BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Why would someone do this? - answers and bike goodness here

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:34 - 14 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought it was a big fanny pad...for your big fanny.

Wub
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

FretGrinder
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:48 - 14 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robby wrote:
Fisty wrote:

Whatnow?

My mistake, it was Poseidon. I get confused with the usernames, because I think of both of you fisting mermaids.

I'm never gonna eat fish fingers again Sad

ಠ_ಠ

Fisty
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:58 - 14 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

FretGrinder wrote:

I'm never gonna eat fish fingers again Sad

#geyserofsewage
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:15 - 15 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a K1 GSXR owner my back, neck and wrists are definitely jealous.

The spec sheet on them seems phenomenal value for money.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 11:09 - 15 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

wr6133 wrote:
As a K1 GSXR owner my back, neck and wrists are definitely jealous.

The spec sheet on them seems phenomenal value for money.

Yep. I went out for a ride yesterday for a couple of hours. It's absolutely astonishingly good. It grips, it turns and it inspires confidence from the first moment. The compression damping on the front end is a bit high, It's very sporty - I think I can dial that out, but it only really affects the ride quality and not the cornering confidence.

Honestly I've never ridden a 'big' bike that is as confidence inspiring pre-setup. The Buell had a table in the manual to tell you how to set it up for your weight, and my Street Triple needed a fair bit of fettling including new lighter springs on the front end to make it work for me. THis bike? No not at all. I'm aware of the slightly increased width of the bike being a Japanese I4 but weight wise it just feels right. It's a lot heavier than my ST3, but it hides it so well, and it's very very quick. It's not mindblowing - I was kind of expecting more engine wise as I've never owned anything more powerful than my 954 blade which I think is supposed to be about 140bhp, and on paper this is a tad more but it's so much friendlier. The Blade constantly felt like it wanted to spit me off. People used to say that the 954 was the best roadgoing sportsbike of it's day, but I didn't get on with it. It felt like it was on it's tippy toes all the time, and that the suspension didn't want to work for me. It also felt like I should be looking over my shoulder for blue lights constantly.

The GSX-S? it's a pussycat. I'd happily send my other half out on it even though she's had her license for 2 years and never ridden anything more powerful than an ER6N. I know she's not that good at 'use of throttle' and 'use of speed' so she'll probably never go over half revs, and she'll have a great time doing it. and she'll have it on it's ear and if she stuck her gangly leg out she'd probably get her knee on the deck too.

I'm making it sound a bit soft, but it really isn't. It's very well judged. If you try, it goes FAST but if you don't want to try, it doesn't force you.

The criticisms I have so far are twofold: One, that the brakes are a bit... not spongy, but there is a lot of travel on the lever before anything happens and I suspect this is related to the ABS. I'm also used to my Street Triple which I can stoppie on demand even though as many of you know I'm hardly a talented stunt monkey. If you pull them hard you stop but I think maybe a bit of hard use and maybe some sintered pads might go a long way to sorting this. Secondly, the finish is crap on some of the more overlooked parts. This bike has obviously been used through winter, and things like the downpipes are beautiful and mint, but the gear linkage rod, gear lever, the sidestand frame lug, the chainguard bracket and many bolts have gone all white and furry. Easily fixed, and for me not a problem as I'm going to just get it dirty anyway but for a 3 year old bike it's a bit poor form.

I'm very happy with it as a bike, but it some ways I'm a bit disappointed. It's going to sound crazy, but I'm worried that it's too good. I bought it to commute on, and barreling up the M3 bolt upright is a bit of a waste.

It does also start to put questions in my head as to whether I need the Street Triple any more... No bike I've ridden since 2012 when I bought the Street has even remotely come close to doing that. This is high high praise for the GSX-S. Nothing can match the noise and the anger of the ST3 though, so it'll probably stay - I've always said it was a keeper.

I am honestly surprised and a bit aggrieved that we don't see more GSX-S's at every bike meet in the UK. The Z1000SX is very popular, and deservedly so but it is dynamically inferior to the GSX-S. By a long old way. The fact that Suzuki aren't selling as many as they can make is a crying shame.

Just in case anyone is interested, Suzuki are doing 0% finance and £500 off a brand new one of these at the moment. I didn't want new as I'd be adding miles to it and the depreciation might be a killer, but for someone as an only do it all bike, I'd give it serious consideration if I were you. Just make sure you cover it in ACF50 if you're gonna ride through winter!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:34 - 15 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
for someone as an only do it all bike, I'd give it serious consideration if I were you.

Been saying it for years. Litre IL4s make great all-rounders. Not the very best at anything in particular, but they have enough of most attributes to keep you happy. Tart 'em up and personalise them a bit, and you have the makings of a keep-forever bike.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 11:50 - 15 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
MarJay wrote:
for someone as an only do it all bike, I'd give it serious consideration if I were you.

Been saying it for years. Litre IL4s make great all-rounders. Not the very best at anything in particular, but they have enough of most attributes to keep you happy. Tart 'em up and personalise them a bit, and you have the makings of a keep-forever bike.

Agreed... to some extent. This is not a GSXR, and it most certainly is a better all rounder than a GSXR, R1, Blade, or ZX10R. This is what people should really buy instead of those dumb adventure/giant trailie/stilt bikes. This is the evolution of the sportsbike for people who can't bend themselves onto a race rep. This is the evolution of the sportsbike for people who want to do distance in comfort. This is a modern ZX9R, a modern CBR600F with more power. It's a VFR with 50kg less and 50bhp more. As I said, Suzuki deserve to sell a boat load of them, but it doesn't have TFT this and bluetooth that. Why do people need that?

I watched a Youtube vid by a car journo who just bought a 2018 Kia Stinger, brand new with $15,000 off of the list price. He then complained that the worst part was that the infotainment was two years out of date compared to other cars!!! My first car was a Ford Fiesta Ghia, and the Ghia meant you got a radio and a rear wash wipe as standard and that was it! No crumple zones, no ABS, it wasn't even completely carpeted as I recall - not even head restraints.

Forget TFT this, bluetooth that, riding modes this... this bike is a great bike for being a bike and nothing more. It's exhilarating and fun and it does everything pretty well. It's also great value as a new bike. It does have ABS, and it does have traction control, and that's a good thing these days - but it's got some of that old school charm lacking from many modern bikes. I love it and I'm glad I went for it.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:02 - 15 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've still never ridden a bike with ABS or any of the other electronic stuff that's standard fit these days. I suppose I knew pretty much what I wanted from biking from an early stage, and just haven't seen fit to dilute any of that experience. I've got more performance and better handling, better braking than I had years ago, but the overall experience of riding hasn't changed.

It's nice to try something different now and then, but after 30-plus years, I guess I know what I like, what I can actually live with. Nothing you've said about this GSX comes as a surprise to me, nor would I expect anything less.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 12:13 - 15 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
It's nice to try something different now and then, but after 30-plus years, I guess I know what I like, what I can actually live with. Nothing you've said about this GSX comes as a surprise to me, nor would I expect anything less.

Agreed, but I still don't understand why adventure bikes supplanted sports bikes as the British rider's genre of choice.

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:36 - 15 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because twat McGregor and marketing. Every overweight 40+ something wants to be an adventurist.

I rode my partners GSX-S 750 and compared to the Z it felt slow. Tidy enough but slow. I was expecting to be blown away by that bike but wasn't.

I changed out the OEM tyres my Z1000 came with and have no issues with turn in now but then i'm about 40% heavier than you so maybe that helps .....

What I love about it is that you can be a ballistic missile if you want to be stupid in 2nd and 3rd or you can smoothly wind up to speed in top gear from 30mph without so much as a grumble. By the sounds, your new baby does exactly the same thing. Vastly underrated characteristics i think and probably skipped over / missed by the WOT nutter brigade.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 13:58 - 15 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

UncleBFester wrote:

What I love about it is that you can be a ballistic missile if you want to be stupid in 2nd and 3rd or you can smoothly wind up to speed in top gear from 30mph without so much as a grumble. By the sounds, your new baby does exactly the same thing. Vastly underrated characteristics i think and probably skipped over / missed by the WOT nutter brigade.

So being that I have a bit of central London at the end of my commute, I tried to see how flexible the bike could be at low speed. Some reviews complain about the snatchiness of the throttle, reportedly fixed in the minor revision in 2017. I wanted to make sure this is not the case. In a 30 zone I slowed right down to 20mph in 4th, and it plodded along nicely without any effort. I then opened the throttle and got back up to 30 with no issues at all. It didn't even break a sweat.

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:00 - 15 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no idea whether it's how smooth you are with the rollon that counts ....

There are two things i'd like on this bike that the next one will have and that's quickshift and rev blip / matching.

Either that or just go full DCT auto.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:32 - 15 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Btw, DON'T SELL THE STREET TRIPLE!
I never would have sold mine if I could have afforded to keep it along with the Fazer.
That and the KR1 have to be your keepers!

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 16:03 - 15 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
Btw, DON'T SELL THE STREET TRIPLE!
I never would have sold mine if I could have afforded to keep it along with the Fazer.
That and the KR1 have to be your keepers!

And the 600RR, as a pre Euro 4, pre ABS track bike!

So they are all keepers apart from the VFR which has done me proud in recent years.

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 19:10 - 15 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

You sold the Buell. You're dead to me.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 19:16 - 15 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just been playing with an inflation calculator. Let's assume you can get a brand new GSX-S1000F for £10,000. It's about that with the £500 discount... In 1995 when the Bandit 1200 came out, that's the equivalent of £5,500. Isn't that about what the 1200 cost then? I know the 600 was £4500... Can anyone remember?

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 19:20 - 15 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robby wrote:
You sold the Buell. You're dead to me.

I just didn't ride it. The Street Triple was my go-to, the CBR for the track, the KR1S a project and I bought the VFR to go to work on. It just had no use. It also had a few little problems here and there which although not major could have gotten major. Not only that, parts supply is now officially an issue - I wasn't going to let it rot in my garage only to find I couldn't get hold of a part I now needed to get it going.

Shame, as the guy who bought it from me was U-Turned on by a Focus ST breaking the frame. Sad

The GSX-S doesn't have the pure grunt and stomp of the Buell but it fits a spot in my garage a bit more.

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 00:09 - 16 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know full well that in my head the CBR, VFR, GSXS and striple are all basically the same bike, and I have no interest in any of them. The 250 would be good, but Kawasaki so cancer.

Buell was your redeeming feature, but now I have no reason to visit Marje's house of fun until you get a cat.

slowside
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 07:53 - 16 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is an interesting thread. I really like my Sprint as it straddles the sportier side of the sports-tourer divide and at some point I'd like to own a newer bike that I'm not constantly maintaning.

I'd never really given the GSXS any credit as I had it stuck in my head that it was justa a bigger more expensive GSF650f.

Looks like it might be worth cosidering.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 10:11 - 16 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

slowside wrote:
This is an interesting thread. I really like my Sprint as it straddles the sportier side of the sports-tourer divide and at some point I'd like to own a newer bike that I'm not constantly maintaning.

I'd never really given the GSXS any credit as I had it stuck in my head that it was justa a bigger more expensive GSF650f.

Looks like it might be worth cosidering.

I reckon it's even sportier than a Sprint ST, and it has bars, so it's probably more comfortable too. It's certainly easier to flick around bends.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:41 - 16 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
chickenstrip wrote:

Agreed, but I still don't understand why adventure bikes supplanted sports bikes as the British rider's genre of choice.

Because age. Old needs comfort. A GS is comfier than a zx9r. Has to be. Old also needs different fantasy - old has done 'pretend to be hailwood.' Old now rummages in costume wardrobe one more time - picks out new cosplay item; adventure-before-dementia garb is donned. Needs relevant bike.

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:02 - 16 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha wrote:

MarJay wrote:

Because age. Old needs comfort. A GS is comfier than a zx9r. Has to be. Old also needs different fantasy - old has done 'pretend to be hailwood.' Old now rummages in costume wardrobe one more time - picks out new cosplay item; adventure-before-dementia garb is donned. Needs relevant bike.

I think it's mostly a certain subset that came to bikes later in life. Maybe it was the Mcgregor thing that inspired them to take it up in the first place. I'm not so sure that many adventure bike riders have done the 'pretend to be Hailwood' bit, or any other bit for that matter.

My tastes haven't really changed much in the years I've been riding. I never went for the adventure bike thing. It's just not what I've ever wanted from biking. If adventure bikes were the only choice, I'd quit riding.

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:23 - 16 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
If adventure bikes were the only choice, I'd quit riding.

I wouldn't write them all off, not a fan of the GS but an extended go an an Africa Twin was pretty pleasing, it's a good bike.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:27 - 16 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure it is, and I'm not knocking other's tastes. It's just not what I want from a bike.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 14:50 - 16 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha wrote:

I can't honestly see an adventure bike being much more comfortable than the GSX-S. They are dynamically worse with less power and often more weight too.

I think it's basically an excuse to not have the latest fast sportsbike. "I don't want a sports I want an *adventure* bike!" is code for "I can't handle 200bhp". But instead of admitting that and buying a sports tourer, they do the Charley Boorman fantasy. It's quite sad in a way.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 313 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5