Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Limitations for long distance travel on a scooter?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Adame
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 11:27 - 08 Jun 2020    Post subject: Limitations for long distance travel on a scooter? Reply with quote

Hello all,

Since covid is going crazy and options for holidays are limited, a crazy idea of touring the UK on my Honda SH 125 came to my mind. (I betrayed motorcycles because of all the red lights in central London...)

I know a lot about motorcycles and have toured many countries (including all over SA Asia on a shitty 125), but I'm totally new to scooters/ mopeds.

My question is not about advice on doing it etc, but I have a very specific question of:

Are there any specific limitations/ problems/ issues/ things to look at/ etc. for scooters/moped when it comes to long distance travel I should know about (200/300miles a day?)? Or is it all the same as for traditional motorcycles?

thank you

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:39 - 08 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

200/300 miles a day sounds like a lot for touring on any machine (unless you're just trying to cover ground and are uninterested at looking at stuff), but you've done plenty of touring by the sounds of it so presumably are happy with lots of saddle time per day. In terms of scooter specifics, I don't have first hand knowledge but I'd imagine something to think about is ergonomics if you're spending many hours on one day in day out; can you shift position, how cramped are you etc.

I doubt with a modern 4 stroke scooter there are any mechanical issues, if anything the nature of scooters is such that the drivetrain is probably better protected from the inevitable wet days than a chain-driven motorcycle. The only other thing that springs to mind is if any of your riding would be (or could be) at night, what are the lights like? Seem to recall 125s (motorcycles or otherwise) tend to have slightly lack-lustre light outputs compared with bigger bikes

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:50 - 08 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you were doing 300 miles on a motorcycle in a day I'd say that was going some, unless you're planning to go somewhere just for the ride and not to bother seeing anything.

I've done quite a lot of 125/150cc scooter riding abroad - I can tell you now that 100 miles around the Amalfi Coast felt like a lifetime Laughing There's no way I'd want to do double that in a day.

But in answer to your actual question - no, I can't see any limitation per se. You could do it if you were that way inclined. Scooter maintenance would limit you a little if you cared for such things - what is the interval, 2500 miles? That's ten days riding before an oil change if your distances go to plan.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

spottedtango
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 11:54 - 08 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’d give it a service before the trip.

Keep an eye on the oil when you’re touring. Take a spare spark plug/ basic tools Bulbs etc.

You don’t want a bulb blowing in the north of Scotland. You can’t see fuck all at night with no moon.

Apart from that make sure your arse doesn’t go flat.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 12:26 - 08 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing specific, just as above, watch tyre wear and service intervals.

I bump into 14 and 15 year old Dutch kids nearly every Summer who've come over to Scotland to tour on their 25mph restricted mopeds.

Adame
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 12:35 - 08 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you for the replies

Of course the daily distance would probably be shorter, it was just for an idea (but we also have long days now)

I was more interesed in the mechanics of running a scooter for 6-7 hours a day at potentially higher speeds but ok, so you guys seems to say that it is pretty much the same as motorcycles

I was wondering about stuff like the belt, if it has any limitations like can't go on for few hours straight or something like that

thanks

p.s: Still I gotta admit that these scooters like SH seem way more trouble/ maintenance free than likes of YBR or CBF

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 12:48 - 08 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

It'll probably get less hard a time touring than it would as a pizza delivery/courier bike in town. Definately less hard than as a riding school bike doing CBTs every day.

Adame
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 13:22 - 08 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
It'll probably get less hard a time touring than it would as a pizza delivery/courier bike in town. Definately less hard than as a riding school bike doing CBTs every day.

I like that argument Thumbs Up

Skudd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:26 - 08 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the main limit will be your bum. 300 miles a day is a lot if you want to see things, but that's down to what you want from your travels.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Andy_Pagin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:19 - 08 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's anytrhing like my Old Vity you'll be stopping for fuel every ninety miles, that thing had a tank the size of a tupperware sandwich box.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:40 - 08 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_Pagin wrote:
If it's anytrhing like my Old Vity you'll be stopping for fuel every ninety miles, that thing had a tank the size of a tupperware sandwich box.

7 litre tank so yeah, you're talking ~130 miles tops I'd guess.

jeffyjeff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:32 - 08 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skudd wrote:
I think the main limit will be your bum. 300 miles a day is a lot if you want to see things, but that's down to what you want from your travels.

Ever hear of the North American Scooter Cannonball Run? These guys and gals are hardy riders!
https://scootercannonballrun.com/

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:23 - 09 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

2-300 is alot on a small machine and avoiding motorways. I did 220 miles yesterday (no motorways) on a 535 single, started at 0345 and was home by 1130, that included 7 stops totaling about max of 2 hours (photos and 1 coffee/leg over stop). Sustainable for a few days in a row? Yes but you'll be tired.

Take a spare belt along with the tools to lock the variator and remove the plate in order to change it. This is not something you can bodge, if that belt thrashes itself and you have no replacement, hello breakdown truck.

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:20 - 09 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this doesn't fit with the brief of big miles per day (and the OP has already stated they've done plenty of touring so seem to know what they want), but if I were touring on a low capacity machine (as I want to on a C90 one day) I'd be switching everything around and playing to your strengths; big bikes are very adept at munching big miles, whereas small bikes are at home on little wiggly back lanes at a more relaxed pace - it's those places you'll see the interesting stuff, not the main roads.

Assuming the OP has a fixed time window in mind and is trying to get as much in as possible, I'd be tempted to at least consider covering a smaller physical route but spend more time exploring it. I've done far more bicycle touring than motorcycle touring, but the principles are the same, and some of my most memorable experiences are from random backroads (both here and abroad) seeing stuff and encountering people who are far more interesting because to see you is a novelty (and you can work that novelty factor even more on a scooter).

woo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:13 - 09 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

The main limitation on the 125cc will be you first and foremost.
Make sure its well maintained e.g. check oil and levels on journey etc
also make sure that the belt on your scooter is either in good condition or get a brand new on fitted before you go

Ive watched a vid on youtube where a guy took his 125cc scooter touring long distance and was a blast of fun for him

ive taken my 125cc on the motorway from london to scotland and back twice and many other long trips

so long as you accept that you will be going slow and enjoy it then you will have fun

P.S. im getting rid of my GSXR1000 k5 and going back to a 125cc and thats after 20yrs of riding, im now at the stage where slow and nimble on a honda grom suits me fine.

this was my trip lol: https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=321042

Jmoan
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 21:42 - 09 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember some guys trip where he tried to take a Honda Zoomer/ruckus 50cc across America.

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:56 - 10 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

woo wrote:

ive taken my 125cc on the motorway from london to scotland and back twice and many other long trips

this was my trip lol: https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=321042

Thoroughly enjoyed reading that - looks ace! I actually imagine a Grom is an ideal weapon for tight and twisty mountain passes as if you have to stop for something in an awkward place, it's not going to be so much of a handful to keep upright/get going. I must get around to trying one at some point, see so many of them and they always look fun but never actually ridden one.

Adame
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 10:10 - 10 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey guys just to clarify

I usually operate in KM so I didn't realise what I have typed in MILES...
Checking now, I meant going around 220 miles a day tops (ąround 150miles is ideal).

But the point of my question was the fact that a scooter is considered a city bike for short trips, so if its mechanics stop it in any way for a prolonged constant use over few hours of riding.

but it seems like it is a machine like any other moto, thanks

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:11 - 10 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adame wrote:
hey guys just to clarify

I usually operate in KM so I didn't realise what I have typed in MILES...
Checking now, I meant going around 220 miles a day tops (ąround 150miles is ideal).

But the point of my question was the fact that a scooter is considered a city bike for short trips, so if its mechanics stop it in any way for a prolonged constant use over few hours of riding.

but it seems like it is a machine like any other moto, thanks

In KM that does sound a lot more reasonable Thumbs Up

World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:14 - 10 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Assuming it's reasonably new and well maintained I'm pretty sure it'll have no issues with a couple of thousand miles over a short period.
Could you get a one way hire for a van to or from Scotland? Lots of the big hire firms do them. You could then make your way back on your bike and enjoy it more without it being a pure endurance test.

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:30 - 10 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

1198 wrote:
Assuming it's reasonably new and well maintained I'm pretty sure it'll have no issues with a couple of thousand miles over a short period.
Could you get a one way hire for a van to or from Scotland? Lots of the big hire firms do them. You could then make your way back on your bike and enjoy it more without it being a pure endurance test.

I don't think the OP is planning on any specific destination, but just touring from where they live and going from there?

I agree though, if I lived anywhere south of the midlands I'd probably look at that sort of option if I was intending to tour in the north of Scotland.

dynax
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 12:52 - 10 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

People tour on all manner of machines from 50cc upwards, but over the last few years there has been a shift towards the lower cc bikes for touring most being 125cc and under, there are plenty of YT videos of people touring around the world on small cc bikes and scooters, there are some dedicated posts on other forums and FB groups for the smaller capacity bikes, giving the bike a full service before travelling and carrying suitable spares and a basic toolkit should the need arise, the main thing is not to push the bike too hard, just settle for a nice comfortable cruising speed, make frequent stops say ride for an hour and stop for 15 mins and have a walk around take some photos, and give you and the bike a chance to rest, but most of all don't over think it, just enjoy the experience Thumbs Up

World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:14 - 10 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

dynax wrote:
....most of all don't over think it, just enjoy the experience Thumbs Up

This!

garth
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:02 - 10 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just keep on top of maintenance and take it easy.
If you're doing serious remote miles, carry extra fuel.

Source: Rode a (Chinese copy of a) C90 to Africa. Bike was fine.
Old Thread Alert!

There is a gap of 3 years, 239 days between these two posts...

SpencerJames
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 09:06 - 05 Feb 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get your switch from motorcycles to scooters. Those red lights in central London can be a real buzzkill!
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2