Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Sharpening a serrated bladed knive

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF...
View previous topic : View next topic  

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:01 - 24 May 2020    Post subject: Sharpening a serrated bladed knive Reply with quote

What's the best way of sharpening serrated bladed knives.

I have a lot of different knives but one of my favourite is a serrated bladed knife I use for cutting sh1t from around the prop amongst other things. This one

https://alloutdoor.2dimg.com/4/1327586775_07.jpg

The serrations are worn and I've tried sharpening with a chainsaw file as suggested with google but I've probably made it worse. I have oil stones and will quite happily sharpen a straight blade with them and I also have a kitchen knife sharpener which says it sharpens serrated blade, does it bollox.

Otherwise it's a knife sharpener to do it for me however the problem there with it being a lock knife it's illegal and I don't know how fussy they are. I really can't be bothered with plod coming round, he'd have a field day with some of the things in my house. Laughing

At £30 I could just buy another but there is nothing else wrong with it and it's an favourite so it seems a waste to junk it.

Anyone have any ideas on how to go about it?

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:10 - 24 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Locking knives are only illegal to carry in a public place without a reasonable excuse, you're allowed to own them and carry them for use with work, etc. When wild camping or doing bushcrafty things I always use fixed blades or occasionally locking blades because they're so much safer than folders.

For sharpening a conical diamond coated rod is the tool is choose. I'm not great at it though, as I prefer straight edges blades over serrations for most tasks.

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:40 - 24 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

A tapered diamond rod will work as will a fine small round file. You can also wrap finer grades of emery round that to achieve a proper finish.

I have a CRKT knife with a serrated section on the blade and I use a small round file with increasingly fine grades of emery paper and a drop of water. It can't be stropped easily but if you want that final level of sharpness then some cloth or thin leather with Autosol will do that for you. Thumbs Up

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:46 - 24 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll persevere with the file and emery cloth then. It's probably just practice and it's not the end of the world if I fcuk it up. Thumbs Up

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:50 - 24 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

kgm wrote:
Locking knives are only illegal to carry in a public place without a reasonable excuse, you're allowed to own them and carry them for use with work, etc. When wild camping or doing bushcrafty things I always use fixed blades or occasionally locking blades because they're so much safer than folders.

For sharpening a conical diamond coated rod is the tool is choose. I'm not great at it though, as I prefer straight edges blades over serrations for most tasks.

Oh yes, totally agree. We got that hammered into us at seamanship when I was a cadet. Pictures of people fingers after a folding knife shut on them helped drum it home. Laughing

The trouble is, I wouldn't trust plod as far as I could spit over this. There was some surveyor who got done carrying a Leatherman multi tool because the blade was locked.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 12:51 - 24 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is more of a saw than a serrated knife. I'd sharpen it like a saw blade.

Incidentally, I wonder if you'd do better with a rescue knife like I keep for my canoe? if it's for clearing ropes/lines tangled round stuff, they have a hook point.

NRS do a cracking one and it's more of a serrated knife edge than a saw edge so easier to sharpen. You could also sucessfully argue the toss with plod that it's a rescue tool and not a knife.
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0102/9718/0219/products/CKS00506_NRS_Captains_Rescue_Knife_2048x2048.jpg

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:52 - 24 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

It might be a bit fiddly, what about using a Dremel and one of the tiny grinding bits?

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:05 - 24 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
The trouble is, I wouldn't trust plod as far as I could spit over this. There was some surveyor who got done carrying a Leatherman multi tool because the blade was locked.

If you've got good reason to have the thing on you, you should not have a problem. "I'm taking it home to sharpen" or "I'm taking it to my boat at the marina where I use it to clear crap fouling my shaft" for instance, as long as you're not on a detour.... You could always check by asking a copper what they think about the situation. My favourite penknife is my Douk-Douk folder, which has a very strong backspring, so is not likely to close in normal use. I wanted the full-size handle, but the blade length was too long, so I shortened it a little, and I am not concerned about being moaned at. It's not serrated, though.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 14:35 - 24 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carrying a knife is all about context. I'm guessing that stinkwheel keeps his rescue knife in a pocket or his buoyancy jacket so having his canoe on a car roof rack and the rest of his canoeing kit in his car would validate the excuse that the knife in the car is for canoeing safety purposes.

The reasonableness of your excuse is something that's judged by a jury of your peers.

Stinkwheel having the safety knife in his drivers door pocket and then claiming that it's he must have forgotten to put it away after canoeing last week could be seen as a much less reasonable excuse.

Everything comes down to the context.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:37 - 24 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

pepperami wrote:
It might be a bit fiddly, what about using a Dremel and one of the tiny grinding bits?

I never even thought of that and I have a dremel and a box of attachments I have hardly used.

I suspect it will be a fix or fcuk operation though. Laughing

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:08 - 24 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
I suspect it will be a fix or fcuk operation though. Laughing

Diamond needle file? Use gently, no great pressure, or the tiny fragments of diamond will fall off....

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 17:12 - 24 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a set of these for sharpening steak knives with my dremel

I would recommend practising on a suitable piece of metal because it will make serations where you put it and not necessarily where thebserations are supposed to be.

https://i.imgur.com/yDM2wJB.jpg

Jmoan
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 19:12 - 24 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't there any guide system to make sure the grinding disc cuts at the right area or do they have a spindle with different sized discs on the production line?

kgm wrote:
Locking knives are only illegal to carry in a public place without a reasonable excuse, you're allowed to own them and carry them for use with work, etc.

Where did that come from as any folding knife locks if you're willing to put your fingers at risk. Wink

Or have some other way of keeping them safe.

https://media.knivesandtools.com/Exact1200x800/52849/spc167gp$05-spyderco-friction-folder-spc167gp-05.jpg

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:21 - 24 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jmoan wrote:

Oh, a Spyderco knife. I bought The Boy a Squeak for his birthday a few years ago. It's OK, the thing that stops it folding on your fingers is a finger Smile

Suntan Sid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:51 - 24 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVRB3uP1-VY

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:00 - 24 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suntan Sid wrote:

For "sandpaper" or "emery cloth" read "wet'n'dry" Smile mush betterer.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 337 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1