Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

I think I'm bad at this

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

CorriganJ
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 07:43 - 19 Jun 2020    Post subject: I think I'm bad at this Reply with quote

Yeah, I think I'm not a very good rider. Title says it all. Been exploring the Sierra de Guadarrama (and getting lost on the Spanish motorway system as well) and probably have 500 miles under my belt now. I'm past the stage where I am just wobbling all over the place at low speeds, and feel comfortable riding, but god I'm slow. Yesterday I got overtaken by someone on a push bike.

I was going down some twisty mountain roads and taking the corners really slow (about 30mph, which was actually the speed limit) because they were steep. And this nutter in lycra comes speeding up behind me, hovers on my tail but won't overtake. I increase my speed to get away from him because he keeps weaving across my tail, and he sticks right with me up to 80kmh (50mph) on a bloody push bike. I have no idea how but this absolute nutter is taking corners way way faster than I can. I easily could have built up distance between the corners but I would have been doing double the speed limit if I had. Eventually he gets bored of my slow ass and overtakes.

Anyway, just was a wake up call that I am a very, very slow cornerer. I think I might just not be good at riding fast.

Unrelatedly, the bike was really struggling on the way up. Maxed out at 30mph on the uphill. I guess this was because of the altitude (1800m) and the bike being carbureted? Was fine on the motorway on the way home. Fun day in all.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 08:34 - 19 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's the bike? If it's a 125, going up gradients that steep may well just be the limiting factor with regard to speed although yes, 1,800m is getting to the point where it will be starting to affect the engine.

Anyway, from riding a pushbike on some of the roads in that area, even I hit 40mph on some of the downslopes, and I'm an unfit, overweight guy who wasn't slipstreaming a motorbike.

Anyway, 50mph on a pushbike is scary and unstable so he was probably a total nutter and it'sd all good fun until you crash into a ravine full of cactus.

Ride for you and your own comfort levels. Don't feel the need to keep up withanyone else or speed up because someone is behind you. As you say, the limit was 30 and you were doing 50 anyway... The faster you TRY to go, the worse it'll get, concentrate on visability and smoothness.

Never does any harm to read up on cornering technique though, especially with regard to road positioning for maximum visability, "reading corners" using vanishing points and countersteering. Lots of content online about this.

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:05 - 19 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Learn how to corner, positioning, lines to take, etc. Put that in to practice, speed then gradually comes naturally.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:26 - 19 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

wr6133 wrote:
Learn how to corner, positioning, lines to take, etc. Put that in to practice, speed then gradually comes naturally.

That.

I was out in the lanes on my Bullet the other day when I got caught up behind some traffic. Made progress to the front and found that a line of cars were being held up by a learner motorcyclist. Female, not that it should make any difference, on an MT125 and with - I'd guess - her hubby behind on a litre sportsbike of some description. She was as slow as hell. But at the point I caught her it was difficult to overtake as I could see she was concentrating hard on it, so didn't want to buzz her out of her zone, and the road got narrower / twistier at that point. Followed her for ~1.5 miles or so. What did I notice?

I noticed that she had really good lines. Like, really good - she'd clearly read up a lot on roadcraft and was bringing all of the theory into her practice. She was still slow, but picking the right lines and learning that flow is a more important step than just adding speed. When she gets more confident, the speed will just come, because the rest is all in place.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 09:37 - 19 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:

I noticed that she had really good lines. Like, really good - she'd clearly read up a lot on roadcraft and was bringing all of the theory into her practice. She was still slow, but picking the right lines and learning that flow is a more important step than just adding speed. When she gets more confident, the speed will just come, because the rest is all in place.

I was saying that to my Mrs last year. She did her IAM training earlier in the year so she can marshall triathalons. We did a Euro run later in the year to the Vosage and she was still pretty slow compared to me but her approach was bang-on. I pointed out that most of the people in our bike club -myself included- got quick by trial and error and being lucky, doing it wrong and living to tell the tale. She's done it the right way by learning how to do it right then building up to being quick.

All came together at the end of the Summer when she was at the front of the pack of mostly litre+ bikes on one of our runs up in NW Scotland spanking the arse off her wee CBR6, carving it through the twisties like a pro and breezing past the point and squirt power-ranger brigade as she lifted it up out of the corners. I told her she needs to get a pink helmet or jacket just so they know they got the hard pass put on them by a girl on a 20 year old bike...

CorriganJ
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 10:13 - 19 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

wr6133 wrote:

Sounds like a great idea - where does one learn that?

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:21 - 19 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

CorriganJ wrote:

Sounds like a great idea - where does one learn that?

I'm not a great fan of it, but:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgOPZWNswvY

It does at least give you somewhere to start on basic cornering techniques.

Further to that, look for videos that will teach you cornering lines on the road. Roadcraft stuff.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:25 - 19 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

CorriganJ wrote:
where does one learn that?

What Arry said + practice, practice, practice.

dynax
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 10:36 - 19 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a look through some of these clips on counter steering, they helped me a lot to understand and i can take corners faster and smoother now from practising these techniques Thumbs Up

https://www.youtube.com/user/motorman857/videos

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:04 - 19 Jun 2020    Post subject: Re: I think I'm bad at this Reply with quote

CorriganJ wrote:
Yeah, I think I'm not a very good rider.

How many miles (or km) have you ridden, in total?

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:05 - 19 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would actually suggest that in the right circumstances (e.g. on a seriously twisty steep descent where a bicycle's inability to accelerate doesn't really factor into thing) a racing bicycle (with a good rider) could out-corner most (all?) motorcycles!

More generally though, there are loads of factors to cornering fluidly on a motorbike. Counter steering, posture, where you're looking etc. and they all add up. To make them work, as said, you need to practice them lots though. It's surprising how it comes together, suddenly corners that felt like you were teetering on the edge of death at 30mph you're then taking at 40mph smoothly and easily. Keep at it. Thumbs Up

CorriganJ
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 11:26 - 19 Jun 2020    Post subject: Re: I think I'm bad at this Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:
CorriganJ wrote:
Yeah, I think I'm not a very good rider.

I reckon about 500miles in all. Not a lot.

CorriganJ
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 11:27 - 19 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThunderGuts wrote:
I would actually suggest that in the right circumstances (e.g. on a seriously twisty steep descent where a bicycle's inability to accelerate doesn't really factor into thing) a racing bicycle (with a good rider) could out-corner most (all?) motorcycles!

I figured I had thicker tires so could lean more and go faster than the bicycle - maybe thats not how it works.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:36 - 19 Jun 2020    Post subject: Re: I think I'm bad at this Reply with quote

CorriganJ wrote:
Riejufixing wrote:

I reckon about 500miles in all. Not a lot.

No, not a lot. I generally reckon it can take a thousand miles just to get properly used to a new vehicle, let alone a first one.

You don't have to go fast, but if you are going so slowly on ordinary roads, rather than up hills and on hairpins, that you are often holding traffic up, you could perhaps take some lessons, IF you get to the stage where you think you are not improving.

However, I suspect that on ordinary roads, you are OK. Is that so?

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:38 - 19 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Downhill on a small bike:

https://youtu.be/bCHU3G4GuX4?t=149

(BTW, 2 stroke so that's why he's coasting down.)

Small wheelbase (bicycle) = less stable therefore easier to corner. Don't sweat it.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 12:45 - 19 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

CorriganJ wrote:

I figured I had thicker tires so could lean more and go faster than the bicycle - maybe thats not how it works.

It's not. Thinner tyres have a smaller cross-section radius so will lean over further and corner faster. There is a pay-off because they also have a smaller contact area for grip. You need both. You need more grip on a motorcycle because it's heavier.

At your stage I usually give two tips, don't get lost in minutiae:

1) Look where you want to go. Look at whwere you want to end up being, not at the road in front of you, the thing you want to avoid or your clutch lever.
2) The handlebars are for steering, not holding on to. You hold on with your bum, feet and knees, the bars are for controlling the bike.

CorriganJ
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 13:12 - 19 Jun 2020    Post subject: Re: I think I'm bad at this Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:

Yeah more or less got the hang of long sweeping curves, I can hang with the traffic on them (engine power permitting) but tight corners I still take super slow. I mean I guess if I was trying to go as fast as I could down that mountain I would have just gunned it into the straights and braked hard into the corners, but I was trying not to speed on the striaghts, while not holding traffic up in the corners, if that makes sense. I love roundabouts too. Something about that transition from a left turn straight into a right.

notbike
Formerly known as
notabikeranymore

PostPosted: 17:37 - 19 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everyone started off much shitter than they now are however many years down the line.

Don't rush. 500 Miles is a weekend or two of riding.

I almost hit a bus head-on when I got my 125. Who doesn't see a fucking bus?

Take any advice here and then come back in 5000 miles and report on progress.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 18:45 - 19 Jun 2020    Post subject: Re: I think I'm bad at this Reply with quote

CorriganJ wrote:
I mean I guess if I was trying to go as fast as I could down that mountain I would have just gunned it into the straights and braked hard into the corners,

Not really, smooth and progressive is fastest. Hard on the brakes and power just upsets the "trim" (front to rear loading) of your bike and makes for scrappy cornering because the suspension is loaded in odd ways.

The tyres stick you to the road, the suspension keeps them on it.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:18 - 19 Jun 2020    Post subject: Re: I think I'm bad at this Reply with quote

CorriganJ wrote:
Riejufixing wrote:

Yeah more or less got the hang of long sweeping curves, I can hang with the traffic on them (engine power permitting) but tight corners I still take super slow. I mean I guess if I was trying to go as fast as I could down that mountain I would have just gunned it into the straights and braked hard into the corners, but I was trying not to speed on the striaghts, while not holding traffic up in the corners, if that makes sense. I love roundabouts too. Something about that transition from a left turn straight into a right.

So that's good. If you don't feel safe, you probably aren't, so don't push it, you haven't done enough miles to even get used to riding yet.

Then there's the question of speed limits, and tailgaters. If someone's pushing you, at whatever speed, they can either overtake, or find another road, as my old instructor used to say. If you're driving something really slow, like an old tractor, or you just want to go at less than the speed limit, just make sure people can overtake from time to time. That said, there are some people who if you slow right down to let them pass will slow right down with you, even if it's clear for them to overtake. The collective term for these is "arseholes".

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:27 - 20 Jun 2020    Post subject: Re: I think I'm bad at this Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:
Then there's the question of speed limits, and tailgaters. If someone's pushing you, at whatever speed, they can either overtake, or find another road, as my old instructor used to say. If you're driving something really slow, like an old tractor, or you just want to go at less than the speed limit, just make sure people can overtake from time to time. That said, there are some people who if you slow right down to let them pass will slow right down with you, even if it's clear for them to overtake. The collective term for these is "arseholes".

Mmmm... I had this recently with the DT: was still trying to figure out the jetting/airleak issue so gingerly riding around on suburban roads i.e. all 30 limit. I'm going along a residential road doing 25~30 and a fecker overtakes me?! Seriously, the main road through the town (still 30) I could understand it but if I lived in London these roads would all be 20.

Don't let someone else being a fuck-up fuck you up* Smile

*I really don't need any outside help, thankyou

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:54 - 20 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meef wrote:
Everyone started off much shitter than they now are however many years down the line.

Don't rush. 500 Miles is a weekend or two of riding.

This. Don't sweat it - 500 miles is nothing.

Prawny
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 12:25 - 22 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don’t feel bad, 500 miles is nothing I’ve been riding my little scooter for a year last week and covered about 5000 miles and I’m still nervy on it.

And definitely don’t feel bad about being overtaken by a cyclist coming down a mountain road, I’m a cycling fanatic and the motorcycle outriders in bike races have a real time getting out of the way of the cyclists on mountain roads and those guys are great riders.

I went to watch a town centre race a few years ago and the camera bike had to get a bit of a lead before one section on the flat because the cyclists were faster through there than the moto, and he was scraping pegs every lap, with a pillion, sat backwards, holding a camera.

CorriganJ
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 16:30 - 22 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prawny wrote:
Don’t feel bad, 500 miles is nothing I’ve been riding my little scooter for a year last week and covered about 5000 miles and I’m still nervy on it.

And definitely don’t feel bad about being overtaken by a cyclist coming down a mountain road, I’m a cycling fanatic and the motorcycle outriders in bike races have a real time getting out of the way of the cyclists on mountain roads and those guys are great riders.

I went to watch a town centre race a few years ago and the camera bike had to get a bit of a lead before one section on the flat because the cyclists were faster through there than the moto, and he was scraping pegs every lap, with a pillion, sat backwards, holding a camera.
Ha, thats great!

slowside
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 12:46 - 30 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't vividly recall what I was like with just 500 miles experience, but I can confidently say I was probably terrible.

However, I was super cautious and observant (and therefore slow).

It's a good way to start out your riding career I'd say. I'm faster and more confident now, but I still keep my mind on 'cautious and observant' when I ride.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 300 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2