Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Make em pay? NHS workers without health cover.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:44 - 21 May 2020    Post subject: Make em pay? NHS workers without health cover. Reply with quote

Can't believe I'm sharing a Daily Mail article... but my lazy google skills couldn't find much else on the story...

How much DOES the surcharge for foreign NHS workers make?

After having his life saved by healthcare staff who will have undoubtedly had foreigners among them, Boris Johnson still thinks it is right that foreign NHS workers should not be granted free healthcare. I'd have thought such a thing would be an obvious perk of the job.

Johnson claimed it's a £900M revenue stream for the country, but the IFS quickly debunked that and put that value at something nearer £90M. This is absolute peanuts, when you consider other money pits... corporate tax breaks, Trident, battleships, HS2, posh banquets... the list goes on... but oh no, who would ever consider providing free healthcare at a cost!?

So what's going on here? Maybe if we all stand outside and clap a bit louder it'll help?

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:17 - 21 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends how you dress it up.

No, really. It's a job just like any other job. People come from abroad to work here in a variety of jobs, NHS, fruit picking, serving in bars etc. Why should one job have priority over another?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not against anyone working here legitimately having use of the NHS if that's what the law allows. If it doesn't, it doesn't. Petition your MP to change the law but to give one group of workers an exemption over any other is wrong.

Knee jerk reactions are not the way to run a country.

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:30 - 21 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah that's a fair argument.

It just seems a bit strange though. Most jobs used to have perks, i.e. I worked in McDonalds when I was 17... I got free Big Macs on my break.

Even basic healthcare, i.e. A&E cover + doctor visits, would be reasonable. Given what they're doing for the country, it's surely worth that.

(Bit of a tangential point but I think an even better thing would be to have more of our own British healthcare workers manning the NHS, rather than being forced to import them... but hey ho, Tory doctrine seems to have paved the way for as little of that as possible)

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:26 - 21 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord Percy wrote:
I worked in McDonalds when I was 17... I got free Big Macs on my break.

Some people's idea of what constitutes a perk baffles me Laughing
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:39 - 21 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
Lord Percy wrote:

You beat me to it. Thumbs Up

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:39 - 21 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also got food poisoning and quit 2 weeks later Very Happy

Im-a-Ridah
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:01 - 21 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

If he did what you suggest because immigrant NHS staff "saved his life*" then that would be corruption in public office. I thought you opposed Tory MPs doing stuff to help their mates, what changed? Thinking

What we need is a left wing spending fund paid for by left wing voters to pay for all the extra spending left wing people want made.

*Just in for monitoring they said Thinking
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Im-a-Ridah
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:03 - 21 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
Lord Percy wrote:

Are you mocking a restaurant staffed by immigrants? Surprised

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:08 - 21 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im-a-Ridah wrote:

Are you mocking a restaurant staffed by immigrants? Surprised

I have absolutely no idea who staffs McD's. If it's staffed by immigrants, that's one set of immigrants we don't need Laughing
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:14 - 21 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im-a-Ridah wrote:

What we need is a left wing spending fund paid for by left wing voters to pay for all the extra spending left wing people want made.

You mean a left wing spending fund to pay for the massive gap left by ten years of government sell-offs and corporate tax breaks?

Im-a-Ridah wrote:

Probably hyperbole, but if you watch any PMQs Johnson quite clearly said he owes them his life.

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:17 - 21 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:

I have absolutely no idea who staffs McD's. If it's staffed by immigrants, that's one set of immigrants we don't need Laughing

Most are students I think.

One thing I haven't managed to figure out yet is the amount of non-EU immigrants working in takeaway shops. There's a kebab place I used to go to in Leeds which had a guy from Bangladesh working there. Definitely not a student, and quite clearly not on the skills shortage list.

Im-a-Ridah
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:30 - 21 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord Percy wrote:
Im-a-Ridah wrote:

You mean a left wing spending fund to pay for the massive gap left by ten years of government sell-offs and corporate tax breaks?

Im-a-Ridah wrote:

Probably hyperbole, but if you watch any PMQs Johnson quite clearly said he owes them his life.

So you support the fund, excellent! We can just stick another 20% on your income tax Thumbs Up

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:33 - 21 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same rules for everyone. Government workers still pay tax, even though it goes straight back to the government. Foreign workers have to pay for health insurance, just as you or I would if we worked abroad.

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:43 - 21 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord Percy wrote:
Definitely not a student, and quite clearly not on the skills shortage list.

Dunno if it ever got cracked down on but if not you'll find he "studies", at an English school that is someones house and has 200 students paying fee's.

Don't care if it's hypocritical or whatever what you posted in the OP is shocking (my head is far enough up my own arse I didnt even know that was a thing). Best care I had in my last hospital stay was from Indian ladies, the fact they have to pay for the same healthcare that they provide? No that doesn't sit right. Infact it's just plain wrong.

Im-a-Ridah
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:51 - 21 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTTD wrote:
Same rules for everyone. Government workers still pay tax, even though it goes straight back to the government. Foreign workers have to pay for health insurance, just as you or I would if we worked abroad.

But left wing people believe that BAME immigrants are the most important group and so they should be exempt from everything including all taxes and laws.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 12:58 - 21 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im-a-Ridah wrote:
BTTD wrote:

But left wing people believe that BAME immigrants are the most important group and so they should be exempt from everything including all taxes and laws.

Really? Its sounds like you are taking up donks slack.

I don't think that any racial grouping is any better or worse than any other and believe that people should be judged on their actions and not based on something as irrelevant as skin colour.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:10 - 21 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
I don't think that any racial grouping is any better or worse than any other and believe that people should be judged on their actions and not based on something as irrelevant as skin colour.

That'd be nice! Instead black ppl get a free pass to deal drugs and shoot the place up while asian ppl get to fiddle with kids - only in a group of course - and "Iranians" get to go to the beach with their dinghies while white people are all under house arrest.

Ha! How does it feel to be smacked with some 4x2 Wink

Im-a-Ridah
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:47 - 21 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:

Really? Its sounds like you are taking up donks slack.

They say this but the actions say something different. Donk is equal and opposite of the leftists. Generally when people talk about "equality" they are in process of asking for more special treatment. If a group has to be named e.g BAME, immigrants etc then that group is being singled out of different treatment, good or bad.

Kris
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:58 - 21 May 2020    Post subject: Re: Make em pay? NHS workers without health cover. Reply with quote

Lord Percy wrote:

So what's going on here?

Sorry, what free healthcare should they get? I don't know anyone that gets free healthcare other than those with private medical plans through employers.. Thinking

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:03 - 21 May 2020    Post subject: Re: Make em pay? NHS workers without health cover. Reply with quote

Kris wrote:
Sorry, what free healthcare should they get? I don't know anyone that gets free healthcare other than those with private medical plans through employers.. Thinking

So when do you whip out your credit card in an NHS hospital? You don't, unless I've been doing it wrong.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:06 - 21 May 2020    Post subject: Re: Make em pay? NHS workers without health cover. Reply with quote

Lord Percy wrote:

Johnson claimed it's a £900M revenue stream for the country, but the IFS quickly debunked that and put that value at something nearer £90M. This is absolute peanuts

If it's absolute peanuts, give it to me!!!

It's not absolute peanuts in any language, it's bteween 6000 and 9000 hip operations depending on whose costs you believe or mor importantly would buy me .......

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/xmIQi6m0-cM/maxresdefault.jpg

Kris
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:07 - 21 May 2020    Post subject: Re: Make em pay? NHS workers without health cover. Reply with quote

wr6133 wrote:

So when do you whip out your credit card in an NHS hospital? You don't, unless I've been doing it wrong.

That's not how you (or I) pay for the NHS though, is it.

Where do you think the NHS money comes from? The money tree?

Laughing

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:19 - 21 May 2020    Post subject: Re: Make em pay? NHS workers without health cover. Reply with quote

Kris wrote:

That's not how you (or I) pay for the NHS though, is it.

Where do you think the NHS money comes from? The money tree?

Laughing

Tax and NICs.

You know foreign nurses are also paying those?

So why should they pay extra? Why should the nurse providing you healthcare pay more than you for the same?

Kris
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:16 - 21 May 2020    Post subject: Re: Make em pay? NHS workers without health cover. Reply with quote

wr6133 wrote:

So why should they pay extra? Why should the nurse providing you healthcare pay more than you for the same?

Pay extra for what? Give me an example of what they pay extra for that is so unreasonable.

Most people already pay extra for a lot of additional NHS services (dentist for one) even though they've been contributing to it for years.

Are you thinking that foreign nationals are refused emergency or GP care if they don't pay? I have news for you - they don't.

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:31 - 21 May 2020    Post subject: Re: Make em pay? NHS workers without health cover. Reply with quote

Kris wrote:
wr6133 wrote:

Pay extra for what? Give me an example of what they pay extra for that is so unreasonable.

Most people already pay extra for a lot of additional NHS services (dentist for one) even though they've been contributing to it for years.

Are you thinking that foreign nationals are refused emergency or GP care if they don't pay? I have news for you - they don't.

Stop trying to subtly change the debate, at no point have I said anything about a refusal of care. Also WTF have additional services got to do with it?

You pay income tax and NICs.

Nurse from India pays income tax and NICs

That's it for you, all you pay or will ever pay

Nurse from India has to pay a surcharge of £400 a year. You don't. Foreign nurse is therefore paying £400 a year MORE than you are for the same service. A service that the said nurse is actually a key part of providing (to others not herself obviously). Here is the extra they are paying.

Simple enough or you need me to draw it in Crayola?
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 312 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3