Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

on line beam calcs - anyone used them?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF...
View previous topic : View next topic  

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:49 - 03 Jun 2020    Post subject: on line beam calcs - anyone used them? Reply with quote

Specifically - want to knowck through kitchen/diner - complies with this scenario.

https://www.beamcalculation.co.uk/calculations/beam-supporting-internal-wall-ceiling-first-floor

Have been chasing local SE for weeks but either not interested or too busy or got lergie. In fact there's other more tricky calcs needed from him for loft but I figured I could crack on with this smaller job in meantime.

Thoughts?

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:45 - 03 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Assuming this is a supporting wall, I would suggest you wait for your SE, or find another one. Without wanting to sound patronising, but there's quite a bit going on with this sort of thing. The calculations on supporting the wall above with a beam are relatively simple (once you know the dead and live loads from above, which will depend on the construction of the building), but it's the "in situ" factors which can complicate matters, so things like what you're tying that beam into, what state the masonry is in, what it's going into, i.e. what are the foundations like as it's going to concentrate the load somewhat (although if you've got a floor void, the solid wall underneath with dissipate the load somewhat before it reaches the foundations).

Apart from the practical side of things, I would expect a hard time if you ever have structural movement and try to claim on insurance / sell the property etc. as you won't have any professional indemnity to cover it.

I'd find another SE if you're finding your current one useless.

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:12 - 03 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree.

Part of the reason why your SE charges more than this website does is because his fee covers his PI. If there is a problem, your SE will assess whether to take a 'tickle' (i.e. pay you some money to make the problem go away) or refer the matter to his insurer. You won't get any of this with an anonymous website.

Something else to think about is what happens when you come to sell. You will have to declare that you have carried out the work, and the purchase's solicitor will insist that you produce paperwork to show that it was carried out in accordance with Building Regs. If you can't produce this you may have to accept a lower asking price. I don't know whether Building Control will accept a calc from this website, whereas it will from your SE.

A traditional alternative is to ask your builder to do the work using over-spec steel, then pretend it was like that when you bought it if anybody asks. Not recommended however.

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:22 - 03 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diggs wrote:
Something else to think about is what happens when you come to sell. You will have to declare that you have carried out the work, and the purchase's solicitor will insist that you produce paperwork to show that it was carried out in accordance with Building Regs. If you can't produce this you may have to accept a lower asking price. I don't know whether Building Control will accept a calc from this website, whereas it will from your SE.

Building control won't accept it; they'd want to see something that demonstrates it's been constructed in line with current requirements.

In terms of selling, probable sequence of events would be the question would get asked about the alterations during the survey, this would then get picked up on by increasingly risk-averse lenders, in turn they'd require a structural engineer to do an assessment . . . don't be surprised if the buyer asks you to arrange this. In practice, if it was sufficiently "over-egged" in the design then an SE in such a scenario would probably sign it off as being "structurally adequate but unlikely to comply with building regulations", then you start talking about indemnity policies.

It all gets a bit messy; any alterations aren't cheap, the SE component is the most important element and removes all these problems from further down the line.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:24 - 03 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I agree its not preferred but I don't think they are anonymous.

Build Calcs Ltd is a UK registered company run by Kevin Taylor and Nick Walker.

9 Hollies Farm Drive,
Horsley Woodhouse,
Derbyshire,
DE7 6JW.

One of the notes states..

If queries on the design related to the work undertaken by Build Calcs Ltd are raised by the Building Control Officer, we will deal with these as quickly and efficiently as possible. There will not normally be any additional charge for this work. If additional information is requested by the Building Control Officer which in our opinion is either unnecessary or couldn’t have been foreseen at the time the order was placed, then we reserve the right to make an additional charge for this work. Build Calcs Ltd is under no obligation to provide information requested by the Building Control Officer which in our opinion is either unnecessary or couldn’t have been foreseen at the time the order was placed.

Agreed it is a risk that you as the data entry guy have to get things spot on. House is 50s solid brick construction fwiw.

For 50 quid it's not a high risk if BCO says no..

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:30 - 03 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get that, but all they're doing is providing a calculation based upon the parameters you provide to them. As I mention in my original post, the issue is all the other aspects that will be particular to your property that are more complex and is where the more general expertise of a SE comes in. Their T&Cs specifically states their liability is limited to the calculations they provide.

Their T&Cs wrote:
6.1 Build Calcs Ltd cannot be held responsible for any other parts of the structure other than the specifics we have designed for and will not make any assessment of any other element of the structure.

6.2 You should ensure all information provided is correct. Build Calcs Ltd will not be held liable in the event of the input of erroneous or incorrect information by the consumer, nor the incorrect interpretation of information provided. We accept no responsibility for a design which is used for a project different to the one it was intended for.

6.3 Whilst Build Calcs Ltd provide notes for guidance of the consumer in the purchase of individual calculations, these notes do not form any form of instruction for the implementation of the construction or installation of beams and should not be treated as such. Professional guidance should be sought in the event of any queries.

They even point out that this is only a guidance tool and isn't intended to replace an SE.

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:00 - 03 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reading that extract from the T&Cs, it looks like the company has place so many caveats on the product that it is effectively worthless...

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:16 - 03 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I written to the local SE - again..

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:21 - 03 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good move. Thumbs Up

Raffles
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:11 - 03 Jun 2020    Post subject: Re: on line beam calcs - anyone used them? Reply with quote

A100man wrote:
Specifically - want to knowck through kitchen/diner...

I'm doing the same thing in the next week or so.
I knew what was required but chose to employ the services of a local SE for the reasons that others have already stated.
Mine cost £150 + VAT. That's not a lot of money for future peace of mind.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:58 - 03 Jun 2020    Post subject: Re: on line beam calcs - anyone used them? Reply with quote

Raffles wrote:
A100man wrote:
Specifically - want to knowck through kitchen/diner...

I'm doing the same thing in the next week or so.
I knew what was required but chose to employ the services of a local SE for the reasons that others have already stated.
Mine cost £150 + VAT. That's not a lot of money for future peace of mind.

Yeah, Id be quite happy with that if I could get hold of the bloke..spoke to him once on the phone beginning of last month but now zippo. Does you guy travel Wink

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:41 - 04 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're struggling to find other SEs, you could try speaking to a local estate agent; SEs are often needed as part of house purchases so they'll probably have a few they know of locally that are "tame".

Oh, and look for one that is chartered (CEng) and MIStructE (member of the institution of structural engineers), or even FIStructE (fellow). Demonstrates some level of competency.

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:16 - 04 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or ring the Building Inspector and ask if he can give you a name of somebody local and reliable. He can't recommend anybody but he can suggest where you can look...

Raffles
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:57 - 04 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I realise that this is slightly off-topic but my beam arrived today and I just had to share:-

https://i.postimg.cc/d3rM7g24/IMG-1024-1.jpg

I'm sooooooo excited Bounce!

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:19 - 04 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool so that's a 3396 mm span . How deep is it (8" ?) and what's it supporting?
What are the holes for ? sorry for all the Qs..

Raffles
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:21 - 04 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

A100man wrote:

It's 6'' deep and it will be supporting very little. Above it is just a spare bedroom with a stud wall. The beam will be inserted into a space cut through the joists rather than placed underneath them.
The holes are to affix timbers into the webs on each side of the beam. Joist hangers will be attached to these timbers and the beam will then be raised to fit into the gap cut into the joists above.
I do hope that make sense?

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:29 - 05 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a nice looking beam, but there's a bit of pointing needed on that wall. Wink

Raffles
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:35 - 05 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThunderGuts wrote:
It's a nice looking beam, but there's a bit of pointing needed on that wall. Wink

It's getting rendered as soon as the cowboys can fit me in!

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:31 - 05 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raffles wrote:
A100man wrote:

It's 6'' deep and it will be supporting very little. Above it is just a spare bedroom with a stud wall. The beam will be inserted into a space cut through the joists rather than placed underneath them.
The holes are to affix timbers into the webs on each side of the beam. Joist hangers will be attached to these timbers and the beam will then be raised to fit into the gap cut into the joists above.
I do hope that make sense?

Perfect sense - all very interesting and no hump in the downstairs ceiling Thumbs Up

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:04 - 24 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try Autodesk Force Effect its an Android app by Auto desk. It's interesting if nothing else.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 243 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1