Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

200 grand for wrongful arrest.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:49 - 14 Jun 2020    Post subject: 200 grand for wrongful arrest. Reply with quote

Gatwick drone arrest couple receive £200k payout from Sussex Police.

Don't get me wrong, they were treated badly but 200k badly?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sussex-53041256

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:59 - 14 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sussex Police Assistant Chief Constable David Miller wrote:
"However, we recognise that things could have been done differently and, as a result, Sussex Police have agreed to pay you compensation and legal costs."

So did they get most of that 200 grand, or their lawyer?

I think this is probably the same as most injury compensation claims. Victims don't really mind what they get, as long as some justice is served and they maybe get a bit of cash for their troubles. Meanwhile the lawyers go in for maximum profit.

gbrand42
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 17:08 - 14 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

£55k to them plus £145k legal costs

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:15 - 14 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

gbrand42 wrote:

"Sussex Police Assistant Chief Constable David Miller said: "However, we recognise that things could have been done differently and, as a result, Sussex Police have agreed to pay you compensation and legal costs"

I suspect that the only reason they have agreed to do it is because they would have had to pay that and more had they gone to court.

From "The Daily Telegraph" (my emphasis):

"A letter sent by (ussex Police Assistant Chief Constable David Miller) to the Gaits and shared by their legal team states: "I am deeply sorry that you both experienced the unpleasantness of arrest and detention incommunicado for approximately 36 hours.

"I acknowledge that this would have been a traumatic time for you both.

"Unfortunately, when the police carry out their functions on behalf of the public, sometimes innocent people are arrested as part of necessary police investigations in the public interest.

"I understand that you believe that you were unlawfully arrested and detained by Sussex Police Officers. This is an issue which can only be resolved by a court.

"However, we recognise that things could have been done differently and, as a result, Sussex Police have agreed to pay you compensation and legal costs.
"

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:53 - 14 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

With drones, Battery Life Matters.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 21:26 - 14 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was it ever established if there were any actual drones there at all? Or just reports of them.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:53 - 14 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

gbrand42 wrote:

That's frightening in that what if the Police had contested it and they lost. They would have one hell of a lot of money to find unless no win no fee.

Do you get No win no fee for something like that?

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:55 - 14 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Was it ever established if there were any actual drones there at all? Or just reports of them.

From the article.....

No-one has ever been charged, and police have said that some reported drone sightings may have been Sussex Police's own craft.

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:39 - 14 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the start it made little sense with unrealistic flight times and flying in strong wind and rain at night.
Essentially mass hysteria and mis-identifying lights such as distant helicopters as closer drones.

It was mysteriously not possible to see where they were coming and going from to replace batteries at 20 minute intervals.

Then the way the press demonised this couple with lurid headlines but no proof other than he was known to have owned a drone - they deserve 200k but it shouldn't be coming from the police.
unfortunate the real winners as usual legal fees of 150k.

Largely as a result of this fake incident drone rules have been tightened and annual licence fees introduced to regulate. Of course if you actually wanted to use one to disrupt or attack an airport you would never think of just not registering it. Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 22:50 - 14 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

doggone wrote:

Then the way the press demonised this couple with lurid headlines but no proof other than he was known to have owned a drone - they deserve 200k but it shouldn't be coming from the police.

It should because the police need an incentive to not do it again. The press did not kick their door in, arrest them at gun point and hold them for 36h. Someone pretty high up in the police made that call. If he based it on hearsay and media pressure, then even more reason for there to be a hefty penalty.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:54 - 14 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
Do you get No win no fee for something like that?

"No win no fee" is an old, old thing. You can get it in several ways.

1) Contact a firm that deals with such things. They will evaluate your claim, and if they think there's a chance you will win a case *AND* get enough damages to pay them and their contractor, they will pass you on to a legal practice that has paid to be on their books, who will make the final decision - again, "Is there enough money in this for us"? If you are not likely to win easily, or you are likely to win but there's no money, "you can forff".

1a) Contact a firm that deals with such things. They will evaluate your claim, and if they think there's any chance you will win a case *AND* get lots of damages to pay them and their contractor, they will pass you on to a legal practice that has paid to be on their books, who will make the final decision - again, "Is there lots of money in this for us"? If there's not enough money to be worth the risk, "you can forff".

2) The lawyer is ambitious, and your case is complicated and/or addresses a point of law that needs settling.

3) The lawyer feels sorry for you, and can make himself look good by helping you.

4) Your case is one of real hardship, and the lawyer feels sorry for you.

In possible order of likelihood.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 23:15 - 14 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

You get no win no fee by going to pretty much any firm of solicitors and if they like the chances of success for your case then they'll take you on on a no win no fee basis which is also known as a conditional fee agreement.

The practice of law you receive will be from the firm of solicitors who're dealing with your case, contractors aren't involved and you won't be passed to some other legal practice.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:35 - 15 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

gbrand42 wrote:

How in God's name has a law firm managed to rack up that level of fees? How many hours' work, and at what hourly rate? And what actual work has actually been done, especially given that there was no actual court case and the police (rightly) caved?

I'd have been happy to write a quick letter to the chief constable on behalf of the plaintiffs saying 'As you know, my client was wrongly arrested by your lot, was extremely embarrassed about it and is now very pissed off, so they want lots of compensation from you". And i'd have only charged them the bargain fee of £125,000 for writing that. Oh wait, I'm not a lawyer though.

Seriously, has nobody challenged the fees? Does the public (who pay the police and their fuck-ups) have the right at least request sight of a breakdown of the invoice?

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:46 - 15 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:
gbrand42 wrote:

How in God's name has a law firm managed to rack up that level of fees? How many hours' work, and at what hourly rate? And what actual work has actually been done, especially given that there was no actual court case and the police (rightly) caved?

I'd have been happy to write a quick letter to the chief constable on behalf of the plaintiffs saying 'As you know, my client was wrongly arrested by your lot, was extremely embarrassed about it and is now very pissed off, so they want lots of compensation from you". And i'd have only charged them the bargain fee of £125,000 for writing that. Oh wait, I'm not a lawyer though.

Seriously, has nobody challenged the fees? Does the public (who pay the police and their fuck-ups) have the right at least request sight of a breakdown of the invoice?

It's also possible if a lawyer knows which buttons to push to 'Build a Case' that would cost then Met more in legal costs if brought to court.
The legal team obviously saw that.
That's why Out of Court settlements are offered.
Legal costs are reviewed by other law people.
A lawyer's letter could cost a few hundred. Special paper, special ink and they press down really hard when they write.

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:30 - 15 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Much of the legal profession sits in the same category as insurance to me. Charging silly money for basic admin work.

Having said that, has there not been a change of the rules in recent years? I thought there was a bit of a crackdown on such "admin fees". At the very least, I know lettings agents aren't allowed to do it any more.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:09 - 15 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
The practice of law you receive will be from the firm of solicitors who're dealing with your case, contractors aren't involved and you won't be passed to some other legal practice.

The contractors I referred to are the law firms on the books of people like Salter Gorgon. When I contacted S+G some time ago, they "vetted" my potential case, and passed it on to another firm. However, the other firm said there wasn't enough money in it for them, although it was quite likely a claim would be successful. Thinking about it, I should have gone to my normal solicitor, and told them to deal with it, because I was feeling outraged and vindictive rather than grasping.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:18 - 15 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:

Dunno. About £440/hour for a partner at my local provincial firm though (split into 6-minute secments of time) including VAT. A lot mor for a City firm I should think.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:15 - 15 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:

A lawyer's letter could cost a few hundred. Special paper, special ink and they press down really hard when they write.

Nice one, that did make me snigger! Thumbs Up

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:20 - 15 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:
gbrand42 wrote:

Thae lawyers are basically taking the money that the clients should have.

I bet the police go to the shysters, ask them how much it will take to settle out of court and the fcuking cvnts come up with a nice figure that gives them a goodly sum and gives the client in comparison a token gesture pay off.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:39 - 15 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord Percy wrote:
Much of the legal profession sits in the same category as insurance to me. Charging silly money for basic admin work.

Having said that, has there not been a change of the rules in recent years? I thought there was a bit of a crackdown on such "admin fees". At the very least, I know lettings agents aren't allowed to do it any more.

There are very strict rules (that still favour the legal firms) for court settlements. This is out of court though so just a sit down and "how much to make this go away?"

While it doesn't seem a lot of money to the couple wrongly arrested at least it was a public settlement so anyone muttering "no smoke without fire" can get fucked.

I'm curious as to how it went so wrong: if the couple were working at the time and didn't even own a drone anyway what compelled the police to set them up as patsies? Some tip-off from a neighbour they've upset would be my bet.

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:32 - 15 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord Percy wrote:

You can always go to uni, do the degree, then decide. Oh no, because after that you have to do your LPC. And then get a training contract. Then you can see how good it is. Especially whilst you're paid less than a bin man. Thumbs Up

There are a full sector of solicitors dedicated to costs. Much like any other sector really.

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:24 - 16 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jewlio Rides Again LLB wrote:
Especially whilst you're paid less than a bin man. Thumbs Up

A lad I know did a history degree, realised it was useless, then put himself through a law conversion course and now works at nice firm in the City.

He does have diabolically wealthy parents though.

#PoorLivesMatter!

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:46 - 16 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

UFOs

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:42 - 16 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord Percy wrote:
Jewlio Rides Again LLB wrote:
Especially whilst you're paid less than a bin man. Thumbs Up

A lad I know did a history degree, realised it was useless, then put himself through a law conversion course and now works at nice firm in the City.

He does have diabolically wealthy parents though.

#PoorLivesMatter!

See, I disagree with that path. Can get a degree in any subject - and a good grade, then do a conversion. Make it look like you done real good when it's not necessarily the case.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 07:30 - 17 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

We pay $1000+/hr excluding haulage to from site for a 70t telescopic mobile crane and steerer.
They might only do two or three lifts.

I guess legal fees have to cover cost of buildings, company insurance, professional insurance, property devaluation buildings, cars, equipment, shirts, shoes and suits. Then tea coffees on top.
So that's possibly where a big part of the fee goes.
Some solicitors don't even give you a cuppa. 🙄
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 312 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2