Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

TravisBickle
Formerly known as
DUCAUDI

PostPosted: 21:03 - 02 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
So your problem has absolutely nothing to do with battery chemistry but but fuckwittedness?

I suggest you have absolutely nothing to add to this discussion about battery chemistry

Yes but that's a real world scenario. You might be perfect, infallible and never make mistakes or goofs but most normal people in the real world will brain fart from time to time so I think these real world results will be relevant/helpful for some people and something to bear in mind. If it's not relevant to you because you're fucking perfect and never goof that's fine, but you can't assume everyone is as intellectually superior, street-wise and has the common sense that you do.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 21:10 - 02 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really dont see why having a lead acid would be preferable to a lithium battery in the situation you des ribe. A flat battery is a flat battery.

TravisBickle
Formerly known as
DUCAUDI

PostPosted: 21:15 - 02 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

You do, you're just being argumentative, but I'll continue to humour you...

Yes as you say a dead battery is a dead battery, but one dies after 30 minutes, the other after 90 to 120 minutes. There's three to times more scope there for potentially coming out realising you've left the ignition on before it goes totally flat on lead acid as compared to lithium. Like I keep banging on about real world scenarios, you say this is a fuckwit thing to do but fuckwits do exist and I have been known to be one of them from time to time. Yeah sure if you leave the parking light on and go to work/bed the battery is going to be dead regardless but in situations like leaving it in the garage while you work on it or sort your shit out, stopping in the street to talk with the kill switch, nipping in the shop or garage etc. these things can and do happen.

I'm sorry I seem to have hurt your feelings you obviously have a hard on for lithium, and I'm not saying it doesn't have it's place, all I'm saying is there's something to consider there and that lithium isn't superior in all areas.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:15 - 02 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tuberculosis wrote:
accidentally put it in parking light on instead of steering lock.

I did that. Once. I made a mental note not to do it again. I didn't decide I needed a different electrical system.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

TravisBickle
Formerly known as
DUCAUDI

PostPosted: 21:19 - 02 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
Tuberculosis wrote:
accidentally put it in parking light on instead of steering lock.

I did that. Once. I made a mental note not to do it again. I didn't decide I needed a different electrical system.

That's just one example I gave for the battery going flat and I haven't suggested to anyone that has done this should replace their lithium battery with a lead acid one Thinking all I've done is report the findings from FortNine but lithium lovers seem reluctant to accept that lead acid isn't inferior in all regards :-/

TravisBickle
Formerly known as
DUCAUDI

PostPosted: 21:24 - 02 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tuberculosis wrote:
That's just one example I gave for the battery going flat and I haven't suggested to anyone that has done this should replace their lithium battery with a lead acid one Thinking all I've done is report the findings from FortNine but lithium lovers seem reluctant to accept that lead acid isn't inferior in all regards :-/

I will say this though... the 'equivalent' lithium battery being significantly smaller and lighter, for some reason they compare a 3ah lithium battery to be equivalent to a 9ah lead acid battery... I bet if you took an 'actual' 9ah lithium battery it would probably be similar size as a lead acid battery but probably still be lighter and out perform lead acid in ALL other areas too. So volume for volume or weight for weight, yes, lithium probably is superior in all regards, but that kinda defeats some of the reason some people go to lithium and that's to save space and weight Thinking

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 21:27 - 02 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will say this again.

Your battery is only meant to start your bike and not run the lights when the engine isnt running.

You can still keep on your diatribe about a lead acid keeping the lights on longer but that's not what it's for.

TravisBickle
Formerly known as
DUCAUDI

PostPosted: 21:31 - 02 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Correct. And I will say this again. We all goof from time to time (apart from you apparently). I merely thought this information might be useful to some people but you know what, forget I said anything, don't wanna upset anyone Rolling Eyes

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 21:38 - 02 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have left my lights on. Once. Back in the 90s with my sirocco. I had to buy a set of jump leads to get it started off a friendly van driver. I never did it again because I learnt from it.

The experience hasn't changed my view on what battery chemistry I use.

I'm more concerned about the potential ball of flames (polymer) or explosion (ion) underneath my bollocks with lithium batteries than leaving my lights on.

TravisBickle
Formerly known as
DUCAUDI

PostPosted: 21:55 - 02 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
I have left my lights on. Once. Back in the 90s with my sirocco. I had to buy a set of jump leads to get it started off a friendly van driver. I never did it again because I learnt from it.

Couldn't tell you the last time I done it on a car, it's been AGES (I think mostly because cars have auto headlights these days and even if they don't they have a warning buzzer of some sort), but I must admit in my youth I used to do it now and then, but for some reason I've done it twice on my bikes recently, once on my old FZS600 and once on my current FZ1, like Jimbo said I did kinda make a mental note the first time to make sure that didn't happen again by turning the key too far and putting it in parking light mode but for some reason I managed to do it again on my new bike at work (I think I was probably running late and in a rush so didn't do my usual double-check on the key position and check back light is definitely off). Aside from this I did used to have a habit of using the kill switch to park up temporarily when I should have been switching the ignition off. Again, been bitten by this too many times now so making a mental note not to do that any more now too, I think I've got out of the habit now. You could call me an air-head but I'm only human (just!).

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
The experience hasn't changed my view on what battery chemistry I use.

I'm more concerned about the potential ball of flames (polymer) or explosion (ion) underneath my bollocks with lithium batteries than leaving my lights on.

Me either, that was my main reason for sticking with lead acid too. I'm glad we agree on something Laughing

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 22:11 - 02 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my work life I spent a bit of time doing the money for a team that dealt with Qinitiq team who also happened to do all things relating battery tech for the MOD.

I've seen some very interesting videos of lithium batteries that are the same size as the ones put in night vision goggles.

The manufacturers reckoned that they were the same as the hand made ones the MOD use but they weren't.

The MOD ones just expelled the contents when they vent (the tech term for when the contents are expelled their) whereas the competitors actually exploded. Actually took bits of brick out of the test chamber.

The competitors batteries had more consistent output than the MOD ones but crucially didnt include a weak point for it to vent through.

You really dont want a helicopter pilot to have a battery explode violently on the side of their head.

I did mention the fact that a lot of bikers use lithium batteries and they basically sat on them and when they stopped laughing the advice was to buy them from a well known reputable company.

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:07 - 03 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:

As a newcomer to this thread and with curiosity only.
What are the chances of that happening with a good quality lithium ion battery from a good manufacturer?
Are they really lighter than lead acid batteries?
Is the weight saving that significant?

EDIT: tl/dr

TravisBickle
Formerly known as
DUCAUDI

PostPosted: 10:54 - 03 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Far from being an expert but I'm guessing the answer to that would be "how long is a piece of string?".

If the conditions are correct theres no reason for that to happen spontaneously, but I understand if they're stored/recharged outside of a specified temperature range this could happen, and from what others have said on here if the charging voltage/quality is not up to scratch could also happen. Real world probability? Probably very low on a modern bike but enough to scare me off :-/

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 11:01 - 03 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

A good quality battery should be optimised specifically for use with a vehicle charging system and have circuitry within it that ensures balanced charging across the cells and prevents overcharging.

With this type the risk is minimal but still exists.

Cheaper generic 12v batteries will not be designed specifically for vehicles but charged with a dedicated charger and so could be at a much greater risk of overcharging and runaway thermal events (fire/explosion depending on type.)

TravisBickle
Formerly known as
DUCAUDI

PostPosted: 16:35 - 03 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
A good quality battery should be optimised specifically for use with a vehicle charging system and have circuitry within it that ensures balanced charging across the cells and prevents overcharging.

With this type the risk is minimal but still exists.

Cheaper generic 12v batteries will not be designed specifically for vehicles but charged with a dedicated charger and so could be at a much greater risk of overcharging and runaway thermal events (fire/explosion depending on type.)

A more comprehensive and concise answer than my own

</DICKSUCK>

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:57 - 03 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about weight?, size for size, are they significantly lighter?
What about output for size? Compared to lead/acid.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 16:59 - 03 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lithium power density is much higher so for the same size they have more watt hours.

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:00 - 03 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most bike batteries are lithium iron phosphate (LiFePO4). I know for sure JMT and Shido are.

This chemistry trades off power density for stability compared to lithium ion batteries that are in mobile phones, vapes etc. When LiFePO4 cells do fail they don't explode, they vent. They also don't set on fire, unlike Li-ion.

Nobody thinks twice about putting a Li-ion phone in their pocket next door to their manvag, nor thinks about it exploding next to their eyeballs, on a plane or in a petrol station.

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:31 - 03 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just did a bit of research on teh net!
According to the feedback on this site , they are a fair bit lighter than lead-acid.

https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/248790

The battery on my 250 is in good order at the moment.
However when I need a new battery, I could save a bit of weight as well.
Every little helps Smile .
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 326 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2