Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Just popped in to say hello.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

chalkhills
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 20:12 - 21 Jun 2020    Post subject: Just popped in to say hello. Reply with quote

Hi Folks,

Just registered and thought I'd say hi. I'm just starting the process of getting my full bike licence. Theory is booked for August, the first date I could get, then it'll be the CBT. I'm staggering out the modules rather than do the compressed DAS to spread the cost and give me a chance to focus on one at a time.

More than a bit anxious as I haven't been on a bike since the 1980's and that was the old RD125lc.

This is something that I have been dreaming about for many years but always managed to find something/someone else to spend the money on.

Bikes that I am thinking of as a first big bike are Fazer , Bandit, ZR-7 and even the Divvy (been getting stick for that one)

Looking forward to chatting and picking your brains for tips Very Happy

ATB

Chalk

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:29 - 21 Jun 2020    Post subject: Re: Just popped in to say hello. Reply with quote

Welcome.

chalkhills wrote:
Looking forward to chatting and picking your brains for tips Very Happy

What?

Shocked

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 22:42 - 21 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't get a divvy.

Admittedly the one I had for a week as a courtesy bike was an old model but hell that was a dull as ditchwater motorcycle. As I said elsewhere only tonight, I'd rather drive my van than ride a 600 divvy, the van at least has a radio.
bikerlady20 This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:32 - 14 Aug 2020    Post subject: Re: Just popped in to say hello. Reply with quote

bikerlady20 wrote:

Hi Chalk!

Nice idea to start this thread, it's also interesting for me as I have also planned to get my license this year! It has always been a dream of mine to get it!

So hopefully there are still some answers and recommendations to come and I'll sneak in and read along too, haha Very Happy

Hi there Thumbs Up

Good luck getting your licence. Where are you in the process at the moment? Have you had any training yet?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
radlerin This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Spam). Unhide this post / all posts.

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:12 - 22 Nov 2020    Post subject: Re: Just popped in to say hello. Reply with quote

chalkhills wrote:
Hi Folks,

Just registered and thought I'd say hi.

More than a bit anxious as I haven't been on a bike since the 1980's and that was the old RD125lc.

ATB

Chalk

Hello Mr Chalky.
You’ll be fine it’s just like riding a bike Doh! once you’ve done it, you never forget Very Happy you’ll just be a bit rusty at first.
Welcome to the forum.
Some of those replies look a bit like chat-bot replies??

Old LC’s rock, even the 125’s Thumbs Up
Old Thread Alert!

There is a gap of 1 year, 162 days between these two posts...

chalkhills
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 11:39 - 04 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK,

After the last 2 years of lockdowns, and general mayhem caused by covid I'm now back on track!

Passed my theory test 2 weeks ago and got my CBT booked for FRIDAY 13th Surprised

I will then be planning to do mods 1 & 2 spread out over the summer.

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:12 - 04 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck - you'll love it. Thumbs Up

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:57 - 05 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

so what bike are you hoping to get?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

BRUN
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 16:13 - 05 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

chalkhills wrote:
OK,

After the last 2 years of lockdowns, and general mayhem caused by covid I'm now back on track!

Passed my theory test 2 weeks ago and got my CBT booked for FRIDAY 13th Surprised

I will then be planning to do mods 1 & 2 spread out over the summer.

well done, keep going, covid etc messed me about a lot, should have been passed at least 6 months earlier than i was, but got there eventually

chalkhills
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 13:11 - 07 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers guys,

I can't wait to get started. Which of the 2 modules did you all think was the hardest?

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:30 - 07 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mod 1 is a controlled environment with no drivers on their phones or hurrying DPD vans pulling out right, left and centre. Just you, doing your manoeuvres, in a compound. For this reason alone Mod 1 is easier. But factor in that it takes under 10 minutes and surely Mod 2 HAS to be harder. Mod 2 is more like 45 minutes isn't it? It's more than 30 anyway.

I suppose some might argue that the artificial setting of Mod 1 is freaky and weird, and harder to relax into. But surely those riders would be in the minority.

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:34 - 07 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you going the zero to hero route
ie do courses then buy a 600 sorta thing?

I'll guess you have a car license but riding a bike has
changed since the 80's mainly due to traffic density.

I'd suggest you get a geared 125 shitter to practise and get two wheeled road experience on

struan80
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:15 - 07 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

chalkhills wrote:
Cheers guys,

I can't wait to get started. Which of the 2 modules did you all think was the hardest?

I would say the mod 2 was harder. Got to keep your wits about you all the time whereas mod 1 is some Throttle, brake and clutch control. Mod 2 is a lot of throttle, brake and clutch control.

Ayrton
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:06 - 07 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

chalkhills wrote:
Cheers guys,

2 was harder as anything could happen on the road. Mod 1 is just doing what you've practiced dozens of times before but with an instructor watching you, so just don't let the nerves mess you up and try to relax.

chalkhills
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 00:20 - 08 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

to v or not to v wrote:

Well, I thought I had narrowed it down to a couple of models. However, after meeting up with my instructor for a chat at the local dealership, I'm back to square one! There's so many nice new models out that I hadn't even considered.

I quite like the look of the Honda CB650R and the Kawasaki z650. But if I'm being sensible I'll probably keep it cheap for my first bike and maybe look at something like an FZ6 or the newer XJ6 which can be picked up reasonably cheapish.

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:17 - 08 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

chalkhills wrote:
to v or not to v wrote:

Well, I thought I had narrowed it down to a couple of models. However, after meeting up with my instructor for a chat at the local dealership, I'm back to square one! There's so many nice new models out that I hadn't even considered.

I quite like the look of the Honda CB650R and the Kawasaki z650. But if I'm being sensible I'll probably keep it cheap for my first bike and maybe look at something like an FZ6 or the newer XJ6 which can be picked up reasonably cheapish.

well whatever you decide on, make sure to test ride it first, or you may end up regretting it.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:44 - 08 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

just get what the school's got and learn to rag fuck out of it

Zen Dog
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:56 - 09 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

chalkhills wrote:
But if I'm being sensible I'll probably keep it cheap for my first bike

Yes. Do that. Most people drop their first big bike at some point and if it's shiny and expensive you'll cry. Get something cheap, ideally with engine bars.

If you tell us what your budget is, and what qualities you're looking for, you might get some suggestions for suitable bikes. But really, you probably aren't going to know what you really like until you've been riding for a while.

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:13 - 09 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mod 1 is harder IMO, at least as someone who was already a driver so knew how the roads "work". Yes the open road is uncontrolled, but the mod2 assessment is all about how you deal with those environments. There's no rush, not ultra-precise agenda to follow. You just ride.

Mod 1 is ultra-pedantic. Go too slowly, fail. Stop at the wrong point, fail. Don't do shoulder checks religiously on every manoeuvre (even though you're in a fenced-in area with total knowledge there are no other vehicles), fail. It's all about precisely following a set formula, but it's not a completely logical formula and is unlikely to resemble anything you can draw on, so you need to have it nailed in your memory. That's why I think mod 1 is harder.

chalkhills
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 08:39 - 14 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well that's the CBT ticked off the list. I had a great day doing this at AMT in Weston Turville which is such a pretty village. The sun was shining and the countryside surroundings were beautiful.

I did the CBT on a VanVan which seemed to be a fun little bike, but as I'm 6'1 I found the my knees became a bit niggley on the longer road section (could just be my age Very Happy ).

Anyway, hopefully now onto the big bike training.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:31 - 14 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThunderGuts wrote:
Mod 1 is harder IMO, at least as someone who was already a driver so knew how the roads "work". Yes the open road is uncontrolled, but the mod2 assessment is all about how you deal with those environments. There's no rush, not ultra-precise agenda to follow. You just ride.

Mod 1 is ultra-pedantic. Go too slowly, fail. Stop at the wrong point, fail. Don't do shoulder checks religiously on every manoeuvre (even though you're in a fenced-in area with total knowledge there are no other vehicles), fail. It's all about precisely following a set formula, but it's not a completely logical formula and is unlikely to resemble anything you can draw on, so you need to have it nailed in your memory. That's why I think mod 1 is harder.

yes - what I said about mod 1 being easier....I was kind of assuming people buy a 125 and pay their dues on that, not to mention also use it as a way to practice the mod 1 shit...i used to ride to a titchy local industrial estate out here in the sticks, every sunday, and chalk some lines out in tighter dimensions than the mod 1 drills, and then foreshorten them some more once i'd done it a few times, and see how small i could do a u turn or a the figure of 8 etc. etc.

true, it was still different again doing it on the school's cbf600 (fat bastard thing that it was, although ultra smooth), but that wasn't really relevant cos i was very confident thanks to the pissing about on sunday mornings i'd been doing - and confidence is a massive part of it, maybe the biggest

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:33 - 14 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

chalkhills wrote:
Well that's the CBT ticked off the list. I had a great day doing this at AMT in Weston Turville which is such a pretty village. The sun was shining and the countryside surroundings were beautiful.

I did the CBT on a VanVan which seemed to be a fun little bike, but as I'm 6'1 I found the my knees became a bit niggley on the longer road section (could just be my age Very Happy ).

Anyway, hopefully now onto the big bike training.

nice one

i had a vanvan - it was oddly fun, but (predictably) very slow - great for town stuff though, I thought

BRUN
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 16:07 - 17 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

mod1 is a weird one, really its easier but the enclosed environment, being watched so closely, gets the nerves going, whereas on the mod2 you just ride

you wont really know which bike you want until you have sat on a few, the one i wanted wasnt right for my ergonomics so had to get something else
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 1 year, 316 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3