Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Begin The Book Burning!

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:34 - 29 Jun 2020    Post subject: Begin The Book Burning! Reply with quote

Alex Jones was just the warm up act to test the social media gas chambers. Seems the purge is in now in full swing on YouTube, Reddit, Twitch, etc.

https://www.theverge.com/2020/6/29/21307303/youtube-bans-molyneux-duke-richard-spencer-conduct-hate-speech

https://techcrunch.com/2020/06/29/trump-suspended-from-twitch-as-reddit-bans-the-the_donald-and-additional-subreddits/

Quote:
“We have strict policies prohibiting hate speech on YouTube, and terminate any channel that repeatedly or egregiously violates those policies,” a YouTube spokesperson told The Verge. “After updating our guidelines to better address supremacist content, we saw a 5x spike in video removals and have terminated over 25,000 channels for violating our hate speech policies.”

All counter-revolutionary speech is now verboten Silence

Im-a-Ridah
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:50 - 29 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Banning people generally makes them more popular. Being a Libertarian or Conservative and banned from Twitter borders on being a professional qualification at this point.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:57 - 29 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

A woke Facebook friend proclaimed to have berated and blocked acquaintances deemed to have expressed unacceptable views, thus creating a personal echo chamber. Said friend later posted, "Important phrases we should all be willing to say as we learn and grow," with no hint that they might ever be the one to change. Silence is violence they say, unless you're expressing a contrary view, which is also violence.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Suntan Sid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:07 - 30 Jun 2020    Post subject: Re: Begin The Book Burning! Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
Seems the purge is in now in full swing on YouTube, Reddit, Twitch, etc.

Well, they are privately owned businesses whose sole aim is to make as much money as possible, therefore their decision must be a financial one!

Isn't that how the "free market" works?

Easy-X wrote:
All counter-revolutionary speech is now verboten Silence

But it isn't is it?
Brietbart, OAN etc., (privately owned businesses, whose sole aim is to make as much money as possible), are still around to serve the needs of the world's alt right fantasists!

Isn't that how "free market" works?

You pays your money and makes your choice, what's the problem?

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:51 - 30 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Privately owned companies they may be but, for the moment, they operate as platforms in a similar fashion to phone and mail companies. Going down the road of picking and choosing content casts them as publishers which is an entirely different thing.

I used to agree "they're only following the money" but with recent exposures of moderators and internal policies at Google and Facebook we're shown they're more interested in following ideology. Again, maybe not a big deal for those two but IIRC correctly the complete opposite of the mindset Reddit was initially based on. (Not that Reddit has any relevance these days.)

What's the so called "free market" got to do with anything? Odd phrase to randomly insert into a conversation. Anyhoo, since when have we ever had that?! It's been Crony Capitalism for the last century Sad "Free Market" today, rigged when it suits.

Yes, there are alternatives... for the tech literate. But for the muggles Google is the Internet. And, highly depressing as it may be, some people just live for Facebook and Instagram.

Not that it matters: once an alternative rises to any semblance of competence they* go for payment processors. If that fails they block them from Google searches. Finally the domain names are blitzed. It's a pattern oft repeated.

TBH I'm not that interested in watching "alt right fantasists" in the same way I'm not interested in watching "far right lunatics" - both are terribly dull - but having a choice might be nice!

We shall see how "get woke, go broke" pans out and whether this blitz will bring back the like of Coca Cola and Unilever. All we need now is the Orange Hooligan to jump to Parler...

*Pick an ideology, Marxists are my favourite generic boogie man at the moment but the world moves fast!

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 00:58 - 30 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wait until they start burning actual books...

That said, I also burn books. Specifically the boring, anaemic dross that makes up most content by 19th century female authors (and a particular poet from Hull) which is lauded as literature. Cheaper than firelighters and there's plenty of it about

I don't see that as censorship though. I see it as an extreme form of literary criticism and a backlash against the echo chamber of the literati who force it down the throats of schoolchildren and try to make them feel shite about themselves if they don't agree it is good. You are free to make as many shit sandwiches as you want but don't expect me to eat it and don't be offended if I throw in in the bin.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 02:27 - 30 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Just wait until they start burning actual books...

That said, I also burn books. Specifically the boring, anaemic dross that makes up most content by 19th century female authors (and a particular poet from Hull) which is lauded as literature. Cheaper than firelighters and there's plenty of it about

I don't see that as censorship though. I see it as an extreme form of literary criticism and a backlash against the echo chamber of the literati who force it down the throats of schoolchildren and try to make them feel shite about themselves if they don't agree it is good. You are free to make as many shit sandwiches as you want but don't expect me to eat it and don't be offended if I throw in in the bin.

Which female poet was that then? The only one I can find any reference too is Florence Margaret Smith and she was 20th century, albeit very early. The only poet I know from Hull without using Google is Philip Larkin and that's only because my daughter had him in her A level literature course.

Even googling I can't find anyone famous (male or female) within those parameters so spill the beans please. Thumbs Up

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 08:23 - 30 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

Which female poet was that then? The only one I can find any reference too is Florence Margaret Smith and she was 20th century, albeit very early. The only poet I know from Hull without using Google is Philip Larkin and that's only because my daughter had him in her A level literature course.

Even googling I can't find anyone famous (male or female) within those parameters so spill the beans please. Thumbs Up

Maybe my syntax. Perhaps should have read:

19th century female authors. Along with a particular poet from Hull.

Yes Larkin. Worst sort of up their own rectum literati. He only wrote poems so other people would know how smart he was... Then wrote a book about his own poetry pointing out how smart he was in case anyone missed anything. Wanker.

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:32 - 30 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look at this objectively. What the OP didn't quote was the bit from Youtube's policy that defined the content to be banned:

“videos alleging that a group is superior in order to justify discrimination, segregation or exclusion based on qualities like age, gender, race, caste, religion, sexual orientation or veteran status.”

That would include white power, black power, all religions, freemasons etc etc etc. On the face of it, it makes sense because anybody saying that they are better than the rest of us and acting upon it is by definition whatever the collective noun for 'wankers' is...

However, the term “Quis custodiet ipsos Custodies?" has never been more apt.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:35 - 30 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diggs wrote:
On the face of it, it makes sense because anybody saying that they are better than the rest of us and acting upon it is by definition whatever the collective noun for 'wankers' is...

Time to ban sports and competition?

How are they going to burn Kindle books?
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 08:40 - 30 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:

Those go up a treat if you make a hole in the battery.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:45 - 30 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
chickenstrip wrote:

Those go up a treat if you make a hole in the battery.

But then you're also denying yourself access to books you like.
We could deny people all books. I mean, even if the nutters say a book is ok, how will they control how someone might interpret it?

Idea We are all undeniably equal when we're dead! (assuming we make sure everyone's grave plot is identical).
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:03 - 30 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
A woke Facebook friend proclaimed to have berated and blocked acquaintances deemed to have expressed unacceptable views, thus creating a personal echo chamber. Said friend later posted, "Important phrases we should all be willing to say as we learn and grow," with no hint that they might ever be the one to change. Silence is violence they say, unless you're expressing a contrary view, which is also violence.

I never thought of it that way. Thank you. Now I will.

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:13 - 30 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Social media needs to be regulated in the same way that TV, radio and news is. I'm amazed it's managed to get away with being such a cesspit for so long.

That being said, I find it odd how people who typically deride the left with statements such as "if you don't like it, just leave", are now getting all in a huff about this when really they should eat their words and just leave to make their own social media platform where their favourite right wing hate preachers are welcome.

It's probably also worth keeping in mind that the overwhelming majority of popular talking heads these days in the internet world are right wing inclined. I'm sure the same banning response would happen if a worryingly large amount of lefties gained massive popularity and started talking about overthrowing the capitalist classes or something.

Im-a-Ridah
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:54 - 30 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:

Ask her how often she has said those phases when acting on information from a conservative! I think she is ignorant of her own ignorance.

It's a she right? Laughing

https://www.bikechatforums.com/download.php?id=103758

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:22 - 30 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've checked in on some of the people mentioned in these bans and it's a close to a digital book burning as it can be...

These "rules" are applied retrospectively in the same way statues of centuries dead people are evaluated based on current social mōrēs. And it's not like any particular offending work is deleted or hidden the entire channel disappears. Basically having one piece of work deemed "dangerous" is enough to invalidate your entire body of work.

The reality of the Internet is that this is somewhat futile. Stuff can be uploaded elsewhere but at it's heart is the principle of ideologically driven revisionism.

Are we happy to see the back of Jimmy Savile? There's a fair chunk of ToTP that has to go in the bin. Oh well, can't be helped. Do you like Gary Glitter's Rock & Roll or My Gang? Probably not as much now. How about a bit of Michael Jackson? Might be safer if we bin all his music, TV and film work. Oh? That's a step too far is it?!

Nothing's too far a leap if we're talking about keeping the kids safe. Take smoking, for example. We all know kids only take up smoking because they saw it on TV. No more actors smoking in films please. And while you're at it could you just go back and digitally revise Casablanca 'cos Rick looks well kewl and won't somebody think of the children!

Regarding literal digital book burning, pouring petrol over a Kindle might be satisfying but Amazon do have form for reaching into your device to delete the books you bought fair and square. And once we go down that road how far before someone thinks it's acceptable to erase all the digital copies of some pitiful TERF diatribe? And for an encore clear out Mein Kampf and The Bible. In the future Montag will be armed with a laptop and a SATA lead to see what's on everyone's hard drives Shocked

Thankfully we're not yet at such a dark place. Where we actually at is the construction of a massive chasm. The ideologs like to think they're throwing everyone who doesn't actively toe the party line into the abyss, never to be heard of again but in fact they all just moved to the other side. The problem comes when the two sides are forced to interact in some way like an election or a referendum.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:55 - 30 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im-a-Ridah wrote:
It's a she right? Laughing

Interesting. I was careful not to say, but yes.

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:05 - 30 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
I've checked in on some of the people mentioned in these bans and it's a close to a digital book burning as it can be...

These "rules" are applied retrospectively in the same way statues of centuries dead people are evaluated based on current social mōrēs. And it's not like any particular offending work is deleted or hidden the entire channel disappears. Basically having one piece of work deemed "dangerous" is enough to invalidate your entire body of work.

The reality of the Internet is that this is somewhat futile. Stuff can be uploaded elsewhere but at it's heart is the principle of ideologically driven revisionism.

There are only two realities here:

1. Youtube is run by leftists and liberals who want "the bad stuff" off their platform.

2. Youtube wants to remain maximally profitable and is afraid that advertisers will boycott them, just like what has happened to Facebook

Likely it's a mixture of the two, but I'm going to say that it's a bit closer to option 2 than option 1. So it isn't necessarily ideological revisionism. The only issue I see here is that social media is much larger of a thing than, say, a local magazine company, so the decision to publish or unpublish material is more widely discussed.

Furthermore, these are all American companies, where the culture is clearly one of profit above all else (look at all the flavours of shit hysterial news broadcasters they've got already), so as far as things stand at the moment this doesn't seem like anything more than 'free markets' in action to me. Nobody gets quite so upset about the profit-motivated actions of Fox News or CNN, or the truth-bending hysterical bile they choose to present... so what's the big deal when it comes to Alphabet Inc? It's a private company, not speakers corner!

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:34 - 30 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im-a-Ridah wrote:
Banning people generally makes them more popular. Being a Libertarian or Conservative and banned from Twitter borders on being a professional qualification at this point.

I'm not sure, I think the banning of Tommy Robinson by pretty much every outlet has rendered him powerless. I doubt they'd be the protest marches now if he was locked up.

Jmoan
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 00:52 - 01 Jul 2020    Post subject: Re: Begin The Book Burning! Reply with quote

They are businesses so should be treated like that instead of pretending they are dictatorships.

We could play a game of how many laws or clauses they have breached.

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:12 - 01 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

If these businesses ban all talk from a 'right of centre' perspective then their platforms become boring and meaningless. The whole point of FB for example is to argue the toss with people you wouldn't argue with if you met them in real life and that includes politics. These platforms are the digital equivalent of sitting in one's car swearing at other road users...

If all the interesting or edgy is taken down, then they become hollow echo chambers, people stop going on and revenue drops.

I bet there isn't a single one of us who hasn't said something on line that is FB/Twitter/YouTube ban-worthy.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:03 - 01 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diggs wrote:
If these businesses ban all talk from a 'right of centre' perspective then their platforms become boring and meaningless. The whole point of FB for example is to argue the toss with people you wouldn't argue with if you met them in real life and that includes politics. These platforms are the digital equivalent of sitting in one's car swearing at other road users...

If all the interesting or edgy is taken down, then they become hollow echo chambers, people stop going on and revenue drops.

I bet there isn't a single one of us who hasn't said something on line that is FB/Twitter/YouTube ban-worthy.

I had a 3 day hiatus in the FB jail for calling travellers pikey cvnts.

Dance!

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:58 - 01 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

Dance!

I've never had a formal FB ban, but I look forward to it. When it comes I suspect it will be something to do with my current downer on Guardian writers. Either that or my views on local crime deterrent involving a farmer's barn containing a barrel, straps and assorted randy livestock...

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:08 - 01 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diggs wrote:
Polarbear wrote:

Dance!

I've never had a formal FB ban, but I look forward to it. When it comes I suspect it will be something to do with my current downer on Guardian writers. Either that or my views on local crime deterrent involving a farmer's barn containing a barrel, straps and assorted randy livestock...

What are you actually achieving on there?
The best way to deal with FB, Twitter etc is to vote with your feet, i.e. stay away from them.

Skudd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:14 - 01 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had two FB bans for 3 days for each for calling the same thief a thief and a coward. I'm still waiting for him to come round my house to sort me out.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 298 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2