Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Overseas police stop checks

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

SirFallalot
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 17:41 - 29 Jun 2020    Post subject: Overseas police stop checks Reply with quote

I'm curious to know what police in France/Spain/Portugal check when stopped.

Just license and insurance? What about vehicle documents? (do you take the V5? in Portugal for eg there's a wallet sized handbook that must be kept on you at all times). How about Mot? (could check online if wise enough Laughing ) Would you do the local equivalent of an MOT? Probably don't care about tax.

Scenario: I want to leave my first bike in Portugal to drive on holidays. Planned to keep it insured, possibly declare it sorn, and well, ain't gonna ride it 3k miles for an mot.

Last edited by SirFallalot on 19:58 - 29 Jun 2020; edited 1 time in total

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:57 - 29 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any border manned crossing you get tugged for a look at will want a V5.

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:04 - 29 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it France? Which bike were you thinking of leaving there? And which region? There is a messy bit of bureaucracy called Crit Air - cheap to get the certificate but not so easy to work out if you'll need one (depends on where you're going, and on the Euro compliance of the bike). No idea if they actually check for this when stopping foreign-registered vehicles.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:00 - 29 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always had a document wallet with passport, V5, Insurance certificate, MOT, AA recovery, E111 and health insurance.

That was for EEC countries. Extra things might be needed in other countries.

My whole philosophy was that I had everything on me any plod might want so it was easier for them to give me a bollocking for whatever and send me on my way than have to dig and dig where he might decide if its so much trouble he might as well just do me.

SirFallalot
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 20:06 - 29 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Portugal is the target Very Happy

Bikes are both expensive to buy or import, and upkeep is high.
Baffles me a bit somewhere where money doesn't go as long a way that tax is much higher than here (€110 for a 125, €160 for a 600).

I planned to take and leave my CB400 there. Although I "upgraded", it'd be more than enough for there, and I'm having a heart time it putting up for sale, such is my stupid attachment to the metal thing.

My only concern is more towards the MOT, can keep it insured, with no border checks it's not possible to know how many days the bike is where anyway. but no mot might invalidate an overseas claim? Etc etc....

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 20:42 - 29 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you're dancing a fine line. The local police will eventually notice it being there all the time and get suspicious as to why it's not been registered locally.

Most insurance will only cover you for a fixed amount of time out of the country anyway.

blurredman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:34 - 29 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I managed to get into Rumania with no documents at all but my Passport. But I did have to dismount everything on the bike, clothes out the bags, tank off. Torch inside and tapping etc.
I genuinely forgot my V5, and once I got past I realised how far one can go without checks..

Getting out however wasn't so much of an issue, but I am pretty sure the guard (post kiosks) asked me to pull over for himself to do some checks- but I didn't.

The most important document is V5. Some countries want insurance proof too- but once again some have let me in without reading the fine detail properly..
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

SirFallalot
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 00:52 - 30 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
I think you're dancing a fine line. The local police will eventually notice it being there all the time and get suspicious as to why it's not been registered locally.

Disregardable possibly, it'd be garaged on the countryside when I'm away, I'd be using it for city to city jumps on our very beautiful roads.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 00:54 - 30 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheWhiteBaron wrote:
stinkwheel wrote:

Disregardable possibly, it'd be garaged on the countryside when I'm away, I'd be using it for city to city jumps on our very beautiful roads.

I suspect you're justifying and want us to justify too.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

SirFallalot
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 09:11 - 30 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:

I suspect you're justifying and want us to justify too.

I don't want to justify, I want to know if it would be possible. My concern is keeping insurance valid in case of crash. Without border checks I don't know how it'd be possible to know how many days the bike was where.

TheDonUK
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:45 - 30 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

The lack of borders does actually make this an interesting question.

Once you leave the UK, UK M.O.T and road tax are irrelevant.

If you were stopped you would be asked for your driving licence, motorbike document (so V5 in our case) and perhaps insurance and perhaps passport.

Generally most countries allow foreigners to enter and drive/ride their vehicle for a given time (usually 3-6 months) before you would need to do an import and all the things that go with that.

Many people do this in south america where upon crossing the border you are given 3 months, you only need to exit another land border and return (most at least stay overnight) and the clock resets. As there are no closed borders between spain and portugal you would probably get away with your plan as long as you can hold fast under pressure and when questioned produce your licence, V5 and something that looks like insurance covering the country you are in.

If you were involved in a serious accident I would imagine any insurance you do have would find a way to wiggle out of paying.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 298 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1