Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Questions from the completely overwhelmed

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

DaveWilby88
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 13:58 - 18 Jun 2020    Post subject: Questions from the completely overwhelmed Reply with quote

Afternoon Everyone!

after a short time of thinking, sleeping, eating and especially drinking on it, I have decided to take the jump and get a bike. I have my CBT booked in for next month and have been practising on my father in laws scooter in the large field behind the house.

Now, I live in the outskirts of Cheltenham and travel around 16 miles round trip to work and back (but not in town), and maybe want to do a bit of riding in weekend (but nothing major)

Since the idea was put in my head, I have gone from being determined to be green and go for an electric scooter, to a electric cafe racer, to opening up to 125cc's, but then do i want a scooter? or one of the many new chinese cruisers or scrambler like the Hanway Scramble or the Keeway Superlight or WK Legend?

Or do I follow some advise i have heard and go for an older model since they hold their value? do i invest in maybe project or a barn find that needs minimal work?

basically, my mind is a minefield of questions. I have a budget around £2000 to £2500. I am also going to sell my car so this is going to be a long term sort of commitment, so i am not keen on settling with a scooter, and I love the idea of owning a scramble or cruiser, and I am honestly not fussed about sticking to a 125cc

one other thing...which might sound weird. I suffering from time to time sciatica in my back, so comfort would be a high priority to me

I know this is a lot of questions, but I need someone just to straighten it all out for me. I know it can be down to personal preference, but if that was the case i would end up having nearly a dozen bikes! Laughing

I appreciate all your help on this guys, and I am sorry for the mess of questions Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 14:09 - 18 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

My advice, get on the road with something totally vanilla and not too expensive. Decide what you do and don't like about it, move on once you know. Something that looks like the motorcycle a 6 year old would draw.

So if you're on L-plates, something like a YBR125 then. Don't spend as much as £2k on one, £1,500 will get you something very tidy with uinder 10k miles on. Mileage and condition are more important that age. Standard is good, modified is bad. Look for one that doesn't need a lot of consumables doing imminently.

If you fancy something a bit out of the ordinary with a scrambler look, a Suzuki Vanvan?

A moderately priced japanese 125 will sell for much the same as you paid for it in 6-12 months providing you haven't wrecked it.

You'll probably want to do a test and get something bigger at some point. You can then get money back on the 125, upgrade and haven't totally blown your wad.

DaveWilby88
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 14:19 - 18 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
My advice, get on the road with something totally vanilla and not too expensive. Decide what you do and don't like about it, move on once you know. Something that looks like the motorcycle a 6 year old would draw.

So if you're on L-plates, something like a YBR125 then. Don't spend as much as £2k on one, £1,500 will get you something very tidy with uinder 10k miles on. Mileage and condition are more important that age. Standard is good, modified is bad. Look for one that doesn't need a lot of consumables doing imminently.

If you fancy something a bit out of the ordinary with a scrambler look, a Suzuki Vanvan?

A moderately priced japanese 125 will sell for much the same as you paid for it in 6-12 months providing you haven't wrecked it.

You'll probably want to do a test and get something bigger at some point. You can then get money back on the 125, upgrade and haven't totally blown your wad.

Thank you very much for the advice! I understand where you are coming from, I think I am in the mindset that I dont want to get something to tie me over for a bit and then upgrade, my plan is to basically get a bike that will last me maybe 5 years before changing? or is that not a good idea?

The VanVan looks very appealing. I would like to gauge the opinion on this new wave of Chinese bikes, like the Mutt Mongrel etc? I seem to get people despising or loving them.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:34 - 18 Jun 2020    Post subject: Re: Questions from the completely overwhelmed Reply with quote

DaveWilby88 wrote:
Now, I live in the outskirts of Cheltenham and travel around 16 miles round trip to work and back (but not in town), and maybe want to do a bit of riding in weekend (but nothing major)

Since the idea was put in my head, I have gone from being determined to be green and go for an electric scooter, to a electric cafe racer, to opening up to 125cc's, but then do i want a scooter? or one of the many new chinese cruisers or scrambler like the Hanway Scramble or the Keeway Superlight or WK Legend?

Or do I follow some advise i have heard and go for an older model since they hold their value? do i invest in maybe project or a barn find that needs minimal work?

basically, my mind is a minefield of questions. I have a budget around £2000 to £2500. I am also going to sell my car so this is going to be a long term sort of commitment, so i am not keen on settling with a scooter, and I love the idea of owning a scramble or cruiser, and I am honestly not fussed about sticking to a 125cc

one other thing...which might sound weird. I suffering from time to time sciatica in my back, so comfort would be a high priority to me

Well, depending on age & desire, yor CBT is needed. Getting a 125 seems reasonable, an electric mike could be a bit costly, although possibly a bit cheaper to run.

If get sciatica, you might not want a "sports" thing that you have to tie yourself in knots to get on and ride. There are a couple of Keeway Superlight bods who post here...

Depreciation with an older bike will have already largely happend, of course, but maintenance is a big thing with small bikes (especially oil changes, etc), so you don't want something that's been abused.

How mechanically able are you|?

DaveWilby88
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 14:39 - 18 Jun 2020    Post subject: Re: Questions from the completely overwhelmed Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:
DaveWilby88 wrote:

Well, depending on age & desire, yor CBT is needed. Getting a 125 seems reasonable, an electric mike could be a bit costly, although possibly a bit cheaper to run.

If get sciatica, you might not want a "sports" thing that you have to tie yourself in knots to get on and ride. There are a couple of Keeway Superlight bods who post here...

Depreciation with an older bike will have already largely happend, of course, but maintenance is a big thing with small bikes (especially oil changes, etc), so you don't want something that's been abused.

How mechanically able are you|?

Thank you for the advice! Thumbs Up

Yes I did notice the electric's tend to be more up top but much less to run and maintain.
Yeah I already had sports bike taken out the of equation, I am more keen on sitting up straight or just a lazy way of riding ha!

I wouldn't say I am mechanically able? but I tend to be a quick learner, so I could adapt fairly easily if needed.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:40 - 18 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaveWilby88 wrote:
I think I am in the mindset that I dont want to get something to tie me over for a bit and then upgrade, my plan is to basically get a bike that will last me maybe 5 years before changing? or is that not a good idea?

Get something you like, but it is quite possible you will want to try something different after fewer than 5 years.

If you haven't a lot of experience, have a look at something simple in video to start off:

Keeway SL: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOJlOy4zGe8
van van: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5whkcxrmUc

slowside
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 14:42 - 18 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaveWilby88 wrote:
my plan is to basically get a bike that will last me maybe 5 years before changing? or is that not a good idea?

Your CBT only lasts for 2 years, after that you will either need to take your full test or get a new CBT.

Therefore if you are looking to keep your 125 for 5 years or so, you are still going to have to at least consider getting your full licence.

I did a couple of years on my YBR125 (which I got locally for £750) for daily commutes to and from work and like you, sold my car as the bike made it pretty much redundant.

Once my CBT was up I spent about £600 to get my full license and sold my YBR for pretty much what I originally paid for it.

The tl;dr is - don't get hung up on which 125 to buy, just look for a solid second hand Japanese bike for a fair price.
Don't get sucked in by the overly style-conscious offerings that seem good value new, as they are dynamically no different to any other budget commuter bike and will fall apart quicker than a copy of Razzle in a boys boarding school.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:42 - 18 Jun 2020    Post subject: Re: Questions from the completely overwhelmed Reply with quote

DaveWilby88 wrote:
I wouldn't say I am mechanically able? but I tend to be a quick learner, so I could adapt fairly easily if needed.

Having read things people post here, it seems to me that the biggest cause of failure in the "small bike" sector is failure to check and change the oil (and filters) regularly.

dynax
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 14:52 - 18 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you tend to suffer with sciatica i would consider getting a step through rather than a leg over bike, something like an innova 125, they are a good all round bike and have a good following and a go anywhere reputation Thumbs Up

https://s1.cdn.autoevolution.com/images/moto_gallery/HONDAANF125Innova-319_1.jpg

DaveWilby88
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 15:00 - 18 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

slowside wrote:
DaveWilby88 wrote:
my plan is to basically get a bike that will last me maybe 5 years before changing? or is that not a good idea?

Your CBT only lasts for 2 years, after that you will either need to take your full test or get a new CBT.

Therefore if you are looking to keep your 125 for 5 years or so, you are still going to have to at least consider getting your full licence.

I did a couple of years on my YBR125 (which I got locally for £750) for daily commutes to and from work and like you, sold my car as the bike made it pretty much redundant.

Once my CBT was up I spent about £600 to get my full license and sold my YBR for pretty much what I originally paid for it.

The tl;dr is - don't get hung up on which 125 to buy, just look for a solid second hand Japanese bike for a fair price.
Don't get sucked in by the overly style-conscious offerings that seem good value new, as they are dynamically no different to any other budget commuter bike and will fall apart quicker than a copy of Razzle in a boys boarding school.

Hi Slowside,

Understood, I should probably loosen m dreams on what to get ha!
yeah sorry I should of said that i do plan to get my full licence during my CBT period.
I am just not fussed about driving anything larger than a 125cc...

I don't know if that sounds stupid or not etc

DaveWilby88
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 15:11 - 18 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:
DaveWilby88 wrote:
I think I am in the mindset that I dont want to get something to tie me over for a bit and then upgrade, my plan is to basically get a bike that will last me maybe 5 years before changing? or is that not a good idea?

Get something you like, but it is quite possible you will want to try something different after fewer than 5 years.

If you haven't a lot of experience, have a look at something simple in video to start off:

Keeway SL: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOJlOy4zGe8
van van: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5whkcxrmUc

Yes i have spotted the Keeway during my wanders on the internet, and I got all gooey Sons of Anarchy vibes haha!
I am only concerned that Chinese bike are very up and down, but i have heard good things about Keeways?

slowside
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 15:13 - 18 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaveWilby88 wrote:

Not at all, despite a lot of fragile-masculinity willy-waving on the subject, 125s are plenty capable for urban commuting purposes and leisurely rides. I enjoyed my YBR and sometimes still wish I had it.

However, to play my own devils-advocate, they can be exhausting when you are trying to keep up with (and out of the way of) national speed limit traffic, their small stature can make them uncomfortably cramped if you are tall and even a modest 300/400cc bike offers considerably more versatility and (in terms of useable power) comfort.

DaveWilby88
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 15:23 - 18 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

slowside wrote:
DaveWilby88 wrote:

Not at all, despite a lot of fragile-masculinity willy-waving on the subject, 125s are plenty capable for urban commuting purposes and leisurely rides. I enjoyed my YBR and sometimes still wish I had it.

However, to play my own devils-advocate, they can be exhausting when you are trying to keep up with (and out of the way of) national speed limit traffic, their small stature can make them uncomfortably cramped if you are tall and even a modest 300/400cc bike offers considerably more versatility and (in terms of useable power) comfort.

Well when it comes to my commute, its mostly back roads. Unless i take the A38 which apart from one small slope, is usually downhill.
and a small admittance from me, when I was practising on my father in laws 300cc scooter, there was small brown stain happening to me when i was around 40 mph Laughing

I am sure I will push past the fear factor though!

DaveWilby88
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 15:28 - 18 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

dynax wrote:
If you tend to suffer with sciatica i would consider getting a step through rather than a leg over bike, something like an innova 125, they are a good all round bike and have a good following and a go anywhere reputation Thumbs Up

https://s1.cdn.autoevolution.com/images/moto_gallery/HONDAANF125Innova-319_1.jpg

Thank you for the suggestion! Thumbs Up
I heard Honda's tend to be bullet proof am I right? like the super cub?

dynax
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 15:32 - 18 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Modern 4t 125's are very capable of keeping up with the flow of traffic, i have a UM renegade commando classic it is a cruiser and weighs in at 172kg and with my weight avg 60kg it will cruise all day long at 60-65 mph, one advantage of a heavy cruiser is that you don't tend to suffer with side winds so much and with them being big bikes they do have some road presence, go round to some dealers and sit on some and see what you feel comfortable with, but don't get too caught up in the 125 hype, when they re open i will be doing my test on my 125 as i have no need for more power it does me fine and will do for the next ten years plus, just try and enjoy the freedom of biking Thumbs Up

dynax
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 15:37 - 18 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaveWilby88 wrote:
dynax wrote:

Thank you for the suggestion! Thumbs Up
I heard Honda's tend to be bullet proof am I right? like the super cub?

If you look after them any bike will be bullet proof, mine is chinese i bought it brand new just over a year ago and is still in showroom condition, regular cleaning and maintainence are key to longevity and fault free running, if you look after it and don't abuse it, it will look after you Thumbs Up

DaveWilby88
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 15:42 - 18 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

dynax wrote:
Modern 4t 125's are very capable of keeping up with the flow of traffic, i have a UM renegade commando classic it is a cruiser and weighs in at 172kg and with my weight avg 60kg it will cruise all day long at 60-65 mph, one advantage of a heavy cruiser is that you don't tend to suffer with side winds so much and with them being big bikes they do have some road presence, go round to some dealers and sit on some and see what you feel comfortable with, but don't get too caught up in the 125 hype, when they re open i will be doing my test on my 125 as i have no need for more power it does me fine and will do for the next ten years plus, just try and enjoy the freedom of biking Thumbs Up

I love the idea of a cruiser. I mean i am what our glorious NHS would call "obese" Im about 95 kilos so I like the idea of a cruiser.
I think you're right that I should just go around some dealers, park my arse and see what suits me really.

DaveWilby88
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 15:50 - 18 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

dynax wrote:
If you look after them any bike will be bullet proof, mine is chinese i bought it brand new just over a year ago and is still in showroom condition, regular cleaning and maintainence are key to longevity and fault free running, if you look after it and don't abuse it, it will look after you Thumbs Up

so your opinion on Chinese bikes are fairly positive?
In Cheltenham there is a dealer who sells Keeways and Hanway but I also see people putting those bikes down because of where they come from? but owners have nothing but positives about them

The UM cruisers are beauties!

dynax
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 16:09 - 18 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaveWilby88 wrote:
dynax wrote:

so your opinion on Chinese bikes are fairly positive?
In Cheltenham there is a dealer who sells Keeways and Hanway but I also see people putting those bikes down because of where they come from? but owners have nothing but positives about them

The UM cruisers are beauties!

Most peoples experience with chinese bikes were originally with Lexmoto, and to be fair their first foray into the chinese market was dire, but as with anything progress and an improvement with QC and over the last few years has come along in leaps and bounds, i would stay clear of anything chinese pre 2018, but after that they have greatly improved, if you are looking at new and longterm owner ship i would seriously consider a UM, there is an owners group on FB and some of the models are becoming rare as they have stopped production and are highly sought after now, and they are holding their prices well Thumbs Up

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:18 - 18 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strickly speakin, you'd have to be about 5 foot tall to be classed as obese at 95Kg
I suspect like many of us, yer just a bit of a fat bastard Laughing

How tall are you?
I kind of like 125s as runabouts but at 6'2" and a bit, many of them feel tiny
and I just cant get comfy.
Some are physically bigger though like the Varadero and Honda PCX scoot, probably
quite few others too.
Your size and mass will affect how well a limited power machine will ride too.

DaveWilby88
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 16:28 - 18 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

WD Forte wrote:
Strickly speakin, you'd have to be about 5 foot tall to be classed as obese at 95Kg
I suspect like many of us, yer just a bit of a fat bastard Laughing

How tall are you?
I kind of like 125s as runabouts but at 6'2" and a bit, many of them feel tiny
and I just cant get comfy.
Some are physically bigger though like the Varadero and Honda PCX scoot, probably
quite few others too.
Your size and mass will affect how well a limited power machine will ride too.

Thank you for the advice!

I am 5'11" I was a fat bastard at 135 kilos 2 years back yes haha!
I am not fussed (and really dont want to) go very fast etc, sitting between 40 and 50 is perfectly fine with me

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 16:34 - 18 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Varadero is a good call. Getting a bit old now but if you can get one in good nick they are a much bigger bike than most 125s, v-twin engine with a bit of poke and some road presence. Some offroader styling cues too.

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:53 - 18 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most 125s should tootle along happily enough at 40-50
Sit on a few by all means but be warned,
you dont really get to know a bike until you've spent some time in the saddle and bikes in show rooms wont let you do this.

I dont have a smart answer to this dilemma but would suggest you do the CBT before deciding and spending money on a bike.
You'll have spent a few hours on the trainer and that plus talking to the instructors and others might help point to the type of bike you feel would suit you best.

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:54 - 18 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your list of bikes, is quite varied, I would suggest before plumping for one or the other, got to a multi marque bike shop, where, hopefully, you can sit on a few and see how they feel, and then, whether you buy new, or go second hand, you know what you have a preference for. There is no reason to be put off by chinese bikes.

However, don't take this the wrong way, but taking your lack of experience into account, I'd be wary of getting a 2nd hand 125, irrespective of manufacturer. By there very nature, many 125's have been first bikes by novice riders, that don't know how to look after them properly, and rag them silly. They don't seem to realise that a bike is a little more hands on than mummy's and daddy's car, mantainence wise, so, there is more risk involved in buying a 2nd hand 125, than there is in say, buying a 2nd hand 650.

CorriganJ
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 07:30 - 19 Jun 2020    Post subject: Re: Questions from the completely overwhelmed Reply with quote

DaveWilby88 wrote:
Afternoon Everyone!

after a short time of thinking, sleeping, eating and especially drinking on it, I have decided to take the jump and get a bike. I have my CBT booked in for next month and have been practising on my father in laws scooter in the large field behind the house.

I know this is a lot of questions, but I need someone just to straighten it all out for me. I know it can be down to personal preference, but if that was the case i would end up having nearly a dozen bikes! Laughing

I appreciate all your help on this guys, and I am sorry for the mess of questions Laughing

My advice - I love the idea of fixing my own bike up and customising something cool, BUT, I was really glad I got my first bike in working order. As a new rider there is a lot to learn and a lot to think about, and the last thing you want is a technical issue.

I had one small mishap on my second ride - I set off with the choke on because I wasn't sure which way it was meant to be. Going along a dual carridgeway I give it a handful of throttle and the bike just stalls at 50mph. I'm free wheeling in the fast lane losing speed, trying to get the bike to start again, and can't pull over to the left because I'm being undertaken by impatient drivers. I had to pull into the right hand side of the road, feeling really really vulnerable, flip the choke switch (down on the engine, couldn't find it while moving) and start off again, with cars coming up fast behind me. It was not a nice experience at all, especially as a new rider. I'm glad it was something minor. But imagine if there was a more serious engine or carb issue, or a badly set up chain, or a wheel that starts wobbling because it wasn't tightened properly. Basically, those are things you don't want to have to worry about as a new rider, so its best to get a bike you KNOW is going to work, worry less about potential mechanical problems, and more about learning rider skills.

Also, when building a bike, you really need to know how it is supposed to feel. If you have never ridden before, how do you know what is right? Is that level of handlebar vibration normal, or is it a symptom of a problem? If you have no reference point for what a moto should ride like, you have no idea if you fixed it properly. Also, its a waste of money restoring a 125. So my suggestion - buy an older 125, get some experience on that, pass your test, then buy a cool bike and restore that if you still want to.

EDIT: For your back... maybe riding isn't a great idea? But try different seating positions. Personally my Honda XR125L is really comfortable to ride, and my Hyosung GT125 is much less comfortable. So maybe look for a dual sport?
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 312 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2