BCF: Bike Chat Forums

New computer

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:44 - 06 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Presumably I can render onto the SSD though and use the big drive for storage? Increasing to a 550W power supply is less than £10 so that wouldn't be a problem.

Edit: ordered. Even our home cinema setup didn't cost this much. Shocked

Appreciate all the advice everyone. Thumbs Up

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 18:01 - 06 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

USB stick in with Windows (you can build it from any PC, media creation tool) if you don't have a readily available one, I can make you one and post.

Boot from that, install Windows 10 Pro to SSD, £3 key off eBay, done.

It is more the slow copy and writing.

My primary disk is 3500MB/s and 3000MB/s read and write. Your fastest is 450-500MB with the SSD. Your 5400rpm disk will be slower, so transferring say a 2-4GB video file (which is relatively small, I've got ones at 20GB+) will take some time. A 7200rpm will remove some of that time. I would probably consider either a hybrid one or just grabbing a 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda for £55 (unsure how much your 5400 is)

Its the only real thing I would change along with no Windows. 5400rpm is not your friend Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:25 - 06 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah I've already ordered; I guess I'll find out how well I get on with that speed! Ultimately I can presumably add in another HDD for videos only and use the big one for photos if I really struggle, but as I work with 1080p and in bursts rather than massive sessions, my files are never massive.

Thanks for the offer on the stick, but plumped with Windows with the build; one less thing to do and I'm time poor as well as now money poor. Laughing

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 22:06 - 06 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've bought a couple of 3 quid keys, no issues.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 23:11 - 06 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

It'll be fine mate, you can always pop a small bit of money in it later with a different drive or something, it'll be all good.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 292 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2