Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Musical Instruments for Kids

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:48 - 24 Jun 2020    Post subject: Musical Instruments for Kids Reply with quote

Given that even though the kids going back to school I think standards of education might slip for a while Wink I'm going to attempt to teach some music Shocked

I bought an ocarina a while back and I was quite surprised how fiddly the things are! (BTW I don't mean those pointless 4-hole efforts.)

Anyhoo, I'm looking for recommendations for 6+ years. I've always had an irrational dislike of things you can't get an octave out of so I'm a bit out of touch with the value of something like a tin whistle. Recorder seems another obvious choice but terrible music teachers in my childhood have poisoned the things.

Kicking about I have ukuleles and a Venova but they might be a bit advanced? My midi keyboard have way too many distracting buttons. I even considered programming something simple into my Eigenharp - bit of an oxymoron Smile

So, get over my own prejudices or are there other instruments I should consider?

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 14:50 - 24 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kazoos. Mr. Green

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:52 - 24 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mandolin. Small, narrow neck, only 4 (pairs) of strings, standard tuning is like open G on guitar, really easy to bar across for major chords and making other chords easy.
Only downside, possibly, is fingering pairs of strings for little fingers, but might be ok?
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:53 - 24 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
Kazoos. Mr. Green

^ Kill him and move on.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:56 - 24 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kids pick up stuff so quickly; I think ukes are good because they're a friendly size/shape, don't need much finger strength to fret and you can pick them up pretty cheaply (so less tears when they get dropped/bashed into a table etc.).

Funnily enough I actually played my tin whistle last night for the first time in years . . . had to extract the spider and web/food store from inside of it first though; storing it in the garage clearly has pitfalls. Laughing

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:59 - 24 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since you already have ukes, how about open tuning them?

Or Drums. Kids like drums.
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:07 - 24 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Shaggy D.A. wrote:
Since you already have ukes, how about open tuning them?

Sounds like the perfect solution. Sets them up for advancing onto a guitar later too.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 15:15 - 24 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could try a rusty trombone.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:40 - 24 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThunderGuts wrote:
Kids pick up stuff so quickly; I think ukes are good because they're a friendly size/shape, don't need much finger strength to fret and you can pick them up pretty cheaply (so less tears when they get dropped/bashed into a table etc.)

FWIW, an acquaintance who's a primary school music teacher prefers them as her default instrument for a class these days rather than the traditional recorder (and that was before the coronavirus era, too)

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:45 - 24 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
You could try a rusty trombone.

Really, I need to slap a NSFW tag on kids' musical instruments thread Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Regarding the mandolin, I played one for a few years for a bit of fun. Are you serious? Double course, high tension metal strings?! Hardly something I'd inflict on an adult let alone my 6yo granddaughter Wink

Don't get me wrong: it's a totally underrated instrument. Same key and fingering as a violin (but without the associated snobbishness) and fantastic range compared to something similar sized like a uke.

I'm wondering whether kids approach things from a rhythm perspective (drums, uke chords) or melody (tin whistle, recorder, etc.) As I don't know how to play a tin whistle at all I think I'll get one and play a few tunes for her on both that and the ukulele and see which she's most interested in.

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:13 - 24 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tin whistles are ace; get a basic book or search online as although the obvious scale is easy enough, fingering gets weird the higher you go. You also have to blow quite hard for it to work properly and subsequently can make a lot of noise.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:19 - 24 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many a marvellous evening weve spent at the bcf bbq campfire singing campfire songs accompanied by Chickenstrip on his Tambourell and Ste on Kazoo.
When muzik meant something.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 16:40 - 24 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThunderGuts wrote:
Tin whistles are ace; get a basic book or search online as although the obvious scale is easy enough, fingering gets weird the higher you go. You also have to blow quite hard for it to work properly and subsequently can make a lot of noise.

Yes, whistles, you'll get more than an octave out of one, although there is a limited range of scales available.

I can highly recommend sweettone brand tin whistles as sounding nice and being one of the easiest to play, particularly on the higher notes. They don't take a huge amount of force to hit the note but equally, make a clear distinction between the high and low range. One of the few that'll hit a very clear and crisp high B (if it's in the key of D). Also cheap.

Most people start with one in the key of D which has broadly the same fingering as a descant recorder, unless they have particularly small fingers.

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:47 - 24 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tin whistle, uke and a mandolin . . . set up a folk band. Very Happy

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:21 - 24 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Korg volcas.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sqh-VgaBDTI

Teenage Engineering pocket operators.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBnc9Y0iOBQ

Be cooler than all the other kids...instruments that can wreck a massive PA system with ease.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:47 - 24 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howling Terror wrote:
Korg volcas.

Be cooler than all the other kids...instruments that can wreck a massive PA system with ease.

If she seems like a natural she can have my Kaoscillator but I think that's a bit far off!

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:08 - 24 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:

Regarding the mandolin, I played one for a few years for a bit of fun. Are you serious? Double course, high tension metal strings?! Hardly something I'd inflict on an adult let alone my 6yo granddaughter Wink

Tbf, It's along time since I played one, and I've never had kids - are they really that fragile then? Laughing

Poseidon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:08 - 24 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just as lockdown was approaching, I sensed homeschooling was afoot. Bought a digital piano and signed up to simply piano. They spend a minimum of 30min (typically upwards of an hour each) a day doing piano practice and 3 months on their progress has been staggering.

They've gotten so good, if they're playing a song I know on the guitar, I'll pull up a chair and jam along.

We've tried them on recorders, half size guitars, trumpet and a couple of others, but they didn't take to it. I don't know if it's because they're learning songs from the off, or that its app based or what, but they love learning the piano and from using the app, they can actually play using sheet music too.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:16 - 24 Jun 2020    Post subject: Re: Musical Instruments for Kids Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
Anyhoo, I'm looking for (musical instrument) recommendations for 6+ years.

Kicking about I have ukuleles and a Venova but they might be a bit advanced? My midi keyboard have way too many distracting buttons.

I think it would be a good idea if their learning/entertainment were to lead to possibilities in a couple of years. If you are familiar with an instrument/music, you can actually teach rather than (just) experiment together.

So, a keyboard or ukelele would be excellent. A recorder could also lead on to other things, and I wouldn't discount it an option, descant or possibly tenor if hands are developed enough. Choose a nice encouraging jazzy-looking whatever that's got a bit of pizzazz, not too expensive because that would be silly, but not an ultracheap POC either.

Edit: the thought occurs that a traditional upright piano might be good, if you have room, being nice and solid and imposing with a good big voice, you can get a used one for "not very much". Get one with an iron frame if you do, not a wooden one!

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:29 - 24 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://youtu.be/UmmOJx_Hxto

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 20:09 - 24 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Melodion?

Poseidon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:22 - 24 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcQQtt6ISRX8fhOYVJtye788tIsSIgyTx1aDpw&usqp=CAU

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:38 - 24 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
Howling Terror wrote:
Korg volcas.

If she seems like a natural she can have my Kaoscillator but I think that's a bit far off!

Something in the back of my mind was telling me you had something techy.... Thinking maybe why I thought of the vulvas.

Who posted a theremin...Poseidon...typical. Very Happy
Anyone who can play one of those, in tune with other instruments...then wow!

Even master synth geeks just use them for FX.

Check out arguably the best theremin player and listen here how she 'searches' for the correct pitch...then adds a F-tonne of vibrato. Such is the difficulty. https://youtu.be/pSzTPGlNa5U - Only 2 mins long and simply wonderful.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:37 - 24 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
Mandolin. Small, narrow neck, only 4 (pairs) of strings, standard tuning is like open G on guitar, really easy to bar across for major chords and making other chords easy.
Only downside, possibly, is fingering pairs of strings for little fingers, but might be ok?

Erm standard mandolin tuning is G D A E same as a violin... Razz

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:40 - 24 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ukeleles are cheap and fun to play. Theres the traditional recorder or as already suggested, a tin whistle.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 300 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2