Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Buying a Helmet by Mail Order

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

Qyburn
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 16:51 - 27 May 2020    Post subject: Buying a Helmet by Mail Order Reply with quote

Is this a stupid idea? I was intending to go into the dealer sometime this summer for a new helmet, thinking that you want to try it on first hand. But there are a lot of mail order outfits selling helmets. How have people got on with getting the right size?

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:56 - 27 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess it's possible but with potentially an awful lot of returns until you find the right fit . . . see if the shop/dealer is happy with that first and who pays the postage (probably you!) which for a helmet is not going to be cheap.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:34 - 27 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't.

Unless you already have one of them, or have already tried that helmet, in that size, on in a shop.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 18:42 - 27 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are intending on ordering one of everything and then once you've tried them on, returning all of them apart from the one which fits the best?

Analogkid
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 18:53 - 27 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThunderGuts wrote:
I guess it's possible but with potentially an awful lot of returns until you find the right fit . . . see if the shop/dealer is happy with that first and who pays the postage (probably you!) which for a helmet is not going to be cheap.

Sportsbikeshop is good for this, sure it's a faf, but no worse than walking about a dealership for 30-40 mins with your chosen helmet on, they offer free shipping (over £25, and free returns up to 365 days) You get to wear the lid in the comfort of your own home, and as long as you return it with tags and stickers then they have a no quibble refund, when buying for my daughter last year we bought 3 lids (on CC) and kept the one that fitted best.

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:46 - 27 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn't help but I have three all different makes - conventional full face, enduro style and open face and only one wasn't bought online.
They are all marked same size and all acceptable fit.
But in any case here the nearest bike shop with any sort of choice is about 30 miles away now.

Would you be allowed to try one in the shop due to CV19 anyway just now, I see it's proposed clothes shops won't allow fitting rooms.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:04 - 27 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought my open face lid off Amazon. Measured my head, read the reviews which indicated that the sizing was accurate, forked out the £35. very happy with it.

Read the reviews, decide on how much you're prepared to be fucked about for if it doesn't match the description, go for it.
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:42 - 27 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done it. Buying helmets online is increasingly normal (when I decide to do something, it's normalised Laughing), and bike gear shops are few and far between nowadays. If you have a standard shaped head (not everyone does) and you use a tape measure as per the instructions, you'll be fine. Keep all the packaging and leave the stickers on and try it out. If it doesn't fit, return it. If the weight of a helmet matters to you, take note of the given information before you buy. If you're buying something semi-decent, from a good brand, it's likely to be OK. But read all the (Amazon, not motorcycle press) reviews you can, because there are some disadvantages to buying online which aren't apparent from descriptions. Specifically, your nose, your chin, and the space for both inside the helmet, and noise levels. Another thing to look out for: helmet shell sizes. If you have a small or medium cc cranium, you might not want to buy a model of helmet where there are only 2 shell sizes for all the different sizes (XS, S, M, L, XL) you can buy, as the helmet may seem cumbersome.

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:24 - 27 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go to your local shop, try on everything you like, if it's cheaper elsewhere ask them to price match. Simple.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:54 - 28 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably obvious but I have an odd head. I've spent many an hour in J&S trying on the helmets I like the looks of and then ended up with something entirely unexpected as it was the only thing that fitted!

Qyburn
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 13:03 - 28 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kentol750 wrote:
Go to your local shop, try on everything you like, if it's cheaper elsewhere ask them to price match. Simple.

I'm reasonably regular at the local shop as they are near the office. All changed though with this working from home. I think their prices are reasonably OK, worth it for clothing for the convenience of trying it on. When I got a jacket last year they gave me a discount and a free bottle of brake fluid.

notabikeranym...
Formerly known as
meef

PostPosted: 13:37 - 28 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just ride to the closest SportsBikeShop warehouse and try on any helmet till you find the right size/fit. They have pretty much everything and will let you try on everything.

Then if you don't want to buy it there & then, make a note of helmet sizes/brands that fit you and order them online.

That's how I've bought all my helmets.

J&S can suck a fat one. Their pushy sales tactics pissed me off. Trying to tell me a Shoei is more aero than an AGV and that an AGV is a bad helmet. Why do you stock them then? Piss off with your trade contract and commission driven suggestions- FYI I knew someone who worked there, and she said they push for specific brands regardless of the customers' wants/needs.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:14 - 28 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meef wrote:
J&S can suck a fat one. Their pushy sales tactics pissed me off. Trying to tell me a Shoei is more aero than an AGV and that an AGV is a bad helmet. Why do you stock them then? Piss off with your trade contract and commission driven suggestions- FYI I knew someone who worked there, and she said they push for specific brands regardless of the customers' wants/needs.

Must vary a lot by branch, never had this in the New Malden one. I went in with a budget of £200 and walked away with a £90 helmet. They seemed happy enough at the time.

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:46 - 28 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
Meef wrote:

Must vary a lot by branch, never had this in the New Malden one. I went in with a budget of £200 and walked away with a £90 helmet. They seemed happy enough at the time.

Varies depending on the individual. I've shopped at both the Manchester and Northwich ones and they're both reasonable enough, but I've encountered both average and excellent attendants at both. Fortunately the first time I went to spend big money on a full attire at the start of my biking journey, my instructor knew exactly who to talk to at the shop and pointed me at a specific individual who was brilliant - no pushiness at all. Likewise, I ended up with a £90 IXS helmet which suits me just fine and fits like a glove.

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:50 - 28 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

When it was in Northwich I had the opposite experience to the pushy salesperson. i.e Complete indifference.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 324 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1