Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Tell me about O-rings...

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF...
View previous topic : View next topic  

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:53 - 06 Jun 2020    Post subject: Tell me about O-rings... Reply with quote

My shower is dripping and am pretty sure this will be resolved by simply replacing a rubber O-ring or two within the valve. Mira Showers will sell me a 'seal pack' for about £20, which will no doubt do the job but makes for an expensive O-ring!

I can't find out the specification for the O-rings concerned, though - how does that work? Are there a limited number of sizes, like M6, M12, M20 nuts and bolts? Or are they unlimited? Presumably the thickness of the rubber as well as the ID and OD can vary. I was thinking of buying a kit like this one for now and future use: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/111241086598 - can I guarantee that will include what I need? I don't want to end up shoving in something which isn't quite right, reassembling everything and either finding out it still leaks, or it blows and floods the bathroom in a few months' time...

JackButler
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 16:23 - 06 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

IME some manufacturers are absolute BASTARDS when it comes time to servicing & know full well that the parts supply chain is far more lucrative financially than the actual product.

If you are in object denial of this . . . build a virtual motorcycle from the parts fiche'.

How long can you live without your shower? Strip out the offending seal & measure it with calipers. I can bet that it's either a unique or commonly rare size. They do this on purpose.

If/when you know what you want, & it's probably just a £0.03p bit of rubber, then you need to find someone who is willing to have a stock of 1000's of those bits of rubber laying around the place, will happily put one in an envelope, attach a first class stamp & then gamble that you won't totally deny you ever received it or even send the old knackered one back on the basis that I'm entitled to demand that a £0.03p bit of rubber to only cost me £0.03p when I want one.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:29 - 06 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

O-rings are sized by ID and section diameter usually. So measure the bottom of the groove and the width of the groove and you'll be close.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:02 - 06 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

If necessary get an o ring kit and make your own. OK, they aren't cheap but you can make any size and top up the kit with rubber string as necessary.

https://simplybearings.co.uk/shop/product_info.php?products_id=188022&vat_inc=true&gclid=Cj0KCQjw_ez2BRCyARIsAJfg-ksSjd7P5SP_QI8BLmJOUbAKu2SscG2qBZ_mzEhj9AwdeVe3btKo-1YaAuaLEALw_wcB

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:37 - 06 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought metric and imperial sets from Lidl and Aldi years ago. There's always a fit for whatever I need in one of the boxes.
I usually install them with a smidge of silicone grease.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:31 - 06 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get yourself a box of rubber O-rings from Ebay. You'll get lots of them in various metric ID and OD sizes. Comes in handy for lots of things. One of them will probably fit, and even if it doesn't, it will save you money on something, somewhere along the line. Also, a box of copper washers in various sizes.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:32 - 06 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I usually buy packs of 5 or 10 of the size I need from 'sealforce' on ebay.

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

steve the grease
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 19:09 - 06 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
If necessary get an o ring kit and make your own. OK, they aren't cheap but you can make any size and top up the kit with rubber string as necessary.

https://simplybearings.co.uk/shop/product_info.php?products_id=188022&vat_inc=true&gclid=Cj0KCQjw_ez2BRCyARIsAJfg-ksSjd7P5SP_QI8BLmJOUbAKu2SscG2qBZ_mzEhj9AwdeVe3btKo-1YaAuaLEALw_wcB

Simply bearings also sell loose or individual O rings , Suzuki wanted £7.99, ( just looked it up) for an O ring for my starter gear cover , Simply sold me 2 for about £2.50. ....

For water you just want Nitrile nothing particularly exotic. Parts are chosen on diameter and cross section 57x2 for example. The Lidl/ Aldi boxes are great except 1. they are only on sale when they are on sale and 2. Experience has taught me that most of the O rings are very ' fat' for the diameter. I have a metric box from Sealey and An Aldi box , they rarely fit anything, because I want ( lets say) 30x2.5 .... the one in the box is 30x5

I can't recommend Simplybearings enough, everything they sell they do well. Quick, easy , cheap, good. Get some cheap calipers and measure your o rings and you are away.

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:39 - 06 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I'm clueless about bearings, o-rings, split pins, c-clips ... I just go to my local shop where they deal with such things, show the part or old bearing, c-clip... to the lad behind the counter, and he gives me exactly what I need in a matter of minutes. Buying a box of various sizes of o-rings, c-clips... other bits is just stupid.

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:50 - 06 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

steve the grease wrote:
Polarbear wrote:

Simply bearings also sell loose or individual O rings , Suzuki wanted £7.99, ( just looked it up) for an O ring for my starter gear cover , Simply sold me 2 for about £2.50. ....

For water you just want Nitrile nothing particularly exotic. Parts are chosen on diameter and cross section 57x2 for example. The Lidl/ Aldi boxes are great except 1. they are only on sale when they are on sale and 2. Experience has taught me that most of the O rings are very ' fat' for the diameter. I have a metric box from Sealey and An Aldi box , they rarely fit anything, because I want ( lets say) 30x2.5 .... the one in the box is 30x5

I can't recommend Simplybearings enough, everything they sell they do well. Quick, easy , cheap, good. Get some cheap calipers and measure your o rings and you are away.

Nitrile providing the temperature doesn't go above 80 degrees.

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:22 - 07 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

RhynoCZ wrote:
When I'm clueless about bearings, o-rings, split pins, c-clips ... I just go to my local shop where they deal with such things, show the part or old bearing, c-clip... to the lad behind the counter, and he gives me exactly what I need in a matter of minutes. Buying a box of various sizes of o-rings, c-clips... other bits is just stupid.

It is if, like you say, you're clueless.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 315 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1