Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Street Triple - crazy insurance

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Quickly
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 17:34 - 26 May 2020    Post subject: Street Triple - crazy insurance Reply with quote

Insurance quote for a 2010 Street Triple 675... £5300
Insurance quote for a 2016 XSR900... £1800

It's a consistent pattern. Almost all quotes including 600cc sports bikes, brand new KT-09s etc etc are about £1800. Then the Stripple is three times dearer. What's that all about?

(FYI quote is based on living in a dodgyish part of south London, license for ten years, no NCB due to lack of riding for the past four years, and one claim to report (non-fault theft, bike recovered))

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:38 - 26 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Light fingered twats love them, and had no stock immobiliser for a long time.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 19:46 - 26 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well a 2010 has ZERO immobiliser. That will get robbed within a day or two. You can steal one by wiggling the handlebars to break the lock, then pull the plastic cap off the bottom of the ignition and turn it, or if you want quick and easy, cut the wiring going into it and twist all together.

Your choices are to ride something less wanted, or move.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Vracktal
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:15 - 26 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

More nickable than traffic cones and found in ditches at the side of the road as often.

Quickly
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 21:17 - 26 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Other colourful ways of describing it's likelihood for theft still invited. Laughing

Pothole
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 21:43 - 26 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always use to want a street or a speed but the insurance was high and I ended up buying a R6 as it was massively cheaper. I was advised the Speeds and streets were so high because they had a high theft rate especially in London. Crashed my R6 back in 2012 and got back on a bike for first time last summer (19). Ended up buying a 03 speed triple, fully comp I think it’s around £300

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:56 - 26 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

8 years NBC, 2010 Street Triple, not currently residing in a posh gated community and I just paid £62. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Pothole
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 21:57 - 26 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

recman wrote:
8 years NBC, 2010 Street Triple, not currently residing in a posh gated community and I just paid £62. Laughing
i just put mine down to having not no claims

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 08:03 - 27 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Street Triples are massive theft magnets.

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:20 - 27 May 2020    Post subject: Re: Street Triple - crazy insurance Reply with quote

Quickly wrote:
£1800

I actually wouldn't bother owning a bike at that cost. Or would 3rd party it to the address of a friendly rural dweller, buy very cheap bike that thieves dislike and just not claim if it is nicked.

For perspective even with a fault claim now against me I pay (slightly) less than that in insurance for a Mini, IQ, GSXR1000, ZZR600 and a Royal Enfield CGT. Rural postcode, vehicle crime here is the occasional pissed off wife keying the car of whatever local mattress let their husband have a bounce.

Irezumi
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 10:42 - 27 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends where you are in South London, best advice genuinely is to move. Where will the bike be kept, garage, garden, the road?

Secondly would be to buy a 'project bike' if you have a garden/garage. Doesnt matter if it doesnt work, get it insured and get your NCB going.

Quickly
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 11:40 - 27 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just accepted that I'll have to pay a ridiculous insurance premium for a year or so. This time next year I'll have 1 yr NCB, 1 yr continuous riding and no reportable claims.

The bike would be kept in a locked metal cage within a locked underground parking garage beneath my apartment block at the back of a private complex.

I'm willing to just accept the £1800ish insurance premium as part of the cost of buying the bike. When I last owned a bike I was earning about a third of what I'm on now, so relatively speaking it's not too painful.

Quickly
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 11:42 - 27 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure if I'll buy a (desired) bike now as I'm saving up for other things. If I do, it will be the XSR900. If I don't, I'll buy something undesirable as someone else suggested for a grand and just accrue the NCB.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:51 - 27 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quickly wrote:
I'll buy something undesirable as someone else suggested for a grand and just accrue the NCB.

So depressing to hear people say this, because of theft risk and insurance cost Sad
The world we live in, I guess.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:14 - 27 May 2020    Post subject: Re: Street Triple - crazy insurance Reply with quote

wr6133 wrote:
.. vehicle crime here is the occasional pissed off wife keying the car of whatever local mattress let their husband have a bounce.

That still happens does it? Seems I miss all the fun. Rolling Eyes

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:18 - 27 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
Quickly wrote:
I'll buy something undesirable as someone else suggested for a grand and just accrue the NCB.

So depressing to hear people say this, because of theft risk and insurance cost Sad

I'm sure there are plenty of bikes that are a hoot to ride, but owing to fugliness or some other random attribute, aren't especially desirable to a theif?

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:31 - 27 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThunderGuts wrote:
chickenstrip wrote:

I'm sure there are plenty of bikes that are a hoot to ride, but owing to fugliness or some other random attribute, aren't especially desirable to a theif?

Yeah, but doesn't change my point.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:46 - 27 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
Quickly wrote:

Totally agree. Pisses me off that I need to cover the bike and have 3 different chains literally bolted to the ground because of small minded TWOCing bastards want 10 minutes of fun with someone else’s property.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:34 - 27 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quickly wrote:
I have just accepted that I'll have to pay a ridiculous insurance premium for a year or so. This time next year I'll have 1 yr NCB, 1 yr continuous riding and no reportable claims.

Just don't be assuming that it'll be massively cheaper next year even if you keep your nose clean - most insurers seem to build in a discount to the year 1 premium cost to attract your business (assuming they want it) so the price for year 2 isn't much different

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:03 - 27 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

xX-Alex-Xx wrote:

Totally agree. Pisses me off that I need to cover the bike and have 3 different chains literally bolted to the ground because of small minded TWOCing bastards want 10 minutes of fun with someone else’s property.

I know. Sad It takes me the best part of 10 minutes to get my bike from it's hibernation area to a place where I can ride it, all due to the security measures I've had to put in place. I tolerate the situation because I don't want the thing going missing . . .

Qyburn
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 16:11 - 27 May 2020    Post subject: Re: Street Triple - crazy insurance Reply with quote

Quickly wrote:

How about going third party only? That insurance premium almost pays for a new bike anyway.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:57 - 27 May 2020    Post subject: Re: Street Triple - crazy insurance Reply with quote

Qyburn wrote:
Quickly wrote:

How about going third party only? That insurance premium almost pays for a new bike anyway.

Surely nobody actually pays a premium like that do they? Isn't that what's commonly known as a 'fuck-off price'?

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 19:09 - 27 May 2020    Post subject: Re: Street Triple - crazy insurance Reply with quote

Qyburn wrote:
Quickly wrote:

So, throw money away?

Third party on a bike that is probably the easiest bike to steal.

Laughing

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:49 - 27 May 2020    Post subject: Re: Street Triple - crazy insurance Reply with quote

Quote:

So, throw money away?

Third party on a bike that is probably the easiest bike to steal.

Laughing

As opposed to paying the value of the bike each and every year to the insurance company, and have it probably double if you ever claimed for it getting nicked?

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:26 - 27 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speak to an insurance company directly and see if they can do better because of your circumstances. Internet is a tool not a solution.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 327 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2