Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Honda CG125 - Clutch gone?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Kieranroberts...
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 19:51 - 22 May 2020    Post subject: Honda CG125 - Clutch gone? Reply with quote

Hello,

It’s me again!

Haha, so, my MOT was today (passed). First MOT since 2012!
The MOT station was a 12 mile drive away from me, which meant this is the first proper drive I’ve done on my bike since owning it.
I’ve driven it around the estate a few times which actually ran okay with its Chinese Carburettor and Pod Filter with a play around with the choke and mixture screw (I knew it will probably needed re-jetting and a Different air filter in the future).
I remember the first little 50m test run I did when I got home after buying it, it felt like there was no pull and was revving on the high side. I thought this just the Carburettor needing adjusting.

Anyway, like I said I Was riding it around the estate over the last week and it was fine, pulling around fine, not 100%, but rideable. Felt like there WAS somewhat power changing through the gears. Felt like how the bike should feel. Clutch felt fine.

However, between test rides, the biting point felt strong as should but the next test ride it was high, last minute and sloppy but still tight and springy?
You could put it into gear and let go of the clutch Slowly and it wouldn’t stall really, a quick adjustment to the mixture screw would kinda fix this though, very temporally though? Weird.

Also I know the clutch cable wasn’t trapped etc, it was all free and as it should be.

The ride to the MOT station was okay, I got there okay but wasn’t great. Again, pod filter and a need to re jet the carburettor was probably a culprit. Wasn’t really pulling though.
Revs were high and wasn’t moving really.
Was fiddling with the mixture screw whilst driving and didn’t do much.
(Me being a newbie, I’m not sure it would do much anyway?).
The drive back involved a big long hill, I made it up it but going like 15 mph in 3rd, was revving high but I kept it enough to keep moving without the revs screaming. my clutch lever was fully out.

The ride home was getting worse , was occasionally okay but not most of the time was pulling throttle and not gaining distance.

I got about 2 miles from home and the bike just wouldn’t move, would put it in gear with no clutch and the engine running and it wouldn’t stall.
I put it into gear with the engine off and i could still roll the bike and the back wheel wouldn’t lock up. In every gear.

I removed the clutch cable from the engine to relive the tension of the cable and now the bike would lock the back wheel up whilst changing gears (engine off) like it should.

Long story short...

Has my clutch gone?! Haha

It has decent £10 a litre “Fuchs” 10-40w oil that I put in last week.

However the previous owner, a week before I purchased the bike, he put in 5-30w oil. However, the bike was never ridden with this oil in it. Only started up for my viewing etc...
And me going up and down the road that 50m haha.

Would adjusting the mixture screw constantly when driving cause the clutch plates to wear down?

Answering my own question really: Clutch is gone I’m guessing?

As a quick learner and keen to learn things, is it hard to change the clutch plates (if that is the problem)?. Do you need special tools?
Is it quicker and easier to get a garage to do it? Is it a Job that is easy/harder then it looks/sounds? Is it expensive to get a garage to do the job?

Really annoyed and gutted as I’ve been working on my bike all day everyday For almost 3 weeks to get it though the MOT and now it passed, I can’t even drive it Sad.

I would appreciate any help with this!

Thank You!

Cheers!

dynax
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 20:08 - 22 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which oil specifically did you use, because it sounds like clutch slip which would happen if you used an engine oil for cars by mistake, any oil has to be for motorcycles only Thumbs Up

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 20:30 - 22 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

dynax wrote:
Which oil specifically did you use, because it sounds like clutch slip which would happen if you used an engine oil for cars by mistake, any oil has to be for motorcycles only Thumbs Up

Nah. I've been running my bikes on car oil for decades. It might highlight a clutch that was already on the way out but won't actually cause clutch slip in a normally functioning one..

Kieranroberts...
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 20:32 - 22 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

dynax wrote:

I used: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/200821717038

But the previous owner had 5W-30 Halfords oil for Fords in there, like I said, that oil was only in there for a week and the bike never got ridden more than 50 meters With in in.

Cheers

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 20:39 - 22 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

That normally indicates a clutch cable that's snagging as its frayed somewhere.

Take the cable off both ends and see how freely it sides up and down inside the outer sleeve.

jeffyjeff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:36 - 22 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds to me like you may have had the clutch cable adjusted a little too tight. If so, you might be lucky. The fact that removing the cable caused the rear wheel to lock when the bike is in gear is a good thing. If not a damaged cable or too tight adjustment, your clutch is probably shot. There should be slight slack in the cable. You should be able to pull the clutch lever a few mm before the opposite lever on the transmission responds. The good news is that replacing the clutch is not a terribly difficult job. You can find ample instruction on YouTube, maybe even on your specific motorbike.

Kieranroberts...
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 21:59 - 22 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

The Clutch Cable is in good condition, no snagging or fraying anywhere.

Its also at it "loosest/slackest" setting on both the engine casing and on the lever.
I mean "loosest" as in the screw on the lever is screwed all the way in and same on the engine casing.

At these setting and adjustments, the clutch is engaged. But it wasn't prior to todays ride.

Ive attached a video and photo, the video showing how to engine casing lever is moving and a photo of the angle of what it looks like with the cable connected, at this point the clutch is engaged with no depressing of the clutch level. It wasn't like this before todays ride.

PHOTO AND VIDEO: https://imgur.com/a/fD6Y1lS

Cheers!

bypass2
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 22:15 - 22 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

try where the cable goes to the engine theres a spigot I think it called is that working ok maybe stuck. pull the clutch lever see if it moves. how much oil did you put in

Kieranroberts...
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 22:29 - 22 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

bypass2 wrote:
try where the cable goes to the engine theres a spigot I think it called is that working ok maybe stuck. pull the clutch lever see if it moves. how much oil did you put in

ill try that tomorrow morning, thank you.

Also i put in 1 litre of oil.

Cheers.

bypass2
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 22:38 - 22 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

did it need a litre of oil or use the right amount or put to much in

Last edited by bypass2 on 22:55 - 22 May 2020; edited 2 times in total

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 22:39 - 22 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

For information, the mixture screw only controls the fuel air mixture between idle and about 1/8 of throttle opening. It will have no effect on the clutch.

I also don't think that's the screw you have been fiddling with, you can normally only alter the mixture screw with a screwdriver. If it's the one with the knurled end you can twiddle with your fingers, that is the idle adjustment which determines how open or closed the throttle is at idle and will have no effect on how the bike runs, it only alters idle speed.

Can we also clear up a couple of terms, because it's confusing.

When most people refer to a clutch being "engaged" they mean the plates are all pushed together and are allowing the engine to turn the gearbox which turns the back wheel. So the situation when you are riding along normally without touching the clutch lever and there is slight slack in the clutch cable.

When you "disengage" the clutch, you pull the lever and tighten the cable which seperates the clutch plates and allows the engine to turn without turning the gearbox and rear wheel.

Another couple of useful terms for you "Slipping" is when the clutch fails to engage properly. So the rev speed of the engine rises without a related increase in overall speed. As if you'd pulled the clutch lever in slightyl.

"Crabbing" is where the clutch fails to disengage properly, so you pull the clutch in fully but the bike continues to try to move along and may or may not stall.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 22:43 - 22 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can any CG125 (or similar small honda owners) confirm if it ought to be possible to move the clutch actuator with your thumb like that? Seems pretty loose to me.

Check the ends of the cable outer are properly seated in both ends.

Kieranroberts...
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 22:58 - 22 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Can any CG125 (or similar small honda owners) confirm if it ought to be possible to move the clutch actuator with your thumb like that? Seems pretty loose to me.

Check the ends of the cable outer are properly seated in both ends.

Thank you for explaining the terms to me correctly! I’m still learning so it’s nice to know now, cheers!

Also, when I was moving the Clutch Actuator with my thumb, I was using quit a lot of pressure and it wasn’t that easy to move.

Would be handy to know if I should be able to do that!

Thank You

Cheers

jeffyjeff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:06 - 22 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

So it appears that the lever moves through it's arc (what, maybe 30 degrees?) before the clutch begins to disengage, then the lever moves further as you apply more force and the clutch plates separate. Looks reasonable to me. But if the cable is fully adjusted to the loose side, it seems that there might not be enough slack when it is connected to the lever. The lever position when connected looks suspiciously close to the lever position when the clutch begins to disengage.

I read into your post that since you have owned the bike, the clutch has never worked properly to your satisfaction. If you cannot easily feel some slack in the hand lever when the cable is fully adjusted at both ends to the loose side, then something is wrong. Perhaps it broke and was repaired improperly (cable too short for the jacket), or perhaps it is the wrong cable.

Kieranroberts...
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 05:00 - 23 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeffyjeff wrote:
So it appears that the lever moves through it's arc (what, maybe 30 degrees?) before the clutch begins to disengage, then the lever moves further as you apply more force and the clutch plates separate. Looks reasonable to me. But if the cable is fully adjusted to the loose side, it seems that there might not be enough slack when it is connected to the lever. The lever position when connected looks suspiciously close to the lever position when the clutch begins to disengage.

I read into your post that since you have owned the bike, the clutch has never worked properly to your satisfaction. If you cannot easily feel some slack in the hand lever when the cable is fully adjusted at both ends to the loose side, then something is wrong. Perhaps it broke and was repaired improperly (cable too short for the jacket), or perhaps it is the wrong cable.

That makes a lot of sense that there’s not enough slack in the cable. I’m going to order a new Clutch Cable to see if that works, if not I’m guessing new clutch plates etc?, I think it may be worth doing now anyway.

Also there’s no play in the Clutch Lever at all. Something defiantly isn’t right!

Question:
How come my bike was somewhat rideable with the clutch like this then after a ride it’s just not rideable at all?

Thank You

Cheers

jeffyjeff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:47 - 23 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kieranroberts1234 wrote:
Question:
How come my bike was somewhat rideable with the clutch like this then after a ride it’s just not rideable at all? Thank You Cheers

Well, I gotta surmise that you have been riding with a slipping clutch for all of the time that you have had this bike. The friction plates have likely worn down as a result, or maybe overheating contributed to the clutch failure. From what you have said, there is a chance that your clutch still has some life in it, but you will have to rectify your clutch cable issue to find out. There is probably a lot of clutch material floating around in your engine oil right now, and an oil change would be smart. Personally, I've used car oil in my bikes for years, just make sure the oil is not labeled "energy conserving" (the friction modifiers will contribute to clutch slip). If you do decide to replace the clutch plates, remember to get a new clutch cover gasket. Scraping the old gasket material without gouging the clutch cover or engine case is the hardest part of the job. As I said previously, you should have no problem finding an instructional video on YouTube. Good luck, and have fun learning about your bike. Good on you for tackling this on your own!

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 09:53 - 23 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another thought. Do you have standard handlebars fitted? If they are over-height, it might be pulling on the cable.

As an experiment, you could try routing the cable straight over the top of the tank and down to the engine. Just make a mental (or photographic) note of the routing before you do so so you can put it back.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:50 - 23 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kieranroberts1234 wrote:
Ive attached a video and photo, the video showing how to engine casing lever is moving and a photo of the angle of what it looks like with the cable connected, at this point the clutch is engaged with no depressing of the clutch level. It wasn't like this before todays ride.

PHOTO AND VIDEO: https://imgur.com/a/fD6Y1lS

When you press with on the actuator lever with your thumb, it will move easily at first, and then the lever will suddenly come to a point where it becomes a lot harder to move. This is when it starts to push the clutch plates apart and disengage the drive.

So, if you're going along, you want the lever somewhere in the "slack" arc of movement, just before it gets to the "harder to move" bit, so that when you pull the clutch lever on the hendlebar, it pulls the actuating lever on the crankcase through the into the "harder to move" area of movement.

So you need to adjust the clutch cable to make this happen. There's probably some guidance in the manual about adjusting it, but it's easy to do. No movement at all st the handlebar lever and in the "hard to move" area, the clutch is already disengaged and you have no (or very little) drive. Clutch lever handlebar end all loose and floppy in that it takes no effort to move, the actuator arm hasn't travelled into the "hard to move" area, and the drive won't disengage.

There should be an online manual somewhere....

Edit: Download this: https://die-kleinkraftrad-ig.de/wissensdatenbank/reparaturanleitungcg125.pdf

EDIT: Make sure the clutch is adjusted properly before fannying around wiyth other stuff or taking things apart.

7 Check the clutch adjustment. Fine adjustment is provided on the handlebar lever bywayof a threaded adjuster and lockring. Should this prove insufficient, a second adjuster nut and locknut can be found at the cable lower end. These should be set to give 10-20mm (0.4 — 0.8in) movement at the lever end before the clutch begins to lift.

If it's impossible to adjust correctly, perhaps the cable's wrong.

Kieranroberts...
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 11:45 - 23 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

Thank you for all the help and replies!

I tried rerouting the cable and adjusting it every way that it would seem logical to.

Same problem.

I decided to drain the oil and dissemble the clutch.

The brand new oil was smelling bad, had sediment in it, clutch cover had loads of sediment in it too.

I made a tool out of a socket to remove the castle but on the, is it the Oil centrifugal filter?

Took the clutch apart and took some
Photos, I’ll let you Guys have a look
At the photos and tell me why my clutch wasn’t working correctly Very Happy.

It won’t let me upload straight from my phone so have to attached the photos through a “Imgur” link.

https://imgur.com/gallery/sJvDRdR

Thank You!

Cheers!

jeffyjeff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:08 - 23 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clean the plates in solvent and check thickness against specs. Clutch basket is toast. Consider replacing the steel plates if they don't dress up after cleaning (you could use some 220 wet dry sandpaper on them), especially if they are discolored (blue is bad). They are probably not warped, otherwise the clutch would be dragging. Friction plates should be replaced if they are at or near the wear limit. Yours are definitely not worn down to the backing plate yet. Check the springs free length against specifications while you're at it or, if you are in the mood and finances permit, get new ones. Weak springs contribute to clutch slip. Of course, you could simply replace all the parts for a completely fresh clutch. All that crap in the oil is clutch material. The bad smell is what a burnt clutch smells like. You are learning...good for you Wink

Kieranroberts...
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 12:23 - 23 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeffyjeff wrote:
clutch is toast. I'd replace the friction and steel plates and the clutch basket. Check the springs free length against specifications while you're at it or, if you are in the mood and finances permit, get new ones. All that crap in the oil is clutch material. The bad smell is what a burnt clutch smells like. You are learning...good for you Wink

Thank You for Your support!

ive found a whole Clutch Basket Assembly with plates and springs etc all included.
However I can't find one for my bikes year (1996).

Wemoto have a 98-00 Clutch Kit:

https://www.wemoto.com/bikes/honda/cg_125_w/98-00/picture/clutch_kit

eBay also has some:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Honda-CG-125-Complete-Clutch-Plate-Assemble-with-Basket-4-Spring-Type-73-Teeth-/173680305710

These type have the last Friction Plate not aligned with the rest.
On my Clutch Basket all 5 Plates are aligned.

https://imgur.com/a/YKzHppc

Would using this different Assembly be a problem or do i need to find a Basket the exact same style as mine? (all Plates aligned)?

Also if i do need to use the exact same style and cant find a new Clutch Basket for sale the same style as mine, is it possible to carefully file away the ridges on my old one?
Also this is saving money as i am getting on the low side! Laughing

Thank You!

Cheers

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:41 - 23 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kieranroberts1234 wrote:
(1996 model)
Also if i do need to use the exact same style and cant find a new Clutch Basket for sale the same style as mine, is it possible to carefully file away the ridges on my old one?

YTou could shave down the clutch basket, where it's worn, until the marks are *just* gone, you want to take off as little as possible so the plates don't rattle to and fro a lot.

However, I'd be inclined to buy a used one in good condition. As you say, there are some on eBay, between £12 and £35.

Edit:

Here's someone talking about filing out the marks:

https://thumpertalk.com/articles/what-causes-a-worn-clutch-basket-amp-how-to-fix-it-r282/

Might fit yours, ask whether there's similar wear:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Honda-CG125-Clutch-Basket/223995475811?hash=item34272bb763:g:wiMAAOSwe-NeTQke

There's another, basket only, for £25 but that has some marks (not as deep as yours though).

Last edited by Riejufixing on 12:50 - 23 May 2020; edited 1 time in total

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:48 - 23 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Worth noting that if the clutch isn't disengaging 100% you could compensate by upping the revs (i.e. the idle screw) to allow the engine to overcome the drag and not stall when stationary and idling. (I did this intentionally on my old DT as the clutch plates hadn't been doing anything for 30 years but it's not meant as a long term fix.) I suspect that's what you've been doing.

N00b question: what's actually wrong with the clutch basket? I haven't got my good specs on.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:53 - 23 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
N00b question: what's actually wrong with the clutch basket? I haven't got my good specs on.

The ribs, of fingers if you prefer, have wear where the lugs on the cluctch plates have been rattling to and fro, so that when the clutch is pulled in, they do not easily and smoothly separate.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 12:53 - 23 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, there's your answer then.

You can re-dress the notched edges back to flat with a file or burr but you land up with more slack in the system so it'll happen again faster next time. Not wrong if you are short on cash, costs nothing but time.

Check the plain plates are flat by placing them on a sheet of glass and seeing if they rock or you can get a feeler guage under them. If they are, clean them by de-greasing then sticking some wet and dry paper to a sheet of glass/flat marble slab and sanding in a side-to-side motion to get the blueing off. Then THOROUGHLY clean off again. I actually bung them in the sink, hot soapy water, rinse with hot water, dry immediately and spray with WD40 to stop flash-rust. You don't want any residue from the abrasive getting into your oil

The friction plates don't look horrible and the tangs don't look particularly notched so you'd just need to check if the thickness is within the tolerance stated in the manual.

Also check the splines on the clutch hub for notching.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 338 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3