Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

The Cummings affair

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:13 - 26 May 2020    Post subject: The Cummings affair Reply with quote

Not for the first time I am confused by the actions of our Government. As a result of what will become known as the 'Cummings Weekend' when the UK population stopped social distancing, in two weeks time we will see a large rise in the 'R' rate of COVID. This rise will put us back to where we started, just at the time most of Europe is coming out of the mess. This in turn will lead to more deaths and a longer period of economic stagnation, thus a longer recession. Cummings is a lying cockwomble without a doubt, because nobody goes for a drive to test their eyes. Our Government knows this, yet is prepared to put all that has been achieved over the last 10 weeks at risk to keep him in his job. I am confused as to why. Answers on a postcard please...

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:44 - 26 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

It doesn't bother me what he did or didn't do, as far as his trip goes, I imagine he did maintain social distancing etc. My only issue is that he didn't really follow the regulations that he had helped draft in the first place. To be fair, all it really highlights is that the lockdown was brought in so the lowest common denominator in society is catered for. If a high enough proportion of the population was bright enough to stick to social/physical distancing and basic hygiene, there would never have been the need for a lockdown in the first place. Instead, we now have a significant size of the population that are shit scared of virtually their own shadow if it's not wearing a mask !!

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 08:47 - 26 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a choice of maintaining moderate levels of infection now or period of quiet then second large spike in autumn. We appear to be going for the former.

By keeping the tail of the curve reasonably fat, you reduce the chances of a second large spike and land uop with more of a bulge. Drop it to zero and we start again from where we were in Febuary. This virus is not going to go away. All you achieve by dropping cases to as very low level is keep your population vulnerable to re-infection.

There is currently no way of reducing the total number of cases a country is likely to have. All we can do is affect when they happen.

cdlxxvi
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 10:07 - 26 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Epidemic effects aside, the silver lining is the final collapse of the "people's government" myth.

It is now abundantly clear that one set of rules exists for "people" and another for "government".
Any of us would suffer severe penalties for breaking lockdown rules, but if the rule-breaker is Johnson's Toadwart, not only will he suffer no consequences - he will have members of the ruling caste up to and including PM explaining to us mortals why the rules don't apply to him.

I'm not expecting miracles here, but maybe at least a small number of hitherto Johnson-supporting people will now have a 2nd (or even a first) thought.

Ayrton
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:25 - 26 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Makes me wonder why I'm still not allowed to leave my home in Wales when people in the government are driving hundreds of miles while they have the virus. I cant decide if what he did was acceptable or not, but it definitely shows how confusing the rules are.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:26 - 26 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm fed up with the whole do as I say, not as I do amongst all those in power.

Some Liberal peer has been furloughing himself while claiming expenses from the house of lords.

You have Cummings and Boris's total support of his idiocy (or is it arrogance).

You have the media people acting like rabid wolves trying to take people down (sorry Wolves, no insult meant to you).

Look at the social distancing from the people howling about Cummings and social distancing. Rolling Eyes

https://www.facebook.com/WeAreAPW/videos/706193466863770/?t=0

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRNVBYKMZOLbuQ8udCQueTxmBrRrLCGDkPqQd_bzu2pKqBQTk-Tn4oqvuo

barrkel
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:53 - 26 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
This virus is not going to go away

To the degree that a country believes this, it risks being cut off from countries which have controlled the virus, where it has in fact gone away.

The cut off needn't be absolute, it'll likely be quarantines.

The virus has nasty long-term effects on some survivors. Mortality has been the headline item, and sure, young people don't die, but it looks like many survivors of all ages end up with permanent lung damage and other ailments. It's also concerning that the virus affects the nervous system. What long term affects there?

If the UK isn't able to control this, and goes full on Trump, does it make sense to stay in this country?

The latest I've seen indicates that spread is dominated by superspreaders, i.e. that most encounters don't end up being particularly infectious, but some individuals seem to be much, much more infectious than others. If that's the case, it may be feasible to track them. Superspreaders could be why the virus has affected some countries much more than others. If you just have to quench the hottest sparks to stop the conflagration, there's hope.

(Personally I don't take my cue from the government. I'm not staying indoors because the government says so; I'm staying in on my own account. I'll go on e.g. motorbike rides once those restrictions end, but I'm not going back to the office or restaurants or theatres any time soon, not until we have a lot more information about short and long term risks, prevalence, treatment, etc.)

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:15 - 26 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ayrton wrote:
Makes me wonder why I'm still not allowed to leave my home in Wales when people in the government are driving hundreds of miles while they have the virus. I cant decide if what he did was acceptable or not, but it definitely shows how confusing the rules are.

I don't see any great harm whether it broke guidelines or not if he stayed in a separate cottage at parents farm and effectively drove straight there.
Prince Charles went to Balmoral while he had it that must have been OK.

Why do we need eleventy million photos of DC at his house, and putting stuff in his car. We know what he looks like.
And why was it OK to clearly show the car number plates.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:34 - 26 May 2020    Post subject: Re: The Cummings affair Reply with quote

Diggs wrote:
Not for the first time I am confused by the actions of our Government.

Are you? Are you really confused? Laughing

Quote:
As a result of what will become known as the 'Cummings Weekend' when the UK population stopped social distancing, in two weeks time we will see a large rise in the 'R' rate of COVID. This rise will put us back to where we started, just at the time most of Europe is coming out of the mess. This in turn will lead to more deaths and a longer period of economic stagnation, thus a longer recession. Cummings is a lying cockwomble without a doubt

I presume this is all fact, before it has happened? Laughing

If Cummings is obviously a lying cockwomble, then why do you think that everyone will respond to what he has done in a way that will put them at risk? Is everyone just waiting to go out and risk catching the virus at the first opportunity, but just need an excuse from government? Are you now going to go out and ignore the fact of the virus' existence, because of the actions of Dominic Cummings? Laughing

What he has done makes no difference to the situation we are all in. Get over it. Vote for someone else at the next election, which I presume you are going to do anyway.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:40 - 26 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

barrkel wrote:
The latest I've seen indicates that spread is dominated by superspreaders, i.e. that most encounters don't end up being particularly infectious, but some individuals seem to be much, much more infectious than others. If that's the case, it may be feasible to track them. Superspreaders could be why the virus has affected some countries much more than others. If you just have to quench the hottest sparks to stop the conflagration, there's hope.

Yes, they found this with AIDS. A handful of highly promiscuous ppl (literally just dozens) were accounting for 95% of the spread in a country. And so it is with Covid. If reports are to be believed, Italy's Patient Zero was a delivery driver: told to stay and home and isolate but carried on working anyway.

Thing is the UK would be a very easy place to stamp out Covid 100%. Machine gun nests on the beaches to take out any unapproved dinghies and isolate everyone who steps off a plane or boat.

Unfortunately we have a government more interested in individual freedom than safety. As evidenced by this debacle Sad

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:34 - 26 May 2020    Post subject: Re: The Cummings affair Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:

I really am. We aren't the most socially responsible of species, and we have been cooped up for 10 weeks. What did the Government expect would happen when choosing to agree with Cummings' interpretation of his own lockdown rules, plus the rather strange bit about going for a 30 mile drive with his family in the car to test his eyesight?

It isn't the actions of Cummings that confuses me so much because whilst I think he was wrong to do what he did, he is only human and we all do daft things. However, in doing daft things we accept that there may be consequences. It is the considered response of the Government that I don't understand.

As for voting in the next election, you are correct in your assumption that I won't vote for the BoJo/Cummings dream-team, because I don't trust the pair of them to act in anybody's interests other than their own kind.

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:45 - 26 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

barrkel wrote:
stinkwheel wrote:
This virus is not going to go away

To the degree that a country believes this, it risks being cut off from countries which have controlled the virus, where it has in fact gone away.

The virus has nasty long-term effects on some survivors. Mortality has been the headline item, and sure, young people don't die, but it looks like many survivors of all ages end up with permanent lung damage and other ailments. It's also concerning that the virus affects the nervous system. What long term affects there?

If the UK isn't able to control this, and goes full on Trump, does it make sense to stay in this country?

(Personally I don't take my cue from the government. I'm not staying indoors because the government says so; I'm staying in on my own account. I'll go on e.g. motorbike rides once those restrictions end, but I'm not going back to the office or restaurants or theatres any time soon, not until we have a lot more information about short and long term risks, prevalence, treatment, etc.)

I agree with stinkwheel, the virus is likely to become endemic, and we'll have to learn to live with it. Again, you can reduce your risk of catching it greatly, by maintaining physical distancing and keeping clean. If you touch a hard surface, cash, (ooh, the prospect of a cashless society has come so much closer, at last !!), shopping basket, etc before touching your face, specifically, eyes, nose and mouth, wash your hands, added benefits will be you'll be less likely to catch other virus infections as well. As I see, as far as going to pubs, restaurants etc, goes, needn't be excessively risky, even less so if eating alfresco, or using a beer garden. Have a look at the video Wetherspoons have made setting out how they will mange once they are allowed to open, I am sure other venues will take a similar route. As for going on motorbike rides, the restrictions have effectively been removed in the England for a good couple of weeks now, so, long as your travel is within England.

Hiding indoors hoping to wait until it's passed, is not a way to live, exist, yes, live, no. There is lot's of talk of vaccines, but none as yet are ready, if infact any ever will be.

Im-a-Ridah
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:53 - 26 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm never going to vote Labour or Lib Dem Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:57 - 26 May 2020    Post subject: Re: The Cummings affair Reply with quote

Diggs wrote:
chickenstrip wrote:

I really am...

Sorry, I'm already bored with the subject Laughing
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:57 - 26 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
As a result of what will become known as the 'Cummings Weekend' when the UK population stopped social distancing, in two weeks time we will see a large rise in the 'R' rate of COVID. This rise will put us back to where we started, just at the time most of Europe is coming out of the mess. This in turn will lead to more deaths and a longer period of economic stagnation, thus a longer recession.

There is a difference, now compared to where we were at the beginning of the outbreak, it appears more people understand, and exercise social distancing and have improved personal hygiene, plus, there are significant numbers who have been scared that much, they are still refusing to leave the house. Alas, you don't have to look far to see that there are still plenty of stupid people out there, ranging from, those that are grouping together, to those that feel the need to wear a face mask in their own car when they are alone !! However, the R number shouldn't increase as sharply as it did previously, and as such, we shouldn't hit that 2nd surge/peak, but instead probably keep the curve of new infections relatively flat.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 13:40 - 26 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

barrkel wrote:

Still not convinced. The trouble with this one is that by the time you SEE cases creeping up (even into double figures) the battle is lost and you are already on your way to a spike in cases. Illegal immigrants move at will throughout Europe and even cross the channel.

We come down to the old urinary argument. Better to have it inside pissing out than outside pissing in.

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:03 - 26 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
Thing is the UK would be a very easy place to stamp out Covid 100%. Machine gun nests on the beaches to take out any unapproved dinghies and isolate everyone who steps off a plane or boat.

Unfortunately we have a government more interested in individual freedom than safety. As evidenced by this debacle Sad

I don't think personal freedom is a bad thing. I think the issue with government after government has been a total unwillingness to protect the citizens of this country and put their welfare first. Hence the ineffectual border force, the lack of deportations of illegal immigrants including those that are convicted criminals.
A longer term problem is sub-societies that have been allowed to exist without integration and the resultant divided communities.
These issues don't improve the country as a place to live.

Edit: As for DC, I'm glad I wasn't in the position he was in having to make those decisions. Were there any direct issues resulting from what he did... nope. Did he actually break social distancing... nope. Do the press hate him because of Brexit... oh hell yes.

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:17 - 26 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interesting analysis of Cummings here:

https://youtu.be/q-mRsZW4lY8

What I find interesting is a point that the video makes, and which is fleshed out a bit by the following comment:

Quote:
The irony is that Dominic Cummings has no real love for the Conservative Party. He just ascertained that they were the best and easiest vehicle for him to propagate his agenda and gain political influence. I can just see him opportunistically whooing dinosaurs like Gove and Johnson with pitches based around data science, predictive analytics and modelling.

Cummings is known for his hatred of "the system" as a whole, and in a sense you could say that his successes so far are quite commendable. He truly has infiltrated the machinery of UK government and become a very important puller of strings, without being elected at any point. Quite a feat!

The big question is: What does he want to do next? What's his final goal? At what point will he be able to sit back and claim that his mission is complete?

I still can't even decide if he's a good guy or a bad guy at this point. WTF is he actually up to Thinking . Probably time to spend a while reading all his blog posts and articles.

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:27 - 26 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord Percy wrote:
Very interesting analysis of Cummings here:

https://youtu.be/q-mRsZW4lY8

What I find interesting is a point that the video makes, and which is fleshed out a bit by the following comment:

Quote:
The irony is that Dominic Cummings has no real love for the Conservative Party. He just ascertained that they were the best and easiest vehicle for him to propagate his agenda and gain political influence. I can just see him opportunistically whooing dinosaurs like Gove and Johnson with pitches based around data science, predictive analytics and modelling.

Cummings is known for his hatred of "the system" as a whole, and in a sense you could say that his successes so far are quite commendable. He truly has infiltrated the machinery of UK government and become a very important puller of strings, without being elected at any point. Quite a feat!

The big question is: What does he want to do next? What's his final goal? At what point will he be able to sit back and claim that his mission is complete?

I still can't even decide if he's a good guy or a bad guy at this point. WTF is he actually up to Thinking . Probably time to spend a while reading all his blog posts and articles.

Does anyone really love the Conservative party? When New Labour under Blair moved away from being a socialist party and occupied the same middle ground they won repeatedly, when they moved back and then further on to become the communists reborn party....

Val
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:27 - 26 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI in 1970s when in a high school living in communist dictature Bulgaria I was giving Britain as an example of fair play and the rule of law.

https://i.imgur.com/MkwvI11.jpg

I am British now and Cummings and Johnson's sheer arrogance this week makes a total mockery of British fair play and the rule of law.

To say I am angry will be a huge understatement.

For those asking the question “What rules and law did Cummings break?"

Lockdown no travel rules.
Health Provisions Act (Corona Virus) (England) 2020.
Road Traffic Act 1988 (S96).

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:32 - 26 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Val wrote:
FYI in 1970s when in a high school living in communist dictature Bulgaria I was giving Britain as an example of fair play and the rule of law.

https://i.imgur.com/MkwvI11.jpg

I am British now and Cummings and Johnson's sheer arrogance this week makes a total mockery of British fair play and the rule of law.

To say I am angry will be a huge understatement.

For those asking the question “What rules and law did Cummings break?"

Lockdown no travel rules.
Health Provisions Act (Corona Virus) (England) 2020.
Road Traffic Act 1988 (S96).

Ahh, the woman who was a close friend and lobbied for Jimmy SAville to get a knighthood, cracking example there Val.. I appreciate that you are are a non native memberof our community, however, before posting, it would probably be a good idea to research your social references a little better.

Laughing Laughing

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:45 - 26 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTTD wrote:
Were there any direct issues resulting from what he did... nope.

This is the heart of the matter. He may or may not have spread the disease - we'll never know. The direct issue is the reaction by the Government to their boy being caught doing something he shouldn't, plus the reaction to his story about taking a spin in his car with his wife and nipper, to see if he was safe to drive.

The indirect issue is the message it sent to a public craving release from lockdown.

It is all about competency and consistency in decision making, or in this case a lack of....

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 15:17 - 26 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ones making the rules have to be seen to scrupulously follow those rules.

Everyone is a hypocrite in some way but they should be seen to set an example. In this case the example cummface has set is a particularly poor one and he should be held to account.

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:05 - 26 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the "they're only human" excuse for people holding the highest offices in the land is utterly naive. They should be held to extremely high standards. People from all walks of life, especially in the higher ranks of other professions and industries, are often struck off for far less. Politics has this horrible emotional-attached element where all kinds of excuses are made to justify what is plainly a sackable offence.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:10 - 26 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think he should be PM.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 329 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7