Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Running without an air filter for short periods of time?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

CorriganJ
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 20:25 - 21 May 2020    Post subject: Running without an air filter for short periods of time? Reply with quote

I have a Hyosung GT125 and I want it a little bit faster. Just a little. I've heard that de-snorkelling these is a valid performance upgrade, but before I take a hacksaw to the air box, I wanted to test and see what increased airflow actually does, and if it helps. If I remove the air filter for say, a 30 minute ride up the highway and back to see what top speed does, will I kill the engine? Thanks

EDIT: would removing the air box entirely de-snorkel it too much and give too much air causing it to run lean and have lower performance?

As I understand it, the air box is snorkeled to limit air intake to bring the engine down to under 15bhp to meet EU regs for bike categories? More air = more power, but, does too much air equally cause it to loose power again?

P.S. I know the response I am going to get is "don't bother upgrading it, its a 125, it is what it is, get a bigger bike". Totally valid, I wish I could do my big bike test, I'm looking into ways to do it abroad but its more complicated not being in the UK. In the meantime, I'm on the highway getting overtaken by lorries, and I want to find another 5mph or so if I can to avoid being squished (here you can ride a 125 on the motorway without a full license and I have to sometimes. But its scary).

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 21:32 - 21 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you remove the air filter the mixture will be far too lean. Whether the efi can cope is a matter of conjecture. I cant see it gaining g any power and its more likely to cause it to jump into limp home or melt the piston.

Snorkels are used under water. Are there really deep puddles.where you live?

Disclaimer: bike manufacturers spend millions developing the intake of bikes. Do you really think that fucking about by removing the air filter is going to get you more power?

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:45 - 21 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to go faster, you need a bigger bike. Even a 10% gain is netting you just over a pony (And you won’t get that with dicking around with the intake). You won’t notice any gains even if you find some.

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:49 - 21 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not the air filter or induction system that's restricting you to 15bhp Laughing

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 21:54 - 21 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this the one in Spain.

My old 2008 one had an SV650 K&N in there with the airbox desnorkled. It was upjetted. There were different jets front and rear, so make sure you don't just fuck it.

But, they aren't fast, see the size and weight...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:59 - 21 May 2020    Post subject: Re: Running without an air filter for short periods of time? Reply with quote

CorriganJ wrote:
If I remove the air filter for say, a 30 minute ride up the highway and back to see what top speed does, will I kill the engine?

I doubt it'll harm the engine BUT avoid dry dusty conditions, damp roads but not wet IIWY, and I would not try to go flat out for 30 mins up the dual carriageway either...

You probably won't get a lot of noticeable difference either way, but I'd guess if you notice anything, it will be reduced power, and as NB says it may run a bit lean.

It's said that most people will not notice a 10% change in engine power. Your bike should make about the maximum for your licence anyway.

As it is right now.... "What'll it do, mister?".

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 22:20 - 21 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually damp conditions are more.likely to clog up an air filter.

I used to have to pull the k&n off my dt if it started raining just to get the bastard started. Giannellli of road only pipe....

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:25 - 21 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:

"He's taking it off". He does not want a load of dust and grit getting in! Smile

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 22:36 - 21 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:
Nobby the Bastard wrote:

"He's taking it off". He does not want a load of dust and grit getting in! Smile

Damp conditions keeps the dirt and grit on the road and not in the air.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:48 - 21 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
Riejufixing wrote:

Damp conditions keeps the dirt and grit on the road and not in the air.

Exactly. A long time ago, air filters weren't even fitted "because the air quality in our country means they're not worthwhile" (A Pitman's manual or similar from the '50s; one could perhaps then also argue "Because the motor won't last long anyway" Smile ).

CorriganJ
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 06:21 - 22 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks chaps - probably going to leave it as it is then. There are "performance" air filters on the market that let in more air (60mm intake hole instead of 40mm) for not a lot, so might give one a try. On the other hand I've been spending money hand over fist on gear so might try not spending anything for a while.

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 10:58 - 22 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are really unlucky, without an air filter 1 stone could wreck your engine. More likely grit will increase wear.

As to the snorkel , a well designed one should increase flow through a hole. Just removing the snorkel and leaving a hole of about the same size would probably flow quite a bit worse, but be noisier.

All the best

Katy

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:37 - 22 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kickstart wrote:
Just removing the snorkel and leaving a hole of about the same size would probably flow quite a bit worse, but be noisier.

At least that bit would help with the psychological "seat of the pants" dyno. The teenager's car with a drilled airbox is at least 5 seconds faster to 60mph, right? Laughing

World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:52 - 22 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried running with a drilled air box lid. The bike sounded great but was gutless, wouldn't pull over about 2,500 rpm and felt horrible. It was a carb bike but the logic is the same I believe, the fuelling was screwed up massively!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:01 - 22 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:

166 Kgs for a 125 Shocked Better off de-larding it like Chapman used to say (kinda).

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:22 - 22 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

More air in, okay... but how's the exhaust? Best think of it as one long pipe or chain:

Snorkel [in your case] > air box > filter > carb/throttlebody > cylinder > exhaust manifold > cat [on newer bikes] > silencer

So you piss about with the first but what about the rest?! And even then, you'd have to shove more fuel in to compensate! EFI? What should be happening is the ECU sees a lean condition from the O2 and throw in more fuel. In practice it'd need to be tuned to adjust the base map.

Setting aside forced induction for the moment there's only so much you can get out of the central restriction: 125cc.

Most 125s are built to ~10kW so the best you can manage is to squeeze a touch more out to reach the legal limit. Even if you ignore the legalities the best you could probably expect is maybe 13kW? As it is the specs on the GT125 say it does 11kW - it's at the limit and really has little scope to practically go much further.

Let's be really, really generous and say you squeeze 10% more out of the engine by optimising everything you can. Great, but that doesn't translate to 10% more speed!

tl;dr 10% of fuck all is pretty much still fuck all

CorriganJ
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 15:11 - 22 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
More air in, okay... but how's the exhaust? Best think of it as one long pipe or chain:

Snorkel [in your case] > air box > filter > carb/throttlebody > cylinder > exhaust manifold > cat [on newer bikes] > silencer

So you piss about with the first but what about the rest?! And even then, you'd have to shove more fuel in to compensate! EFI? What should be happening is the ECU sees a lean condition from the O2 and throw in more fuel. In practice it'd need to be tuned to adjust the base map.

Setting aside forced induction for the moment there's only so much you can get out of the central restriction: 125cc.

Most 125s are built to ~10kW so the best you can manage is to squeeze a touch more out to reach the legal limit. Even if you ignore the legalities the best you could probably expect is maybe 13kW? As it is the specs on the GT125 say it does 11kW - it's at the limit and really has little scope to practically go much further.

Let's be really, really generous and say you squeeze 10% more out of the engine by optimising everything you can. Great, but that doesn't translate to 10% more speed!

tl;dr 10% of fuck all is pretty much still fuck all

I think its a carb bike Smile I haven't actually looked myself but so I am told. But yes.

CorriganJ
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 15:17 - 22 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

A100man wrote:

166 Kgs for a 125 Shocked Better off de-larding it like Chapman used to say (kinda).

Sadly not a lot I can remove I don't think...

I was under the impression that it was one of the fastest 125s (not that that is saying much). Actually, I like the weight. Feels more planted in the corners, feels more stable in winds than my other 125 (Honda dual sport). But yes, it is certainly slow. It has 14bhp, which is 4 more than something like a YBR, which has less weight so its comparative.

In hindsight, I should probably have gone for the Honda Varadero for better luggage options and a bit more speed (plus, I don't like the gearbox on this. Feels just... not as nice as the Honda gearbox, but I wouldn't have known that if I hadn't bought this). But hindsight is a wonderful thing. The Varadero was €500 more, AND it just didn't make me smile. This, for all its flaws, does make me smile... Just wished it didn't also make me brick myself tring to keep up with lorries on the motorway.

My girlfriend wants to go for a picnic in the mountains near Madrid in a few weeks, when the lockdown is lifted. That's going to be an experience, two up on this little thing in the twisties... Luckily shes a lot lighter than me... But beteen us we must be another 130kg to add on top of that 166... Suddenly I have the combined weight of a goldwing, with none of the power. What fun life is.

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:14 - 22 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

A100man wrote:
Paddy. wrote:

Think you'll find that's the dry weight, try 180kg wet Shocked

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:55 - 22 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

CorriganJ wrote:
My girlfriend wants to go for a picnic in the mountains near Madrid in a few weeks, when the lockdown is lifted. That's going to be an experience, two up on this little thing in the twisties... Luckily shes a lot lighter than me... But beteen us we must be another 130kg to add on top of that 166... Suddenly I have the combined weight of a goldwing, with none of the power. What fun life is.

You'll be fine. Take it easy, go gently, you don't need to be flat out, use the gears but don't drop the clutch on steep inclines or scratch through bends, enjoy the sun, the landscape and the pic-nic. It'll be lovely. Enjoy the day! I hope it comes in that timeframe, but it may not.

CorriganJ
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 06:28 - 23 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:

You'll be fine. Take it easy, go gently, you don't need to be flat out, use the gears but don't drop the clutch on steep inclines or scratch through bends, enjoy the sun, the landscape and the pic-nic. It'll be lovely. Enjoy the day! I hope it comes in that timeframe, but it may not.

Absolutely, just going to check the ego at the door and focus on a sensible safe trip for the both of us. I'm not much of an ego rider anyway.

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:07 - 23 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw this link when googling to see wtf a HyosungGT125 was

it might offer some insight.. it might not

https://hyoriders.club/forums/topic/tutorial-hyosung-gv-gt-125-250-how-to-swap-carburetor-main-jets/

steve the grease
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 15:26 - 23 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I knew a girl once who had a Triumph 500 which developed a curious misfire , it was after she had bought a tasselled leather jacket. The tassels were getting sucked into the carb. Whats an air filter?

spottedtango
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 16:25 - 23 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is classic 125 frustration. We’ve all been there. I wouldn’t run the bike without an air filter.

You’re better losing weight from the bike than dicking about with it in that way assuming you want to be able to sell the bike on eventually.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:58 - 23 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

125? Need moar powa? 3 choices:

Nitro

Turbo

Rebarrel
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 338 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2