Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Wot Bike M8? An actual bike chat on BCF

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:14 - 24 Jun 2020    Post subject: Wot Bike M8? An actual bike chat on BCF Reply with quote

I seem to be really struggling with this and for various reasons which I'll go on to explaining somewhat below. But it's fair to say this won't be your traditional 'which bike shall I buy' thread in that I'm also asking for personal experiences of the bikes I have tried / owned because, well, there's a chance I might have just gone a bit flowery Laughing

My background:
Riding ~12 years. Not a serial mile muncher but not a sunny day only garage queen either. Not a serial speed merchant but I don't hang about either. I'm relatively capable on a bike but I'm in no way a Valentino Marquez; I hold my own on group rides but I'm often looking to be a little less 'on it' when riding on my tod. Cornering wise I'm not a knee down expert and I don't wheelie out of turns like a demon, but I'm decent enough to get the chicken strips off and make good progress.

When I use the 'big bike' is often when I'll be out with a mate or I'm going longer distances - the Enfield tends to get used for 100 mile runs, big bike 200 mile runs. And of course when I go 'touring' which is invariably a 750-1000 mile long weekend.

'Big'Bikes (also had a couple of tiddlers) in my history are:
GPZ500.
CBR600F.
Triumph Sprint ST1050.
KTM990SMT.

Here's the current situation:
I've just sold my KTM 990 SMT which used to be my 'bike bike' and sat alongside my Royal Enfield Bullet 'little bike'. I'm now after another 'big bike' to replace the KTM.

Here's the problem:
For various reasons the KTM just became a pig for me to ride and I lost all confidence on it. Conversely, after fitting Roadrider 2's to the Enfield I'm hustling that thing around occasionally scraping bits of metal that really shouldn't be scraped. But every time I get on a 'big bike' ...... it just doesn't feel right.

Here's the background to the current situation and problem:
I've been a bit unlucky with health issues over the last ~5 years and that's led me to a place where sportsbikes or any sort of funky geometry on a machine just ain't gonna happen any more.

Firstly, I had a rotator cuff injury that meant pushing forward on the right hand clip on, on the Sprint, just stretched through bits of my arm / shoulder / neck I didn't like any more. Had to go, had to get to a more upright position. Bought the KTM - revelation. Able to sling it about again without any pain. Bolt upright position - wide bars - decent Thumbs Up.

Ironically the rotator cuff got better with physio and I have a near full range of movement back now, but I then got screwed over having a prolapsed disc which burst and took my sciatic nerve with it, leaving me with very little feeling down my left leg. That's the leg I invariably stop on, and I found that trying to 'catch' a top heavy tall bike like the KTM was a recipe for disaster. I also started to struggle with its jerky fuelling and on/off switch throttle, which led me to tense up on the bike and make everything worse, of course. Confidence went down the shitter, and I sold the bike to get back onto something I could once again feel comfortable on.

So, here I am now test riding 'big' bikes again and trying to find something I like. And I'm having issues - I just can't seem to lose the 'KTM nerves' of a 'big bike'. All the time, whilst this is going on, I'm doing loads of miles on the Enfield and really enjoying myself, and riding it faster than I probably should. So on the one hand it's me, but on the other hand, it's clear when I do find something I'm comfortable on I'm well away. How much of it is me, and how much of it is not being comfortable? That's the question....

What I've ridden so far:
MV Agusta Brutale 990R - which wasn't a great example but this had EXACTLY the type of handling I was looking for; really agile and on its nose but at the same time loads of grip and stability through the turn from the rear. There were three problems; one it had the same sort of low down response lumpiness the KTM had but to a lesser degree (I think I could have overcome this), two the bar controls were a PITA with non-adjustable clutch position and indicator switch nowhere near the span and three the seat perched me forwards - but without the lean of a sports bike - but I just felt like I was always bracing myself not to fall down the seat. Couldn't overcome that as I need to be comfortable in position so it went by wayside - but in essence I wanted that, but with a less lumpy throttle response low down and a more neutral seating position.

Ducati Monster 1200S - Just look at it Wub but felt cumbersome and laborious compared to the MV. Front end just gets pushed on by the rear if you're not hanging off the bike like an ape and the lumpy lumpy bits down low in the engine made me nervous again, just like the KTM. Shame as I wanted to love it but really didn't.

Other bikes I'm considering:
Ducati Monster 821 - but I don't know if I'm going to experience the same lumpiness down low, I guess I probably am. I might be able to get around that if the handling is more MV than 1200S.

Triumph Speed Triple - this is sort of 'going back' for me as I test rode a 2010 bike at the time and loved it; nearly bought it, but couldn't do the Speed for an only bike as wifey wanted to come out on back and she wouldn't get on that. Because of this I bought the Sprint. I guess a lot of the reasons I felt out of love with the Sprint is because it wasn't the Speed. I do keep coming back to this as a viable option. But I can't say it excites me and I don't know why that is. Not new to me, I guess?

Then there's these two/three:
Ducati Scrambler 800 - just for something totally different and 'chuck leg over' ease like the Enfield has for me.

Triumph Scrambler 900 - just because if you're considering the Ducati version then you'd have to sample both. Also interested in the Street Twin version.

But both of those I think are being driven by my need to just man up and get confidence back, and they should be easy confidence boosting bikes.

So I guess the questions are:
1) Am I missing anything from my list that's a must test / must consider?
2) Has anyone any experience of the bikes I'm talking about that they've just found 'not that bad' or what I've said is against their experience, meaning it's probably just me?
3) Any tips on how I can break the mental lock I seem to have put myself in?
4) Should I just man the hell up and #fireblade?

Cheers Smile

Pic of the 1200 just because Wall-o-Text:
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49979858066_6be381cd2a_c.jpg
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Old Git Racing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:40 - 24 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

MT 09 SP?

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:41 - 24 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know what to suggest (Street Triple). Made more difficult by not having the same physical limitation experience, although I have my own of those (Street Triple).

Needing to placate the wife too makes things even trickier (leave her at home and Street Triple).

Seems I keep getting stuck on one certain bike when I'm asked by people what they should get, but sometimes ULEZ kind of criteria mean you can't have a Fazer thou (Street Triple).

So I'll just wish you (a Street Triple) good luck on finding something that works for you Smile
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:49 - 24 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took a Street Triple out 2 years ago. It was the best bike I've ever ridden as a fun bike. It was a real delight, more than enough power, fantastic handling.
I don't know if you would find it comfortable though?

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:54 - 24 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

1198 wrote:
I took a Street Triple out 2 years ago. It was the best bike I've ever ridden as a fun bike. It was a real delight, more than enough power, fantastic handling.

Excellent idea! Very Happy
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 13:58 - 24 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

1198 wrote:

Yeah they are comfortable, particularly the earlier ones with a one piece seat. If I had to spend hours on the bike (at lower speeds) I'd rather do it on my Street Triple than my VFR.

arry, have you considered the GSX-S1000? It does look a bit vanilla but it's a bloody brilliant bike. It's also not top heavy. Similarly Z1000. I would say MT10 but they are supposed to be damn uncomfortable, and as it has a more sporting origin it may well be more top heavy. I found the Speed Triple one of the most top heavy bikes I've ridden, and although the Street carries it's weight high, is so light that you don't even notice.

A sportsbike (meaning with clip-ons) is never going to be comfortable, and if you've got injuries all that will happen is you just don't ride it, and I'm sure the same is true for bikes which you'll struggle to hold up on your gammy left leg.

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:06 - 24 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a Street Twin for a while. It was good fun, sounded great and low down pull was fantastic, but it wasn't particularly fast (the new ones get 64bhp rather than the 54bhp of the version I had) and my 5'10" height found the leg position cramped, not helped by the footpegs being slightly forwards of where I'd like them to be. It meant that clothing tended to pull tightly over the tops of the thighs - not comfortable for long distances.

Is your leg likely to improve over time and/or is it likely/possible your brain will adapt to give that feeling (perceived or real) back again?

Pure logic perspective; are you after something with a low CoG to make it easier to handle, not massively tall and with a fairly upright seating position . . . RNineT?

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:29 - 24 Jun 2020    Post subject: Re: Wot Bike M8? An actual bike chat on BCF Reply with quote

arry wrote:

So I guess the questions are:
1) Am I missing anything from my list that's a must test / must consider?
2) Has anyone any experience of the bikes I'm talking about that they've just found 'not that bad' or what I've said is against their experience, meaning it's probably just me?
3) Any tips on how I can break the mental lock I seem to have put myself in?
4) Should I just man the hell up and #fireblade?

1 - See Marjay's suggestion. His review of that bike on his thread would seem to suit you. Heck his review is so good I want one.

2 - Street Twin...... honestly it's an overpriced Enfield twin with slightly more power. I'd rather buy an Interceptor and use the change to bore and tune (I dislike most of the 40-60 BHP twins I've ridden though), that opinion is based on a 15 minute ride. A guy I work with has the Scambler 1200 and he waxes lyrical, he rides it in all weather and has no chicken strips so it must be half decent.

3 - You know what you want, the fact nobody makes it is the issue Laughing ..... so if you have to compromise better to take your time.

4 - You probably can, I can ride a 2001 GSXR, with spinal issues. Wouldn't bother though, you genuinely can't have fun on them much now. I was racing a Zed thou on the weekend, girl riding it kept up with me all the way home after I overtook. Roads were too crap for me to hustle it round corners at real speed and even on the straights the tarmac was so bad (pockmarked) I couldn't get much over 140 before headshake started. I'd bet in the real world Marjay's GSXS could stick to me like glue too, litre superbikes are (imo) a relic now (for road use).

Probably one you haven't considered but what about that big Indian (FTR1200?), upright, big torquey motor and (imo) looks fun.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 14:40 - 24 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I was going to go for a Triumph twin, it'd be the Speed Twin, which is basically a Thruxton with flat bars. 96bhp, 200kg and very good handling, so I understand.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:46 - 24 Jun 2020    Post subject: Re: Wot Bike M8? An actual bike chat on BCF Reply with quote

wr6133 wrote:

1 - See Marjay's suggestion. His review of that bike on his thread would seem to suit you. Heck his review is so good I want one.

Or how about trying the Z900 that he and I spoke of in that thread?
Has anyone here actually tried one?

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:53 - 24 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
If I was going to go for a Triumph twin, it'd be the Speed Twin, which is basically a Thruxton with flat bars. 96bhp, 200kg and very good handling, so I understand.

Good shout Thumbs Up

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:04 - 24 Jun 2020    Post subject: Re: Wot Bike M8? An actual bike chat on BCF Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:

It's actually on my list of "Bikes to pretend I want so the dealer lets me test ride". CoronaEbola Plague has stopped it happening though.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:09 - 24 Jun 2020    Post subject: Re: Wot Bike M8? An actual bike chat on BCF Reply with quote

wr6133 wrote:
chickenstrip wrote:

It's actually on my list of "Bikes to pretend I want so the dealer lets me test ride". CoronaEbola Plague has stopped it happening though.

I think I'd probably find I want to stick a turbocharger on one, but if it handles ok... Very Happy

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:27 - 24 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now this has done me proud. Thank you BCF masters Smile

Right, top down order:

Old Git: Afraid the MT09 in general does nothing for me, but I have from your suggestion rediscovered the XSR900 and that's got some potential, so I'll add it to the list of possibles Smile

Chickenstrip/(and 1198 to an extent) - (Street Triple).
You know I ride with Pigeon a lot. Well, Street Triple Homo Lives Matter Laughing No it's not just that, I've always fancied one but I'm never drawn to it, in a weird way, and in Essex down here they're practically fodder for the light fingered little fucking pikeys. I know that's true of anything exotic too, but at least they're coming tooled up and 'working for their living'. I'll have to try one at some point though. Maybe just not on this bike swap.

Marjay - GSX-S1000 and Speed Twin.
A lot in me wants to like them but I can't really get on with the looks - that said, if it's the right bike it's the right bike, and that brings me onto resale; having taken a bit of a thump on my Sprint I'm keen to avoid the grand a year depreciation charge of having a popular bike where there's plenty around. But that would only apply if I'm coming to sell it, of course. I'll stick it on the list to have a look over Smile Speed Twin would be great but I fear a bit new / depreciation heavy for me at this point in time.

Thunderguts - Street Twin & R9T.
Thanks for the view on the Street Twin - that is what I was worried about, ie just getting my confidence back and saying, not enough power, on with the next thing. Unfortunately my leg issue won't improve, the nerves are dead and that's that, ho hum. On your pure logic perspective and - based on what I've said above about resale value above (I just don't know where I'll be in a few years time) they seem to hold value well so I'm unlikely to drop grands just having it sit in the garage. Weight is heavier than I was looking for but carrying it low in the frame might mean a lot. It's worth an investigation Smile

WR - various.
Thanks, that's actually a really useful write up for me. The FTR looks a bit expensive for what I want - I know I didn't mention budget because I am flexible (haha, my budget is anyway) but £8k would be absolute ceiling for something that doesn't do very many miles. I get where you're coming from with the Interceptor etc - having ridden one, I really liked it but I don't really 'want one' the way I should and the Triumph does feel like a safe bet of something that I need to bring confidence back but will ultimately prove unsatisfying.

Various - Z900RS.
I really like these and they are an option but I think it's going to be a few years before I decide to go for one, just to let the prices settle down. That said if one pops up local I'll go for a ride - at least I'll know what I do and don't like about it.

So far we have at least two possibly three new candidates and has probably ruled out at least one so that' really helped me shape some ideas from behind a screen rather than out on a road. For that, guys, I'm very thankful Smile

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:34 - 24 Jun 2020    Post subject: Re: Wot Bike M8? An actual bike chat on BCF Reply with quote

wr6133 wrote:

can anyone link me to the review in question? BCF search-findey isn't great Sad

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:43 - 24 Jun 2020    Post subject: Re: Wot Bike M8? An actual bike chat on BCF Reply with quote

arry wrote:
wr6133 wrote:

can anyone link me to the review in question? BCF search-findey isn't great Sad

In 'ere:

https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=330703

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 07:55 - 25 Jun 2020    Post subject: Re: Wot Bike M8? An actual bike chat on BCF Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:

Noice, smort.

My suggestion was maybe for the unfaired one as I will agree the S is something of... an acquired taste in the looks dept.

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:38 - 25 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the MT09, lots of fun. I don't like the XSR900. The ergos and rising position are all wrong for such an aggressive engine. It's set up for cruising around and I found it really hard not to slide back on the seat when opening it up a bit. Didn't feel right to me. I do like the styling though.

World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:01 - 25 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:
An actual bike chat on BCF

A chat about bikes - on BCF?
How novel! How so very dare you!

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:49 - 25 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about ktm 790 duke? I use one all day to instruct on. Nice and upright, and light as fuck. 2p worth on z900... Mrs didn't like the stretch to the bars and ended up getting a cb1000r. The scrambler 1200 is brilliant, but as heavy as your ktm.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:03 - 26 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:

Various - Z900RS.
I really like these and they are an option but I think it's going to be a few years before I decide to go for one, just to let the prices settle down. That said if one pops up local I'll go for a ride - at least I'll know what I do and don't like about it.

I'm really keen to see from someone a good write-up on these in the real world. I don't know why, not like I can afford one. I think the 'cafe racer' version has just really caught my imagination. A touch of rose tinted specs maybe, but I think it looks like a far better effort than the old Zephyrs were. I seriously want a tuned one!

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:05 - 26 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tuono V4. Fairly upright, and an absolute giggle to ride. I do not trust myself to keep my license on one.

Quickly
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 18:38 - 30 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:
Now this has done me proud. Thank you BCF masters Smile

Right, top down order:

Old Git: Afraid the MT09 in general does nothing for me, but I have from your suggestion rediscovered the XSR900 and that's got some potential, so I'll add it to the list of possibles Smile

I bought an XSR900 on Friday there and so far it's great. It handles like a dream, is so confidence inspiring in the corners, is light, looks amazing, gets up to (at least) 115 mph easily, sits at 100 on the motorway with no issues (even the buffeting is fine), pretty cheap, unanimously positive reviews on YouTube, lots of potential to customise.

So far I would definitely recommend it!

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:04 - 30 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got one or the other of them scramblers on my To Do list.
And they're very close to the top.

I'm up to the "mentalist" phase in my career (as opposed to the "kill myself" phase which I managed to skip) so it kind of goes:

1. Have a brief flirtation with a Ducati Monster then dump it like the slut it is
2. Wrestle a V-Max, in an oily pit of bears.
3. Scramblers.

4. Zimmer Frame.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:18 - 30 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:

1. Have a brief flirtation with a Ducati Monster then dump it like the slut it is
2. Wrestle a V-Max, in an oily pit of bears.
3. Scramblers.
4a. Motorised zimmer frame.
4b. Zimmer Frame.

Let's not rush too quickly into old age Smile
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 303 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2