Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Yamaha Vity 125CC won't start

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

PaulVity125
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 12:41 - 30 Jun 2020    Post subject: Yamaha Vity 125CC won't start Reply with quote

Good morning all

Having issues with my little Vity 125

Started up the bike this morning, engine started but some horrible clunking noises like someone had put loose nuts and bolts in a washing machine and turned it on!

They stopped after I got going but was pretty silly, should have taken a cab instead. Got most of the way to work and the engine conked out as I came to a stop at a traffic light junction.

Luckily not too far from work so pushed it the last half mile!!

Tried to get the engine going again, sounds like its turning over but doesn't bite. Battery seems ok, Yellow battery light comes on and disappears as normal. Clutch the left brake and hold down the ignition but it doesn't start

Fuel around a quarter. Oil changed a month ago if that

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

Paul
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:49 - 30 Jun 2020    Post subject: Re: Yamaha Vity 125CC won't start Reply with quote

PaulVity125 wrote:
(with snips)Started up the bike this morning, engine started but some horrible clunking noises

They stopped after I got going ... the engine conked out as I came to a stop at a traffic light junction.

Tried to get the engine going again, sounds like its turning over but doesn't bite.l

Don't like the "clunking noises, but they stopped". Something to do with the primary drive (belt)?

What does "its turning over but doesn't bite" mean, it doesn't fire, or the starter just spins without turning the engine, or something else?

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:57 - 30 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like the starter sprag self destructed and was bouncing around the CVT case till it found somewhere safe to live. Now the motor just spins and spins. The sprag only engages when the motor spins so I could imagine it starting the engine the once and pinging off instead of disengaging.

No harm in popping the cover off the CVT to have a peek.

PaulVity125
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 15:35 - 30 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riejufixing- Yeah it didn't sound healthy at all. If I had an alternative to get to work I would have taken it.

I went to check on it at lunch. Tried starting her up again. Literally just turns over now and no hint of trying to burst into life

Difficult finding the right words if I am honest

Clunking noises/crunching noises were definitely not a good sign still not 100% but a mechanic friend of mine is taking a look on thursday to see what he can do.

Easy-X - You are bang on. Spins and Spins and doesn't want to start. May get him to take a look. really hoping it is something simple

Will let you guys know what it was! Thanks for writing back!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:59 - 30 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

OP, FFS let us know the outcome before you Rage-Flounce from the forum. 👍

(We've lost countless newly signed up members from the forums that way.) ☹

I hope it's not really bad news from your Bike Dr.

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:06 - 30 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

“O, wad some Power the giftie gie us
To show oor bikes so others see us!
It wad frae monie a blunder free us,
An' all that auld shite”

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:34 - 30 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulVity125 wrote:
Spins and Spins and doesn't want to start.

So you get a buzzing sort of whiney noise instead of "pump pump pump pump brrmmm!" when you press the starter button?

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:28 - 30 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

WD Forte wrote:
“O, wad some Power the giftie gie us
To show oor bikes so others see us!
It wad frae monie a blunder free us,
An' all that auld shite”

To quote the late and great Ricky Fulton,
You're suffering from terrible Burns.

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:55 - 01 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was going for William Topaz McGonagall at first but
reckoned it was too highbrow for you lot.

1claire
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 03:03 - 01 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Start with the simple things. Likely trouble spots include a blown fuse, or a malfunctioning kickstand safety switch or clutch/starter interlock switch. If the culprit is a blown fuse, replace it with one that carries the same amperage rating and give her another try.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 290 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1