Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

The Cummings affair

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:59 - 27 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rebel wrote:
Lord Percy wrote:
Secondly, covid-19 mortality rate sits at 14% in the UK

not even for octogenarians (9%), it's 5% in the UK as of March 23

That's two months ago. He's done deaths/cases: 37,048/265,227*100=~14%

Tracey Suntan-King
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:11 - 27 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's gone beyond being "The Cummings Affair" now.

Its about how Doris and co have managed it. Remember not so long ago, Doris swept to victory with a massive majority gifted by Corbyn & Swinson, not Cummings?

He vowed to get Brexit done and the country breathed (no irony intended) a sigh of relief because Doris was a "breath of fresh air" and we could all sit back and let him get on with things.

Then the pandemic hit and even though he cocked things up badly from the start, failing to lockdown, close borders etc, the public kept faith with him.

Then he caught it and "nearly died" but fought bravely to come back to "lead" us.

Then he had a(nother) ickle babby and everyone went, "Aahh"

So all.of the above meant that despite his known previous failings and misdemenours, the UK had a degree of trust and confidence in him.

Then this started to kick off and he and no 10 denied and lied and obstructed till it all spewed out into the public domain.

At that point there was a window of opportunity to limit the damage.

Cummings should have issued a statement saying "It's true I did it I shouldn't have. I was panicking, not thinking. I know how this looks. I offer my regret and apologies to the PM and the people of UK. I have offered to resign."

Followed by PM saying "I, as I am sure all other right thinking people deplore the actions of Mr Cummings in breaking lockdown. I have listened to his explanation and while it is plain that he acted wrongly, I understand but do not condone, his reasoning. He has offered his resignation which I have decided not to accept for the following reason. Mr Cummings has played a vital role as an advisor and has a wealth of knowledge and experience which I believe are too valuable to be lost to the government at this time. However his position will be kept under review and he assures me that he will adhere to all government guidance from now on."

All of which is total bullshit, but something like that, more contrition,would have neutralised a lot of the anger and baying for blood that's now happening, leaving Doris & co free to concentrate of dealing with the pandemic by killing people and protecting business. Instead they're being wheeled out in turn to protect Cummings and making the situation worse with every appearance.

As it is Doris and his sycophants and Cummings have painted themselves into a corner they can't get out of without appearing to be idiots or liars. They are taking it in turns to justify the unjustifiable.

The UK is losing faith, feel like mugs and are right!y furious at being lied to and taken for fools.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:13 - 27 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the world of politics Rolling Eyes
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:19 - 27 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tracey Suntan-Leftwaffe wrote:

As it is Doris and his sycophants and Cummings have painted themselves into a corner they can't get out of without appearing to be idiots or liars. They are taking it in turns to justify the unjustifiable.

Michael Gove, upon being asked for his response to the bishop of Leeds' criticisms of the government over the past couple of days:

I wish the bishop well.

Quote:
"I wish the bishop well. I wish him well. Yes, erm, y'know, I'm erm, I'm a Christian too, and erm, I think, therefore, I have great respect for the church, for the bishops, for the leadership that they exercise, and I wish him well."

Seems the Tory leadership are increasingly reading from the Donald Trump guidebook on nonsense talk.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 13:27 - 27 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

My inner skeptic says that as the Cummings eye test row is overshadowing everything else right now, that means it's a convenient time for other bad news to skate under the radar undetected.

So what bad news has been buried?

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:29 - 27 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:

So what bad news has been buried?

Dunno, it's been buried.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:51 - 27 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

The next thing to happen will be a managed social media campaign to make anybody talking about this appear a twat in the eyes of the public.

The real coup for the spin-machine would be to get people to feel so sorry for Cummings that he gets his own special clap on a Thursday night Smile

Tracey Suntan-King
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:55 - 27 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't shake off a nagging suspicion that this farago (the handling of it all) has been deliberately orchestrated by Cummings. I just can't work out why.

He's supposed to be a master at reading the public mood and communicating carefully crafted messages to achieve objectives.

How could he/they get this so wrong and keep pouring petrol on the flames of rage everybody is feeling? Is it deliberate?

Is it a plan to get Doris out of the job that he's clearly no good at, not up to and obviously hates?

Is is a plan to demonise the MSM (for harassing a good father for only doing what's right) to set up a fake news agenda and destroy public trust in the media? Stop sniggering at the back Laughing

Or a plan to restore Tories as the nasty party we temporarily forgot about when they started spaffing money in every direction when the pandemic took hold?

Yeah, me neither Wink

cdlxxvi
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 14:48 - 27 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't shake off a nagging suspicion that this farago (the handling of it all) has been deliberately orchestrated by Cummings. I just can't work out why.

He's supposed to be a master at reading the public mood and communicating carefully crafted messages to achieve objectives.

How could he/they get this so wrong and keep pouring petrol on the flames of rage everybody is feeling? Is it deliberate?

I think you overestimate his aptitude. He may think himself to be the Clausewitz accompanying some finer Hohenzollerns, but is in reality the Toadwart at the side of Duke Igthorn.

The only thing their lot excels at is peddling confidence scams to the public using catchy slogans.
When it comes to things that require any practical skill - handling an emergency, arguing a court case, managing international relations, to name a few - they fail miserably and try to cover the failure with more slogans.

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:12 - 27 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is is a plan to demonise the MSM (for harassing a good father for only doing what's right) to set up a fake news agenda and destroy public trust in the media? Stop sniggering at the back Laughing

I see murmurings of this already.

Soon as the news turns away from Commie Corbyn and starts reporting on what's actually important - the actions of our current government - the entire thing is branded as 'fake news'.

Another snippet of Trumpism gleefully skipping our way.

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:13 - 27 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think there's an awful lot of people who couldn't care less.

My in-laws however are absolutely raging about this, despite it in no way affecting them at all.
Oh, and their other daughter who lives 5 minutes round the corner from them has been walking the dog round to their house for a chat in the garden throughout the entire lock down.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:36 - 27 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

The hypocrisy is rife in everyone.

We all feel we have good reasons to break lockdown so we do it. It's just most of us wouldn't rate a line in the local free rag so don't have to worry about being naughty.

They should have had much more specific rules, no wishy washy you can do this if etc. and then enforced them but hey, it is what it is.

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:46 - 27 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

We all feel we have good reasons to break lockdown so we do it. It's just most of us wouldn't rate a line in the local free rag so don't have to worry about being naughty.

They should have had much more specific rules, no wishy washy you can do this if etc. and then enforced them but hey, it is what it is.

I think the obvious factor here is that Cummings (and any other person holding positions of that kind) is supposed to properly represent the rules that their job is to govern.

Similar to how people every day will speed on the road if they can get away with it, but if a traffic copper is caught doing it he'll have a hell of a lot to answer for, far more than just a fine.

So yes, Cummings etc are human, but they chose a particular job and should be held to stricter standards for that reason alone.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 15:48 - 27 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diggs wrote:

The real coup for the spin-machine would be to get people to feel so sorry for Cummings that he gets his own special clap on a Thursday night Smile

We could all go out and slow clap him.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:58 - 27 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's beyond parody
See: https://www.wired.co.uk/article/dominic-cummings-blog-pandemic

“Last year I wrote about the possible threat of coronaviruses and the urgent need for planning,” he told reporters at a press conference on Monday.

Except that the Internet Archive’s Wayback Machine has proved that the only possible source of this writing - Cummings' blog - was edited to include this info after he returned from Durham Rolling Eyes

And BTW - why has nobody apparently asked the question as to why his wife couldn't have driven the family back to London if need be, rather than having the infamous 'eye-test' drive to Barnard Castle?

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:15 - 27 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord Percy wrote:

I think the obvious factor here is that Cummings (and any other person holding positions of that kind) is supposed to properly represent the rules that their job is to govern.

Similar to how people every day will speed on the road if they can get away with it, but if a traffic copper is caught doing it he'll have a hell of a lot to answer for, far more than just a fine.

So yes, Cummings etc are human, but they chose a particular job and should be held to stricter standards for that reason alone.

Could he have thought that as he doesn't hold a ministerial position, he'd be out of the limelight?

My take is, yes, he behaved stupidly, but, most people understand why we have the rules and guidelines in place, and won't see his actions as a reason to violate those rules themselves. After all, they are there for a reason. It'd be daft to risk yourself because some other idiot did. I do think the media and others are on a witch hunt too though. That just seems to be the way things are done these days, and no one is neutral anymore - no non-partisan commentators. People who don't like DC want him gone. People who don't like Boris want him gone, and will look for any excuse to engineer his downfall. At the moment, the Tories are in government, so it's all focussed on them, but if Labour were in office, I'd bet it wouldn't be any different, especially if Corbyn were still their leader.

Starmer otoh...dunno. Still a bit of a dark horse to me, and probably too early to call. I'm much more interested to see how he pans out as leader of the opposition, and the interplay between him and Boris in more normal times.

Certainly the govt. haven't handled this well as far as public perception is concerned.

But do we really need all the exaggerated rage from certain quarters?! Call for the chap's resignation if you feel he should, and then let's get back to the important stuff that is affecting everyone every day right now. Then we can vote for someone else at the next election if it bothers us that much. Isn't that how we're supposed to do these things in a democracy?

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:34 - 27 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:

But do we really need all the exaggerated rage from certain quarters?!

If he had done the decent thing and fallen on his sword (or laptop in his case...) then I'd agree. Trouble is, he didn't and the Government are backing him up. This is despite his tale containing more holes than Stephen Waldorf's mini. By backing him up, the Government has made it more of a 'thing' than it should have been and put itself in the line of fire...

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 17:03 - 27 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diggs wrote:
Stephen Waldorf's mini.

Bloody hell, that's an obscure reference. Pleased I got it.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:05 - 27 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I quite agree the handling of the whole thing has been abysmal. But the reason I have little affection for the rage-haters is the way people, and especially the media have reacted. Did you see Little Ms. Meritless on Newsnight last night, and especially her introduction? More of an opinion piece than news reporting. I wish the media would step back from this style a bit. It is very polarising, and not at all helpful. The BBC especially, as a publicly financed institution, should be far more neutral than this. Or at least, should act less indignant, as if it were all a personal insult aimed at them. No wonder people call for the abolition of the licence fee. They're really not doing themselves any favours. The media do not represent the public, and should stop pretending they do.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:49 - 27 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't actually know anyone that really gives too much of a sh1t about what he did except maybe for the 'drive to test my eyesight' Laughing

However the media won't drop it unless they get another juicer carcass to chew on.

I'm just fed up with the whole lot of them TBH although I have a feeling someone is approaching my Diane Abbott level of dislike - Laura Kuenssberg, take a bow you sanctimonious whining little bitch.

Im-a-Ridah
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:56 - 27 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Diggs wrote:

We could all go out and slow clap him.

His name is Mr Cummings.

Cum for Cummings on Thursday night right after carers are given the clap Pass the popcorn

Bloggsy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 19:00 - 27 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok Cummings did not follow the rules but neither did a lot of peeps, I really don't give a flying fuck what he did it seem's a bit like a witch hunt. Thumbs Up

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:36 - 27 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

No, it isn't.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 19:58 - 27 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bloggsy wrote:
Ok Cummings did not follow the rules but neither did a lot of peeps, I really don't give a flying fuck what he did it seem's a bit like a witch hunt. Thumbs Up

100% if he wasn't such a dick.

But he is. So schadenfreude all the way.

Burn the witch.

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:58 - 27 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

God this section has got dull now "-" has left.

I miss the good old days, log in to a daily fite on tap Sad
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 336 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7