Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Phone mount for clip-ons - some ideas for others

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration
View previous topic : View next topic  

kolu
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 12:06 - 27 Jun 2020    Post subject: Phone mount for clip-ons - some ideas for others Reply with quote

Hi all,
as I have a new bike with clip-ons instead of standard bars (Suzuki SV650S) the installation of phone mount seemed to be a bit more tricky. All the usual cheap stuff is just made to be mounted on bars and there was no space on my bars left. And I'm not going to spend 50 quid or what for a bloody RAM mount. So it got me thinking:

The same as on outside ends of my bars there are actually 13mm (or something) holes on the inside ends of my bars. First idea was of course to plug there a big straight bar end and clamp the phone mount on it. It would work well I'd guess. But then the price of bar ends made me thinking of cheaper method (being cheap-ass on reduced pay furlough is no easy business) so I got my hands on:
- 12mm bolt anchor (expanding bolt/rawl bolt) with M10 bolt for 12mm hole, £1.82
- GUB PRO1 aluminium phone holder (after being happy with GUB G-81 on my last bike for a year), £7.22

I could have drilled a hole for the phone mount to be directly screwed via its stem to the M10 bolt of the anchor, but I couldn't find a correct size tap and then my workshop possibilities are severely limited (espresso machine workshop, not metalworking) so I took a piece of aluminium to make a small bracket between the phone mount stem and anchor bolt. I have bent the bracket to make the phone stand sort-of "upright" and secured the critical parts of the assembly with a dab of epoxy putty.
Another part was the slight struggle to get the anchor inside the bar as it was obviously bit thicker (or maybe I'm quite thick as well having no calipers to measure stuff, lol). I've sawed up the cuts in the anchor (less material = smaller minimum diameter) and ground down the most protruding bits from the outside, then the anchor actually fit snugly and was easy to tighten up.

Anyway - too much words and no picture wouldn't be helpful to nobody so see the pictures. I hope that this might bring some inspiration to anyone else facing similar dilemma like me.

https://www.bikechatforums.com/download.php?id=103740

https://www.bikechatforums.com/download.php?id=103739

https://www.bikechatforums.com/download.php?id=103738

https://www.bikechatforums.com/download.php?id=103737
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Skudd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:06 - 27 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

And when it rains?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

kolu
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 16:02 - 27 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skudd wrote:
And when it rains?

My phone is fully waterproof. I used basically the same mount on my old bike. Never had a problem. I'm also not suggesting this is the solution for everyone.

It is just an idea as I've never seen bar end mounts and fork stem mount would be a bit impractical on my SV (or maybe not, I'm not sure).

Of course one can cannibalise bar end mirrors or anything else. It is just an idea. I'm not earning anything from anyone buying the anchor bolt or gub mount...

Analogkid
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 23:28 - 27 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cracking job, well done.

willis1337
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 11:07 - 04 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a good job but I should warn you re the clamp you're using. My mate had one of those when we were touring in Germany. He was on a CB1000 naked and had his phone attached to the bars using that same clamp. We were hitting speeds of up to 130mph on the autobahn when his phone suddenly went flying.

As he's a bit of a mental he immediately hit the brakes and pulled into the hard shoulder, parked up, got off and ran back and retrieved his phone from lane 2.

The screen was smashed (apple phone) and he managed to get in repaired when we got to Pilsen (in Czech Republic) but cost him 120 euros iirc. Had to be done as it was his contact with his mrs and his satnav.

I appreciate you have a fairing and may not hit those speeds in the UK, however I would be very nervous using that type of clamp. Personally I use a quad lock for my phone which is pricey but the phone will be staying with the bike, as no amount of wind will remove the cover from the phone. If you are going to use this clamp I would recommend that you use a lanyard or similar failsafe, connected to your phone, if possible, just in case.

kolu
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 18:28 - 04 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

willis1337 wrote:
If you are going to use this clamp I would recommend that you use a lanyard or similar failsafe, connected to your phone, if possible, just in case.

That is a very good advice and honestly I was thinking about something like that. Thank you.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 288 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1