give me the willies when I'm out having fun and set back my confidence again, or just provide a less enjoyable experience.

The SV650 seems like a good option. Everything I read says it's fun even for experienced bikers, but it's well planted and easy to ride, which might help with just solidifying my confidence. I am just concerned that I might find it boring after the VFR400 or quickly grow out of it.

Any thoughts?

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:31 - 20 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I learned on a 2017 SV650 so I can tell you what it was like from that point in my riding career . . . low, forgiving, grunty engine and felt reasonably well made. Looks are a bit divisive; it's a naked obviously, but what's on show isn't exactly pretty. Not sure on practicality for big trips though; uncertain about what luggage options you'd have and there's no screen (not that you couldn't fit an aftermarket one).

I enjoyed it though and seriously considered one.

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:10 - 20 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take a bath in stale dogshit, it'll be more fun.

Seriously, i'd get more enjoyment setting fire to the money I could spend on an SV than I would spending it on an SV.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 16:21 - 20 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep the vfr.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:28 - 20 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

The baby viffer is fun - if I was a foot shorter, I'd have one. The SV is regarded as a bland A2 friendly bike because, well, it's a bland A2 friendly bike.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:19 - 20 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

The SV's enjoyment factor lasts about 100 miles, and then you realise you need what it's got x10. So a test ride will only mislead you into thinking, "this isn't bad." No, but it just doesn't have enough of "good". If you want to stay relatively cheap, get an FZS600 Fazer, a much better bike, plenty of capability for getting back into it, but not scary.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Quickly
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 17:37 - 20 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of great replies. I'm seeing loads of positive SV650 reviews on YouTube and Reddit, so it's nice to get balance.

For info, the vfr got totalled when it was stolen 4 years ago, so it's not an option now, but it's my reference point for bikes.

I've also used a GPZ500 for a few years and found it comfortable but boring.

H

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:42 - 20 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quickly wrote:
I'm seeing loads of positive SV650 reviews on YouTube and Reddit, so it's nice to get balance.

For the most part, new riders, and it's their first big bike. It'll seem amazing compared to pretty much any 125. If you liked the VFR, you'll find it boring very quickly. Any of the late 90's 600's will slay it in every way possible, and if you like to tinker, they're perfect, cheap, parts readily available.

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:02 - 20 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

The newer pointy style I did have one briefly it seemed uncomfortable on longer runs and you won't be overtaking anything much.
Hard to truly dislike it though.
The exhaust can be made to sound very nice without going mad - does add a bit of character.
There are better bikes for similar money, not least that MT-07
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

kolu
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 18:28 - 20 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just bought SV650S (waiting for delivery) and then I read this... FML
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:38 - 20 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

kolu wrote:
I have just bought SV650S (waiting for delivery) and then I read this... FML

If it makes you feel any better, I did enjoy mine for a short while, when I was just blatting about locally in town, and on local twisty country lanes, after a couple of years break from bikes. But I quickly realised what it lacked as soon as I started to go further afield. But I'd also had many better bikes before it too. I presume since you've bought one, you don't have that much biking experience, so you might like it for a while Smile
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:53 - 20 May 2020    Post subject: Sv650 Reply with quote

Post 2016 sv (naked) isn't a bad bike, more comfortable to ride if you're over 6 foot than an er6/z650. Mt07 and z very similar to ride. Sv need a small wind deflector/screen to make it work for long motorway runs. At the price Suzuki were knocking them out for pre-covid, it's a good bike for the money. Yamaha at the same price would be a good buy too.

If you're buying a naked bike for big miles then you'll get annoyed with no fairing rather quickly.

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:58 - 20 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

They’re more than adequate for most people’s needs; they’re no sports bike but I doubt you’d buy one if you’re after that anyway. They’re solid middleweight nakeds. I actually quite like the vtwin power delivery of them - nice accessible grunt, if not served up in big portions.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:09 - 20 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThunderGuts wrote:
They’re more than adequate for most people’s needs; they’re no sports bike but I doubt you’d buy one if you’re after that anyway. They’re solid middleweight nakeds. I actually quite like the vtwin power delivery of them - nice accessible grunt, if not served up in big portions.

Otoh, you don't buy a VFR400 because 'needs'. And if there's one general category of folk with a large proportion who aren't in it for 'needs', it's bikers.
The SV makes adequate transport, but....but..... Sleeping
We could all just buy NC750s.

And I still don't feel I've owned a proper v twin Laughing

andi
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 20:17 - 20 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

NC24 is a classic. keep it.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 20:43 - 20 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep the VFR for fun, buy an SV for boring commuting?

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:14 - 20 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

andi wrote:
NC24 is a classic. keep it.

Ste wrote:
Keep the VFR for fun, buy an SV for boring commuting?

That'd be a clever trick if he could do it, given:

Quickly wrote:
For info, the vfr got totalled when it was stolen 4 years ago, so it's not an option now

Do try to keep up people Razz

Quickly
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 23:45 - 20 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers all - much appreciated. I think the problem is I want too many different things in a single bike, and I can't afford a Street Triple.

My mindset is now, it's not going to be fun, but I need to get back into riding... what can I get for less than £1k to pootle around on and build up NCB.

Quickly
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 00:09 - 21 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quickly wrote:
Cheers all - much appreciated. I think the problem is I want too many different things in a single bike, and I can't afford a Street Triple.

My mindset is now, it's not going to be fun, but I need to get back into riding... what can I get for less than £1k to pootle around on and build up NCB.

Or... because I am an excitable little git, and just saw one for £6k, how about a 2019 Husqvarna Vitpilen 701? Apparently v light (wet weight of 166kg) which is important for me, one of the skinniest healthy people you'll ever meet.

Fisty
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:34 - 21 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quickly wrote:
what can I get for less than £1k to pootle around on and build up NCB.

I picked this up for £500, spent £150 to get it roadworthy.

https://i.imgur.com/BjxGW42.jpg?1

I'd rather pass a kidney stone than ride an SV.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:51 - 21 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't get the uber-hate for SV's. They are boring comparatively to similar capacity IL4's but no more tedious than any of those shit budget twins. Personally I think the ER6 is worse, bland, sewing machine sounding, gay looking, crap named (they called it "Er" as in "Er this thing is shit"), boring turd. Though that in turn is a high quality, performance machine when sat next to a GS500, so it's all subjective.

If your budget is £1k I really wouldn't focus on any model specifically though. At that price point you can find the occasional gem but there will be so many nails out there if you focus on a single model you are going to limit choice massively.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 10:05 - 21 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went from an NC21 to an SV650S K2. In 2002.

Nowadays? I'd go for an MT07 without a second thought. If you think the brakes or suspension on the MT07 are bad, then the SV is going to be a disappointment to you. Don't get me wrong I think they are great bikes, but I don't think you're really upgrading a lot going from a VFR to an SV. From what I understand an MT07 is a total hoot but also perfect for someone without loads of experience.

If an MT07 is within your budget, then I'd go for it if I were you.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:13 - 21 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

wr6133 wrote:
Don't get the uber-hate for SV's. They are boring comparatively to similar capacity IL4's

This is the problem. A lot of folk think IL4s are bland, and I always thought a v twin ought to have a lot more character. But the SV, for me anyway, just didn't have enough of that v twin thing. It was like just getting a taster of what they should be about. Another 20 or 30 ponies might do the trick. I don't hate them though - well, except for the bench-hard seat! They just didn't have enough to keep me engaged for long. Call me weird, but I want a bit more from a bike, especially if I can only have one. Good beginner bike though, as has been said countless times by many people.

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:04 - 21 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
A lot of folk think IL4s are bland

Whenever I have pushed people on that point it usually becomes apparent it's because they never wind it past 7k RPM Laughing

I think accurate is IL4's are bland if you behave.

cdlxxvi
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 12:17 - 21 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Choir of grumps wrote:

Bland bike bad. All hail the Character!

Having owned a very good and very bland GSXF I think you may enjoy the SV.

A characterful bike commandeers some of your attention for itself. Whilst on it you’re like “wow, such torque, much braking, that suspension, wow”. The bike is the star of the show.

A “bland” bike just carries you about while YOU enjoy the ride. Thanks to it being very neutral and unassuming you can focus on what you value, be it scenery or speed, whatever was the reason for you to ride out in the 1st place.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 340 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2