Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

UK F35s, carrier borne at last!

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Found on the 'Net
View previous topic : View next topic  

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:57 - 26 Jun 2020    Post subject: UK F35s, carrier borne at last! Reply with quote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdfSSsdu3wA

Regardless of anyone's views on UK military spending, I've always thought this has to be one of the most rewarding environments to work in - I'm a little bit jealous of the crews!
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 13:16 - 26 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

So can they run the VTOL ones at full speed now?

Amazing, back to where we were 50 years ago. Isn't modern technology great...

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:37 - 26 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suspect the overall capability might have crept forward just a tiny little bit though.

Anyway, that's not my point. I actually had a dream once that I was a member of a deck crew on a busy US carrier on ops. That's one dream that has never faded from my memory. I still have the feelings of what it was like to be part of such a team, and the sense of the noise, the smells, the rush. Some of which I have experienced IRL, but this dream seemed even more real somehow than my memories of actually working with aircraft.

Never mind. Better to use it as an opportunity to have a whinge Rolling Eyes
One wonders what you were expecting though - beam me up Scotty? Laughing
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 18:25 - 26 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was expecting we ought to have made sure we had an aeroplane that works as advertised before scrapping the ones they were supposed to be replacing...

Last time I looked, they had a speed limit on the VTOL versions of that plane because... well... they still didn't work properly. They still have a 7G restriction it appears.

It's not a celebration, it's the tail-end of a fucking debacle you'd struggle to make up.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:00 - 26 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please accept my apologies for bringing it up Smile

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:29 - 26 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Based upon the argument that if it looks right, it is right, they're not as pretty as Harriers. Wink

Also concerns over missing key elements such as aircraft and support ships.

I do love to see a flying thing though.

sniff6
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:41 - 26 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

umm not quite as fascinating as a steam catapult launch F18 or my favorite the tomcat. More a wobble off the front of the ship.Just remind me why we need VTOL aircraft at sea ?? Rolling Eyes

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:48 - 26 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look, I apologised for posting it, didn't I?! Mad

Laughing

You can't beat pairs of F4 Phantoms taking off on reheat for an aviation spectacle! (You had to actually see it in person).

One of the most impressive sights I've seen first hand was when some exercise or other was held when I was at RAF Gutersloh. I can't remember exact numbers now, but we had a lift with about a dozen Pumas and however many Chinooks we managed to cobble together - quite a sight all rising from the airfield together.

The Yanks had so many helicopters (Apaches, Blackhawks, Hueys, Loaches etc) in a line up at one airbase we visited, they didn't even have the pilots to fly them all at once, but rotated them along the line just to keep the airframe hours approximately equal.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:57 - 26 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

sniff6 wrote:
umm not quite as fascinating as a steam catapult launch F18 or my favorite the tomcat. More a wobble off the front of the ship.Just remind me why we need VTOL aircraft at sea ?? Rolling Eyes

Cheap, titchy carriers, though I'm not sure the extra expense of the F35's capability justifies the saving.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:10 - 26 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
titchy carriers

The largest warships ever built in the UK, approx three times the displacement of the old Invincible class carriers.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:19 - 26 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
titchy carriers

The largest warships ever built in the UK, approx three times the displacement of the old Invincible class carriers.

Informative. So what's the answer to sniff6's question?

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:34 - 26 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know. Do you? Versatility perhaps? Bearing in mind carrier-borne aircraft are supposed to operate anywhere in the world in various roles. It's not necessarily about being carrier-bound. Just guessing though.

But why a large carrier (make up your mind Razz ) for an aircraft that needs less room, for a nation that can't afford to crowd the deck anyway? Aspiration? Laughing

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:47 - 26 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
Don't know. Do you? Versatility perhaps? Bearing in mind carrier-borne aircraft are supposed to operate anywhere in the world in various roles. It's not necessarily about being carrier-bound. Just guessing though.

But why a large carrier (make up your mind Razz ) for an aircraft that needs less room, for a nation that can't afford to crowd the deck anyway? Aspiration? Laughing

I dunno. If this evening has shown anything it's that I know F'all. Wink However I do think (or do I only feel?) that the Navy Harrier force had small carriers as a virtue. Wikipaedia (I know) says,
Quote:
The aircraft has three main variants: the conventional takeoff and landing F-35A (CTOL), the short take-off and vertical-landing F-35B (STOVL), and the carrier-based F-35C (CV/CATOBAR).

You could be right that the nominally carrier-based variant is more versatile.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:12 - 26 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:

I dunno. If this evening has shown anything it's that I know F'all.

Well, you could always pretend you know everything by using Google and not owning up to it (no one does that, do they?!).
Your comment on titchy carriers made me think, that's not right, is it? I've seen pics of them where they look pretty damn big to me. So I did look it up. But often, I'd prefer a conversation without pitting my use of Google against someone else's use of Google. So a couple of facts might get lost along the way. Big deal. We ain't policy-making.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:40 - 26 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:

I dunno. If this evening has shown anything it's that I know F'all.

Well, you could always pretend you know everything by using Google and not owning up to it (no one does that, do they?!).
Your comment on titchy carriers made me think, that's not right, is it? I've seen pics of them where they look pretty damn big to me. So I did look it up. But often, I'd prefer a conversation without pitting my use of Google against someone else's use of Google. So a couple of facts might get lost along the way. Big deal. We ain't policy-making.

That sounds supportive but you haven't given me any karma. Whistle

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:41 - 26 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Razz

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 23:46 - 26 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:

You can't beat pairs of F4 Phantoms taking off on reheat for an aviation spectacle! (You had to actually see it in person).

You can come fairly close to seeing it in person if you go to the carrier experience exhibit at the fleet air arm museum in Dorset.

I think I'd still go for a lightning on a hot scramble for the wheels up and proceed directly to vertical factor, but you'd need a hell of a long carrier.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:05 - 27 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a youth I used to drive up to Upper Heyford now and then, and if I was lucky the USAF F-111s would vibrate my internal organs as they disappeared over the crest of the runway and then reappear airborne. USAF Upper Heyford used to host a brilliant annual airshow of contemporary military jets too.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:44 - 27 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
chickenstrip wrote:

You can come fairly close to seeing it in person if you go to the carrier experience exhibit at the fleet air arm museum in Dorset.

I think I'd still go for a lightning on a hot scramble for the wheels up and proceed directly to vertical factor, but you'd need a hell of a long carrier.

Just me living on my memories Smile
Yeah, went to that museum with couple of guys from on here - twas pretty good.
I was in the ATC. Me and a school mate were aircraft nuts, and we went to RAF Coningsby with our squadron for about a week. The best I'd ever seen until then were the flypasts on the Queen's birthday - Phantoms, Buccaneers, Jaguars, Victors, Vulcans - to us then it seemed like huge formations! Our house was directly under their flight path as they came in low for their run over London.

But at Coningsby we got a real treat. Imagine it, school kids, about 14yo! We got to help the techies in a Phantom squadron hangar, crawling over these huge beasts - they really seemed massive to us then (we were only passing them spanners and stuff, maybe got to remove a panel or two). We did an a/c wash on the pan, the techies and us fucking about soaking each other more than the aircraft.
My mate and me spent a couple of evenings standing by the airfield perimeter watching the Phantoms lift in pairs - ground shaking, deafened.
We also got to clamber inside the Lancaster at the BBMF, which was stationed there...think it might still be.

That feeling of being around operational military aircraft never left me - no wonder I joined the RAF. Working on Puma helicopters on the pan at RAF Gutersloh still gave me that same feeling years later, with all the sights, sounds, noise and smell on a busy military airbase - our squadron's Pumas, 3 & 4 sqn Harriers, 18sqn Chinooks, and all the various visiting a/c types taxying past our pan. Motorcycles always had something of that for me too, maybe unsurprisingly. Electric bikes? Pfffft! Noise, man! Very Happy Something very visceral about it all.

Been to many airshows since. Another sight that has stuck with me was the lineup of WW2 combat aircraft at a Duxford show - Spitfires, Hurricanes, Mustangs etc - seemed the line went on forever, and must have been about 40 aircraft in the flypast at the end. That's a sight to see!

I don't think much about aircraft these days, but occasionally I'll see a Hawk or Tornado here, heading for the Lake District, and some of it all comes back. Jeez, feel like an old git with the memories! Laughing

TL;DR
Anyway, that was really my point with this thread - good that young guys and gals in the UK today can get the experience of working on a carrier again. It will be a very rewarding experience for the memory banks.

Have you seen/heard/felt a Vulcan do a vertical climb from low level? Rearranges your atoms!

Last edited by chickenstrip on 12:27 - 27 Jun 2020; edited 2 times in total

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 12:10 - 27 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:

Have you seen/heard/felt a Vulcan do a vertical climb from low level? Rearranges your atoms!

Yes, at Leuchars. However, sorry to say it's got nothing on a Tupelov Backfire! Fucker blew the doors off the hanger while they were doing engine power tests then rotated so fast on take-off they set fire to the runway. They threw a B1B Lancer about one year too doing stall turns, vertical climbs and fast passes.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:24 - 27 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
chickenstrip wrote:

Yes, at Leuchars. However, sorry to say it's got nothing on a Tupelov Backfire! Fucker blew the doors off the hanger while they were doing engine power tests

What, literally?! I picture hangar doors - huge, heavy things! Well, the ones on our hangars at Gutersloh were the concertina type, could maybe imagine it with those. (Think they used to house Messerschmidt fighters during the war - seem to remember someone telling me that).

But now I'm wondering wtf they were doing, doing engine runs in a hangar?! Russians! Bet they were all on the vodka too Laughing

Quote:
They threw a B1B Lancer about one year too doing stall turns, vertical climbs and fast passes.

Always thought that was a beautiful aeroplane - sleek, purposeful-looking. The Russians did a fair copy of the idea with the TU160 (Blackjack), but not quite as aesthetically pleasing in my mind.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 13:17 - 27 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:

What, literally?! I picture hangar doors - huge, heavy things! Well, the ones on our hangars at Gutersloh were the concertina type, could maybe imagine it with those. (Think they used to house Messerschmidt fighters during the war - seem to remember someone telling me that).

But now I'm wondering wtf they were doing, doing engine runs in a hangar?! Russians! Bet they were all on the vodka too Laughing

No, they were on the apron outside and it was proper hangar with the 3-stage windy-handle doors that you must never open using a landrover.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:40 - 27 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
chickenstrip wrote:

No, they were on the apron outside and it was proper hangar with the 3-stage windy-handle doors that you must never open using a landrover.

It still suggests clouded thinking to me Laughing

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 13:44 - 27 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

The harrier was never supersonic and looked like a bus on radar whereas the lightning Ii is both stealthy and supersonic.

Admittedly supersonic speed seems to damage the stealthy aspects and the antenna (which is a bit of a fuckup bearing in mind the the data transfer rates with the situational awareness aspects of it)

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:28 - 27 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:

They threw a B1B Lancer about one year too doing stall turns, vertical climbs and fast passes.

I remember seeing that at Leuchars as a kid. The noise was fucking incredible.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 303 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Found on the 'Net All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1