Another Ducati 1000 build...

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic : View next topic  

buzzer1955
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 12:09 - 23 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:
I love the work thats gone in to this, I just feel its missing the back end...and I think its breaking C&U regs, otherwise its stunning and I'd love to have a go on that.

interesting you think it breaks C&U regs? can you say why?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 12:04 - 25 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm trying to find the sheet I was given when trying to road legal a pit bike. The tyre/wheel being the furthest thing back was the biggest problem, I had to fashion a mudguard / numberplate hanger that sat behind the rear wheel, it looked so stupid but it got registered.

If I can find the notice I'll let you know.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:58 - 25 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

This any help?

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/821685/motorcycle-single-vehicle-approval-inspection-manual.pdf

Section 10:

Quote:
Rear Registration Plate Space

1. Check that there is provision for a space at the most practicable rearmost point of
the vehicle for mounting a rearward facing rear registration plate or plates.
Note: Where the most practicable rearmost point for mounting the number plate is a
“side mount” position check a duplicate space is fitted to the opposite side of the
vehicle. (This is to comply with visibility requirements for rear registration plates.)

Reasons for Failure
1. There is no provision for space at the rearmost practicable point of the vehicle for
mounting a rearward facing rear registration plate or plates.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 16:05 - 25 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's wasn't place, it was to do with the rear wheel being furthest most point back. I gave up looking when my pc shat itself Neutral

I think Ducati posted that as a reason for the Diavels obnoxiously shit number plate placement.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

buzzer1955
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 18:08 - 30 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not been doing much in the garage for the last week... My best mate of 55 years was diagnosed with terminal cancer last week. All very sudden, 4 weeks before he was working in his factory, just complaining of a bad back... turns out he has lung cancer, cancer in the spine and Multiple Myeloma... they have given him weeks/months. Its knocked me for 6 to be honest...

Gong to get out in the garage Monday and get my mojo back... for now here is a short video as many people asked how I turn the velocity stack radius in the lathe..

https://youtu.be/f0XB1MTOV5w
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

buzzer1955
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 11:23 - 12 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well its finished... its now at the back of the garage waiting for spring... I have started a new thread on the Monster 900 restoration. here is a short video of it running....

https://youtu.be/v3ATycOHWB4

and a longer one of the full story

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_z3roCdM7QU&t=29s

Middle Finger

buzzer1955
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 11:39 - 07 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

this bike has been in the back of the garage, waiting for the better weather... I dug it out the other day and did a few jobs in anticipation of riding it soon. One of the things I hated was taking the tank off as it was so difficult to remove the two front nuts... so I decided to make some Allen headed nuts so I could use a long Allen key to easily get to them...

I pondered how to make the hexagon, and came on the idea of a stepped broach method. So I made the nuts in brass, and used an old Allen key to make the stepped broach which cuts the hexagon in steps as its forced through (2lb hammer!)

it worked rather well!

https://jtccc.files.wordpress.com/2021/03/tank-nuts-copy.jpg

Holdawayt
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 21:26 - 08 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great work, are you local to Ironbridge or did you travel a bit for the first pic?
Apologies if you've already mentioned this, I have a newborn on my lap and I couldn't have a proper read.

You've also inspired me to write up my BMW R100 rebuild. Thanks!

Can't wait to see your progress.
Tom

buzzer1955
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 09:00 - 09 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holdawayt wrote:
Great work, are you local to Ironbridge or did you travel a bit for the first pic?
Apologies if you've already mentioned this, I have a newborn on my lap and I couldn't have a proper read.

You've also inspired me to write up my BMW R100 rebuild. Thanks!

Can't wait to see your progress.
Tom

Hi Tom,

I am about 15 mile from Ironbridge, but a frequent visitor, well i was until COVID Laughing

I post on a few forums about my builds, but mainly I keep a blog for a record... have a look here... www.jtccc.wordpress.com

buzzer1955
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 18:23 - 28 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

took the bike for MOT… riding there through town I noticed that it really is far too loud… I actually coasted into the mot station! Chatting to the MOT guy who is a friend... we were saying that we first met when I was 15... we are the same age... that's 50 years ago! In all that time he has only failed one of my cars or bikes... and that was last year when I had failed to spot a tyre on my Mercedes that was bald on the inside edge... he really has not let me forget it since

when I got home I decided to make a baffle, which has toned it down nicely, without making it too quiet.

https://jtccc.files.wordpress.com/2021/03/mot-copy.jpg

https://jtccc.files.wordpress.com/2021/03/bafffel-copy.jpg

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:41 - 29 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me guess: the rail out of a wardrobe?

buzzer1955
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 11:13 - 30 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
Let me guess: the rail out of a wardrobe?

I can see why you thought that!

No, its a tube of 316 stainless.. I hate working with the stuff... drilling those holes I must have sharpened the drill 20 times...

buzzer1955
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 18:50 - 07 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I have done a fair few miles on it the other day... I have to say I love this bike! the carburation feels spot on and it runs like a dream! It goes far better than I thought it would, and fells a LOT more powerful than my 900 monster... I guess that's the 100 extra CC's and the flat slide carbs. I think this will be a keeper, its surprisingly comfortable as well!

https://jtccc.files.wordpress.com/2021/04/00001-copy.jpg

buzzer1955
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 11:20 - 28 Jun 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been doing quite a few miles, and thoroughly enjoying the bike! In fact its my go to bike when I go for a ride, and others have remained unused! But they say a special is never finished… and they are probably right! one thing I have never been entirely comfortable with is flat slide carbs with no positive means of closing… So I decided to put some closing cables on the carbs. The junction boxes were fitted to many old British bikes. This meant I could lighten the closing springs a little and have a lighter throttle action, and use a faster action, which we all know adds at least 20 BHP! well it feels like it!

At first I tried a 38mm drum, but this was less than a 1/4 closed to open… too fast, and too heavy! I calculated that 33mm was about right, so off I went to my local bike breakers to hunt for a replacement. He has a very old storage unit with hundreds of boxes on shelves which I systematically went through… last few boxes, and I found the ideal, out of a Honda CFR250. Must say it was rather spooky in there on my own… lots of funny noises which had me constantly looking behind me!!!

https://jtccc.files.wordpress.com/2021/06/throttle-linkage.jpg

https://jtccc.files.wordpress.com/2021/06/aaaaa-copy.jpg
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 274 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3