BCF: Bike Chat Forums

MSG / Umami

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

goto10
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:01 - 22 Jun 2020    Post subject: MSG / Umami Reply with quote

MSG - Monosodium Glutamate, I've never really given this stuff much thought - I was always aware that it was in some takeaway food and also aware that a lot of products stamp "No MSG!" on their packaging - so I guess I've always viewed MSG as something to be avoided without really thinking about why.
Anyway - in recent months I've been cooking a fair bit of Chinese style food, some foods I could _never_ quite catch the certain je ne sais quoi of (takeaway/restaurant taste, egg fried rice, chow mein being the easy & obvious ones) - so after some Googling, I bought some MSG and started using it - bingo, I can now get the taste pretty much exactly the same as the restaurants (it's _so_ much better, the Chinese refer to the taste as umami, one of the five basic tastes - sweetness, sourness, bitterness, saltiness & umami)
I've since looked into it some more, the bad reputation seems mainly down to some bullshit test they did injecting mice with large doses of MSG, you get the usual hysterical posts and people claiming to feel bad side effects from it (which have been debunked using double-blind trials) - but in general I've now lumped it into the Gluten category [Coeliacs excepted] - one of those foods that are almost trendy to avoid or to pretend to be intolerant to, without any real substance behind why.
It also turns out that MSG is in far more foods than you'd realise, so even if you're avoiding it, you're probably eating & enjoying it without noticing any side effects.

Anyone else embrace it, or hysterically reject it?

"... at no time has any official body, governmental or academic, ever found it necessary to warn humans against consuming MSG"

TL:DR - MSG = Makes Stuff Good.
https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2005/jul/10/foodanddrink.features3
https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/wordofmouth/2013/apr/09/umami-fifth-taste

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:24 - 22 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chinese? Is it anything to do with bats?

Oh no, wait a minute...MSG...it'll come to me....

Michael Schenker Group! Very Happy
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 17:43 - 22 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

MSG = Macaulay (Culkin) secreting anally.

"It also turns out that Macaulay Culkin is secreting anally in far more foods than you'd realise, so even if you're avoiding it, you're probably eating & enjoying it without noticing any side effects."

Thinking

Poseidon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:50 - 22 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funnily enough I did a fair bit of reading on these sorts of things when I was at university and had unrestricted access to most of the scientific journals. I too stopped worrying about MSG in my food after reading how shoddy the original studies were.

Another one is aspartame. I read a meta analysis on its effects, having heard all the "gives you cancer, causes migraines, makes you depressed, causes dementia, turns your liver to fat etc etc". I can't remember the details as it was a few years ago now, but aside from some very very specific individuals who have a particular condition (quick google, it's called Phenylketonuria or PKU for short), it's harmless. Most of the studies suggesting otherwise were lacking in participants, run over very short periods or skewed in some way or another.

The Artist
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:01 - 22 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

MSG is great.

Aspartame is probably the most studied food additive and there is still no conclusive evidence it is bad.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Poseidon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:13 - 22 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Artist wrote:
Aspartame is probably the most studied food additive and there is still no conclusive evidence it is bad.

[tinfoilhat] The powerful sugar lobby pay researchers to falsify results to make aspartame out to be the bad guy to protect their profits [/tinfoilhat]

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 18:48 - 22 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aspartame tastes minging though. Pure gives me the bowk.

There are other ways to impart umami into food than MSG. Soy is one, Fish extracts are another as are seaweed products. Mushrooms too, particularly dried ones, shitakes especially.

Miso paste is a classic, I'll often make up a miso soup and use that as the stock for a chinese dish (yes, I know miso is Japanese, but it works really well).

We use it in Western cookery too, we just didn't have a word for it. Sundried tomatoes, dried Cep, Lava seaweed, anchovies, parmesan. Worcester sauce is a big hitting umami source. Make a casserole sauce using rehydrated dried cep (use the liquid too) and a couple of anchovies in the mix.

I have a pot of seasalt with dried lava in it that I use in dry rubs on meat. Omnomnom.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:57 - 22 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

WHO seems to be bad for this insofar as they'll over-report risks. Pump a rat full of whatever and it will die just before it bursts, but there's no correlation with real life. Too conservative. Everything will kill you eventually.

Poseidon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:03 - 22 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Aspartame tastes minging though. Pure gives me the bowk.

Agreed.

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:51 - 22 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I anecdotally find MSG laden Chinese food gives me palpitations. That said it could also be that the Chinese takeaway laces their food with loads of salt (or something else) that actually causes it. Either way it means I tend to avoid it (not hard as I cook most stuff from scratch anyway).

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 22:06 - 22 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThunderGuts wrote:
I anecdotally find MSG laden Chinese food gives me palpitations. That said it could also be that the Chinese takeaway laces their food with loads of salt (or something else) that actually causes it. Either way it means I tend to avoid it (not hard as I cook most stuff from scratch anyway).

Last time I bought Chinese food from a takeaway it gave me about a week of explosive diarrhoea two days off work in bed. This had nothing to do with the MSG content and everything to do with the Salmonella and Campylobacter content.

Fisty
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:07 - 22 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like MSG, I have a bag of it. I find just a pinch in gravy is amazing.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Peanut_Butter
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 22:09 - 22 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suddenly want a Chinese...

Back on topic! Everyone loves my mum's gravy from her Sunday Roast, it has MSG in it. We have a family friend that believes he's allergic to MSG and therefore avoids take aways yet he's never had the reaction with mums cooking...

Fisty
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:12 - 22 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peanut_Butter wrote:
Everyone loves my mum's gravy

You can't beat good lady gravy.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:22 - 22 Jun 2020    Post subject: Re: MSG / Umami Reply with quote

goto10 wrote:
MSG - Monosodium Glutamate, I've never really given this stuff much thought

It is called the "magic salt". You sprinkle it on and it works magic!

It is not good for your blood pressure, however, and especially if you are of the female sex.

Peanut_Butter
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 22:23 - 22 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fisty wrote:
Peanut_Butter wrote:
Everyone loves my mum's gravy

You can't beat good lady gravy.

There's always one isn't there...

Fisty
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:26 - 22 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peanut_Butter wrote:

There's always one isn't there...

And it's usually me.

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:32 - 23 Jun 2020    Post subject: Re: MSG / Umami Reply with quote

goto10 wrote:
the Chinese refer to the taste as umami, one of the five basic tastes - sweetness, sourness, bitterness, saltiness & umami)

Xianwei, umami is a jap word. It refers to a specific taste and has existed long, long before MSG was invented. Hope your cooking is better than your cultural awareness.

Its not used alot in home cooking. We have it on the shelf my wife rarely uses it. Takeaways embrace it because its a fast cheap way to flavour.

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:17 - 23 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love MSG, it just doesn't love me. I get thumping headaches with it.
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:38 - 23 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Artist wrote:

Yeah but it tastes vile and too much of it gives you the runs.

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:30 - 23 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was in Chyinah it was everywhere, a bog standard to most meals. Like salt but even more ubiquitous. Honestly, it took me a good couple of years to get used to it; I did feel like it was 'cancer sprinkles', which is bollocks really and just goes to show you should research things before getting outraged over them. Tastes great.

I agree with wr6133, it's mainly used in restaurants and takeaways. In my experience (Sichuan food), home cooking is more about what kind of oil you mix everything with.

For that extra dose of authenticity, try hacking a chicken to bits with a meat cleaver and boiling it all for an hour. Apparently if you do it that way it adds to the flavour. You can then double up on your authenticity by having a collection of spat out bone shards next to your plate.

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:31 - 23 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
ThunderGuts wrote:

Last time I bought Chinese food from a takeaway it gave me about a week of explosive diarrhoea two days off work in bed. This had nothing to do with the MSG content and everything to do with the Salmonella and Campylobacter content.

I have observed the symptoms I experienced on a recurring basis, always from Chinese takeaways and from all of the three I've tried. Yet when I cook the same dishes at home (using the same sorts of ingredients too as I shop at the massive Chinese supermarket in town), I have none of the symptoms (even though I'm quite generous with the soy sauce, which makes me think it's not salt content). This leads me to believe it's something that the takeaways add to their food that I don't and the only thing I can think of is MSG.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:39 - 23 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

MSG simply Asian Salt.
Sodium group with all the stuff that entails.
I use as I do Table salt.

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:14 - 23 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord Percy wrote:

For that extra dose of authenticity, try hacking a chicken to bits with a meat cleaver and boiling it all for an hour. Apparently if you do it that way it adds to the flavour. You can then double up on your authenticity by having a collection of spat out bone shards next to your plate.

My other half switched to using a pressure cooker.... Very Happy

Once you get past the slightly odd texture and the 1.3 million bone shards it's properly tasty.

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:56 - 23 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

wr6133 wrote:

Once you get past the slightly odd texture and the 1.3 million bone shards it's properly tasty.

There's enough properly tasty grub in China without needing to risk choking on a shin flake! It usually tastes fine but I just can't ever be arsed with all the bone sifting.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 301 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2