Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Solar water heating, DIY style.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter
View previous topic : View next topic  

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:47 - 21 May 2020    Post subject: Solar water heating, DIY style. Reply with quote

Has anyone tried this? I am thinking of having a go.

For a bit of fun, I have been experimenting. I dangled a loop of garden hose, full of water siphon-style, out of the window, with both open ends submerged in a bath half-full of water. The intake water is at 23 1/2°C, the outlet temperature 33 1/2°C, not much of a difference but the ends of the hose are noticably different in temperature, and I would not expect a lot from this setup.

Pics are the ends of hosepipe crossing as they come in through the window, and warmer water welling up from the warm end into the cool water. Brighter colours are warmer.

goto10
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:56 - 21 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get/make yourself a glass-fronted wooden box, big coil of black hose inside (with as much surface area exposed to the glass front as possible) - little pump, then feed that closed loop through a coil of hose in a water cylinder (or bath - although won't be as effective without insulation keeping the heat in)
It's basically what they do in hot countries, you'll always see such a contraption on the roof.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:10 - 21 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

goto10 wrote:
Get/make yourself a glass-fronted wooden box...

I have been looking for a while at such things. Have you tried making them? That's what I'm really after, people who have. This is the wrong foium, I kno, but it is interestingw.

goto10
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:19 - 21 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:
goto10 wrote:
Get/make yourself a glass-fronted wooden box...

I have been looking for a while at such things. Have you tried making them? That's what I'm really after, people who have. This is the wrong foium, I kno, but it is interestingw.

No, I've idly thought about doing it before (it'd save a chunk on the gas bill during the summer) - but I've never got past the 'idly thinking about it' stage.
I will watch your progress with interest though (unless you also get stuck at the same stage)

That said, I do need to get a larger hot water cylinder at some point - so when that day comes I might opt for a twin coil cylinder in readiness for a solar option.

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:02 - 21 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are some interesting blogs out there where people have built their own. Top tip I recall was to build several smaller units that link together as they're much easier to get up onto the roof.

panrider_uk
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:23 - 21 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was watching youtube videos the other night with peeps using them to help heat hot tubs by pumping the water from the hot tub through the coiled hose and back into the tub.

Suntan Sid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:00 - 22 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

goto10 wrote:
Get/make yourself a glass-fronted wooden box, big coil of black hose inside (with as much surface area exposed to the glass front as possible) - little pump, then feed that closed loop through a coil of hose in a water cylinder (or bath - although won't be as effective without insulation keeping the heat in)
It's basically what they do in hot countries, you'll always see such a contraption on the roof.

There's one on my roof right now!
In fact it's even simpler than above, there is no pump required, the water heats up very fast, gets very hot and circulates without the pump.
The hot water tank is above the level of the panel out in the sun.
Although the system works on sunlight rather than temperature and will provide hot water on, sunny, winter days, obviously it works best in the summer, (39C today), just when you don't need all that hot water. It's free so can't complain!
The ones they install here are as above but have copper tubing, painted matt black. For what they are, they work really well, the only problems I've seen with this type of panel is the pipes getting clogged with limescale, but that can take fifteen to twenty years.

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:04 - 22 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

All you need is glass, and whatever they make steering wheels out of.

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:42 - 22 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would suggest the best stuff would be 8mm microbore copper pipe, arranged in a spiral (to maximise surface area but without any sharp bends that'll hurt easy pumping, plus make it easier to form by hand), clamp onto a sheet of plywood and spray paint the whole lot matt black (as thin a spray covering as possible). Then glass front it to insulate from the cooling effect of the wind. You could feed from the mains and use mains pressure to drive it depending on where it is and the water pressure, then use the warm water coming out the outlet.

On the vague topic, why doesn't someone invent an insulated bath? The Mrs is forever "topping up" with hot water because she complains it gets cold too quickly. Yes, some will be lost to the surface-air, but some losses could be reduced by insulating the bath itself and given most baths are enclosed behind a screen, the extra bulk of 15-20mm of insulation aren't going to be noticed.

goto10
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:50 - 22 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThunderGuts wrote:

On the vague topic, why doesn't someone invent an insulated bath? The Mrs is forever "topping up" with hot water because she complains it gets cold too quickly. Yes, some will be lost to the surface-air, but some losses could be reduced by insulating the bath itself and given most baths are enclosed behind a screen, the extra bulk of 15-20mm of insulation aren't going to be noticed.

I have no idea of the numbers, but I'd say that the vast majority of the heat will escape from the surface - it's a massive surface area. The most effective thing is to use lots and lots of bubble bath - that provides a pretty good insulation.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:31 - 22 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThunderGuts wrote:
I would suggest the best stuff would be 8mm microbore copper pipe, arranged in a spiral (to maximise surface area but without any sharp bends that'll hurt easy pumping, plus make it easier to form by hand), clamp onto a sheet of plywood and spray paint the whole lot matt black (as thin a spray covering as possible). Then glass front it to insulate from the cooling effect of the wind. You could feed from the mains and use mains pressure to drive it depending on where it is and the water pressure, then use the warm water coming out the outlet.

Black Body Radiator.
Thin tubing would be shite as the restrictions would resist flow.
Black tubes or panels is what the pros use.

Fit a lid over your bath.

The limiting factor on Money Saving Devices/Systems is how much it costs to set up.
Cost effectiveness over time.
And savings realised.
It all looks good until the numbers are crunched.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:59 - 23 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

goto10 wrote:
ThunderGuts wrote:
On the vague topic, why doesn't someone invent an insulated bath?

I have no idea of the numbers, but I'd say that the vast majority of the heat will escape from the surface - it's a massive surface area.

I use a bath tub only about once a decade, but ISTR from experience that steel baths do cool down much faster than acryclic ones.

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:19 - 23 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

*wanders in, doesn't have a FUCKING CLUE what they are talking about, but is dead impressed, blokes doing blokey chat, and fucks off again, pleased to have such awesome chums*

#lalaland ... its good here.

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/ShimmeringIllegalHammerheadshark-mobile.mp4

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:58 - 23 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:
https://thumbs.gfycat.com/ShimmeringIllegalHammerheadshark-mobile.mp4

Hey! I have just realised I can right-click on these blue oblongs! This one gives me some video of a bloke in a hat and an anorak walking along a street and then jumping about on a steep pebbly beach! I don't know what it all means, though. Still. Progress towards enlightenment!

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:06 - 23 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn.
I only put it in there to annoy you, and now you've worked out how to view them Laughing

Don't worry about the meaning, its all in my ditzy little head anyway Laughing

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:13 - 23 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:
I only put it in there to annoy you, and now you've worked out how to view them Laughing

I can assure you it was quite accidental!
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 336 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1